Lisin
  • Start Topic

• Replies 14.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)
51 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Can I just say how much I love that we all love baseball too!

Me too! I feel like it's harder to find other baseball fans compared to football and basketball.

48 minutes ago, BunsenBurner said:

@lemotomato Rangers vs Tampa Bay. It was real obvious right at the beginning of the game. They got up several times during the game. Third row.

Cool, I'll check it out, thanks!

This is the best I can do (I'm on a Chromebook :P)

592f9fc6d2523_Screenshot2017-05-31at9_52_45PM.png.e2c7b5c80b846702d1d7c11aa8eb433d.png

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5
(edited)
59 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Me too! I feel like it's harder to find other baseball fans compared to football and basketball.

Cool, I'll check it out, thanks!

This is the best I can do (I'm on a Chromebook :P)

592f9fc6d2523_Screenshot2017-05-31at9_52_45PM.png.e2c7b5c80b846702d1d7c11aa8eb433d.png

You did great! I believe that is the best you will get. There was one shot towards the beginning where they did the guy on the left up close but it wasn't for very long. I was happy they did because I could actually read the Felicity Smoak line on the shirt. I don't think I ever saw the 2 of them that well on the local broadcast.

Edited by BunsenBurner
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I feel like it's harder to find other baseball fans compared to football and basketball.

It's definitely easier to find fellow baseball fans in Houston these days with the Astros playing so well. I picked a good year to get season tickets. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

It's definitely easier to find fellow baseball fans in Houston these days with the Astros playing so well. I picked a good year to get season tickets. 

The team doing well definitely helps. I'm in Northern California, and both teams are having lousy seasons. The silver lining is that ticket prices are more reasonable now because demand is lower.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

The team doing well definitely helps. I'm in Northern California, and both teams are having lousy seasons. The silver lining is that ticket prices are more reasonable now because demand is lower.

I'm down in San Diego and I am a Rockies fan. I can get a ticket to see the Rox when they play the Padres, with little difficulty. It's just a matter if I want to bother to go to the ballpark or stay home and watch on TV LOL

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm down in San Diego and I am a Rockies fan. I can get a ticket to see the Rox when they play the Padres, with little difficulty. It's just a matter if I want to bother to go to the ballpark or stay home and watch on TV LOL

Out of curiosity, do the Rockies fans outnumber the Padres fans when you go? I've been to two games in SD, and both times the visiting team's fans took over, and I kinda felt bad for the Pads. 

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Out of curiosity, do the Rockies fans outnumber the Padres fans when you go? I've been to two games in SD, and both times the visiting team's fans took over, and I kinda felt bad for the Pads. 

Not even close, sadly, especially during these past few terrible Rockies seasons there might be 1000 Rox fans there out of you know 17000 Padres fans.  Poor Padres. There  might be more this year since the Rox are doing well (well, until we hit the buzzsaw that is the Mariners...WTH?) and the Padres are the only game in town. On the other hand, when the Broncos play the Chargers (well, before the Chargers bailed on SD) half to 3/4 of the stadium was filled with Broncos fans.

ETA: I think they must run some kind of special deal for tix, airfare and lodging  to fly Giants fans down to San Diego because they take over 3/4 of Petco. And it is annoying. The Dodgers fans just drive down from L.A. so that one I understand.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1
14 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Not even close, sadly, especially during these past few terrible Rockies seasons there might be 1000 Rox fans there out of you know 17000 Padres fans.  Poor Padres. There  might be more this year since the Rox are doing well (well, until we hit the buzzsaw that is the Mariners...WTH?) and the Padres are the only game in town. On the other hand, when the Broncos play the Chargers (well, before the Chargers bailed on SD) half to 3/4 of the stadium was filled with Broncos fans.

ETA: I think they must run some kind of special deal for tix, airfare and lodging  to fly Giants fans down to San Diego because they take over 3/4 of Petco. And it is annoying. The Dodgers fans just drive down from L.A. so that one I understand.

Hee. The Giants fans and Dodgers fans were the ones I was referring to. No special deals as far as I know, just a side effect of a couple of good seasons. 

• Love 1
Just now, lemotomato said:

Hee. The Giants fans and Dodgers fans were the ones I was referring to. No special deals as far as I know, just a side effect of a couple of good seasons. 

I don't think it's just the good seasons.  I've lived here A LONG time and they have always taken over Petco. Or maybe there are just a lot Giants fans here in SD. LOL. I was thinking maybe Giants fans want to get out of those cold SF nights in the summer down to the warmer climes of SD so they buy big group packages at a discount.  That happens with Broncos fans

• Love 1
(edited)

I just got done watching the Netflix documentary series The Keepers and I was absolutely floored by it.  It is extremely well made but so very hard to get through.  It's basically Spotlight on steroids.  I'll never be able to understand how the Catholic Church has allowed such abuse to continue for so long, essentially ruining the lives of so many of the people it was supposed to be comforting and serving.  It's important viewing so I encourage people to watch it but just be warned that it's graphic and sad.  

Arrow-related side note: Blake Neely composed the score for the episodes, and as usual, his work is superb.  Here is the opening theme music:  

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I have always been a fan of the Astros, love Altuve, but didn't like that they moved to the American League.

