Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Quiver

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I could never with Faith and Wes.  While it's not his fault in its entirety, he really fucked Faith up emotionally to the point that I hope that prison had a good psychology team on hand.  The whole abducting her was basically where she completely snapped and it took her years to get to a good place mentally. 

I started shipping Giles/Anya during Tabula Rasa when they thought they were getting married. Then I shipped them all through Season 7, and surprisingly I found some fan fic for them as well. 

I couldn't ship Wesley/Faith because those two really did a number on each other. I wouldn't have minded seeing a friendship develop. I really liked Faith and Angel's friendship and her friendship with Giles in the comics. 

11 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

If they hook up Ginny and Mike that would make me tune out of the show. Just because two actors have chemistry doesn't mean their characters should hook up. I really hope they keep it as a mentor/mentee relationship. 

While I don't think Ginny needs to keep up her not dating a baseball player rule, she should not date anyone on her team. They've been making a big deal how Ginny wants to be seen as equal and be seen for her talent. Putting her in a relationship with a team member would derail all of that. 

I get that right now there is currently an imbalance of power in their relationship and right now, they absolutely should not date or even go there with romantic feelings.  I'd see them work only after he's retired (and I wondered if that was the plan since they explained her rule so very clearly).  At that point years from now (and isn't it always the show's hope to last years anyway) she'd no longer be a rookie or still in a mentor relationship with him, but they would be equals.  That's what I'm pulling for which would mean in the mean time they'd grow to be friends.  (Turns out I REALLY like the friends first troupe)

And I honestly don't think the age difference is that different from an Oliver and Felicity so that doesn't bother me. 

Anyway, I'd be very surprised if anything overtly romantic popped up for a long while, so don't let my shipper instinct scare you off. 

7 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Dexter/Debra didn't really go anywhere since they made Dexter's soulmate Hannah another serial killer that he left his son with. Pretty Little Liars had way to many NOTP that I had stop watching it, that it's never ending storyline. During the Buffy craze I thought I was the only one that hated Spike/Buffy. Although I guess I can't be one to talk to since I was rooting for Giles/Anya. 

I think you just reminded me why I hate Barry so much, he reminds me of selfishness of Nathan from Haven. Of course Nathan was willing to destroy his whole town for Audrey so I guess he cared more about her than Barry does about Iris. 

I haven't hardcore shipped couples since Lost. That show turned me off getting too involved in ships. Now I'll just enjoy seeing characters I like interact whether it's romantic or not. 

I was a Nathan/Audrey fan and while I get where Nathan made a selfish choice,  I'm more forgiving of him than Barry since he got blindsided by what was happening and so he was acting without thinking when he tried to keep from losing Audrey.  AND he learned from his mistake pretty much right away and was willing to make the needed sacrifices when the next chance came up (only for all the rules to change, lol) and in the end did make the big sacrifice required, putting the greater good first.  My NOTP on the show was Audrey and Duke.  He grew on me as a character but Audrey and Duke just horrified me.  

I never have more than a couple hardcore ships I'm really interested in at any one time.  Sometimes I don't have any current ones.  Before Arrow, I had a dry spell for a couple years.  Still, I typically need some kind of ship interest on a show for me to stay interested in a show.  Like anything there are exceptions like all the shows connected to Arrow.  I only ship on Arrow but I'm still going to watch the whole slate.  

Right now Olicity is it.  Haven ended last year.  And Castle was a fun show (until the last year) but there was never any question if they would be together so I never went nuts shipping the pair even if it was a favorite show. 

List of previous ships:  Luke & Lorelai  on Gilmore Girls (kind of current since the Netflix revival) , Daniel and Vala on Stargate Sg-1 (started the show shipping Daniel and Sha're) Clark and Chloe on Smallville, Logan and Veronica on Veronica Mars (was very happy to have the movie), Lois and Clark on Lois&Clark, and then we hit the way back machine and pick up Laura and Remington from Remington Steele (I shipped when I was very young, lol) and if I was honest, even before that there was Alura and Keith on Voltron.  But that's probably my whole lifelong hardcore shipping list.   But the lower level shipping thing is kind of unending, lol. 

The early Gilmore Girls is making me think that I actually will be watching in November. I hope Luke and Rory get some good scenes. After being all for Rory and Jess, Luke gets freaked out by it and goes to look for them. And brings Rory's sweater along because it's cold and she might need it! It's the cutest damn thing ever and now I feel there should have been more scenes with Rory and Luke over the years.

