Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

Greyhound owners frequently muzzle their dogs. When meeting in a big group, they are muzzled because their skin is so thin that play nips can break the skin. Speaking from experience, I would find blood in the house and have no idea how they got it. Just scraping against the door jamb. All of this to say that for me, muzzles were tools, not punishments. If a hound ate their stool, many would put stool guards into the muzzle and problem solved. Basket muzzles are not tight at all and allow them to pant and even drink (with the stool guard that's not possible). It would probably work to keep a dog from eating whatever is on the ground. Because you don't know what's in that food--could be rat poison too. Or infected animal waste. 

In the "Buy Together" in that link, that lavender one is the one we had for our greyhound. He died recently (under anesthesia for a dental cleaning so it was very shocking) and it brought a tear to my eye. I miss him so much.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 14
  • Useful 2
1 hour ago, frenchtoast said:

Greyhound owners frequently muzzle their dogs. When meeting in a big group, they are muzzled because their skin is so thin that play nips can break the skin. Speaking from experience, I would find blood in the house and have no idea how they got it. Just scraping against the door jamb. All of this to say that for me, muzzles were tools, not punishments. If a hound ate their stool, many would put stool guards into the muzzle and problem solved. Basket muzzles are not tight at all and allow them to pant and even drink (with the stool guard that's not possible). It would probably work to keep a dog from eating whatever is on the ground. Because you don't know what's in that food--could be rat poison too. Or infected animal waste. 

In the "Buy Together" in that link, that lavender one is the one we had for our greyhound. He died recently (under anesthesia for a dental cleaning so it was very shocking) and it brought a tear to my eye. I miss him so much.

Yes I remember you suggested I muzzle him. I agree, I don’t know what’s in there and I do watch him. I tried the muzzle and he hated it and didn’t even want to come close to me! I can talk to the vet about better ways to use it. He has a vet appointment next Saturday to see what's up regarding his recent use of the stairs, getting him evaluated for arthritis. 

Im so sorry for the loss of your greyhound 😓

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Scarlett45 said:

I tried the muzzle and he hated it and didn’t even want to come close to me!

Aww, that sucks. Greyhounds--specifically racing greyhounds--are muzzled when they are let out together in groups and when they race. So it's normal for them and they don't typically notice it all that much. Instead of cones of shame owners will use the muzzle to prevent licking. I will say Friday didn't particularly like the muzzle and would rub his head against my hip to get it off. Never really worked and he gave up in a minute or two when he would see other people to say hi to. He loved people. 

Yeah, we lost both our greyhounds this year. They were both only 10. In March, right around when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, we lost Raz to bone cancer. It had shattered his shoulder and we had to put him down. (My husband was away with our daughter looking at colleges so it was just me and my son. Which suuuuucked. And three days later I got the biopsy results that it was cancer). About a month following chemo and right before we left for a much deserved vacation, we lost Friday due to the anesthesia. It's been a pretty shitty year, all things considered. 

• Hugs 16
  • Sad 4
3 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

I don’t know what I did but my knee been hurting for a week. And now I’m sick again with a sore throat etc. Ahhhh someone hold me and bring me hot tea while I wallow in misery.

Getting older sucks, everything hurts and cracks. 

I wish I could bring you a hot cup of tea! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. Practice the best self care that you can - you deserve it!

I've been feeling kind of icky digestion-wise. I took a probiotic for a few days and I wonder if it did a number on my gut. I stopped taking it when I was started feeling sick. Then I threw away the rest of the doses No other symptoms and yesterday I started feeling better. It's probably a this time of year stress taking hold. My feelings are very much tied to my digestion. I followed the BRAT diet for a couple of days and I still don't want certain foods....like the leftover chili my husband suggested. Just no! I have been drinking a ginger tea every day and that seems to help. 

• Hugs 12
6 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I'm currently home sick eating the BRAT diet. Not sure what turned my stomach, but I feel a little better eating the bland stuff supplemented with Gatorade.

The BRAT diet does seem to help. Hope you feel better soon. I hope we all do!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, BetyBee said:

I've been feeling kind of icky digestion-wise. I took a probiotic for a few days and I wonder if it did a number on my gut. I stopped taking it when I was started feeling sick. Then I threw away the rest of the doses No other symptoms and yesterday I started feeling better. It's probably a this time of year stress taking hold. My feelings are very much tied to my digestion. I followed the BRAT diet for a couple of days and I still don't want certain foods....like the leftover chili my husband suggested. Just no! I have been drinking a ginger tea every day and that seems to help. 

