Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E22: Charges And Specs

• Start Topic

RIP Charles and Vivian's relationship. So sad. I was getting nervous while watching that they were going to push ahead with Rosa/Boyle, so I was actually quite pleased when he woke up with Gina instead.

Andre Braugher looked amazing in that suit.

CYQvu5t.gif

• Love 3

Didn't dance to this week's theme song for the first time ever- I was so stunned by the 

"I just got fired from the NYPD" bit

that I sat staring in terror. A friend even spoiled part of this week's episode, and it still hit me hard.

Braugher's "What's up?" followed by Samberg's delighted expression (which was basically the same as mine while I was watching) was the best!

Oh my gosh, it so was! :D  It was totally my expression too, since it came with the double realization that a) this was so freaking unexpectedly awesome, and b) that line would totally have worked on me.

Totally going for a GIF hunt on Tumblr now...

• Love 1

Here's what I said on TWoP about this episode. Might as well paste it over here:

Holt's breakup flashback? Amazing. I actually wish I was as emotionally bottled up as he is, if that's how easy it was to end an 8 year relationship.

And also:

"I got you your favourite breakfast. A plain bagel and water."
"Don't try to soften me up."

Andre Braugher killed it in this episode. And this was all before he even flirted with the judge. And before she showed how great he was at dancing. I absolutely cracked up at him saying, "guys, we're running out of time, what's the plan?" while boogying away. Braugher is amazing at that sort of restrained, physical comedy. And he's amazing at line deliveries and facial expressions. How is this the first sitcom he's ever done?

Jake and Amy were great fun, as usual. I do feel the chemistry between them, and while I agree with a previous poster that it's not sexual, I think the potential for that is there. Loved how Amy was prepared to break a few rules, and even stand up to Captain Holt for Jake. And I loved the thrift store moment, because it showed again just how well she knows him. The sex tape titles made a return appearance, Amy gets into the play-acting a little (that's not a sextape title, by the way). Melissa Fumero is my absolute favourite.

I thought they played Jake revealing his feelings really well. He was sheepish about it, and wasn't expecting her to fall into his arms or profess her own feelings. He just wanted to say it while he had a chance, and did so. Refreshing, when most shows have their leads just bottle everything up for years, leading to miscommunication, angst and misery. No clue where they'll pick up when Jake gets back (six months, huh? Handy that season 2 should be starting right around then), but it's certainly something that moves their relationship along. And it moves it along like they're two real people who are capable of communicating. This show is breaking new ground, right in front of us!

I said all along that I thought Jake/Amy could be a less frustrating JD/Elliot, and I think the show is set up well for that, now. Their friendship is established, attraction is established (Amy might not have said anything, but I think Melissa Fumero is playing her as clearly attracted to Jake), and one of them has admitted it to the other. I hope they continue to avoid the obvious, and don't go down the route of, 'Amy likes Jake... and now he's suddenly got a girlfriend and has forgotten what he said to Amy'.

"Eyes closed, head first, can't lose". Perfect. And I will always love it when Friday Night Lights is referenced in mainstream media.

I didn't care for the flashes of Rosa/Boyle, and I really don't want that 'ship resurrected, because I don't see how any relationship between the two could be anything but a 'Boyle fixes Rosa's flaws', Pygmalion style tale. No thanks, on that one. Get Rosa a nice guy who's also as tough and badass as she is. And Boyle deserves someone who gets him, and can share his interests. I don't think the two of them could ever be compatible. And not in an 'opposites attract' kind of way, but in a 'they're going to really mess each other up because they're so different' kind of way.

I don't mind that Vivian is gone, because I felt like she was a bit of an anchor on Boyle, in terms of narrative opportunities. I think there's plenty to explore with him dating and living his life, though I hope that doesn't involve Gina. That would be awful for Boyle.

Best euphemism of the episode?

"Sorry to hear about your hand."
"Thanks. It makes it hard to manipulate my egg sack."

• Love 2

I loved the nod to Jenny Gildernhorn's blue dress from The Bet. And Amy looked great in the ballroom dress. Her uniform jacket seemed to be wide though.

I wonder if we will return to see Jake still undercover; more likely the premiere will be him wrapping up the operation and triumphantly returning to the 99.

Amazing finale. I remember at the beginning of the season I really didn't have high hopes for this show. And now here at the season finale, characters are making me feel things, and I can't survive a 6 month hiatus, I just can't. I think I'm going to have to do a rewatch pretty soon!

