Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Things We Bury

• Start Topic

Guess I'm a psychopath, I was glad Ward took out his skeevy brother, torturing mother and enabling father. (Although I love Tim Dekay). I think he and Skydaddy will team up against Hydra in the name of their shared love of Sky. I think I'm going to find that little set up just as interesting, if not more than, the rest of the show.

Edited by caseylane
  • Love 5

I agree with everyone else who's enjoying the season, and this was an especially strong episode. I loved the reveal about Skye's Dad's actual motives, and think Maclachlan is really killing it in the role. It was also wonderful to see more "Dollhouse" actors, although I wish they'd given Dichen more to do (she's so damn talented). 

Yeah, there's no way they can truly redeem Ward now. Not that they could before, but hopefully, we get confirmation that Ward did kill his family and then it might put some of the Ward fans in a less redemptive perspective. I like Ward and think he's a good villain for the team, but I don't trust him to be redeemed and back on Coulson's team. Once he injured Fitz to the point of brain damage, I don't see how he can be trusted ever again. He didn't even really apologize to anyone for his actions. And no, 'I love Skye' is not a good enough reason.

Kyle MacLachlan is just amazing at Skye's dad. I liked him before, but this episode really solidified what a good villain/morally grey character he is. I liked his interaction with Coulson and I wonder how that'll progress.

I actually don't think he's after SHIELD at all -- I think that was his way in, his stepping stone, and that as we realized this episode, his real target is Whitehall and Hydra. I also felt like this was supported by his scene with Coulson (which I loved, it was beautifully acted by both of them), in which he was almost friendly, and where -- let's face it -- he could have easily killed Coulson AND Fitz. Instead, he helped save Mack, and didn't harm either of the other two.

The one thing I cannot and will never buy is Ward's over the top and creepy fixation on Skye this season. I just think it was clumsily retconned, and while I can believe that Ward was secretly Hydra all this time (well, kind of), I'll never believe he's somehow actually in love or lust with Skye to the "Hello, Clarice" levels we keep seeing in all these scenes (like the latest one here).  The vibe Ward always had with Skye was that she was an exasperating kid-sister recruit -- I never saw a moment of UST with the actors and still don't.

The funny thing is, if Ward were all fixated on Jemma? I could totally see that.  Or even on May, building upon their previous relationship.  But the fact that almost every episode ends with a creepy moment where Ward reminds Skye how much he looooooooves her, it just makes me wince.

It's the only thing I really don't like this season, and that I continue to find badly written. Otherwise, I think everything else is great, and the writers have really turned the show around.

Last but not least, if anyone's compromised, I agree with the posters who feel like it has to be Bobbi -- not least due to the uncharacteristic way she messed up that interrogation, plus the fact that she may have facilitated his suicide attempt, PLUS the clear implication that she did some pretty dark things in order to be trusted at Hydra.

• Love 1
I actually don't think he's after SHIELD at all

I think he resents that Coulson has the relationship with Skye that he wants but hasn't been able to achieve, and that SHIELD hid his daughter so thoroughly.  But those are minor transgressions compared to Whitehall's.

• Love 4

BTW, did anyone else notice that Senator Ward was at the summer home for a bit of cheating.  He called his wife to tell her he wouldn't be home; then called his side-piece to tell her to bring the see-through present.

• Love 5
The vibe Ward always had with Skye was that she was an exasperating kid-sister recruit -- I never saw a moment of UST with the actors and still don't.

I agree that I never saw any UST between Ward and Skye, but I was coming at it from the idea that Ward, at best a sociopath, had become obsessed with Skye and essentially deluded himself into thinking she must love him too. They're so great together, they're perfect for each other, of course she must secretly want to be with him as mich as he does her. How could she not?

I think that the Skye obsession is coming from 2 places with Ward: 

1. With Garrett gone, Ward is at loose ends as far as 'who to take his cue from.' Ultimately I think Ward is a weak personality and very much a follower, how much his surface personality seems to be otherwise. Should a stronger personality come along (maybe Whitehall) to provide that influence and give him a path to follow, then Ward may go that way. I also think a big, driving force for Ward in joining Garrett was the opportunity to get revenge on his family. A long game to be sure but one that we see paid off.

2. As much as the Skye-obsession seems to have come out of nowhere, how much of his true personality did Ward hide before he was found to be Hydra? He faked a lot, even down the football team he preferred. I don't think it's out of line to assume that while externally he mostly treated Skye like the rookie-he-might-be-mildly-attracted-to, internally he was growing obsessed with her and was simply making sure it didn't show.

• Love 2

I'm also reading Ward's fascination with Skye as more of a delusional obsession than a deep set love. Ward's world collapsed around him and it completely broke him. Whether it was losing Garrett or the realization that he didn't want to betray his friends, something snapped, and I think he's trying to grasp onto Skye as his anchor the same way he did with Garrett.

• Love 4

Wasn't Raina able to touch the obelisk/diviner? I'm thinking there are people out in the general population who have sufficient Inhuman genes in them to pass muster with the device due to interbreeding in times long past - similar to Stargate where there were people with the right Ancient gene(s) in them to be able to operate Ancient devices.

This would also tie into the comics where Black Bolt set off a terragen bomb that triggered the latent Inhuman genes in people scattered around the globe.

Guest Accused Dingo

I'm also reading Ward's fascination with Skye as more of a delusional obsession than a deep set love. Ward's world collapsed around him and it completely broke him. Whether it was losing Garrett or the realization that he didn't want to betray his friends, something snapped, and I think he's trying to grasp onto Skye as his anchor the same way he did with Garrett.