Love the Mariners, Padres, Rockies, Mets, love Syndergaard, RedSox, and my Rangers who I do believe will be like the Cubs and not win forever and a day!

Edited by BunsenBurner
  • Love 1

Hi guys

Just a quick note to say bye.  Effective 1 June, your mods are scarynikki12, OnceSane, OtterMommy, raven, and saoirse.  Please be nice to them.

I've (mostly) enjoyed being mod to you bunch of maniacs, but I'm sure I'll see many of you around on the other forums I cover. 

And just for old times sake  :)

e0ab63cae992931ccd6bc1a79873420d.jpg

Your pal, 

MMCS.

• Love 18
3 minutes ago, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

Hi guys

Just a quick note to say bye.  Effective 1 June, your mods are scarynikki12, OnceSane, OtterMommy, raven, and saoirse.  Please be nice to them.

I've (mostly) enjoyed being mod to you bunch of maniacs, but I'm sure I'll see many of you around on the other forums I cover. 

Your pal, 

MMCS.

And we took down another one!

Thanks for all you help in the past.  Wish you all the best.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, MuuMuuChainsmoker said:

Hi guys

Your pal, 

MMCS.

We'll miss you! And your pics. :)

• Love 7
(edited)

FYI...

'Stan' Is Now an Officially Recognized Word in the Oxford English Dictionary So It's a Big Day for Eminem
Cady Lang  Jun 01, 2017
http://time.com/4801810/eminem-stan-oxford-english-dictionary/?utm_campaign=time&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=social&xid=time_socialflow_twitter

Oxford English Dictionary's latest addition to the lexicon, the word "stan," is often traced to one of rap's greatest artists — none other than Marshall Mathers, otherwise known to the world as Eminem.

The dictionary officially defines a "stan" as "an overzealous or obsessive fan of a particular celebrity" and cites the origin as "early 21st century" and "probably an allusion" to the rapper's seminal 2000 single "Stan." The memorable track featured Dido and chronicled the fictional tale of an overzealous fan whose creepy obsession with Slim Shady leads to a fatal end for the fan and his pregnant girlfriend.

In case you were wondering, the word can also be used as a verb, which the dictionary example describes thusly: "Y'all know I stan for Katy Perry, so I was excited to see the artwork for her upcoming album."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
On 6/1/2017 at 0:42 PM, catrox14 said:

If I were to see the Rockies play, I'd do everything I could to get tickets near 3rd base.  Just to be close to whatever insane highlight reel play Arenado would make look routine.  Just like if I were to see the Rays play, I'd want a seat in Center, just to see what Kiermaier was going to do.

Everybody, go see Wonder Woman.  You will not regret it.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Jediknight said:

If I were to see the Rockies play, I'd do everything I could to get tickets near 3rd base.  Just to be close to whatever insane highlight reel play Arenado would make look routine.  Just like if I were to see the Rays play, I'd want a seat in Center, just to see what Kiermaier was going to do.

Ha! That is exactly what I did the last time I went to a game in July 2015. . I also want seats in right field because my true love on the Rockies is CarGo. :heart eyes:

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Jediknight said:

I saw it today!  Took the day off work and caught the matinee in the fancy theater with recliners and 3D. I wore my faded old Wonder Woman t-shirt and a necklace made from a Wonder Woman comic book page that I bought recently from a local vendor just for the occasion.  What I'm saying is that I've been so excited looking forward to this movie!

I LOVED it!  Honestly, I just really needed Wonder Woman right now, and this movie exceeded my expectations. I was surprisingly affected during one of her hero/fight scenes (no spoilers here!) and wiped away several tears during a scene in no way meant to inspire them.  But, it was wonderful and moving to see a strong, smart, fearless woman fighting for others because it's the right thing to do. 

There were so many gorgeous, strong women in the movie!  Yes, their faces were beautiful, but I found their strong, muscled bodies just gorgeous in their strength and capability.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, EmeraldArcher said:

I LOVED it!  Honestly, I just really needed Wonder Woman right now, and this movie exceeded my expectations. I was surprisingly affected during one of her hero/fight scenes (no spoilers here!) and wiped away several tears during a scene in no way meant to inspire them.

Was it

No Man's Land?  That scene was without a doubt meant to inspire big emotions.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Was it

Hide contents

No Man's Land?  That scene was without a doubt meant to inspire big emotions.

Yes, it was.  I know the cinematography was highly thematic and fraught, but I wouldn't have reacted so strongly watching a male hero in the same scene, and maybe not even another woman.  It was Diana specifically and how she was portrayed as fearless, yet kind and generous.  We got ice cream after the movie, and I was so tempted to say "You should be proud!" :-)

Last week, I read the stories online about the stupid man who wrote to the mayor of Austin to complain about the women-only screening of WW.  Sure, he's a dick, but what was also discouraging were all the comments that provided counterpoints to his insults.  Too many people tackled his "Name one thing invented by a woman" challenge with responses pertaining to women "inventing" all the people on the earth.  I know they're well-meaning, but that's just stupid and insulting.  Women didn't invent babies; they participated in a biological process.  An invention is the result of creativity, intelligence, and innovation, and not every woman who's given birth is an inventor of a baby. Ugh.

