Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Things We Bury

• Start Topic

Yeah, either Simmons or Bobbi is indoctrinated, that couldn't be any more clear, they're just trying to play up the suspense. My money is on Bobbi because we'd probably get more reaction scenes from Hunter than Fitz.

I'm in agreement that it's Bobbi that's been brainwashed -- she was higher up the Hydra ladder than Simmons, so they would probably require more than a loyalty oath in order to truly trust her completely (what with her being former SHIELD) and probably planned for her to be a double agent if the opportunity rose.

I'm in agreement that it's Bobbi that's been brainwashed -- she was higher up the Hydra ladder than Simmons, so they would probably require more than a loyalty oath in order to truly trust her completely (what with her being former SHIELD) and probably planned for her to be a double agent if the opportunity rose.

Yep, I kept waiting for Bakshi to trigger Bobbi in the interrogation room. Heck, maybe he and Ward actually did get him in there on purpose so he could activate their sleeper.

I guess Ward didn't have to have killed his mom and brother. He broke Christian, earned his trust and reminded him of his rage at their mother. That's a recipe for murder-suicide, anyway, especially if Ward is coaching him along. I can imagine either scenario where Ward or Christian did it. But I'm not convinced that they're alive.

Because if even Ward could forgive for something so horrible, how would that make the heroes in Shield look?

Ward had a hotel room full gas and matches at the end of the last episode. I think it's immaterial whether he struck the match himself or got Christian in the mindset to do it. His intention was for the place to burn, and that's exactly what happened.

• Love 1

Dichen Lachman as Skye's mother?  Between her and Reed Diamond, plus Enver Gjokaj in a role on Agent Carter (not to mentiont he Amy Acker guest spot last season), someone clearly wants all the Dollhouse folks to appear.  

Damn, now i'm going to have to watch Agent Carter. 

I liked this episode, but the director seems to have come down with House's allergy to good lighting. Was he trying to show how dark the show is now? 

Edited by romantic idiot

I completely forgot about the preview clip at the start of this episode thread where it was teased that "an agent could die".  And what utter BS that was, as not even any SHIELD redshirts died.  Aside from HER NAME IS NOT SKY's mom and few Hydra guys that bit it during the gunfight in Australia, that's about it.  Tripp got shot in the arm, big whoop-de-doo -- he was never in any real danger.

I found there was plenty of tension. With killing off Lucy Lawless, and Garrett and with the additions to the team, I think there is a fair amount of ambiguity about whether any agents will die in any given mission. I don't need to see death to be aware of the possibility of it, which is all that is really needed to create tension. 

Oh man, I'm not sure how they can possibly redeem Ward now- and I'm a die hard redemtionista.   At least I am confident that his brother was a psycho too.  I'm sorry he and the parents are dead, because I would love to learn more about their sick, sick parents and what else they did to make their children so eff-ed up.  There's another brother and sister- I wonder if we will ever learn what happened to them.

I'm confused about Skye's mother now.  I thought she was with Skye (THAT"SNOTHERNAME!) when the agents of shield found her.  Am I wrong?  Also, I thought the story was that Skye's parents tried to destroy a village to destroy her.  I'm so confused.

The scene between Coulson and SkyeDaddy was awesome.  I truly thought Tripp might be dead. 

And what is up with Bobbi and Hunter?  I feel like one or both of them is bad (or hypnotized).  

Echoing everyone's love for this episode! A cool theory I read elsewhere is when Crazy Doc Kyle mentions being reunited with his family, that could have been a slip up. Since Whitehall questions him THEN he adds the whole in the afterlife part. If Skye's mom is alien (*cough* Inhuman *cough*), she could have regeneration abilities like recovering from being stabbed through the heart or vivisection. Mama could be waiting down in the city.

If Skye's mom is alien (*cough* Inhuman *cough*), she could have regeneration abilities like recovering from being stabbed through the heart or vivisection. Mama could be waiting down in the city.

