Type keyword(s) to search

Covers: The Good, The Bad, The Meh

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

In very much the good category, a British female country group goes for Queen's Fat Bottomed Girls. Now, this isn't even the first female country cover I've heard of this song. And it got me thinking. Apart from being a damn good tune, there's so much societal pressure on women to look perfect at all times. Maybe it's refreshing to consider women who aren't perfect, by the general societal standards, as desirable.

Or maybe I'm overthinking it and it's just a good tune. :)

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Another good one, because bad ones rarely get attention. :) Awolnation's Sail, as performed by a live brass band. The crowd are really into it, as they should be. If the music is familiar and you can't place it, it's probably best known for a cat failing a jump.

• Like 2

A great example of how to do a cover. The Simon & Garfunkel original is definitely homaged in there, but it also sounds 100% like a Bangles song.

12 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

A great example of how to do a cover. The Simon & Garfunkel original is definitely homaged in there, but it also sounds 100% like a Bangles song.

OMG, the Bangles version fucking ROCKS. 

Similarly, I love when a pleasantly cheesy, middle-of-the-road song is covered, but given new life to the point where it becomes something kind of special. Case in point? Whitney Houston's cover of Steve Winwood's "Higher Love". 

Also? Monica's rendition of "Right Here Waiting".

• Like 2
On 5/2/2023 at 10:44 PM, Annber03 said:

Heard this cover on my Spotify playlist today. Love this version of the song:

On 7/23/2023 at 8:36 AM, tracyscott76 said:

As a child of the 80s, I knew these versions of these 2 songs before I knew the originals.  They are both still on my playlists.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

My sister and I were watching Are You There God, It's Me, Margaret with my niece and one of her friends. The movie included the Shocking Blue version of Venus. My niece said, "I like the original version of this song better." "This is the original version," we said. (Also, my niece is wrong about what is a better version!)

Having only been familiar with the 1983 version of the song by Naked Eyes, the recent Amazon commercial using the original * version of Always Something There To Remind Me surprised me.

I never knew the 1983 version was a cover!

* I say original version as the first to apparently chart with this song in 1964 was Lou Johnson, whose version is in the commercial. However, Dionne Warwick apparently recorded a demo of it in 1963.

I was never a huge fan of the song, but it's still funny to get musical education via commercials. And, if I had to listen, since it is the one I am most familiar with, I'd probably still stick with the Naked Eyes version, though the Johnson version seems more "bluesy" and isn't horrible.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
14 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

So, I really like Steve & Eydie's cover of Black Hole Sun. Don't laugh until you've heard it.

https://youtu.be/VgGBB0hTqo0?feature=shared

...I have so many questions about how this came to be and why it's on a holiday album, of all things :p.

But wow. That was a hell of an experience :D. There was something oddly haunting about that cover that I really liked. Thanks for sharing that. 

• Like 1

I know! You think it's going to be ironic, or camp, or ridiculous...and it's none of those things.

As for the album cover shown in the YouTube, the song isn't actually on that album. The person who uploaded the song decided (God knows why) to make that be the visual. It's about as far away from the feeling of the song, and S&E's performance of it, as you can get. And yet...maybe the contrast is brilliant?

• Useful 1
10 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I know! You think it's going to be ironic, or camp, or ridiculous...and it's none of those things.

As for the album cover shown in the YouTube, the song isn't actually on that album. The person who uploaded the song decided (God knows why) to make that be the visual. It's about as far away from the feeling of the song, and S&E's performance of it, as you can get. And yet...maybe the contrast is brilliant?

I like it when people you wouldn't expect to cover songs like that do so. It's fun to see someone do something outside their usual wheelhouse like that, and it speaks to how broad the appeal of certain songs can be, if they can get covers from all over the spectrum like that. 

Thanks for the clarification on the holiday album cover, that makes much more sense :p. I mean, musically, the cover would fit right in with that kind of holiday vibe, but lyrically...not so much :p. Unless you wanted to go REALLY dark with the holiday mood, I guess :D? 

• LOL 1