Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: The Magician

Lisin
  • Start Topic

I think maybe, here, she's trying to process the fact that Oliver just told her he had the ability to kill Malcolm but didn't. That bloodthirst is a bitch to swallow, man!

But she isn't even moving or clenching her hands or even shaking her head...? I mean she just has this blank look from what I can see from her profile. 

• Love 1

But she isn't even moving or clenching her hands or even shaking her head...? I mean she just has this blank look from what I can see from her profile. 

I think that's her shocked, stunned, processing look. A blip in the circuitry. A major malfunction.

• Love 1
But it makes zero sense that she thought it was Merlyn who literally saved her from her troll-doll hanging unless she is color blind.

Regardless of whether Thea knows who the Hood is or not, she can't very well call him up and thank him, so she has to thank Malcolm since he did at least have a hand in saving her.

Even if it is too dark to see colors, Thea should have been able to recognize the difference between Malcolm's LoA outfit and the Arrow's clothes.  I find it hard to believe that Malcolm never dressed up for her in the six months they were together.

Thea was out of there by the time Malcolm arrived, unless she passed him as she was running. I'm attributing her thanking him to Stockholm Syndrome, since she wouldn't have been kidnapped in the first place if it weren't for her relationship with him.

• Love 1

A little late to the party, but better late than never...I'll try to not spend too much time echoing the "Tell Quentin"/Oliver is uncharacteristically stupid/Whack Canary is whack sentiments others have much more eloquently expressed.

A little disappointed by the "Malcolm faked his death" business. IIRC, Oliver plunged an arrow through him to kill Merlyn. Diggle saw this and was like, "Daaaaaaaamn!" How is it then possible that Malcolm's death was "faked?" Why aren't our heroes questioning about this more? I understand that they might not want to use the whole Lazarus Pit thing yet, but still...

Yet another Thea kidnapping. It's about time that Team Arrow gets RFID tags for her, Laurel and everyone else. And it's high time Team Arrow brings her onboard. 

I loled when Nyssa knocked Roy out. I love me a good ass-kicking of Roy, and it has been way too long.

I still don't get the reason why, with literally the world at her disposal, Waller would waste time and energy recruiting an unwilling Ollie. Quickly getting to the point of not caring. Although I do look forward to Katana showing up at some point in the present.

I thought that Nyssa was ready to join Ollie on the sister-swapping train when she instructed Laurel as to punch from the hips "because that's where the power is." Yucko. 

• Love 1

Regardless of whether Thea knows who the Hood is or not, she can't very well call him up and thank him, so she has to thank Malcolm since he did at least have a hand in saving her.

I guess.  If she is the most polite, well-brought up thanker to have ever thanked.  Which she isn't.  haha  It just doesn't make sense.  But a lot doesn't so I'll just add it to the list. 

A little disappointed by the "Malcolm faked his death" business. IIRC, Oliver plunged an arrow through him to kill Merlyn. Diggle saw this and was like, "Daaaaaaaamn!" How is it then possible that Malcolm's death was "faked?" Why aren't our heroes questioning about this more? I understand that they might not want to use the whole Lazarus Pit thing yet, but still...

What gets me is the Lazarus Pit idea doesn't really work anyway, since even if they exist nobody uses them without Ra's knowledge or permission, which means he wouldn't need to be told Malcolm is still alive or have Sara check to see if he is. Nor would Malcolm have been scared by Moira's telling Ra's he was alive. My guess is his death was faked in the sense he may have stopped his heart/breathing using meditation techniques or drugs, and had someone in the coroner's office paid off, but was badly wounded by Oliver's arrows. Just not fatally, what with his armor and all. And Oliver was too distracted with his city crumbling around his ears and Tommy's death to check as well as he should have.

Yet another Thea kidnapping. It's about time that Team Arrow gets RFID tags for her, Laurel and everyone else. And it's high time Team Arrow brings her onboard.

