Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: The Things We Bury

• Start Topic

So, is Dichen Lachman's character Skye's mom ?  If so, Skye won't be seeing mommy dearest anytime soon based on Whitehall's dissection of her.  And why would Whitehall's men return her body to what appeared to be the village they kidnapped her from ?

If that city was so easily found from the satellite network, how come no on else has found it yet ? Since those satellites have been up there for years.

Who was the redshirt working with Skye (THAT'S NOT HER NAME !!) analyzing the satellite data ?  Have we even seen him before ?

Skye's father was all kinds of whackadoo in that conversation with Coulson -- and why was he even in Australia at that facility ?  Did he also have a plan to EMP the main ground station in Hawaii ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 3

Now that's what I'm talking about.  Tight, well-paced, good Whedonesque lines that work because they're not the only thing happening.  They tied in / prepped the Agent Carter series, everyone had something to do or foreshadow (except Ming-Na who, I assume, was off getting makeup for whatever is happening in two weeks), and holy hell, a great coda.

I tend to watch without trying to predict -- I go with the flow.  So I did not see the coda coming and it was so much better that way.  Hi Mom!

• Love 5

Yeah I did NOT make the connection that was Skye's mom.  Poor woman.

And wow, Skye's dad is all sorts of crazy.  Love it.

I knew Ward was going to off his brother,  the whole "ok, thanks for confessing, we are all good now" was way too easy.    Although his entire family sounds way messed up.  Nice genes there.

Edited by mybabyaidan
  • Love 3

If that city was so easily found from the satellite network, how come no on else has found it yet ? Since those satellites have been up there for years.

That's the thing about big data -- it's great if you're asking the right questions, but it's not really smart enough to tell you that it may have something interesting. And this is big data to which only a few eyes are privy. Think about the interesting things that have been picked out from Google Earth. We've probably only scratched the surface of what can be mined, and that's with free access to anyone who wants to look. SHIELD had a goal, meaning a targeted search. So unless you're specifically looking for a lost city, the lost city isn't going to jump out at if you're not looking for it.

• Love 5

Did like Skye's daddy's temper tantrum with her name. And boo no more Christian Ward, however much I knew Grant was gonna kill him (I thought big brother was going to wind up in the well). I am wondering how much longer BD will be staying around. I do enjoy Evil!Ward, but he has to have a shelf life (because this is not my soap opera and its head writer's insistence on a psycho's viability as a long term lead).

I did know Tripp was going to survive (having seen some shots from AOU). Also loved Simmons fangurling over Peggy Carter. And yeah, I'm shipping Bobbie and Lance.

• Love 3

Another really good episode.  Love Dad, he's smart, he's crazy and yet not evil like Whitehall.  Like how Fitz is starting to feel useful. 

So sad the next episode is 2 weeks away but I guess everyone is taking off for Thanksgiving.

Also agree that I enjoy what they are doing with Ward. 

I just thought it was odd that Bobbie and Lance would angerbang while a really risky mission was in progress.  What if Coulson et al called for assistance ?  I suppose Simmons could answer the phone.

Seems as though there was nothing left to do but wait so downtime so to speak.

Edited by Matt K
  • Love 2

I wonder if Grant truly killed Mom, Dad, and Christian. He seems more like the use-a-magnifying-glass-to-burn-ants type. Unless Grant got Mom and Dad to 'fess up, I'm not trusting in their deaths. 

As for Skye's mom: did we need to see the actual removals? This isn't er or CSI; there were other ways to show us. We already "get" that Hydra suck donkey balls and like it, but the brutalization did not need to be graphic. Almost because of the graphic nature of Skye's mom's demise, I am almost for sure that she isn't dead. The Hydra flunkies left the body out alone. Unless Skye's dad was tracking her, it seemed like chance that he stumbled over her in the Austrian countryside. (To paraphrase Steven Wright, the Austrian countryside may be small, but I wouldn't want to paint it.) If Skye's mom was able to remain young, that sort of implies a slow aging or an ability to regenerate. Seeing the effect of her organs ( and/or more, say blood), I lean towards regenerate. We regenerate too, hence new skin all the time.  Skye's folks/racial make-up probably take their ability to eleven.

