Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Prayer Closet

Message added by Scarlett45

This is a reminder that the Politics Policy is still in effect.

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss political social media posts of those in the Duggar realm- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

Political discussion is not allowed in this forum- this includes Small Talk topics. Please stay in the spirit of the policy- I have noticed a tendency for some to follow the letter but not the spirit.

While we understand the frustration (change is never easy), please keep in mind that not everyone feels the same way and that for those members who don't, the ongoing conversation about other forums and chat options can equally be a cause of frustration.

Out of respect for your fellow posters, we kindly ask that you continue any discussion about alternatives via PM or the Technically Speaking: Bugs, Questions, & Suggestions area.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Question: have any of you ever bought anything off of Temu? Seems too cheap to be real. 😁 

From what I’ve heard Temu is like Shein. I’ve moved away from fast fashion for personal reasons, but like Shein it’s very hit or miss. Also depends on what you’re trying to purchase. 

• Useful 4
22 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

From what I’ve heard Temu is like Shein. I’ve moved away from fast fashion for personal reasons, but like Shein it’s very hit or miss. Also depends on what you’re trying to purchase. 

Just plus size  t-shirts.

I don't care if they're cheaply made, because I swear whenever I put on an

un-stained t-shirt , it never fails that I spill something on it.   Always.

I probably should look into adult bibs instead. 😆 

I guess my real questions are more like did you always get what you ordered, no matter how crappily made it was?

I'm guessing you have to buy a certain amount of things to get free shipping?

( I already assume it will come on a slow boat from China.) I don't know what Shein is. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, ChiCricket said:

Just plus size  t-shirts.

I don't care if they're cheaply made, because I swear whenever I put on an

un-stained t-shirt , it never fails that I spill something on it.   Always.

I probably should look into adult bibs instead. 😆 

I guess my real questions are more like did you always get what you ordered, no matter how crappily made it was?

I'm guessing you have to buy a certain amount of things to get free shipping?

( I already assume it will come on a slow boat from China.) I don't know what Shein is. 

Yes I have always gotten what I ordered from Shein *(and I’ve heard the same thing about Temu). If you just want plus size tshirts I'm sure they will be fine, likely even cute. It’s not a scam. 

*Shein is a fast fashion/accessories/homegoods site. I have ordered dresses to accessories from there. My worst finds were jumpsuits and my best were Halloween earrings (very nice and well made and sparkly for $1 a piece). My Halloween phone case is from Shein and it $1. When my godmother was in the hospital (Cosmo’s old mom) I gave her my summer robe so I bought a new one for $7. I was impressed. Photo of the phone case. 

image.jpg

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
7 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yes I have always gotten what I ordered from Shein *(and I’ve heard the same thing about Temu). If you just want plus size tshirts I'm sure they will be fine, likely even cute. It’s not a scam. 

*Shein is a fast fashion/accessories/homegoods site. I have ordered dresses to accessories from there. My worst finds were jumpsuits and my best were Halloween earrings (very nice and well made and sparkly for $1 a piece). My Halloween phone case is from Shein and it $1. When my godmother was in the hospital (Cosmo’s old mom) I gave her my summer robe so I bought a new one for $7. I was impressed. Photo of the phone case. 

image.jpg

That's so cute! Ok let me go check out both sites. 😁

Thanks!

• Like 2

I had a bad experience with buying little squish toys from a Chinese  website.

I was supposed to get a squishy lemon, but when it came it was hard plastic! Not quite the same feel for my grandkid. That's why I'm trying to ask ahead of time.

Also got burned buying something on Facebook. Never again. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

While I haven't ordered from Temu or Shein, I have seen plenty of reviews on YouTube, and the general consensus has been the items are legit, the quality can vary, and the shipping time is reasonable.  I wouldn't use my debit card to shop either (or my credit card, for that matter), but I do have a loadable gift card specifically for this reason.  You can get a Visa gift card at Target or Walmart.  Also, check with your bank.  Our bank offers gift cards that are immediately available and can be used anywhere that accepts Visa.  

• Like 5
  • Useful 5
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

Old navy runs sales a lot and their clothes are not too bad. Sizes up to 4x.

I buy from their site whenever I feel like getting inexpensive dresses/leggings.

Old Navy has leveled up lately. Their jersey tshirts and tanks are very soft (I love anything jersey). They tend to run big which is nice for lounging. 