I agree with this. Hypocrisy is one of my pet peeves. Oliver is lying to Thea while telling her he's not going to lie to her anymore. Yes, Thea is lying to him too but at least she is not telling him she's not lying, if that makes any sense. Thea is the last one in his life to know, except for maybe Walter and Ray. But I would like for Oliver to make a big spectacle out of telling her only to have Thea not bat an eye as she says "I know."

I loled when Nyssa knocked Roy out. I love me a good ass-kicking of Roy, and it has been way too long.

I'm hoping this is going to be a running gag and that eventually Nyssa has tranqued everyone on the show.

I still don't get the reason why, with literally the world at her disposal, Waller would waste time and energy recruiting an unwilling Ollie. Quickly getting to the point of not caring. Although I do look forward to Katana showing up at some point in the present.

Yeah, this makes no sense to me either. Waller is going to a lot of trouble to turn Oliver Queen, useless playboy billionaire into an assassin when surely her time and resources can be better spent elsewhere. I understand they're trying to show us Oliver's transformation and all, but his training from Yao Fe and Shado and Slade at least worked in the context of the story. Waller nuking Starling I understand. This is just...weird.

I thought that Nyssa was ready to join Ollie on the sister-swapping train when she instructed Laurel as to punch from the hips "because that's where the power is." Yucko.

I don't think Nyssa was flirting. She is still trying to wrap her mind around Sara's death. But Laurel is genuinely trying to better herself, and she seemed to be the only one in the cave who wanted Malcolm to die as much as Nyssa.

I guess.  If she is the most polite, well-brought up thanker to have ever thanked.  Which she isn't.  haha  It just doesn't make sense.  But a lot doesn't so I'll just add it to the list.

Now that you mention it, she probably is a little brain washed too.

Edited by KirkB

I still don't get the reason why, with literally the world at her disposal, Waller would waste time and energy recruiting an unwilling Ollie. Quickly getting to the point of not caring.

I know they need to show how Oliver gets to the super assassin he was in s1, but it makes absolutely no sense for Waller to train him when she's got all the villains in jails she can get, many of them willing to work for money like Deadshot.  She must be the most incompetent lead of ARGUS ever.

Hong Kong is a snooze. I wonder what Diggle was doing five years ago.... Roy....Sara... Felicity...Moira...Walter ....Raisa...

Edited by statsgirl

Well, for in plot/character reasons, @wonderwall is right: For this episode to work, and for Oliver's choice to be meaningful, everyone had to be against him. Felicity is often against him, granted, but she supports the no-killing vow. Second, since that also meant that Laurel had to be on the GO KILL side initially, that would have set Felicity and Laurel at odds. The two characters may not be friends, and Felicity expressed some shock/surprise at Laurel's call last week - but it was pretty strongly implied that she did (eventually) help out Laurel, and if Felicity and Laurel are shown fighting on screen a lot, that raises a real risk that a) viewers will interpret it as two women fighting over a guy, something the show has so far been praised for successfully avoiding, b) this will be interpreted again as Laurel moving back into the love interest role, something the show isn't trying to do and is getting blamed for doing anyway; no need to add coals to the fire. This way, the show could continue to make the not very subtle point that Sara's death has led to Oliver and Laurel growing increasingly antagonistic, and make the point that  Oliver still doesn't confide in Laurel that much. It actually adds to the Felicity/Oliver relationship.

Thank you, @wonderwall and @quarks, I think you really nailed it with your observations regarding Oliver's decision to "protect" Malcolm instead of killing him. Oliver has internalized his hero ideal of not-killing and can defend it against all odds, even if everybody else has a different opinion. Thereby, he shows a major character improvement compared to the end of S2. This is the decisive point the the show runners want to make with this episode - given that this season is above all about Oliver's identity (and the series in general about his character development from killer/ vigilante to human/ hero). But, you know what bothers me? That neither in a forum nor in a review I see this point mentioned very much. It seems that people don't notice or don't care. This is not meant to be a criticism of the audience, the reviewers and commentators. Rather, I'm wondering if this fact isn't a strong hint that there is something wrong with the way the show is run: If people don't talk about and comment on what you regard as the central piece of your storytelling regarding your protagonist (because, as I understand it, the audience is so distracted by plot holes, illogical shifts, OOC behavior of minor characters etc.), then you've failed terribly as a storyteller, haven't you???