Also, Skye's mom seemed terrified of The Diviner; maybe she didn't consider herself "worthy"?

Nice burn, btw, Skye's dad. Not sure if "Daniel Whitehouse" truly understood, but I'm betting Ol' Dan doesn't care. He truly seems to have one singular goal in mind and dismisses everyone as lesser. He's still a dangerous, bsc Nazi scientist, but he's single-minded, seemingly to a fault. We'll see about that part, though.

Fitz? Is great! As if that's news.

Mack? I can understand his misgivings, but his we-can't-talk-about-this-to-any-Old-Guard is getting on my nerves.

Hunter and Bobbi? Shut up, leave each other alone, stop being gross about your "relationship."

::waves at May::

Trip? Had better be better the next episode. That there was enough of a time jump that he can go out with the team. Everybody has gone out less than 100% physically fine, so Trip would not be setting a precedent.

Grant and Skye's dad, plotting against...?? Hydra and SHIELD? Just out for one of the most dysfunctional potential families in primetime American TV? I am genuinely concerned for Skye. Not that she can't handle herself just fine, but the tag-team of Grant Ward and her dad? Yikes.

Dammit, Show! You had best reveal Jemma as brainwashed next episode or quit with the teases. You hurt Leo already, leave Jemma alone!

Next week: Koenig! Can lanyards be far behind?

• Love 6

Peggy Carter joins Bobbi, and Skye, as girl crushes of Simmons.  Now let's have a scene where Coulson and Simmons geek out over Cap and Peggy.

Love that Fitz is getting back into the groove.  I also liked Trip's smile after Fitz's comment to Coulson just before the mission, it was completely "There's the Fitz I know."

• Love 3

Dichen Lachman as Skye's mother?  Between her and Reed Diamond, plus Enver Gjokaj in a role on Agent Carter (not to mentiont he Amy Acker guest spot last season), someone clearly wants all the Dollhouse folks to appear.  I'm fine with that, as long as it's not Eliza Dushku.  Sorry, not a fan, and I'd rather her and her limited range not stink up the joint.

I didn't think anyone could replace my Garett/Bill Paxton bad guy love, but Skye's dad/Kyle MacLachlan seems to be more then doing it.  I'm loving that crazy bastard.  His interactions with Coulson almost had me on the floor.  And, the way he is dicks around Whitehall.  But, after that last reveal, Whitehall better watch his ass.  If they are ever alone in a room together, I'm putting all my money on Skye's dad.  Dude is not someone I want to be messing with, let alone killing his wife, in order to maintain youth.

Of course, Simmons would adore Peggy Carter.  Just add that to the list of things that make me love Simmons.

All this talk about brainwashing again, and all the cuts to Simmons and Bobbi, just make me thing that one of them has been compromised, and that this going to get ugly.

Unless it was a fake-out, Ward just flat out killed Christian and his parents.  Granted, the show reminded us just how bog of assholes they all are, but Ward doesn't seem to be done with his killing ways yet.  Now, he's back at Hydra, but is he fully loyal, or just trying to be a good little boy, so Skye will kiss him again.  Of course, now that Skye's dad knows he was part of that unit, I'm sure things are going to get interesting with those two.

Seems like Mack is still not over Coulson and the memory machine.  I wonder if this is going somewhere.  At least Fitz is getting better now.

Melinda didn't do much, but,  hey, everyone needs a break.  Skye continues to be likable, which I never would have predicted last season, at this point.

• Love 3

Wow, I thought that watching Nip/Tuck had desensitized me to fake surgeries, but something about the combo of Skye's poor mom's helplessness, the lingering shots on her body being hollowed out (Ward has no idea) and knowing that it was basically a Nazi doing it made me turn my head during that scene. Horrible. I'm almost rooting for Kyle McLachlan to win. I think I'd be on the warpath too if something like that happened to somebody I loved.

Great mixing up of the ensemble. I loved it. I was glad that a little of the ice between Simmons and Fitz's new bros thawed. Seeing her ostracized makes me uncomfortable, since it's mainly because she doesn't want to makeout with Fitz. Could have done without the Bobbi/Hunter hookup, but it was painfully obvious things were headed that way. And "resentful-that-I'm-not-in-Hawaii" May is the best.