I, too, am wondering if Skye's mom is still alive. When we saw her parent with Raina, I don't think it was specified if it was her mom or dad. And that person was covered in weird goo. Maybe that's how Mom survived. 

• Love 1

Tim Dekay -- the actor that played Christian Ward -- will always be Kevin from 'Seinfeld' to me, who played the part of Bizarro Jerry and got a vasectomy for Elaine.

Tim Dekay will always be Peter Burke from White Collar. Which is why seeing him so creepy and evil is blowing my mind.

He will always be Jonesey from Carnivàle for me ♥

• Love 4

I'm confused about Skye's mother now.  I thought she was with Skye (THAT"SNOTHERNAME!) when the agents of shield found her.  Am I wrong?  Also, I thought the story was that Skye's parents tried to destroy a village to destroy her.  I'm so confused.

I'm confused, too. My thought is that Hydra found Skye's mother not too long after Skye was born. I'm guessing she was born around 1989 -- the time of Whitehall's release from prison, I believe. So, I'm wondering... did Hydra destroy the village looking for people to capture to touch the obilisk, or why ever they were taking people captive, or did CrazyDad go on a rampage and destroy the village when he realized his wife was dead/missing? Maybe he wanted it to look like everyone had been killed so Hydra wouldn't go looking for anyone else like the mother? (I missed the episodes surrounding Skye's origins. Was she taken in by SHIELD as an infant or did someone "normal" raise her?)

Another great episode in a season full of them! I really hope this show has got the ratings to keep it going. Seems like a lot of networks are bringing down the cancellation hammer right now.

• Love 1

(I missed the episodes surrounding Skye's origins. Was she taken in by SHIELD as an infant or did someone "normal" raise her?)

From memory, Skye was found by SHIELD as an infant, in the ruins of a destroyed village. I'm hazy on the details - did they believe that her parents died trying to protect her or that they were monsters the villagers had died protecting her from? Either way, SHIELD quickly realised that the baby was an 084 and that death followed her - the agent who found her died protecting her, and snuck her into the foster system, setting up a secure protocol to ensure her anonymity, which also required that she be moved from home to home regularly (an unstable upbringing, but the best way to prevent her being found and to protect her carers). So Skye was technically raised by someone normal - she was raised by a series of foster homes. SHIELD had no idea where she was, and neither did whoever was looking for her - her father, presumably.

• Love 3

This episode was pretty darn awesome all around. Christian either confessing or telling his brother what his brother what he wanted to hear and the show not clarifying which it was? So Very Good. Ward continuing to be a murdering murderer who murders? He is just so much better a character that way. 

The Obelisk petrifying being entirely besides the point? The fact that everyone has been obsessing about what is just the security system preventing unauthorized use of the actual function? Yes. Perfect.

Mockingbird being a great interrogator without resorting to the tired cliche of torture? Verifying her deductions to check that she isn't being played? All the win.

Bobbi and Hunter having angry ex sex? That works. It wont fix their relationship, and I don't see them getting back together, but I believe that this is a thing those two people would do, I believe they would get married in the first place, and I believe that they would get divorced. 

Simmons being an agent carter fan girl? Yeess. The character beat about the possibility of brainwashing? 

Mack being less than 100 percent down with following the mentally compromised director ? Fitz struggling, and snarking? 

This, this is a good show. This is good writing, and excellent acting. 

Only two very minor niggles:

I did ... not.. need to see the surgery. And in fact, I didn't. Averted gaze from that part.

And.. uhm. An EMP powerful enough to knock out a military com facility from items that small? And they didn't,, ehrr, explode.. in the process? Seems.. unlikely. Reasonable if they were a software attack, but an EMP is an electrical-magnetic pulse, it is *energetic*. 

• Love 3

I am confused by something. Whitehall was in a castle in Austria right? So did his Hydra goons fly out to China to round up the village elders who had been in the exact same place they were in the 40's and bring them all to Austria? And then after he dissected Sky's mom did the goons fly her body back to China for her dad to find?