Edited by Kordi
  • Love 1

The problem for me in terms of Oliver's no-kill policy in this episodes and why I don't talk about it is because I disagree so much with his protection of Merlyn.

I understand that he doesn't want to kill Malcolm since he doesn't kill any  more, but why not hand him over to the LoA who want him not for killing Sara but for the 500+ who died in the Glades?  The man gives the League of Assassins a bad name.

Or if not that (since some countries don't extradite to places which have capital punishment), call up ARGUS and put him in the Lian Yu prison.  Sure Malcolm said he could get out of it but we already know he's a lying liar who lies. And if he does get out of it, well at least Oliver tried.  How can you let a mass murderer go free just because he didn't kill Sara and he says can escape?  

Everything needs to be taken in moderation, including the no-kill policy, and by not only letting Merlyn go free but also protecting him, Oliver could be doing great harm if/when Merlyn kills again.  So for me, Oliver's decision is not moving forward in his growth but is actually several steps back.

• Love 4

With regard to the Lazarus Pits, I fundamentally could more easily buy that Malcolm was d-e-a-d dead, that one/some of his still-loyal minions arranged for his body to be taken to a LP, where Malcolm was resurrected and massacred Ras' minions such that Ras has no idea who used the LP or that Malcolm was brought back to life than killer Oliver stabbed himself and Malcolm, but didn't actually kill Malcolm, and that Malcolm was able to do some ninja voodoo to make believe he was dead.

Fair enough. Hey, I love comics and the concept of the LP but personally I have an easier time believing he was seriously hurt but survived than magic green water brought him back to life, but to each their own.

In the comic books, did Nyssa ever cross Green Arrow's path?   I was under the impression she was strictly a Batman character.

As a Bat-fan since childhood, I have been able to only grudgingly accept the deep involvement of the League of Assassins into the Arrow storyline.  I know that as the years passed, Ra's and the League began making cross-appearances in comic books other than Batman but they will always be creations of the Batman universe.   It feels a bit like cheating to me.   Who next?  The Joker?

Laurel is a loooong way from Canary.    She's ranging between petulance and murderous rage, qualities one typically associates with villains.   Oliver has to be seeing this.   He should probably cut Laurel off from himself and Team Arrow until she gets some help or finds a way to make her own peace with Sara's death.  

I interpreted the look he gave Felicity as an expression of a heavy heart.

Has anyone told Sara's sidekick (the girl from The Killing) that she's dead?

Speaking of sidekicks, I like the new Roy who knows how to take orders and carry them out.  

But I'm frowning over Thea again because she's a big fat liar just one episode after pledging Oliver to "no more lies."

• Love 1

Has anyone told Sara's sidekick (the girl from The Killing) that she's dead?

Not as far as we know.  Sin doesn't know, Dinah and Quentin don't know, and Nyssa only found out because she came to Starling City in search of Sara.  These are the people who were closest to Sara, along with Laurel and Oliver.

For a show that said it will honor the character of Sara, it's doing a poor job of it IMO.

• Love 1

I am not a Laurel hater in the least, I don't mind her. I don't mind KC. But this scene is terrible. She doesn't move at all, she's like a mannequin. I'm doing my hiatus rewatch and this actually made me cringe.

Watch "Freeze" on YouTube

Freeze:

She's probably supposed to be lost in her own swirling thought barely even paying attention to her outside world but instead it comes off like she's a robot that took a moment to reboot. 

It's also the fault of the director - a quick cut to Laurel's face frozen in stupor would highlight the fact she's shocked at Oliver's news. But having her just stand there in the background like a manequin in the closet... Really, it's only half the actress' fault!