Being able to dislike Ward without the run-around is a breath of fresh air. There isn't any fixing that kind of effed up. That's some baked-in, home-cooked crazy. I hope Skye throws him in the damn well.

Did you guys see the little "Oh, that's the opposite of comforting" look on Simmons' face after she said that anyone could be brainwashed by Hydra and not know it? The writers are just messing with us now. Hopefully it's just a humorous red herring.

I want to watch this one again just for enjoyment's sake, and that's a good feeling.

Edited by JayKay
  • Love 8

I could just watch Kyle Maclachlan be like that all day.  He's beyond great, he's downright magnificent.  Just... wow.  And the CGI younger face almost actually looked like him, too!

As to how he just happened to stumble across his dead wife, I assume that he was tracking her.  They 'took the village elders' and he'd been trying to find them.

And the first instant we saw a Chinese girl, after the first Chinese guy that died, I knew that she would be able to survive the obelisk and that she was Skye's mom.  I thought it was *too* obvious even, but apparently not.  So, yay me!

• Love 3

Wow, great episode.  I'm impressed with the storyline they are putting together.  The tone is dark as hell and they are holding nothing back.

This was an excellent backstory for the Whitehall character and how Hydra survived.  Got to name-drop Pierce from The Winter Soldier and others.  Great seeing Agent Carter and I'm looking forward to her show even more.

I'm really enjoyed Kyle MacLachlan here.  He's a good villain and batshit hilarious.

Speaking of villians, Ward...wow again.  I'm glad they are holding nothing back with what he did with his brother (great scene with both actors) and his parents.  The darker Ward gets, the better the actor, the character, and the show are for it.

I figured that was Skye's mother right away.  What they did to her is brutal and graphic and I was hoping we'd see more of Skye's mother and not just her being victimized. 

Is this the first time they've mentioned something being wrong with Fitz's hand?

Coulson probably has the least interesting storyline tonight though it got good once MacLachlan got involved and I loved his interaction with Tripp and Skye at the end, particularly when he told Tripp keeping that thing in his pants wouldn't be good if he wanted to have children one day.

Bummed that we have to wait two weeks for the next episode.  Bah!

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2
Is this the firsts time they've mentioned something being wrong with Fitz's hand?

It's the first time they have made an explicit point of it. Most of the demonstrations of Fitz's issues have been with his mind, but if you go back and watch the episodes with the intent you'll what Iain is doing.

• Love 4

Man. I would not want to attend a Ward family reunion. Supernatural had some family shenanigans tonight, and it wasn't quite as messed up as Ward killing his brother and others.

So . . . Kyle McWhatever and his wife are (seemingly) immortal, and Whitehall stole her mojo. But Whitehall doesn't know about Dr. Kyle being special, and Dr. Kyle knows that Whitehall a. killed his missus and b. is an immortal N . . . Hydra agent. And Ward makes it an interesting threesome. I'm not sure what he brings to the party, aside from familial-based psychoses.

Good episode. Any idea what ABC will be running next week? And "yay" to angersex between Bobbi & Hunter. Like I said last night in the Gotham thread, I'm a cheap date.

• Love 3

and Dr. Kyle knows that Whitehall a. killed his missus

See, this part has me wondering about Dr.Dad's "Must kill SHIELD and/or Coulson!" mandate. Unless Mom gave SHIELD Skye, which is how she was captured--away from the hand off--I can't see why SHIELD seems to be something he's angry about. (All the deaths, if this wank is true, are down to potentially others from Whitehall/Hydra trying to steal the child from the targeted mother.  Hence, no survivors.) 

If Dr. Dad's hacked off because, as he noted, Phil's not her father, then that's a different kettle of worms.

Hmm, it might be because Shield failed to take out Hydra back in the day, and even recruited some of their (creepy, evil) scientists into their ranks. Now that we know Dad plans to pay back Whitehall, it's not like he's cool with Hydra, either. It could be all the same to him.