I've only just jumped on the Jake/Amy train in the last few episodes. That last scene between them was perfection. So nicely underplayed and vulnerable, and typically Jake (not having to deal with the bomb he just dropped for 6 months) but I like that Amy didn't respond or kiss him passionately or same other cliche.

Favourite line other than the infamous Wassup:

"SIR, I’M AMY SANTIAGO AND I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY: I THINK YOU’RE WRONG. I THINK DETECTIVE PERALTA IS ON TO SOMETHING AND YOU SHOULD LET HIM PURSUE IT. I’M AMY SANTIAGO AND I AM DONE TALKING."

I've seen a lot of support for starting S02E01 with Jake coming back from being undercover but I really really hope we don't get that. There's no point in sending Jake away on a storyline like that and not at least having one episode where he is still undercover.

I kind of want the season premiere to be that Jake has missed a scheduled check-in and the 99 try to find him (because they think he's been made). But nothing bad has happened, because comedy sitcom. Or maybe there's a badass shootout, and Terry takes out 20 bad guys with one hand, whilst Jake is thrown over one of his enormous shoulders. Either is good.

• Love 7

Amazing finale. I remember at the beginning of the season I really didn't have high hopes for this show. And now here at the season finale, characters are making me feel things, and I can't survive a 6 month hiatus, I just can't. I think I'm going to have to do a rewatch pretty soon!

Totally agree, acasmi. I was thinking about tuning in for the pilot, but wasn't sure since Andy Samberg wasn't my favorite SNLer of his class. Then my husband said he was interested in watching it and I said, "OK, let's give it a chance." And now, I am so sad that we have to wait until September. When the detectives found out about the amateur ballroom competition, I immediately got excited for awesome costumes because I've become so in tune with the characters and knew Peralta would make it happen. 

I agree that we need at least one episode of undercover work, especially because Jake met one of the mobsters in the bar. I assumed that the bar meet-up was to prep us for an undercover episode or two next season. Otherwise, the mobster character/tag would be a little unnecessary, since we already knew that Jake had been fired and now, by the end of the episode, knew why. Plus, undercover missions are always awesome on B99: the after-hours gym, Doug Judy....

• Love 2
I've only just jumped on the Jake/Amy train in the last few episodes. That last scene between them was perfection. So nicely underplayed and vulnerable, and typically Jake (not having to deal with the bomb he just dropped for 6 months) but I like that Amy didn't respond or kiss him passionately or same other cliche.

It was definitely a nice way for his confession to play out. No overblown angst or drama, just a guy telling a girl he likes her, without any expectation of it being reciprocated. And yes, the vulnerability was great. We haven't seen that from Jake all that often. He's all about jokes and goofing around, to hide his emotions (like all TV goofballs), but he's capable of dropping the act when he needs to. This though, this was a real moment where he was opening himself up, and I think Andy Samberg absolutely nailed the scene. Vulnerable, sheepish, a little awkward, but also confident that he was right to say what he felt. Cool moment.

And Melissa Fumero did nice work with her reaction. She didn't play it completely stunned or smitten or horrified. It was a little muted, and I think it matched Jake's confession well.

I kind of want the season premiere to be that Jake has missed a scheduled check-in and the 99 try to find him (because they think he's been made). But nothing bad has happened, because comedy sitcom. Or maybe there's a badass shootout, and Terry takes out 20 bad guys with one hand, whilst Jake is thrown over one of his enormous shoulders. Either is good.

That would be pretty cool. The Jake in peril plot would be good for drama and for laughs, and I think Samberg could have a lot of fun with Jake trying to get himself out of a jam. Seeing Terry, Amy, Rosa and Charles ride to the rescue would be a Big Damn Hero moment, for sure.

• Love 3

That would be pretty cool. The Jake in peril plot would be good for drama and for laughs, and I think Samberg could have a lot of fun with Jake trying to get himself out of a jam. Seeing Terry, Amy, Rosa and Charles ride to the rescue would be a Big Damn Hero moment, for sure.

I can see Jake using a bunch of methods he's learned from TV or movies and being amazed when they actually work (that would have to rely on the dumb-criminals stereotype though). Or the opposite, and the mob guys are amazed that Jake thought he could fool them with a plan straight out of last weeks NCIS (cue the 99 to the rescue)

Although, to Peralta's credit, he's a good cop so maybe he will actually have his own method, Peralta-stylez.

Either way there should definitely be a slow motion gunfight involving the whole 99. Big Damn Heroes indeed.