• Love 2

Yeah, they let me down on Luke and Rory's relationship in the later seasons.  The caring was still there on Luke's end but they just didn't have many shared scenes.  Part of that had to be because Christopher was a regular in seven and in six first Rory and Lorelai were estranged and then they brought in April and while I actually never hated April, I did get the feeling like they were trying to recreate the cute moments we'd had with Luke and Rory rather than grow their relationship as Rory grew up.   

New characters aren't always a bad thing, but this is a case where they regressed the original characters IMO to make room for the newbie.  

I'm hoping for an awful lot with the Netflix reboot.  I'll just add seeing Rory and Luke have bonding moments to the list. 

• Love 3

Does anyone watch cooking shows?

Just curious because I am about to tuck into a tart and watch Great British Bake Off (baking show that I only watch when I have dessert).

Curious if my fellow Arrow watchers watch cooking shows! If so which ones?

I love: Great British Bake Off, Cutthroat Kitchen, Masterchef Au and UK, America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country and a bunch of Aussie cooking shows

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 2
On 10/9/2016 at 7:08 PM, Sakura12 said:

I'm really liking Pitch as well and I don't even like Baseball. 

I'm really liking Pitch and I love baseball.

Last night's Supergirl kind of pissed me off, nothing wrong with the show, it's just that Tyler Hoechlin was an amazing Superman, and for some reason Zack Snyder and David Goyer don't want that Superman on the big screen.  Henry Cavill should be playing Superman like Hoechlin was allowed to, but nope, Snyder and Goyer's Superman is mopey, depressed, will give up on humanity, and doesn't smile.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Just curious because I am about to tuck into a tart and watch Great British Bake Off (baking show that I only watch when I have dessert).

I love: Great British Bake Off, Cutthroat Kitchen, Masterchef Au and UK, America's Test Kitchen, Cook's Country and a bunch of Aussie cooking shows

HGTV and food network is where I spend my none Fandom hours.   Me and the boyfriend just binged the Great Food Truck Race and I got way more wrapped up in that than I care to admit. 

Speaking of OTPs and NOTPs, this just occurred to me after reading an article on Luke Perry's 50th birthday: I was like 6 or 7 years old and I was already a shipper without knowing it. Brenda and Dylan were my first OTP. And, Kelly and Dylan definitely the NOTP. I hated when he came back to the show and they started that on and off, will they won't they. And, I mean, I was fine with everyone else he was with. Even Gina. And I quite liked Rebecca Gayheart. But I was happy with the knowledge that he had found Brenda in London and they were having another chance, and they had to go and ruin that.  Ugh.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

I do love the Great British Bake Off.  Gives me delusions of grandeur while I'm watching and I start thinking of all the thing I could make and then when it's over I remember I can barely handle box cakes and chocolate chip cookies. 

I have watched Cutthroat Kitchen and I still have about a 100 episodes of Good Eats saved on my DVR but I'm more likely to be binging on House Hunters and the like on HGTV.  I think people redoing their kitchens are really going to regret the blue or grey or moss colored cabinet trend.  Gives me flashbacks to the avocado and harvest gold appliances from the 70's that everyone despised while i was growing up.   

• Love 1

Haha I wanted to name my firstborn Alton back during the height of my obsession with Good Eats.

I adore GBBO! The contestants are my kindred spirits! I measure my pastry with a ruler, live in fear of soggy bottoms and scrutise the crumb of every cake I bake. I would totally get along with those people. 

@Delphi I discovered the Great Foodtruck Race about 3 seasons ago and I watch it too. Food trucks are a bit of a novelty in Australia. 

The latest on my list of (re)discovered strengths of Gilmore Girls are the Chilton adventures. The lengths to which the students took their disputes were almost farsical, which is great fun, but also how great was it that it was never about a boy. The last I saw was Francie playing Rory and Paris against each other, Paris actually being completely aware of it but pissed at Rory regardless because she didn't include Paris in dealing with Francie. All of this was prompted by disagreeing on how to distribute the senior class budget for prom and gift to the school. It also featured one of my favorite physical scenes on the show - Rory and Paris throwing down while fencing in gym class. Simultaneously hilarious and intense. Liza Weil was an excellent find and the decision to write the character of Paris for her is to be applauded.