And scientifically speaking, Whitehall and his goons are dumbasses. Skye's mom could have been a far greater resource to more than just Whitehall if they'd left her alive and not dumped the body. What evil scientist worth their weight in maniacal laughter discards a body with magical powers without at least trying to clone it or use the blood to resurrect some trained evil dinosaurs or something? Skye's dad was right, Whitehall thinks small.

• Love 11

Man, what a fantastic episode! People, who jumped ship, are really missing out.

I've always liked Kyle MacLachlan but he is killing it here as Skye's unhinged dad. And I love that, with his backstory, he's a total wildcard. And I totally didn't see link the woman in the cage as Skye's mom. Good job, show. Speaking of which, it was super disturbing watching her get pretty much dissected. I know that was the point but damn! You can certainly tell we're not on at 8 anymore lol

I'm glad that they seem to be going full evil on Ward, although it means we will end up losing him :-( he's a great villian

Great to see Peggy! And Simmons fan girling over her was cute.

• Love 3

Yeah, there's no way they can truly redeem Ward now. Not that they could before, but hopefully, we get confirmation that Ward did kill his family and then it might put some of the Ward fans in a less redemptive perspective. I like Ward and think he's a good villain for the team, but I don't trust him to be redeemed and back on Coulson's team. Once he injured Fitz to the point of brain damage, I don't see how he can be trusted ever again. He didn't even really apologize to anyone for his actions. And no, 'I love Skye' is not a good enough reason.

Kyle MacLachlan is just amazing at Skye's dad. I liked him before, but this episode really solidified what a good villain/morally grey character he is. I liked his interaction with Coulson and I wonder how that'll progress.

I figured Hunter/Bobbi would hook up eventually. They seem to have that kind of relationship, where it can be passionate and hot but it never truly goes deeper than what they want. I can see why their marriage would fail but why they're still attracted to each other. I doubt they will ever have a functioning romantic relationship, though. But hooking up once in a while? I'll bet that is their thing.

Yay, Fitz is getting better! I'm glad he's slowly getting better! And as much as I do miss him with Simmons, his time away from her seems to be doing quite well.

Simmons definitely seems different, and I'm not sure whether that's because of her experiences at Hydra or if she is brainwashed.

Yay Peggy! And yay backstory on Whitehall! And oh, Skye's mother! 

• Love 5

So.  Ward was telling the truth all along about what'd happened to his brother.

Big fucking whoop.  At least Christian turned his life around, from what we've seen, and actually did his best to rise above his terrible childhood.  Ward became . . . Ward.  So I'm far more inclined to believe the remainder of Christian's rant against Ward than anything Ward would ever say or do.

Ward does still interest me.  Don't get me wrong.  But it doesn't mean I like him.  I don't.  In fact, I'm hoping for him to go down extremely hard now.

• Love 6

I was seriously scared for Tripp.

So Ward is definitely EVIL. I honestly was fooled into thinking he reconciled with his brother.

Poor Skye's mom(played by Sierra from Dollhouse, Dichen Lachman)

Love Jemma fangirling over Peggy Carter.

• Love 1

Trip? Had better be better the next episode. That there was enough of a time jump that he can go out with the team. Everybody has gone out less than 100% physically fine, so Trip would not be setting a precedent.

I was SO hoping Trip was dead. Damn. Now I have to look at his stupid beard for another bunch of episodes. Oh well.

Dammit, Show! You had best reveal Jemma as brainwashed next episode or quit with the teases. You hurt Leo already, leave Jemma alone!

Next week: Koenig! Can lanyards be far behind?

This should be interesting to see. I think I am about done with Fitz and Simmons being so separate. It has been interesting, and shown growth for both characters, but I miss how close they were.

• Love 2

So.  Ward was telling the truth all along about what'd happened to his brother.

Are we sure he's telling the truth?  Any interrogator can tell you that a confession forced out under duress is not exactly the most reliable source of information.  Christian was about to be well murdered unless Grant heard what he wanted to hear.  I think it's reasonable to suspect that Christian could have been lying to save his life.