He is trying to hold on to something. I think in his own sick way he thinks if he does a good enough job Skye...and Coulson will take him back again.i don't think it was his intention but the team became the closest thing he has ever known to a family but Garrett and Ward's loyalty to him was too strong.

There were too early season 1 scenes that have added meaning now. One Wasn't even directed at him. Coulson was speaking aboud Skye TO Ward and said that a person can be saved if they are gotten to early enough. Ward was gotten to early...just by Garret. The second was the bro moment between Ward and Fitz. I forget the episode where they had an adventure that cemented their friendship.

I think thst is why some people think the show is going for a redemption story for Ward( because Ward thinks that. If he is a good boy; a good spy gor Skye they will take him back, he will be forgiven, and he will have his family back. The truth i think will be a major blow to him when it happens because I don't think he will be easily forgiven.

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 1

Super late to the party but just watched the episode.  The final scene between Ward, Whitehall, and The Doctor was amazing -- I loved it.

I'm also surprised because I had been assuming The Doctor was the "alien" but this episode strongly suggests to me that SkyeMommy is the "alien".  So either a) The Doctor is a human and just crazy (acceptable), b) The Doctor is the "alien" and somehow assisted his human lover to regenerate and remain young (less acceptable), or c) they were both "alien" and Skye is, in fact, not human at all (acceptable).

I agree with posters above who attribute Ward's fascination with Skye more to a psychotic-break induced obsession rather that actual love.  He wants to be the "white knight" so he's fixated on the "damsel" -- clearly ruling out May as his object of obsession -- and Skye was closest at the time.  Also, since he's known about her family history, he may have built up a larger narrative of rescuing her from SHIELD/Hydra control.

Edited by dusang

Well, any ideas I had about Ward doing good are on shaky footing at this point. I don't know what his intention is being with Whitehall now, but, he could be playing Whitehall or figuring since his bridges are burned with Coulson and crew, the best option is to stick it to them. I can dig that. However, I don't think Ward will be redeemed at this point. I do love Ward's confidence and unapologetic approach to things. He's stronger now that he isn't trying to seek the forgiveness of the team. There's something liberating about that. Ward's little lower-lip smirk after Whitehall showed him the video of the house burning was absolutely delicious. I will miss Ward's brother. The actor was fantastic, and the scene with him and Ward at the well was good stuff.

I have to be honest and say that I don't find Whitehall interesting at all. Not in the least. Maybe it's the actor, or maybe the character is meant to be bland, but I find myself unintentionally thinking "how long is this scene going to be?" when he's in it. When Bobbi was interrogating Bakshi and she said something along the lines of "why follow someone so boring" I had to chuckle at the truth of that.

On the other hand, Kyle MacLachlan is an absolute delight. He is so compelling, he sucks me right into his viewpoint. The scene with him and Coulson at the end was one I had to watch multiple times to savor how good it was. "That's not her name!" Love it.

Good to see Fitz getting back to normal and in the field away from the oppressive influence of Simmons. I don't know what the writers will do with the two of them, but they need to empower Fitz and give him the upper hand for a change. A hot girlfriend might do the trick, and it might kindle some jealousy in Simmons because even though she's not interested in him, she wouldn't want him to be able to get better than her. In my experience, that's the best way to get over a woman. Of course the writers won't do that, but I can dream, can't I?

Speaking of hot girlfriends, my man Hunter! Oh yeah! That was a great scene with Bobbi, the two of them arguing. LOVED the impulse of the moment there, and Hunter turning around to look and see if anyone was watching. He is head over heels for her despite his grumbling at times, and she him too, I think. I think they make a great couple so I hope they stick it out and play all four quarters.

Koenig back for the next episode. Cool.

I need a Talbot appearance soon. Who's with me?!

On the other hand, Kyle MacLachlan is an absolute delight. He is so compelling, he sucks me right into his viewpoint. The scene with him and Coulson at the end was one I had to watch multiple times to savor how good it was. "That's not her name!" Love it.

I am liking him too. At first all I could see was either his "The Captain" character from How I Met Your Mother or his annoying federal prosecutor character from the Good Wife. But he is really bringing it and those characters are gone to me.

• Love 1

Great episode - I particularly loved the final scene with three psychopaths in the room, all wondering when they could kill off the other two. I guess that would fit the HYDRA mindset - Survival of the Fittest, bitches!

I'm decidedly dubious on whether Ward's family are all dead. To quote the Bene Gesserit, "Never be certain somebody is dead unless you see the body - and even then you can make a mistake," which is doubly true in the comic book world. I mean, I'm perfectly prepared to believe Ward killed them all, but I'm not discounting the possibility they're alive somewhere.

JayKay And scientifically speaking, Whitehall and his goons are dumbasses. Skye's mom could have been a far greater resource to more than just Whitehall if they'd left her alive and not dumped the body.

To say nothing of the fact that you can draw a pint of blood every month (if you keep her alive) rather than the mere 10 you can get if you withdraw them all in one go. Assuming you don't care about your prisoner's welfare (and he clearly doesn't), you should see them as  a product to be regularly "milked" for tissues (blood, ova, nerves, whatever), not as a disposable asset.

paigow - Bakshi should now look like Silva from Skyfall.

I wouldn't rely on James Bond to be scientifically accurate (not that this was necessarily any better researched)!

• Love 2