• Love 1

I have to say, I did not unequivocally love the third episode of This is Us as I did the first two. There was great stuff, like grown-up Randall calling Rebecca mommy, Kevin's display of beanies and Gerald McRaney showing up again. I really have two issues with the episode.

Spoiler

1. The past twist. Even the introduction sequence did not really work for me, because both William and Randall's mother seem perfectly and clean scrubbed fine when they met. How did they go from that to raging drug addicts. But even more than that, the sanctification of William was unnecessary IMO. Oh, not only did he check up on the kid he dropped at the fire station and wanted to keep in touch with him, he also helped Rebecca be a mother to him. Whatever.

2. I've been decisive about my dislike of Toby since the beginning, but it's infuriating that he and Kevin made all the decisions for Kate in this episode. And yay, seems like the men were right. Lame.

I also like how they're exploring the twin bond between Kevin and Kate that's been present since the start, the way it both gives them strength and robs them of independence and growing. That could be really interesting as they go into it further. Also, seems like Randall is not a fan of Miguel's and that just warms me.

22 minutes ago, bijoux said:

Hide contents

2. I've been decisive about my dislike of Toby since the beginning, but it's infuriating that he and Kevin made all the decisions for Kate in this episode. And yay, seems like the men were right. Lame.

My knee-jerk reaction to that was the same, but then upon some thought, they were actually helping her. She was not living her life, and was putting Kevin's first. It was not so much a "men were right, woman was wrong and needed someone to make the decision for her" to me, rather them giving her a hard nudge.

News on one of Arrow's Wednesday night competition...

‘Lethal Weapon’ Lands Full-Season Order From Fox
Daniel Holloway OCTOBER 12, 2016 | 11:00AM PT
http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/lethal-weapon-lands-full-season-order-from-fox-1201886860/

Fox has given a full-season order to “Lethal Weapon.” The freshman action drama is this fall’s first new Fox show to have its season extended.
The move extends the first season of “Lethal Weapon” to 18 episodes, the same length as “Empire,” which “Lethal Weapon” airs ahead of at 8 p.m. on Wednesday nights.
With an average 3.0 Nielsen live-plus-seven rating among adults 18-49, “Lethal Weapon” is tied with CBS’ “Bull” as the third highest rated new broadcast drama of the season, behind NBC’s “This Is Us” and ABC’s “Designated Survivor.” According to Fox, the series is averaging 11.5 million total viewers in live-plus-seven across multiple platforms.

Edited by tv echo

Random,but I'm curious.  I don't fly very, well ever, driving is key.    But I'm looking to book a flight next month.   So I was curious which airline you travelers use for best ticket prices and comfort.

13 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Random,but I'm curious.  I don't fly very, well ever, driving is key.    But I'm looking to book a flight next month.   So I was curious which airline you travelers use for best ticket prices and comfort.

I think Virgin America is the most comfortable airline--roomy seats, great lighting, and cool styling. I always check Kayak and then check Southwest separately to get the best price. I like Southwest because I can cancel/reschedule without a penalty.

17 minutes ago, Delphi said:

It depends on where you're going but for me Southwest is the best value IMO. I've had little trouble with them. You can check two bags with no extra fees. Change flights without penalty if you buy business class fare.

• Love 1

Southwest is probably the best value with free check-in luggage, but I feel sorry for anyone of average height -- tall that has to fly with them The seats/legroom seem extra tight. I like Virgin America and Jetblue for comfort, but you might have to keep an eye out for fare sales to get a good deal.

I'm back to completely loving This is Us this week. I find it interesting how much Randall has been shaped by Jack and Rebecca while I can't spot the same things with Kevin and Kate. There are some traits that have been constant since their childhood, but if I had to say what relationship shaped them most into the adults that they are, it would be theirs. With Randall, on the other hand, I get regular flashes of that's Jack, and this week it was, that's Rebecca. 

Spoiler

Him pushing his anger down and covering it up played really nicely alongside Rebecca's wish for Kate to just cover up and wear a T-shirt at the pool. From the press release, I thought the pool outing would be focused on race, but I appreciate that it actually included Kate's and Kevin's issues in the same amount. The biggest surprise of the episode was probably exploring Kevin's feelings of being overlooked.