Also did I hear it correctly, when they were digging through the vault files, did Simmons really blame Hydra for dumping all of SHIELD's secrets onto the internet? She said something about how good thing Whitehall's files were stored in paper files in a vault otherwise Hydra couldn't reveal them or something. Because last time I checked Romanov was the one who did it. 

I am also not really convinced that Ward's brother and parents are dead. I mean this is marvel, until I see the bodies saying they are dead means nothing. And even if I did see the bodies it wouldn't still convince me 100%.

• Love 1

Tim Dekay will always be Peter Burke from White Collar. Which is why seeing him so creepy and evil is blowing my mind.

When Sen. Ward was on the phone to his wife, I actually imagined he was talking to Tifani Theisen (who plays his wife on White Collar).

When the news item came on about the Senator dying, all I could think of was poor Ellie (I think that's Theissen's character on White Collar),  Then I thought poor Neil.

I am also not really convinced that Ward's brother and parents are dead. I mean this is marvel, until I see the bodies saying they are dead means nothing. And even if I did see the bodies it wouldn't still convince me 100%.

I'm with you in your suspicions.  Not convinced at all.

When the news item came on about the Senator dying, all I could think of was poor Ellie (I think that's Theissen's character on White Collar),  Then I thought poor Neil.

Her name as Elizabeth, but at the time I write this, I couldn't remember it myself!  I wanted to saw Kelly, but I knew that was the character from SBTB.

• Love 1

He will always be Jonesey from Carnivàle for me ♥

WOW me too ! don't see too many Carnivale fans around, great show, still miss it. 

Count me in we'll see SkyeMom again. i doubt they'd hire Dichen and only use her once.

• Love 2

I am confused by something. Whitehall was in a castle in Austria right? So did his Hydra goons fly out to China to round up the village elders who had been in the exact same place they were in the 40's and bring them all to Austria? And then after he dissected Sky's mom did the goons fly her body back to China for her dad to find?

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I kind of got the impression that they got Whitehall out of prison and then took him to China where they had rounded up the elders. So all that happened in China. I could be wrong, though!

It was never made clear who destroyed the town Skye was found in. Just that she was found in a dead AOS arms and put in foster care with a message never to be put somewhere long enough to collect dust. It is possible that Hydra destroyed the town looking for Sky's mother or it is possible her father did when when he realized his wife was dead. Both Hydra and Dr. dad didn't realize Skye was still in the villiage.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but I kind of got the impression that they got Whitehall out of prison and then took him to China where they had rounded up the elders. So all that happened in China. I could be wrong, though!

But when they showed that castle after he got out of prison, wasn't there some text at the bottom of the screen that said it was in Austria?

Actually.. it's much worse than just "either Bobbi or Simmons could have been brainwashed". Hydra was threaded through shield, and had this technology for decades - it is presumably a big part of how they managed to avoid discovery. Reprogram key individuals in the chain of command, and anyone that gets suspicious and starts reporting said suspicions ends up encountering a hydra sleeper, and that, is that. So any members of the team except Hunter and Skye could potentially have been subverted... 

Uhm. They seriously need to do something about that. I mean, it's pretty nuts of them to engage in spy craft at all, knowing this, as opposed to taking up exciting new careers studying polar biomes, far far away from all politics, but even given that they are pissed off and want hydra dead, they seriously need to take precautions. Life logs. Never being alone. Capturing someone they know for certain sure has been mindcontrolled alive and seeing if they can find a reliable way to spot it.. 

Edited by Izeinwinter
  • Love 2

Actually.. it's much worse than just "either Bobbi or Simmons could have been brainwashed". Hydra was threaded through shield, and had this technology for decades - it is presumably a big part of how they managed to avoid discovery. Reprogram key individuals in the chain of command, and anyone that gets suspicious and starts reporting said suspicions ends up encountering a hydra sleeper, and that, is that. So any members of the team except Hunter and Skye could potentially have been subverted... 