• Useful 5

Some very aggravating news from my younger son, who just got out of the Marines, and was hired by a large company in Texas -good job in mid management with lots of potential. He started working there in July, just bought a house two months ago, and has just been notified that the plant he works at is closing, and he will be out of a job come the end of November! He could probably find something at one of their other locations, but having just bought a house (and in the process of finding tenants for the house he bought when he was stationed in South Carolina, he's really not in a position to be able to move again. Much as he doesn't really relish living in Texas.

He'll be looking for another job in the area, and I'm sure he will manage to land on his feet, but this is SO frustrating for him. I'm livid over it...he seems to be taking it better than I am.

Ah, well, at least hopefully his next job will not be in another company owned by the Koch brothers.

• Hugs 6
  • Sad 15
1 hour ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

Some very aggravating news from my younger son, who just got out of the Marines, and was hired by a large company in Texas -good job in mid management with lots of potential. He started working there in July, just bought a house two months ago, and has just been notified that the plant he works at is closing, and he will be out of a job come the end of November! He could probably find something at one of their other locations, but having just bought a house (and in the process of finding tenants for the house he bought when he was stationed in South Carolina, he's really not in a position to be able to move again. Much as he doesn't really relish living in Texas.

He'll be looking for another job in the area, and I'm sure he will manage to land on his feet, but this is SO frustrating for him. I'm livid over it...he seems to be taking it better than I am.

Ah, well, at least hopefully his next job will not be in another company owned by the Koch brothers.

I’m so sorry for your son. While I don’t doubt he will land on his feet too, it’s sucky AND short notice; especially with the holidays coming up. Is your son married/partnered?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Salacious Kitty said:

They post that at the beginning. I just got the same alert for a package just yesterday. They updated it by the time I checked it this morning 

That message been going on since Thursday when the package was supposed to arrive.

I have the worst luck getting my mail…

• Sad 2

Once in awhile even reliable firms run into a snag.  Amazon is usually on time or at most a day late, but last December I became quite frustrated when a calendar I ordered on 12/10 was delayed after the original delivery date of 12/14, and they kept saying that they would give me an updated date, until it finally came on 12/30 or 12/31.  I was even able to update the delivery location to my sister's address as I didn't have it as a Christmas gift to give to her personally.

• Sad 4

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation, @Jynnan tonnix.  If you feel comfortable disclosing what line of work he's exactly in, I can talk to Mr. Six.  He has quite a few contacts across Texas.  Out of all of his business trips, he has gone to Texas most often.  If you don't feel comfortable, I totally understand.  I mean, I'm just a random person, but I am real 😉

• Like 4
  • Love 5
20 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Shein is a fast fashion/accessories/homegoods site. I have ordered dresses to accessories from there

I just ordered for the first time, an inexpensive little sling bag for running errands.  I wasn't expecting much, and it looks fine but every pocket makes crinkly noises.  I initiated a return, and they refunded me quickly but told me not to bother returning it.  So I have a crinkly, but free, little bag that I may use occasionally.  I found their website difficult to navigate and probably won't shop there again, but I have no complaints.  

• Like 3
  • Useful 4

We had an interesting delivery issue last year. I ordered a full length mirror for my granddaughter from Amazon. We kept getting different delivery dates, which is odd for Amazon. I think it was FedEx that finally delivered it....in pieces! We were refunded. The box was clearly damaged, so I suspect that some drivers were not willing to deliver something that was clearly broken and that may explain the changing delivery dates. Anyway, we just went and bought her one from Target and delivered it personally. Grandma & Grandpa managed to deliver it in one piece!

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 4
5 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

I’m so sorry for your son. While I don’t doubt he will land on his feet too, it’s sucky AND short notice; especially with the holidays coming up. Is your son married/partnered?

He is not married, but is in a fairly new relationship (well, since sometime in the spring, I guess) which seems to be pretty serious. He had a couple of relationships go south a few years ago because the significant others could not deal with his being in the military and not knowing when or where he was going to end up, and another because she was a few years older than he was (he was 31, and she was 36, with a loudly ticking biological clock), but this one seems like a keeper. She is a marine biologist, and was looking to move down to Texas to be with him, so hopefully that still works out.

1 hour ago, sixlets said:

I'm sorry to hear about your son's situation, @Jynnan tonnix.  If you feel comfortable disclosing what line of work he's exactly in, I can talk to Mr. Six.  He has quite a few contacts across Texas.  Out of all of his business trips, he has gone to Texas most often.  If you don't feel comfortable, I totally understand.  I mean, I'm just a random person, but I am real 😉

Thanks for the offer. We'll see how it goes...apparently he does have a few connections in the area who are in contact with some head hunters, so I'll let him follow his leads, but I will definitely keep your offer in mind in case he needs more places to follow. 

