Type keyword(s) to search

Covers: The Good, The Bad, The Meh

BizBuzz
  • Start Topic

Would it be wrong for me to say that IMO, No Doubt's "It's My Life" not only did a much better vocalization and instrumental than the 80's band Talk, Talk but their cine noir whodunnit (frameup?) video was far more imaginative than the original safari scenes with the odd shadow flitting about?

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Would it be wrong for me to say that IMO, No Doubt's "It's My Life" not only did a much better vocalization and instrumental than the 80's band Talk, Talk but their cine noir whodunnit (frameup?) video was far more imaginative than the original safari scenes with the odd shadow flitting about?

Yes, it would. Then again, I like the Fine Young Cannibals' version of Suspicious Minds better than Elvis', so you may be asking the wrong person.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 1

Some of my favorites:

Hey Joe; Like a Rolling Stone; Blue Suede Shoes; Come On - Jimi Hendrix

Theme for an Imaginary Western - Mountain

Rock Me, Baby - Robin Trower

While My Guitar Gently Weeps  - Vinnie Moore

Spoonful; Crossroads - Cream

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat - John McLaughlin

She's a Woman - Jeff Beck

Born to Be Wild - Blue Oyster Cult

Manic Depression - Yngwie Malmsteen

Summer Breeze - Chambers Brothers

Edited by Gobi
  • Love 1
On 10/9/2016 at 4:13 PM, Gobi said:

Some of my favorites:

Hey Joe; Like a Rolling Stone; Blue Suede Shoes; Come On, Johnny B. Goode - Jimi Hendrix

Theme for an Imaginary Western - Mountain

Rock Me, Baby - Robin Trower

While My Guitar Gently Weeps  - Vinnie Moore

Spoonful; Crossroads - Cream

Goodbye, Pork Pie Hat - John McLaughlin

She's a Woman - Jeff Beck

Born to Be Wild - Blue Oyster Cult

Manic Depression - Yngwie Malmsteen

Summer Breeze - Chambers Brothers

Leonard Cohen's death reminded me of a fascinating podcast by author Malcolm Gladwell. In it he traces the history people covering Cohen's classic Hallelujah from his original, sprawling (he allegedly wrote 200 verses) version to the version made famous by Jeff Buckley fifteen years after Cohen composed the song. 

ETA. Musically, this cover of Hallelujah isn't exceptional, but culturally, it ranks as one of the best. 

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2
On 12/18/2014 at 10:48 AM, proserpina65 said:

I love Kate Bush, but Pat Benatar's version of Wuthering Heights is, imo, vastly superior if only because Kate's original was sung in such a strange, gimmicky voice.

Agreed, vastly superior. One of my all time favorites.

Spaceytraci1208

A lot of folks don't know that Aretha Franklin's "Respect" is a cover (originally an Otis Redding tune)

Bastet

Jimi Hendrix's All Along the Watchtower, Janis Joplin's Me and Bobby McGee, 

Don't forget to add Santana's "Black Magic Woman".

As Tony Quintero says down in the comments "When I tell people that Fleetwood Mac were the original artists to record Black Magic Woman, they think I'm full of it."

Five pages and I still don't hear any love for Ronstadt.

She even made an entire album once.

On 11/14/2016 at 10:28 PM, Accidental Martyr said:

Missing from that list is "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me" and "Hasten Down the Wind" both by Warren Zevon (though I don't consider them superior to the original versions.)

Half of the songs from her "Covered by Ronstadt" album aren't even on that list (to say nothing of "Blue Bayou").

I have yet another album of hers that includes her cover of "Poor, Poor Pitiful Me", and I too love it.

Edited by Twilight Man

I've got a couple that are in my playlists these days.  First is 99 Red Balloons covered by Goldfinger.

And second is The King of Wishful Thinking covered by New Found Glory (Which I like WAY better than the original.) No official video for this one, but there is a cell phone video of them them performing it should you want to see such a thing.

One of the most heart breaking moments of the "Hamilton" soundtrack is the song "It's Quiet Uptown".  Alexander and Eliza are trying to deal with the unimaginable pain of the death of their son.  Now that the "Hamilton" mixtape is out, Kelly Clarkson has recorded it, and has released a video of her singing it.  It's reimagined and rewritten for the voice of an individual instead of a duet, but the song is still heart breaking.  Especially realizing that Kelly recorded it when she was eight months pregnant.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, cpcathy said:

I don't care for it, but that's why the original is out there.

I think her live version is much better than the studio version.  I also think that all of the songs that I've heard from the Hamilton Mixtape are  over produced and sound mechanical--especially Quiet Uptown.  But, the one that Silver Raven linked is beautiful, imo.

17 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Ahem. :-)

No offense, but my preference stands as is ;)

A bit OOT, but I could not listen to Hallelujah by Tori Kelly and Jenniffer Hudson (from Sing).  :(    IMHO, Hallelujah is 1 of those songs that requires grittiness in the voice of the singer.  It just does not give that punch in the gut feelings when the voice is too "clean".

I LOVE Postmodern Jukebox so much, I can probably add a few pages to this thread just with links to their youtube videos. :D

Instead I am just going to post a few favorites:

This is 1 with the MOST ENTHUSIASTIC tambourine player in the WORLD :P

Can't stand Ke$ha but like her song?  Try PMJ version:

Sam Smith is good, but this version of Stay with Me is haunting:

• Love 1

So, the hard rock group Stone Sour (fronted by Corey Taylor) released an EP a year or so back for Record Store Day. And, I must say, Corey (with Lzzy Hale of Halestorm) did a rather good (IMO!) version of the Rolling Stones classic, "Gimme Shelter". (Although Lzzy Hale will never match Merry Clayton in the original):

On the first "Burbank" EP, they tackle...the admittedly cheesy (but catchy) Kiss song, "Love Gun". I read (if you believe the comments) that Kiss actually had the cover on their website:

I noticed recently that Ed Sheeran has an inordinate amount of covers. Unofficial usually. Some pretty unexpected. A lot of them are duets with the original artist too.

Like this one with Beyonce:

Macklemore:

Chris Brown (!!) very casual

I think he just likes performing and singing so much he'll take any opportunity to do it.

ETA: One more:

Edited by JustaPerson
  • Love 1
(edited)

Not a fan of the original artist, but I like listening to good covers of Justin Bieber songs.  Most of the time I do not even know (or even interested in finding out) the original versions :D :D :D 

Edited by DarkRaichu

Lucinda Williams AND Mary Chapin Carpenter? How on EARTH am I supposed to choose which version is better?

(For the record, Lucinda's is the original; MCC did the cover.)

• Love 2

That is indeed hard, and Mary Chapin Carpenter came very close on this song, but I pretty much always have to go with Lucinda Williams, one of my favorites singers.

• Love 1