But my God, Randall's notebook. Oh, Randall. That's just so heartbreaking. Loved the photograph of the family with the woman from the pool. And I thought the decision for her to be holding Kevin in it instead of Randall was great.

I think what I like best about the parallel timelines conceit so far is how it doesn't turn maudlin or ask you to pity these characters, it just sheds light on how they grew into who they are. Also, I just adore baby Kate and, while it's not something that I have ever given any thought to, Milo Ventamiglia seems like he was born to play a dad. I really loved him with Kate in the kitchen and I've rewound the last scene numerous times without really being clear on what it is that's making me compelled to do so.

Wonder of wonders, I didn't hate Toby. I'm not going so far as to say I liked him, but I think I badly needed some of his backstory to stop being irritated when he shows up.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Delphi said:

Absolutely avoid American and United at all costs.  JetBlue is your winner for both value and comfort, IMO.  Southwest is okay but if you're tall like me then forget being comfortable.

I fly United because it's convenient but, yeah if you're looking for cheap flights avoid United at all costs. They nickle and dime you for everything.  Oh you want more leg room? Upgrade for $139. Oh you want more recline in your seat? Upgrade for $89. Oh you want to skip long security lines? Upgrade to PremiereAccess for $59..etc etc etc

Jet Blue is supposed to be really good but, I've never flown them. Southwest is a cheap no frills airline but, you can't pick your seats ahead of time.

Virgin Atlantic is great for International flights. 

When I do last minute trips I fly United because they have a lot more choices for times. If I have time to plan a trip I usually fly Jet Blue. Southwest is the cheapest but they don't fly out of O'Hare which is 5 minutes from my house. They also make a lot of stops and I don't want to spend an entire day on a plane. I guess it really depends on your price range and how quickly you want to get to the place you are going. 

2 hours ago, NumberCruncher said:

Absolutely avoid American and United at all costs.  JetBlue is your winner for both value and comfort, IMO.  Southwest is okay but if you're tall like me then forget being comfortable.

I agree about JetBlue. I fly them usually once a month. They are by far my favorite domestic airline - the seats are comfortable on their own, but I like to upgrade to more legroom, and they usually have plenty of options, and the upgrade cost is IMO very reasonable. My least fave airline is Delta - I hate them. And yeah - Southwest is a no given their boarding system and the fact that the only extra leg room they offer is in the exit row - I flew to Austin with them once and my knees were so jammed into the back of the seat in front of me that the lady in that seat couldn't recline (and made me very aware of how unhappy she was about that, haha). 

• Love 1

Wow.   So many choices.   Thanks for all your input.  I'm just going from DC to Florida so I don't imagine I'd have to worry about being uncomfortable for too long.   Price is more concern because what's the point of a vacation if I can't spend money once I'm there. 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Wow.   So many choices.   Thanks for all your input.  I'm just going from DC to Florida so I don't imagine I'd have to worry about being uncomfortable for too long.   Price is more concern because what's the point of a vacation if I can't spend money once I'm there. 

Depending on what part of FL you're going to, definitely check into JetBlue. They have flights out of National several times a day - and they have really great deals for both Tampa and Orlando (maybe some others, but definitely for those two cities). If you buy early enough and fly on the right days, you can sometimes get round trip tickets for $120-$140 total. 

Edited by apinknightmare

Have to agree with people that JetBlue is the nicest airline to fly and it is affordable if you buy it early. I've never had a problem with Southwest and they are the best bargain, especially if you are going to bring along a lot of stuff. So long as you check in early (usually online within 24hrs of your flight time), the earlier you check in the higher your boarding group, I have never had a problem with the pick your seat the day of the flight that Southwest does. For me, I actually like it, since I can sit where I want, as opposed to the back or the wing which is where I usually am because its the cheap seats. I actually have never had a problem when I was in a later group. They do allow special boarding for families and disabled groups, so at least those groups can be together more easily.

My only other recommendation is to book directly from the airline, they generally have the best deals over other websites. I use the other websites to find out the best time & route, but then I go to the airline website and check for the lowest rate. Although a friend just found a really cheap site for last minute flights, but its blind - you don't know the airline or the actual flight until you buy it. So if your up for a surprise, that one works.