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Like 5

I’ve gotten into fall cleaning/organizing.  Today I got up early and cleaned and organized 4 closets, vacuumed the entire house, mopped all hard floors, dusted all furniture, cleaned bathrooms, sorted through clothes that are too large,  cleaned deck and outside of sliding doors.  It took me all day, but I got it all done. Except, I’ll need a truck to take away all the bags I have for donate and trash.  I also put out my fall decor.  I can barely wait for Christmas!  Lol. I guess we’ll get to Halloween next.  I’m planning on wearing my Halloween t-shirt to the gym and taking candy for for my friends, although, I don’t think they eat much candy.  

I had considered taking a couple of dozen donuts to the the gym on Halloween for the staff, but they might not want to eat sweets……idk.  I no longer eat sweets, so I’m sensitive to others like me.  What do you think?   Should I take that or a bag of candy?  I would estimate there are about 12 people on duty mid day.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 7
  • Applause 4
1 minute ago, BetyBee said:

I think it would be thoughtful to bring the candy. There are often treats at my gym.

Okay.  I just wonder if they will have candy for us members…..I guess it wouldn’t be a problem.  I won’t be eating any candy.  Lol

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I say take the candy. Halloween is the perfect opportunity for ensuring someone somehow gets candy, so they can probably redistribute it fairly easily if they don't eat it. 

Edited by Zella
  • Like 5

I just remembered something that might impact my treat plans….next week is the beginning of the gym’s October Fitness challenge.  Those who have signed up must log in and report their progress…..exercise and diet!  No sweets or fried foods during the challenge. I think it’s 6 weeks. Lol. I’m registered….i think quite a few others have as well. So….I may really need to take more nonsweet treats. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 6

I woke up this morning and threw up! I can't remember the last time I threw up and the weird thing was I felt perfectly fine after I did. I don't drink and I didn't eat anything unusual, so I have no idea what was up.

Without going into too much detail, a friend invited me to lunch and didn't show. She's terrible at texting and often is confusing about plans. I should have read her mind and known that she wanted to meet tomorrow instead, but I left my crystal ball at home. Today is not going great. Though I did have a nice visit with the new owner of the restaurant! 

A very nice mailman came to the door and wanted $7.60 postage due on an Amazon package. I didn't know what it was until I paid - it was an item my husband ordered and then cancelled because the delivery date kept changing. We were already refunded, then this package came postage due. I'm not sure if we got cheated or if we got the refunded item for only $7.60. Just not my day!

• Hugs 14
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

I woke up this morning and threw up! I can't remember the last time I threw up and the weird thing was I felt perfectly fine after I did. I don't drink and I didn't eat anything unusual, so I have no idea what was up.

Without going into too much detail, a friend invited me to lunch and didn't show. She's terrible at texting and often is confusing about plans. I should have read her mind and known that she wanted to meet tomorrow instead, but I left my crystal ball at home. Today is not going great. Though I did have a nice visit with the new owner of the restaurant! 

A very nice mailman came to the door and wanted $7.60 postage due on an Amazon package. I didn't know what it was until I paid - it was an item my husband ordered and then cancelled because the delivery date kept changing. We were already refunded, then this package came postage due. I'm not sure if we got cheated or if we got the refunded item for only $7.60. Just not my day!

I threw up this morning as well, but that was due to taking my morning medications, including my multivitamin, on an empty stomach because I was going to have blood work done and couldn't have breakfast. I always forget how horribly those vitamins sit on an empty stomach. Now I have no idea whether or not I actually kept any of my meds down. Felt fine afterwards, though.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there. I was posting to update the news on my son, who already has three interviews lined up after finding out the news of the plant closing and his being out of a job. Two of the jobs are local, one even closer to his house than his current 45 minute commute, which would be good. The third one is in Oregon, which, considering he's currently in Texas where the ink is still barely dry on his new mortgage, would be a bit of a nightmare, but they offer a heck of a relocation package, and he is far and away more of an Oregon person than a Texas one, plus it would be an awesome area for his marine biologist girlfriend...so he is giving it serious thought even though it sounds totally impractical on paper. 

• Like 14
On 10/7/2023 at 3:56 PM, Quof said:

I just ordered for the first time, an inexpensive little sling bag for running errands.  I wasn't expecting much, and it looks fine but every pocket makes crinkly noises.  I initiated a return, and they refunded me quickly but told me not to bother returning it.  So I have a crinkly, but free, little bag that I may use occasionally.  I found their website difficult to navigate and probably won't shop there again, but I have no complaints.  