True, and that could be an interesting twist, but if HYDRA had sleepers on Coulson's team from the beginning, wouldn't they have pulled the trigger by now?

• Love 1

Triggering a sleeper while Shield was still a giant organization with lots of hydra on the inside: easy, a hydra agent arranges a private meet, gives the pass phrase and there you go. Doing it now? It is not like their personal phone numbers are listed, and Hydra didn't even have a roster of who is still active. Presumably the password is in not "compliance" with every single sleeper, that would be too stupid for words. But if our cyanide poisoning case wakes up and goes all "Blue Hyacint Merigold" to one of the attending nurses? Can't claim that wasn't hinted at. 

As to the questions about Skye's mom and Austria:

IIRC, the first look at the Castle was when "Whitehall" was rounded up in 1945, shortly after Hitler's death.

The second time we see the Austrian castle, it is 1989, after Hydra/ Director Pierce has got "Whitehall" sprung. Daniel's men then hunt up survivors from that village, essentially picking up where "Whitehall" left off. He was probably hoping to find his "caged girl". He was elated and promptly proceeded to go all Mengele. For science. :rme:: After draining and cutting and taking everything but, I'm assuming, her "inferior" brain, "Whitehall" had his flunkies "dispose" of her body. I disbelieve that her body was flown back to Somewhere In, Asia. It's always a possibility, but I am not jumping on that train yet.  I can see SkyeDaddy tracking down Skye, which led him to the village SkyeMommy was in and being told about the kidnappings. During the time tracking SkyeMommy, SM was undergoing...that sequence. SkyeDaddy stumbles over his wife because flunkies on disposal duty aren't always hired for their problem solving skills.

We know that SkyeDaddy is...special. Just how special, we haven't been told. I am willing to guess SkyeMommy's evisceration was purposely slow and took some time, potentially weeks. I can handwave/fanwank that SkyeDaddy was able to go from Asia to Austria in that time, only to find he could not save his wife.

I just want to, um, marvel at Kyle McLachlan's layered take on Skye's father. I am alternately amused and scared by him, as we should be. As he seems to want us to be, as well.

• Love 1

I completely forgot about the preview clip at the start of this episode thread where it was teased that "an agent could die".  And what utter BS that was, as not even any SHIELD redshirts died.  Aside from HER NAME IS NOT SKY's mom and few Hydra guys that bit it during the gunfight in Australia, that's about it.  Tripp got shot in the arm, big whoop-de-doo -- he was never in any real danger.

Well Tripp's brachial artery was intentionally severed by SkyeDad and the cure provided in exchange for Coulson and Fitz surrendering their guns.  So Coulson could have sacrificed Tripp to capture SkyeDad.....but agreed that the hype was overstated. 

• Love 2

Loved the episode. As soon as we saw the women from 1945 in 1989 I thought she was Skye's mom. Did not need to see the 'experiments" though. And this is from someone who watches American Horror Story...

Who else thinks an Infinity Stone is in the diviner/obelisk? The way it was described sound very infinity stone-ish. In fact, when my sister, who has never seen the show before but has watched some of the MCU movies, heard how it kills people who touch it, mentioned Guardians of the Galaxy and the stone in it.

• Love 2
Yeah, either Simmons or Bobbi is indoctrinated, that couldn't be any more clear, they're just trying to play up the suspense. My money is on Bobbi because we'd probably get more reaction scenes from Hunter than Fitz.

They were laying it on rather thick that Bobbi could be compromised which is what makes me think it will probably be Simmons.

If Skye's mom is alien (*cough* Inhuman *cough*), she could have regeneration abilities like recovering from being stabbed through the heart or vivisection. Mama could be waiting down in the city.