As an ADA, Laurel could have a career-defining case if she notified her fellow legal authorities that the Glades mass murderer is alive and walking around Starling City. She would have to inform everyone that she has not only known Merlyn half her life and that he was her boyfriend's father, but that would only bring passion to her case in court. And, if Starling City is in a state that has the death penalty, she could even make sure that she was there to witness the execution. No physical workout required -- and it would be a storyline that supports the belief in the power of the law that has been an important character trait since the first time she was introduced.

• Love 2

Felicity was barely in this episode because she was in Central City during most of it. Between 303 and 304, Felicity crossed over to The Flash. Therefore, I'll post my transcriptions from both that Flash episode and this episode...

The Flash 104 (Going Rogue) – Felicity meets Dr. Harrison Wells (secretly, Reverse Flash):
Dr. Wells: “Welcome, Ms. Smoak.”
Felicity: “Dr. Wells? The Dr. Wells?”
Dr. Wells: “Please, call me Harrison, Felicity.”
Felicity: “You know who I am.”
Dr. Wells: "Ranked second in the National Information Technology Competition at age 19. Graduated M.I.T. with Master’s Degree in Cyber Security and Computer Sciences. I know who you are. I keep an eye out for promising talent in scientific fields. It’s what brought me Cisco, Caitlin. And I foresaw great things from you."

The Flash 104 (Going Rogue) – After Barry gets discouraged by trust issues within Team Flash (esp. Cisco), Felicity gives him a pep talk:
Barry: “No, I get it. He didn’t trust me.”
Felicity: “Barry, when you met us – me, Oliver and Dig, we were this well-oiled archery machine. But it didn’t start out that way. And unlike you guys, we weren’t tossed together overnight. We came together one at a time. Believe me, it took much more than watching Oliver do the salmon ladder to make me trust him.
(Barry sighs.)
Felicity: “I’ve seen first-hand what this life can do to people. It’s a lonely path. Don’t make it lonelier than it has to be.”

The Flash 104 (Going Rogue) – Felicity is the fastest woman alive:
Barry: “How long will it take?”
Cisco: “Uh, first I have to hack into the city’s network, so – I don’t know, 30 minutes, maybe?”
Felicity: “I can do it in less than one. When it comes to hacking, I’m the fastest woman alive… Ah, that was not as badass as I pictured… Alright, I’m in.”

The Flash 104 (Going Rogue) – Felicity advises Team Flash on teamwork and backing up each other:
Felicity: “You should go after Barry.”
Cisco: “You heard him, Felicity.”
Caitlin: “He wants to do this alone.”
Felicity: “Of course, he said that. He’s hurt. You’re his team and his friends. If I had a nickel for every time the Arrow told me to back off, I’d be as rich as Oliver Queen – who I mention because he’s the richest person I know. Or used to be.  The point is, you have your partner’s back, no matter what.”

The Flash 104 (Going Rogue) – After her visit to Central City, Felicity takes the train back to Star City and Barry surprises her on the train.  They have a conversation about their unrequited loves and then kiss:
Felicity: “You know when you told me you had a little experience liking someone who didn’t see you the same way? (Barry nods) That was Iris, right?”
Barry: “How did you know?”
Felicity: “It's the little things. The way you linger on her when she isn't looking. The smile you fake to play the part. The quiet dreams you keep to yourself.”  
Barry: “Like you and Oliver. Takes one to know one. I'm afraid it will change everything.” 
Felicity: “It will. But maybe that's not such a bad thing? What is wrong with us? We are perfectly perfect for each other.”  
Barry: “Yet we're sitting here pining for people we can't have. I guess what they say is true. Opposites do attract.”

304 (The Magician) – Oliver Queen’s voiceover intro:
Oliver (voiceover): "My name is Oliver Queen. After five years in hell, I have come home with only one goal - to save my city. Now others have joined my crusade. To them, I am Oliver Queen. But to the rest of Starling City, I am someone else. I am something else."