This is the kind of thing I donate to my favorite women's shelter - great condition if not new, free to me, possibly something I don't particularly need, but a nice thing for someone who probably doesn't have much (or their kid).  I just put aside some socks I ordered that I didn't like the feel of.  The company told me to keep them, so I'll just "regift" them.  They're great socks - more expensive than I'd ever once have imagined paying, but I love them plus they have great but nice looking compression socks.  Someone will be happy!  (The company also donates one pair per pair they sell!)

• Like 8
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Ancaster said:

This is the kind of thing I donate to my favorite women's shelter - great condition if not new, free to me, possibly something I don't particularly need, but a nice thing for someone who probably doesn't have much (or their kid).  I just put aside some socks I ordered that I didn't like the feel of.  The company told me to keep them, so I'll just "regift" them.  They're great socks - more expensive than I'd ever once have imagined paying, but I love them plus they have great but nice looking compression socks.  Someone will be happy!  (The company also donates one pair per pair they sell!)

Bombas socks? I love them for that. 

Yes I agree. You can that item aside @Quof in the donate pile and I’m sure someone will be able to get use out of it. 

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

Bombas socks? I love them for that. 

Yes I agree. You can that item aside @Quof in the donate pile and I’m sure someone will be able to get use out of it. 

Yes Bombas.  I know socks for Christmas is a boring cliché, but people love getting Bombas!

• Like 8

Funny story about the Bombas.

Last year son's family received a bunch of pairs from DIL's dad and his girlfriend. They like them but were surprised because it was an odd gift from them. Girlfriend tells them she gets them for $1 or $2 per pair near her work all the time. Apparently she works in an area where they give the free pairs away and the recipients then sell them for a few bucks and take the cash. 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 4

Update- I had a lovely dinner on Saturday with my friends, my bff came without her daughter, made my delicious cheesecake (the rest is in the freezer), and I racked up with gourmet coffee, Sephora/Starbucks gift cards and a pair of Steve Madden Chelsea boots I wanted. 

In the spirit of materialism- I saw THIS fab suitcase online and already told my Mom it was the only thing I wanted for Christmas. Yes I already have a Fūl Disney Suitcase (the black Mickey), do I need  another, absolutely YES I DO!

Also about Christmas- I’m hunting down the Grinch Sheets from Pottery Barn second hand (poshmark and Mercari) because they are $140 retail and I don’t have time for that. They are my sister’s absolute favorite sheets. Favorite. But I may be defeated because I just went through this entire saga where I ordered them from Mercari and got SHOES (see attached). The seller said her husband  switched the boxes. I have gotten my money back but it was so random. I’m glad I just didn’t put the box in the Christmas closet!

IMG_5729.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 7
On 10/4/2023 at 2:30 PM, Jeeves said:

Reminds me of something a co worker said years ago. His mother lived in a 55+ condo community. He said that so many of her neighbors were hard of hearing and had their TV volumes turned up loud as a result. He knew it because he could hear the TVs through the closed condo front doors as he walked down the hallway to his mom's condo. He got used to it and got to know what people watched.  "Joe's got Fox News on, Gladys is watching Jeopardy . . . " 🤣

I was 16 the first time an ENT doctor recommended I try hearing aides. Since my step-father refused to spend any more money on me than absolutely necessary, that didn't happen. As a young adult, the high prices kept me from getting them. It wasn't until I was 50 that I finally broke down and got them. I had birds in the trees around my apartment and never knew it. Their chirping was so beautiful. I also realized that the only reason my kids survived to adulthood is because I couldn't hear them during their teen years.

I order from Temu a lot because I'm part magpie and like shiny stuff. I've had good luck with their shirts, other than everything is polyester. It's hit or miss with toys and gadgets, though. I check the size of anything I buy where size might matter because they'll show a picture of someone holding something normal size and when it comes it's smaller than a matchbox.