VERY late to the party; husband and I had a few random days off and decided tv binging was in order.  DH saw a few episodes and enjoyed it, so we gave it a go together.  I had no real hope, but my goodness, we didn't have a single episode where there wasn't a couple of genuine "lols".  I've grown to like all of these characters very quickly.  Color my surprise at enjoying Samberg's Jake. 

Andre Braugher, who I've always liked and brought a strong acting game to everything I'd seen him in, is just amazing here.  His "what's up?" was just too much for us.  We had to pause the tv.  Hee. 

I find these actors play wonderfully off of each other:  Samberg's reaction to "what's up"; the girls trying to make Boyle feel better; the gang plotting to help Jake, etc.  It really adds to the writing and individual performances.  There doesn't seem to be a weak link and after, like, a dozen episodes, my husband and I realized how diverse the show is.  They don't hit you over the head with it, but it's fantastic to see. 

Additionally, my "aww" moment for Jake/Amy is when he very randomly told her she looked like a mermaid in her ballroom gown.  I don't know why (maybe too much Once Upon a Time?), but I found it so sweet and added something to his confession at the end.

• Love 1

Additionally, my "aww" moment for Jake/Amy is when he very randomly told her she looked like a mermaid in her ballroom gown.  I don't know why (maybe too much Once Upon a Time?), but I found it so sweet and added something to his confession at the end.

I did enjoy that line a lot, but I have to admit I still wonder what exactly was Jake trying to go for there.  My best guess was that he obviously thought she looked gorgeous in that gown, but he was trying to find a way to say it, that wasn't simply "You're beautiful, or knowing Jake, a "Damn, you're hot!"  In doing so, his brain just started randomly thinking of anything that is considered beautiful, and it just landed on mermaid.  And he had nothing else, so he just said that.  It was so random, but it just worked.  Andy Samberg sold the hell out it too.  After it happened, I could just seem Jake almost thinking to himself "Mermaid?  Really, Jake?  Oh, well, it could have been worse..."

I loved this episode when it first aired, but it continues to grow on me.  An almost perfect way to end the season.  Two of my favorite moments of the entire season are still Holt's smooth "Wassup?", to the judge (damn you, Andre Braugher, and the way you can make one word sound so awesome and funny!), and Amy's "Sir, I'm Amy Santiago and I have something to say!" speech.  Hilarious and I love that Amy backed Jake and trusted him, even though it look like she was going to have a breakdown going against Holt. I've said it too many times probably, but Melissa Fumero is just the best.

Oh yeah, I thought "mermaid" as soon as she stepped out of the dressing room--it's just why did he stop and say it in that way? I think he wanted to say she looked pretty, and that just came out instead. It was a cute, and very Jake moment.

Oh yeah, I thought "mermaid" as soon as she stepped out of the dressing room--it's just why did he stop and say it in that way? I think he wanted to say she looked pretty, and that just came out instead. It was a cute, and very Jake moment.

Given that Melissa Fumero did look tremendous in that dress, I can fully believe that Jake wanted to tell her so. But yeah, his boyish awkwardness kicked in and he ended up pitching a little wide. I loved the way she played Amy's reaction to the line. Or rather, the lack of reaction, because her face just froze in that open, curious expression. I guess she was trying to figure out if it was a compliment or insult, and what it possibly could have to do with what they were doing.

And anyway, we all know that mermaids are supposed to be pretty, right? I can fully believe that Jake had thought that she looked like a mermaid in the dress, even if that's not what he wanted to say.

• Love 1

That's what I took from it too -- he wanted to tell her that she looked beautiful but didn't have the nerve (worried how she'd take it) so he thought well mermaids are pretty and her dress makes her look like one let's roll with that. And I agree, Amy's stunned/confused reaction was perfect, and mirrors the one at the end of the episode when he tells her he likes her. In both cases she's not sure if he's joking or...

I need to thank Norweigian Cruise lines for airing this show on their in-house TV's otherwise we would have never watched this gem of a show.  We took a cruise this summer and Brooklyn 99 was in TV sitcom loop on the TV.  We never saw it before and we fell in love with it.  We DVR'd all the eps and are now caught up.  Can't wait for the upcoming season. 

• Love 2

I need to thank Norweigian Cruise lines for airing this show on their in-house TV's otherwise we would have never watched this gem of a show.

That's cool.  I happened to discover The Middle a few years ago because United Airlines was airing it.  OTOH, last summer, United kept showing the promo for B99, which looked really awful to me.  I gave it a try mainly because some reviewers had written good things about the preview episodes they received, plus Mike Schur and André Braugher.  It really is a "gem," as you put it!