Some of the probiotics have as their possibly unstated purpose to help people "become regular."  That is there is an intended laxative effect.  I have to avoid those like crazy.  To me they are instant digestive problems so yes it can happen.  Combine that with stress and it's really bad.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I wish I could bring you a hot cup of tea! I'm so sorry you're not feeling well. Practice the best self care that you can - you deserve it!

Was it plexus? According to Jill it heals the gut 🙄. (Joking)

I hope you feel better!

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
2 hours ago, oliviabenson said:

Was it plexus? According to Jill it heals the gut 🙄. (Joking)

I hope you feel better!

Why yes it was Plexus. Did I forget to mention that I'm in Jill's downline? I'm going to do everything I can to help her to make the next cruise! 🤣

• LOL 11
12 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My good news today is that the brain tumor that was discovered 2 weeks ago is small enough for radiation, so they don't have to cut into my skull.  The radiation should keep it from growing any larger.  So far I haven't had any symptoms, so I'm glad it was found now rather than later.  It was just happenstance.  I was really dizzy after a chiropractor adjustment, and just happened to have an appointment with my primary the next week.  She suggested a carotid ultrasound and brain CT, but really thought the dizziness was connected to allergies.  The CT showed a tumor, I had an MRI, and saw the neuro doc all within two weeks.  I really like the doctor, but I will have to drive a little over an hour to Reno for the radiation treatments.  No idea when or how many yet, but I don't mind since the alternative means actual surgery.  This was the best news, and I am very happy tonight.

I'm sorry you are going through this, @CalicoKitty, but it does sound like the best news under the circumstances. We will all be thinking of you as you go through treatment. Please keep us posted!

• Like 10
12 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

My good news today is that the brain tumor that was discovered 2 weeks ago is small enough for radiation, so they don't have to cut into my skull.  The radiation should keep it from growing any larger.  So far I haven't had any symptoms, so I'm glad it was found now rather than later.  It was just happenstance.  I was really dizzy after a chiropractor adjustment, and just happened to have an appointment with my primary the next week.  She suggested a carotid ultrasound and brain CT, but really thought the dizziness was connected to allergies.  The CT showed a tumor, I had an MRI, and saw the neuro doc all within two weeks.  I really like the doctor, but I will have to drive a little over an hour to Reno for the radiation treatments.  No idea when or how many yet, but I don't mind since the alternative means actual surgery.  This was the best news, and I am very happy tonight.

That’s wonderful news!

• Like 8
16 hours ago, CalicoKitty said:

I’m grateful you don’t have to undergo surgery. I’m also hoping the radiation takes care of the rest of it along with all our prayers 🙏🏻

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
On 11/17/2023 at 6:45 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I'm so happy that you shared this news with us so that you can get to feel all the virtual hugs and thought and prayers from us out here in the ether.  I know it makes a difference for me when I get kind reactions on these boards.

• Like 4
  • Love 3

I probably watch more police procedurals than are good for me, but one I saw in the wee hours this morning really hit home.  It was about a pathological narcissist.  At one point the ex wife describes him, and I felt as if she was talking about my ex husband.  She said things that resonated so much like "he's the best and the worst person you've ever met," and "he's funny, generous, such a good guy" and "he truly believes that he's special, that he deserves the constant admiration," "he lacks compassion, empathy, yet at the same time he is remarkably fragile," and "he is incredibly charming and persuasive."

This is my ex husband, and while I am far from perfect, and there were other issues in our marriage, but ultimately his (diagnosed) pathological narcissism became impossible to live with and was really doing me in from a mental health standpoint.  What is very difficult for me is that we live in the same, close community (and share two children) and have many close mutual friends; we see each other often.  He's not a bad guy, and I'm not going to badmouth him - he has a diagnosed condition (though he never admits it to my knowledge, that's part of the condition), and nothing would be gained.  But our friends don't know the mad, irrational, horrible things he could and would do because of his narcissism and sometimes I just want to scream out loud and shake people and yell "He's not the great guy you think he is."

It's really hard to try to explain how destructive true narcissism is, and how twisted a narcissist's thinking is when all the outsider sees is the fun and the charm and the generosity.

Sigh.  I've got that off my chest now.  Thank you for "listening".

Edited by Ancaster
  • Hugs 19

@Ancaster- thank goodness he's your ex! It sounds like you are handling situations where you have to deal with him, perfectly. Are you on Reddit? I follow some threads there about narcissism. I have a couple of narcissistic relatives and it's comforting to know I'm not alone! Lately I've also been interested in Rover (pet sitting) threads and always AITAH (am I the a**hole) threads. It's amusing and sometimes scary - what people put up with and what some people do to their "loved ones"! Of course it was Duggar & other fundie snark that led me to that site!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

@Ancaster- thank goodness he's your ex! It sounds like you are handling situations where you have to deal with him, perfectly. Are you on Reddit? I follow some threads there about narcissism. I have a couple of narcissistic relatives and it's comforting to know I'm not alone! Lately I've also been interested in Rover (pet sitting) threads and always AITAH (am I the a**hole) threads. It's amusing and sometimes scary - what people put up with and what some people do to their "loved ones"! Of course it was Duggar & other fundie snark that led me to that site!