But Christian's dead now anyway, so whether or not he was telling the truth is sort of a moot point.  Grant is still a bad guy who's done very bad things, and whether or not Christian was telling the truth doesn't mean he can be redeemed or justified or whatever.

• Love 1

Next week: Koenig!

I am so excited about this.

Good ep and it moved along at quite the rapid pace.

Evil Ward really is much more interesting than Not Evil Ward. Too bad he killed his Senator brother because having a powerful bureaucratic enemy is always interesting for a story and he served as Enemy of SHIELd and Enemy of Ward. Plus, I like how the guy was playing Christian - never could quite tell when he was being honest, but you always knew he was up to something.

Whitehall is so easy to loathe and creepy as hell with his calm demeanor no matter what is up.

Skye Daddy is AoS's gem right now to me. I never know if he's going to be vicious and borderline irrational or if he's going to be charming, cool and collected, but I know there is always a touch o'crazy behind the front. The Unholy Triumvirate of him, Whitehall and Ward is going to be interesting.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 3

I've always liked Kyle MacLachlan but he is killing it here as Skye's unhinged dad. And I love that, with his backstory, he's a total wildcard. And I totally didn't see link the woman in the cage as Skye's mom. Good job, show. Speaking of which, it was super disturbing watching her get pretty much dissected. I know that was the point but damn! You can certainly tell we're not on at 8 anymore lol

YES.  This is one of my favorite things Kyle McLachlan has done in a long time.  No disrespect to anything else he's done, he's just SO great here.  That scene between him and Coulson was intense.

I really hope they keep subverting Ward's purported redemption arc, and that Skye/Simmons/May/Fitz/Mack/really anyone at all gives him the smackdown he so richly deserves.  I like that the show did not present past abuse as a get-out-of-jail-free card for current crimes.

On a more sobering note -- The dissection of Skye's mom was horrifying, not least because it seemed to borrow details from from the real life atrocities committed against Chinese civilians by Japan's Unit 731 during WW2.  (In addition to those committed by the Nazis themselves, of course.)

Edited by Malbec
  • Love 3
Guest Accused Dingo

Is the Ward third brother alive or dead?

I think Wards version of the well story is true. I just don't think it matters anymore to anyone but him. His family were monsters who turned him into a monster but how much can we blame our parent/childhood for what we become.......Skye? Can you answer that question for Ward?

Edited by Accused Dingo
  • Love 3

An interesting detail to keep in mind is that the 1989 flashback showed us that Skye’s father ages normally. His face was all smoothed out.

However, the fact that he can touch the Diviner without means that both he and Skye’s mother are the same thing. This would imply that it was the Diviner that activated whatever it was that kept her from aging, in 1944.

• Love 2

Poor Dichen Lachmann, she died last week on The 100 and then she died here as well. Give the woman a break.

I loved almost everything about the episode except for the Hunter/Bobby hook-up. They are so obviously setting up the "Either Bobby or Simmons is a mole" plot it hurts. I did like Bobby's interrogation of Bakshi, though, and I loved how she psycho-analyzed him. I'm still mad she's not a part of regular cast but Hunter is. She's a much more dynamic character and played by a better actor, too.

But the real MVP of the episode for me was Kyle Maclachlan (will his character ever get a name beside HERNAMEISNOTSKY's dad?) I'm digging the hell out of his performance and of the character, too (but mostly his performance). Can't wait to know more.

I guessed Dichen Lachmann was Skye's mother just after I saw her first in the beginning. It was kinda predictable, but I don't mind. Wonder if the dad has the same "alien blood" or whatever or there's another reason he can handle the Diviner - he wasn't immortal or long-lived or whatever. I suspect he may have a very different relationship with the obelisk.

I liked how Ward was handled. It's hard to fault him to killing such scumbags as his brother and parents, but he's still obviously a villain. The guy playing Christian was great, by the way - I almost believed him when he was lying through his teeth.I wonder if we'll ever see the youngest brother.

I expected Fitz having to do whatever it was he had to do to have a bigger focus. It was set-up but then all the attention went to the Daddy/Coulson face-off.