Edited by Nysha
  • Like 6
  • Hugs 1
  • Useful 2
2 hours ago, BetyBee said:

Rough night last night. My adult niece called in tears. My husband's sister has been pestering her for money and "mementos" since their other sister passed away last December. SIL's "proof" that she is owed money is sketchy, at best, more like she took a trip to visit her sister and now wants to be reimbursed for her travel from a few years ago. She has never cared for our niece (who is a lovely person) and clearly wants to get what she thinks she's owed and cut all ties. I've been putting up with her selfish crap for decades and I'm really mad at myself for not speaking up sooner. Without going into too much detail, SIL crossed a line yesterday and I want to be done with her. I think my husband will agree, but I want to talk to him before I do any blocking. I just keep imagining her grasping fingers going after my kids after I'm gone, or even me if I were to lose my husband. Thankfully, we do have wills, leaving everything to each other and then to our kids and grandkids. I've never spoken against her to my kids, but I do feel that I have to warn them. We're several years younger than her, so maybe she'll go first! 

I’m glad you have your wills in place, but I would warn your children. They might be susceptible to a sob story during a time of mourning. I wouldn’t put it past her to hit them up when they are most vulnerable. 

• Like 14
  • Love 1

This kind of stuff is why my stepdad didn't want me to tell his family when he passed.  I did think they had the right to know, but only called them after the estate was settled and called his sister who had never asked for money.  He, too, had a will, but a couple siblings would have thought they were due something if I'd let them know earlier.  

• Like 13

Just got home from the wake for Juan. So nice to see everyone...some I haven't seen in years, but for what an awful reason.

I was shocked that they couldn't even have an open casket. I'm selfishly kind of glad though because now I can remember him the way I last saw him.

It was in Chicago proper and I am so much a suburb person.

I don't know how those of you that live in the city can stand the traffic. Don't even get me started on the parking situation. I'm so glad my daughter drove us.  She loves living in the city.

I used to go into Chicago all the time to see my husband's family, but since the pandemic we unfortunately got out of that habit. (plus my husband especially seemed to have aged a lot in those 3 years.)

Funeral Mass is tomorrow. I'll be glad it's done. It broke my heart to see Juan's  21 yo daughter there..I can't even imagine losing my dad that young.😭 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Hugs 15

@ChiCricket I’m so glad you got to see family and remember your love of Juan. So very sorry the people were brought together for such a shitty reason. 

Given I grew up in the city I’m used to it. The suburbs are so FAR and it’s so dark at night and fewer labels on the streets. My mom stopped driving to the suburbs years ago “I don’t know where I’m going!” But there are a lot of fun things to do out there for sure! I think it depends on what you’re used to. 

• Like 6

It does depend on what you are used to. I don't mind taking the train into Chicago, but I haven't driven there in years. I don't even like the traffic in the close in suburbs where my Mom and sister live.

It's so sad about Juan, @ChiCricket I'll be thinking of your family. I lost my dad when I was 35. He was very sick, so I was relieved for him when he passed. But it has meant years and years of events that he missed, that I would have enjoyed getting his perspective on. I'm older now than he was when he passed. It's really sad that Juan was taken so young and so suddenly. 💔

• Hugs 9
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, oliviabenson said:

If anyone needs coats: old navy has them 50% off. I had a coupon so I got 4 coats for $100. Do I need 4 coats? No lol. 

Thanks.  I'm OK with my cold weather parka, but I do need some new coats.  I guess tomorrow I'll gird my loins to take on Mall of America.  It's only 2.5 miles away, but I haven't shopped there in years.

• Like 3
  • LOL 2
15 hours ago, ChiCricket said:

Just got home from the wake for Juan. So nice to see everyone...some I haven't seen in years, but for what an awful reason.

I was shocked that they couldn't even have an open casket. I'm selfishly kind of glad though because now I can remember him the way I last saw him.

It was in Chicago proper and I am so much a suburb person.

I don't know how those of you that live in the city can stand the traffic. Don't even get me started on the parking situation. I'm so glad my daughter drove us.  She loves living in the city.

I used to go into Chicago all the time to see my husband's family, but since the pandemic we unfortunately got out of that habit. (plus my husband especially seemed to have aged a lot in those 3 years.)

Funeral Mass is tomorrow. I'll be glad it's done. It broke my heart to see Juan's  21 yo daughter there..I can't even imagine losing my dad that young.😭 

My condolences. Losing someone is terrible I understand. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

This coat came out to $26 with a coupon. Hope it fits. I usually size up so let’s see. $42 is a steal in this economy.

I need a bigger apartment haha. Too bad can’t buy an apartment for $42!!!

B39814BF-D9F6-4553-8198-63C89B409A5A.jpeg

38 minutes ago, sagittarius sue said:

Thanks.  I'm OK with my cold weather parka, but I do need some new coats.  I guess tomorrow I'll gird my loins to take on Mall of America.  It's only 2.5 miles away, but I haven't shopped there in years.

• Like 10