I follow these same threads! It’s interesting that so many of us share similar things, starting with the Fundie snark. Sorry for you @Ancaster dealing with a narcissist ex and @BetyBee for narcissistic relatives. I have a few of those too but thankfully I have distanced myself from them.

• Like 6
2 minutes ago, ozziemom said:

I follow these same threads! It’s interesting that so many of us share similar things, starting with the Fundie snark. Sorry for you @Ancaster dealing with a narcissist ex and @BetyBee for narcissistic relatives. I have a few of those too but thankfully I have distanced myself from them.

Oh, that is interesting that we follow the same threads! There's always some interesting discussion on Reddit. I sometimes look at the AITAH posts to see how others react. Sometimes everyone is supporting a person whom I think is definitely the AH! Oh well!

• Like 5
On 11/17/2023 at 8:45 PM, CalicoKitty said:

Liking the doctor is so important. All of my care team is amazing. I will have my last radiation on tomorrow. I don't know how it will affect you because it's located in a different place but the radiation oncologist will explain that. I will say that it was super fast for me. As in I was on the bench for 5 minutes and out. And the side effects were so mild I didn't really notice them. But truly, being comfortable with your care team--and you'll get to know the techs and nurses too--makes the experience so much better. And it helps especially during recovery. 

I have a very dear friend who also has a brain tumor and she elected for surgery. She will be having surgery again in two years but she doesn't want to do radiation. She's doing great and you would never know that she has an issue. It's amazing what modern medicine and the human body are capable of. All the best on this journey!

• Like 3
  • Hugs 11

@frenchtoast, its so nice when you stop by for a visit. Are feeling more like a Texan now, or still a NE transplant? Sorry about your pet buddies and health, but glad things are looking up.

Its so weird, every once in a while I'll read a post and wonder if you're still around and then, poof, there you are.

• Like 6
  • Love 1
On 11/17/2023 at 9:45 PM, CalicoKitty said:

So glad you’re feeling better. The right doctors make a huge difference, imo. It seems everything fell into place very promptly. I hope you’ll be improving soon.  I’ll look forward to reading about how you’re doing.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

@frenchtoast, its so nice when you stop by for a visit. Are feeling more like a Texan now, or still a NE transplant? Sorry about your pet buddies and health, but glad things are looking up.

Its so weird, every once in a while I'll read a post and wonder if you're still around and then, poof, there you are.

I'm like a bad penny. 😉 I read here often but I don't post much because honestly I have so little to say and when I do others have already said it. I tried reading  forums of the few shows that I watch and some forums I just don't like (the Marvel shows) and some are basically dead (Star Wars Bad Batch). And even then, I don't say much because I don't have a lot to say. And I feel weird butting in. 

I have not become a Texan and I miss New England so much. So much. Especially this time of year. I was telling my radiation team that I liked the rainy chilly weather we had two weeks ago and one of them remembered and commented how her family (in another state) has an orchard and you don't really see apple cider here. And it's true, you really don't. And I don't even really like cider but it made me homesick in the moment. 

Hope everyone's Thanksgiving is full of good memories. I have so much to be thankful for this year. 

• Like 3
  • Hugs 12
9 hours ago, zoomama said:

i read here pretty often too and dont post very much, lets just say i post WAY less than i read. 

Frenchtoast, what part of texas are you in?  i'll be visiting soon!

I'm in the Metroplex, a bit north of Dallas. We're one of the many families that came because of all the corporations moving to the area. We'd move back in a heartbeat if we could. We're one of those folks that bought before the housing market went crazy and before interest rates went up so it wouldn't be happening unless something amazing like winning the lotto happened.

My Mom just told me RL, her first boyfriend and ex-fiancé died. 

Shit I don’t know he was sick or what. His baby sister called her -his other sister died during the pandemic- not Covid, I remember her being shaken up about that.

After Thanksgiving I’ll have to see what the arrangements are. 
My Mom proclaimed he was just calling her the last couple of years because everyone was dying. She last heard from him her birthday this year.  (He had been married 3x no kids, the 3rd wife died)

I remember going to AZ and visiting his Mom before she died in 2013 (she retired there). My Mom and RL were the same age. 