I wondered about that.  Why bring Dichen Lachman on just to give her a minimum of lines and vivisect her.  We'll probably see her again.

Wow, half the characters on this show are certifiably insane. That was kind of a nuts episode (although pretty darn enjoyable, too).

I really need to go back to the scene with Simmons fangirling. I missed part of it by being impressed by Adrianne Palicki twirling whatever the sticks are called. I was a little bummed that May referred to "Agent" Carter. I thought she was the first director of S.H.I.E.L.D. Am I imagining things? (At any rate, I am super-duper excited for Agent Carter, as I will fangirl with Simmons any day.)

I think the only part that bugged me this episode was Hunter's whining. I do hope they explain more about how Reinhardt used Skye's mom to become young again. I also thought Bakshi's cyanide capsule was a nice callback to Captain America, in line with all the other WWII flashbacks in this episode.

Dichen Lachman as Skye's mother?  Between her and Reed Diamond, plus Enver Gjokaj in a role on Agent Carter (not to mentiont he Amy Acker guest spot last season), someone clearly wants all the Dollhouse folks to appear.

Well, it is a Joss Whedon show, after all.  He likes to use many of the same actors.

So I guess Skyedaddy either destroyed the village after Skyemommy had been kidnapped (anger at the village for letting her get kidnapped), or if he tracked her to Austria first, went back to destroy the village for letting Skyemommy be kidnapped and killed, and he presumed his daughter, Skye had also been kidnapped and/or killed, but somehow the baby was still in the village and survived, when found by Shield.  Skyedaddy eventually found this out, so now he thinks both Hydra and Shield took away his family, even though Shield was mostly trying to save baby Skye.

So when did Skyedaddy meet Skyemommy?  I guess it had to have been in 1988 or so, or why would they wait 40 years to have a baby?  And where did he come from?  How did he get to Skyemommy's village?  I presume he was attracted to her because he could sense she had already been "approved" by the obelisk.

I was always under the impression that the third brother in Ward's family died in the well.  If not, why the big tadoo over who told who to keep brother in the well?

Maybe they can put Dichen's character on the Agent Carter show, since she's from that era.. maybe explain a bit more about her origins and why her "race" seems not to age.

Really looking forward for next episode, love to hate Ward now.

• Love 1

I was always under the impression that the third brother in Ward's family died in the well. If not, why the big tadoo over who told who to keep brother in the well?

Maybe the other brother was brain damaged or otherwise permanently injured/disabled. Now that shit's gettin real for the normal folk in the Marvel Universe, maybe someone will will find a rock, stone, goo, ray, chant, spell, elixir, venom, gem, gene, virus, artifact, machine or mindbender that will not only heal him but also turn him into a superpowered man bent on revenge.

Maybe they can put Dichen's character on the Agent Carter show, since she's from that era.. maybe explain a bit more about her origins and why her "race" seems not to age.

Is she actually a different "race?"  I just thought she was "accepted" by the obelisk, for whatever reason, and it was by her touching it that she stopped aging.  Of course, she could be a different race and not know it, brought to earth as a baby?  Kyle's character is a different race, yes?  How did he get to earth and look like us?  Is the blue alien whose blood they used to inject Skye with (the same one that was used on Coulson) another different species, or is he related to Kyle's character?  If so, why need the blood for Skye if she's Kyle's daughter?  Is it also because she's Dichen's daughter and Dichen is technically human (but long lived because she touched the obelisk?).  This is all making my head hurt.

We actually don't know anything yet. Dichen and Kyle may both be human but enhanced in some way, both may be aliens, or one of them may be alien and the other human. They show hasn't revealed any of this yet. My money is on her being an alien and him being an enhanced human though I have nothing but guesswork to base that on.

My money is on her being an alien human hybrid. Not sure about Skydaddy (awesome name whoever coined it). But he was talking about the legend of blue angels from the sky. Those would be full blooded kree I imagine. Sky's mom is not blue and thus not full alien I think. Plus aren't full Kree crazy strong? Would she just stand around while an old guy sliced her up if she had the power to stop it.