19 hours ago, bijoux said:

I'm back to completely loving This is Us this week. I find it interesting how much Randall has been shaped by Jack and Rebecca while I can't spot the same things with Kevin and Kate. There are some traits that have been constant since their childhood, but if I had to say what relationship shaped them most into the adults that they are, it would be theirs. With Randall, on the other hand, I get regular flashes of that's Jack, and this week it was, that's Rebecca. 

Reveal hidden contents

Him pushing his anger down and covering it up played really nicely alongside Rebecca's wish for Kate to just cover up and wear a T-shirt at the pool. From the press release, I thought the pool outing would be focused on race, but I appreciate that it actually included Kate's and Kevin's issues in the same amount. The biggest surprise of the episode was probably exploring Kevin's feelings of being overlooked.

But my God, Randall's notebook. Oh, Randall. That's just so heartbreaking. Loved the photograph of the family with the woman from the pool. And I thought the decision for her to be holding Kevin in it instead of Randall was great.

I think what I like best about the parallel timelines conceit so far is how it doesn't turn maudlin or ask you to pity these characters, it just sheds light on how they grew into who they are. Also, I just adore baby Kate and, while it's not something that I have ever given any thought to, Milo Ventamiglia seems like he was born to play a dad. I really loved him with Kate in the kitchen and I've rewound the last scene numerous times without really being clear on what it is that's making me compelled to do so.

Wonder of wonders, I didn't hate Toby. I'm not going so far as to say I liked him, but I think I badly needed some of his backstory to stop being irritated when he shows up.

I'm really enjoying the parallel timelines. They are enlightening to the characters. I think it helps that there is a significant amount of years between the timelines. I don't have to mentally separate that one is the present and one is the past. Its a good way to do flashbacks. I also think they cast the children well on the show. I find the child actors in the past & present to be enjoyable & realistic.

I still don't like Toby. But I wonder if that is intentional. It seems that Kate is still having a lot of reservations about him. So I feel like the writers put more time from her perspective than from Toby's. So that puts the narrative a little off kilter, which hurts Toby.

Milo is nailing it as a a Dad on TV, but honestly I do wonder about the characters' parenting skills. Both him & Kate seem to be struggling at the whole parenting thing. I've never been a parent, so its hard to say how hard that struggle is - but I do notice that a lot of the triplets issues have roots in their parents' choices/decisions. My Mom has actually talked to me about doing the best you can, but how there really is no instruction manual on parenting. I will save that the LOVE that the parents have for their children is evident. And that is nice to see, even with last episode's twist I never questioned that it came from a place of love. It's refreshing in modern TV, which often manipulates parental relationships for shock & awe moments, that love is the foundation of the relationships and not some deep dark twisty secrets & lies. I also find it interesting that only 1 of the 3 has children, and if that is reflective of anything.

I do think that every actor is nailing their roles. But Sterling Brown is really in a league of his own. Although for the first time in a long while, I finally connected back with Justin Hartley. I have known him since his Passions days, out of all of the characters his role feels the more like him and not a character. So I think he has to go out of his way to make it more of a character and not just him being him. I do think he is growing into the role. I think the move to NY will be good for his character. He needs some distance from the TV actor in LA role. I also really look fwd to him interacting more with Randall's family. I loved the chemistry he had with Randall's family in the last moments.

I read in a recent EW issue that, out of all of the new fall TV shows, Macgyver and Lethal Weapon are being talked about the most online (generating the most social media buzz), while This Is Us and Designated Survivor are getting the most critical acclaim.

Edited by tv echo

So Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is back, and it's as awesome as ever. I strongly recommend this show to everybody put off by the premise or the title. It's one of the best shows I've seen last year, and it seems to be no less great.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, FurryFury said:

So Crazy Ex-Girlfriend is back, and it's as awesome as ever. I strongly recommend this show to everybody put off by the premise or the title. It's one of the best shows I've seen last year, and it seems to be no less great.

I second this.

• Love 1

Love seeing the support for the Cubs! Been a die hard fan my whole life, and I still can't quite believe we're playing in a World Series.  I live a few blocks from Wrigley and there is just a buzz in the air here. Go Cubs Go!!

• Love 3

Can anybody explain to me why Jimmy Kimmel was featured in Hamliton's America as one of the pundits? I get the historians, politicians and financial reporters, but I was stumped to see him.

Edited by bijoux
  • Love 1