If my Mom doesn’t want to go to sign the book I’ll at least send something. He’s got a brother and sister still living and 2 nieces and a nephew (they have kids as well). 

I feel like I come here every five minutes and tell you someone has died! May I have happy news to share soon. 

M is enjoying her vacation from her social media posts and will be back tomorrow, but not back until her regular schedule until Monday November 27th. My sister has been good- not giving me an ounce of trouble which I appreciate. 

• Like 5
  • Hugs 9
  • Sad 1

My two sides are baked and cooling to be reheated on the big day. Tomorrow as soon as the car is packed, we'll pick up the pie we ordered and head to our daughter's house. I'm going to stay a few extra days to spend time with the grandkids. I'm excited about that! 

• Like 7
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, BetyBee said:

My two sides are baked and cooling to be reheated on the big day. Tomorrow as soon as the car is packed, we'll pick up the pie we ordered and head to our daughter's house. I'm going to stay a few extra days to spend time with the grandkids. I'm excited about that! 

How long of a trip is it for you?

• Like 2

I just got back from a 4-day visit with my oldest. His wife is pg with their second so KC and I took a trip to Boise for her baby shower. We went to our first hockey game and it was so much FUN!!! My 18-month-old granddaughter loved all the excitement for the 2/3 of the game & fell asleep for the last part. My grandson, was on the Jumbotron twice dancing. 

We also went to my son's in-laws' house and KC got to ride and then drive the 4-wheeler. He's now begging me to move to Boise.

He's spending the next 3 days with his mom. I'm dropping him off and driving another 2 hours to my sister's house. 

• Like 6
  • Love 7

And yes, I’m a bundle of joy. Someone else’s fucking died. 

Long time posters may remember the saga of how my godmother (Cosmo’s old Mom) spent her last weeks in February/March 2021, how she left her husband 3 weeks before she died, with her husband having to be removed by both hotel AND hospital security, getting into screaming matches with my Mom etc. 

Well I got the call that he was found dead in the house my godmother had lived in for over 40yrs. He had been dead a few weeks. My godsister finally got in touch with his ex-wife who went over there (both of his kids were at the end of their rope with him and were DONE), and found him. Dealing with him since her Mom died was far from pleasant, he was a total asshole on so many levels. But on a human level no one wants to think of someone living like that- but he made his bed and had to live with his choices. 

I know there are things in the house that would mean something to my Mom- I’d like the photos of them when they were young, and ones with my Grandfather in them. I will tell my Mom in the morning. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Hugs 21
40 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

@Scarlett45 I’m sorry you have another death to deal with and so close to the holiday. I hope you’ll be able to get the few items that mean something to you 🧸

Thank you- you’re very kind. I’m not worried about stuff, it’s just stuff. She gave me the most valuable thing she had January 19, 2021.  (There he is this weekend at Petco!)IMG_9553.thumb.jpeg.235ccb2dc00437cdc9cf5a08271b78f2.jpegWe will get to the house when we get there. 

Just having a human corpse in there for a few weeks, the cleaning won’t be pleasant. another friend who lives in the neighborhood went to turn the heat to 65 for the pipes as we have had a mild fall but winter is coming. 

• Like 9

@Scarlett45 - wow. You've had a LOT to deal with over these last several months (yikes, more like two years!). I have mad respect for your strength of character and depth of caring for your family - immediate and extended - through good times and very difficult ones. I'm sorry that the unpleasant old guy died like that, it's a shame, but as you said, if you push people away consistently that kind of end isn't a surprise. Sigh. Thanks for sharing the Cosmo photo - an instant smile for me. ❤️

@Nysha and @crazy8s - thanks for sharing your good times with us. I'm glad you're enjoying your families, and catching some lovely moments with those kids who as we all know will be grown up in the proverbial twinkling of an eye. 

My local family will gather for our Thanksgiving dinner on Friday afternoon. That stuff can happen with a couple of first responders in the mix, because work schedules. I'm good with it. TBH Thanksgiving isn't my favorite holiday for personal reasons. I'm fine with the shifted date for the family gathering. May run to the grocery store on T'day for the fixings for the big green salad I'm making; they will be open until 4pm. After quite a spell of mild weather we're gonna get slammed with cold and snow just in time for Friday, LOL. 

• Like 11
23 minutes ago, Ancaster said:

Um, did I blink and miss Thanksgiving?  ;-)

The grand girl wanted to come decorate it this year. This past weekend was the only time that worked for her to come. We are now away for a week so it is just sitting there with only the lower front part decorated by a 4yr old😀

The rest will get decorated at a more normal time. This is very early for us to have the tree up but no one is there anyway, so i figured why not?

• Like 8
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2