In the comics the Kree were all blue originally but a later racial version (like Mar-Vell I believe) was pink skinned. So it's possible they're doing some variation of that with SkyeMommy, or SkyeDaddy for that matter. And yes, the Kree are considerably stronger than humans.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

So. Ward was telling the truth all along about what'd happened to his brother.

Big fucking whoop. At least Christian turned his life around, from what we've seen, and actually did his best to rise above his terrible childhood. Ward became . . . Ward. So I'm far more inclined to believe the remainder of Christian's rant against Ward than anything Ward would ever say or do.

Ward does still interest me. Don't get me wrong. But it doesn't mean I like him. I don't. In fact, I'm hoping for him to go down extremely hard now.

Not me. Ward is the only reason I check into this boring show. He's a Kellerman on Prison Break (although PB was genius). A magnificent bastard on a horribly evil mission and I am soooo down.

Some of it has to do with how much I loathe Fitz and he tried to kill him so it puts him in the win category for him. The only people I care about on this show are Ward and May although SkyeDad has made that list I think. I've tried to follow Ming-Na everywhere since ER.

This episode and the last were finally exciting if it took releasing Ward to make the plot move forward then they should have done it weeks ago.

Glad to see my Dollhouse peeps around. Woot!

The only thing I lament in this episode is the lack of WardBeard. I'll miss you so much, grizzly. We'll always have forcefield prison.

ETA Joseph and The Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat is my favourote musical so extra points for the biblical plotline there.

Edited by slayer2

In the comics the Kree were all blue originally but a later racial version (like Mar-Vell I believe) was pink skinned. So it's possible they're doing some variation of that with SkyeMommy, or SkyeDaddy for that matter. And yes, the Kree are considerably stronger than humans.

Forgot about the non-blue Kree. The kree I am most familiar with is Mar-vell's son who was also Captain Marvel but had blue skin. Probably time for a refresher. The Kree Skrull War paperback is sitting on my shelf (haven't read it in years) and back at my dad's place in my comics I have the whole run of Operation Galactic Storm.  My understanding is that half kree/half humans are a thing. But at this point who really knows (even the writers might not have fully made up their minds.

Also I wasn't really paying that much attention. Any chance the Austrian castle that Whitehall was in, is the same castle shown in the Avengers 2 trailer? If not how many castles does Hydra own?

My money is on her being an alien human hybrid. Not sure about Skydaddy (awesome name whoever coined it).

Other folks were using Skye Mom/Dad, but being an old TWOPer and Alias fan, I liked how it sounded in my head, very similar to SpyDaddy, Jack Bristow's nickname on TWOP. Plus, Kyle M. has the potential to be about as awesome as Jack, not just in the 'If you do anything to my daughter, I'll kill you' mindset.

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 2

Other folks were using Skye Mom/Dad, but being an old TWOPer and Alias fan, I liked how it sounded in my head, very similar to SpyDaddy, Jack Bristow's nickname on TWOP. Plus, Kyle M. has the potential to be about as awesome as Jack, not just in the 'If you do anything to my daughter, I'll kill you' mindset.

I totally got the reference which is why I think it was awesome. Especially since this is a spy based show on ABC.

...On a more sobering note -- The dissection of Skye's mom was horrifying, not least because it seemed to borrow details from from the real life atrocities committed against Chinese civilians by Japan's Unit 731 during WW2.  (In addition to those committed by the Nazis themselves, of course.)

That seems to make the graphic organ removal not just gratuitous gore. Plus, it demonstrates why Whitehall would be so sure Skyemommy is dead (even if she is alive).

If Christian's "confession" was genuine and not just the utterances of someone focusing on self-preservation, then it seems they are still going with an eventual Ward redemption--perhaps a final, dying act of redemption to save Skye or Coulson or Fitz (again).