• Love 1

Kyle McLachlan brought his A-game to AoS. His acting is making the others look as if they could do better. (Although his dialogue in past episodes was clunky -- so I'm blaming the writers for that -- and a lot of other things.. )

I was glad that Ward does not seem to be on the path to redemption. But I still believe the third brother is going to show up at some point.
I do wonder if there is some point of having Ward kill the more prominent characters off-screen (V. Hand, his brother, Agent Koenig).

Edited by shrewd.buddha
The guy playing Christian was great, by the way - I almost believed him when he was lying through his teeth.I wonder if we'll ever see the youngest brother.

Tim Dekay -- the actor that played Christian Ward -- will always be Kevin from 'Seinfeld' to me, who played the part of Bizarro Jerry and got a vasectomy for Elaine.

• Love 2

That was a really good episode… and not just because Peggy Carter was in it! :-) I'm seriously so excited for Agent Carter in January I can't even take it. (First season of SHIELD when it was kind of lame, I kept insisting that they should've just done an Agent Carter series instead… just based on the short that was on the Iron Man Blu-ray!)

I honestly didn't really care if Tripp lived or died, though. He never really clicked as a character for me. But I guess he's gonna be okay. Not as sure about Ward's family. The fact that it happened off camera could either be because the show didn't have the budget to show it (or the time -- this was a jam-packed hour) or because they wanted to make sure they have an out in the future if they want to redeem Ward's character. Because killing his family is pretty bad. Though even if they reversed that one, Ward has still killed a lot of good people, so… yeah, not really sure he's redeemable in the end. I really hope the show doesn't go down that road.

That shootout at the end was kind of lame. Guess they didn't have the budget to do anything more dynamic. Or the director just wasn't inspired. I don't know. That scene where time passed in Whitehall's prison cell was so good, but I guess this guy can't do action. I don't know. Sometimes this show can fall a little flat on that front.

That shootout at the end was kind of lame. Guess they didn't have the budget to do anything more dynamic. Or the director just wasn't inspired. I don't know.

I'm just surprised with all those bullets flying around, all the computers continued to work perfectly.

• Love 1

Tim Dekay will always be Peter Burke from White Collar. Which is why seeing him so creepy and evil is blowing my mind.

When Sen. Ward was on the phone to his wife, I actually imagined he was talking to Tifani Theisen (who plays his wife on White Collar).

• Love 1

Them Ward boys is FAAAACKED AAAAAAAPPP.

That is all.

Oh, except that the only thing more adorable than Simmons is Simmons fangirling over Agent Carter.

Either Christian or Grant killed their younger brother. The youngest brother died in the well? Or in the fire? Pretty sure the youngest is dead, though.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

Either Christian or Grant killed their younger brother. The youngest brother died in the well? Or in the fire? Pretty sure the youngest is dead, though.

Weren't we told that the fire was being treated as attempted murder, because the youngest brother was in the house at the time and Grant knew that - which implied that although the alleged intent was for him to die in the fire, he survived. So he didn't die either in the well or the fire, current status and whereabouts unknown.

Edited by Llywela

I can never seem to keep straight which brother was in the house when Grant set the fire. Did Garrett say "your younger brother," or just "your brother"?

While I'm up, it's clear that HERNAMESNOTSKYE!!1!'s mom was very long-lived, but do we know that Kyle MacLachlan's Crazy Doctor Dad is of a similar age? It's been implied that he is enormously strong, but was he around in 1945?

• Love 1

I think they are being deliberately vague about the third Ward brother, so in a later episode they can either have him turn up or just be another notch on Grant or Christian's belt.

Simmons fan girling over Agent Carter makes me want a scene with her and Coulson to see who is a bigger geek about their WW2 crush.

MacLachlan is so much fun to watch it's ridiculous. I still can't get a bead on whether he's supposed to be an existing character or someone original for the show. As for whether or not he ages, it's not clear. Whitehall and Skye's mom have been around since WW2 but we only saw DaddySkye interacting with MommySkye during, what was it, '82 or so?

Yeah, either Simmons or Bobbi is indoctrinated, that couldn't be any more clear, they're just trying to play up the suspense. My money is on Bobbi because we'd probably get more reaction scenes from Hunter than Fitz.

• Love 2