Invented by a woman -- Monopoly.  Charles Darrow stole Elizabeth Magie's georgist  The Landlord's Game, patented it as Monopoly and sold it to Parker Brothers.

Georgism, also called geoism and single taxers (archaic), is an economic philosophy holding that, while people should own the value they produce themselves, economic value derived from land (including natural resources and natural opportunities) should belong equally to all members of society. Developed from the writings of Henry George, the Georgist paradigm offers solutions to social and ecological problems, relying on principles of land rights and public finance which attempt to integrate economic efficiency with social justice

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 9:18 AM, tv echo said:

According to this Bustle article, "stan" has been defined as a portmanteau of the words "stalker" and "fan" by the Urban Dictionary; however, its origins come from a 2000 Eminem single, after which the term was used to described such fans...
https://www.bustle.com/articles/94986-what-does-stan-mean-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-slang-term

I seriously never put these two together. Thanks for the info. That was a good song by Eminem and a scary reality that has only gotten worse for celebrities.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1

Question for anyone here that's familiar Montreal and/or Toronto-- I'm planning a trip and I'm wondering how the public transportation is in those cities? I'm trying to figure out if I need to rent a car or if I can get by via Uber/taking the bus. 

2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Question for anyone here that's familiar Montreal and/or Toronto-- I'm planning a trip and I'm wondering how the public transportation is in those cities? I'm trying to figure out if I need to rent a car or if I can get by via Uber/taking the bus. 

I've used public transit in Toronto - I think it's super easy and I always felt safe whenever I was alone. I have not used public transit in Montreal, but I have driven there and I would advise against it if you can possibly help it. The traffic was awful pretty much all the time.

• Love 1

Don't rent a car in Toronto and probably not in Montreal unless you're travelling around the far outskirts.  Downtown traffic is insane during the daytime and it's very difficult to park.  Public transportation in Toronto is clean and safe even at night.  There's been a real push to get people out of cars and on to public transit so they want to make it as welcoming as possible.  There is also a system of bixie bikes where you can rent a bike for $7 a day or $15 for 3 days, take it to your destination and return it at the nearest docking station.

It's been a while since I've been to Montreal but I remember the public transit system being similar.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Is there a mod for EVERY forum on this site?

I lurk on the Masterchef Au forum and the posters are trying to get a title to a thread changed but they think there is no mod on that forum.

What you could do is report a post in the thread in question and ask the title to be changed.  Most, but not all, forums have mods.  If it happens to be a forum without a mod, the other mods will see it in the report center and one of the mods will address it.

5 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

What you could do is report a post in the thread in question and ask the title to be changed.  Most, but not all, forums have mods.  If it happens to be a forum without a mod, the other mods will see it in the report center and one of the mods will address it.

Ahh Thank you very much! 

@statsgirl I'm pretty proud of my new idea and thought as a fellow greenie you might appreciate this.

I like to drink fresh young coconut and to open them I cut off the husk at the top. Recently I have discovered I can save these husks to use as scourers instead of using the super market scourers to scrub my stainless steel pots/pans when they need a scrubbing! They work beautifully and I will never buy scourers again! 

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I find a baking soda/coconut oil paste a great solution for scrubbing pans. It does a great job and doesn't damage them.

Oh this is a GREAT tip. I'm going to try that!

I've never tried coconut oil but you've persuaded me. 

The British show, How Clean Is Your House taught me about combining dishwashing liquid and baking soda as a cleaner.  I was trying to clean out my bathtub once when I was sick and I only got the combination on the tub and  had to rest before cleaning it off. When I came back 2 hours later, the stains had lifted off on their own. My kind of cleaning.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I've never tried coconut oil but you've persuaded me. 

The British show, How Clean Is Your House taught me about combining dishwashing liquid and baking soda as a cleaner.  I was trying to clean out my bathtub once when I was sick and I only got the combination on the tub and  had to rest before cleaning it off. When I came back 2 hours later, the stains had lifted off on their own. My kind of cleaning.

I make a combo of dishwashing liquid and white vinegar to clean my counters and then apply baking soda if it's a greasy sticky gross buildup. Works like a charm and only smells like vinegar for like 5 minutes. 

• Love 2

Sooo my greenie adventures continue.

I've been storing food in pyrex containers in a bid to avoid cling wrap but sometimes I'll have waffle batter or stuff that I mixed and want to keep in a mixing bowl that has no lid.

The sister (who thinks I'm insane because I've stopped using freezer bags and pack her afternoon tea in reusable boxes) just bought me these food wraps that are made out of beeswax and cotton. You use them like cling wrap but you can handwash them and keep using them. They last for a year and after that they can go in the compost as they will decompose!

Used one of them to wrap my waffle batter bowl tonight and it works really well. Just like cling wrap!!! Feeling much squeeeeeeeee!!!!! Aim is to have one cling wrap roll in the house for emergencies but not use it. See if I can last a year with just one roll!

• Love 1