304 (The Magician) - Laurel blames Nyssa for Sara's death:
(Laurel is visiting Sara's grave when Nyssa approaches.)
Nyssa: "You have my condolences. And that of my father, Ra's al Ghul."
Laurel: "I don't want your condolences. And I definitely don't want your father's. She died with arrows in her chest. Do you think that would've happened if she hadn't met you? You were the one who showed her the darkness inside. You... and your father."
Nyssa: "I know you grieve. But so do I. I didn't show Sara the darkness, Laurel. It was already inside of her when we met. When I found her, alone, starving, and terrified, I protected her. I took Sara into my heart and I loved her with all my soul. That jacket... (Indicating jacket that Laurel is wearing)  I gave it to Sara as a gift. You are not fit to wear it."

304 (The Magician) - After Laurel lies to her father about Sara needing him to find an address for her, she is confronted by Nyssa:
Laurel: "What are you doing here?"
Nyssa: "Oliver told you about his plan to involve you in the hunt for Sara's killer."
Laurel: "I have a handle on it."
Nyssa: "Your father doesn't know, does he?"
Laurel: "No, he doesn't. And he can't. He has a heart condition."
Nyssa: "He has the right to avenge his daughter."
Laurel: "That's none of your business."
Nyssa: "Sara was everything I hold dear in this life. It is every bit my business."
Laurel: "And what would she say if she were here now?"
Quentin (approaching): "Hey, I almost didn't recognize you without your Halloween costume. Sara back in town, too?"
Nyssa: "No. She is not. But she told me to tell you that she misses you very much."
Quentin: "The address that I gave your sister for Janssen, she promised me that there wouldn't be any - you know, assassinating. Is that still the case?"
Nyssa: "I assure you, Mr. Lance, the only objective here is justice."

304 (The Magician) - Oliver tells Laurel that Malcolm's alive and a suspect in Sara's murder:
Laurel: "What's going on? Did you find Sara's killer?"
Oliver: "We have a suspect. Malcolm Merlyn's alive. Sara was here looking for him. We think he found her first."
Laurel: "And where is he now?"
Oliver: "We're working on that. He got away from us earlier tonight, but not before I hit him with an arrow laced with particulate nano technology. Felicity wrote a program that tracks the nanites using GPS."
Diggle: "A tracer arrow."
Oliver: "Yeah."
Laurel: "You had a shot at Merlyn and you didn't kill him?"
Oliver: "I tagged him."
Laurel: "With a flesh wound!"
Oliver: "He's marked. There's nowhere in the world he can go where I can't find him."
Laurel: "And when you do?"
Oliver: "I'm not a killer anymore, Laurel."
Laurel: "Merlyn is. He killed Tommy and 502 other innocent people. How many more people are going to die before you put him down?"
Oliver: "Do you think that's what your sister would want?"
Laurel: "Yes. I do." (Walks away)
Nyssa (to Oliver): "Let me speak with her."
(Oliver nods.)

304 (The Magician) - Felicity leaves programs that Team Arrow can use even when she isn't there:
Oliver: "The tracer arrow program."
Diggle: "You have Felicity monitoring remote from Central City?"
Oliver: "No, she told me an idiot could run it."
Diggle: "I will try very hard not to take that personally."

304 (The Magician) - Team Arrow discusses the meaning of the purple smoke over the city:
Laurel: "So Malcolm Merlyn is alive and Thea's father. Anything else you haven't told me?"
Oliver: "What did you get at the precinct?"
Laurel: "Not much. But I did get this off a traffic camera. (Hands tablet to Oliver with video of purple smoke over the city) It was recorded 10 minutes ago. After I struck out on anything related to Nyssa or Thea, I just looked for strange."
Roy: "Well, that definitely counts."
Laurel: "Sara. She never said much about the League, but she did say their communication system was a little outdated."
Diggle: "Smoke signal."
Oliver: "Nyssa's sending Malcolm a message."
Diggle: "I don't know this cipher, but I'm willing to bet my wallet that means 'we got your daughter.'"
Oliver: "Doesn't matter. Video gives me her location."
Diggle: "You mean 'us the location'?"
Oliver: "No, I need you to secure the perimeter. Get the rest of the video."
Diggle: "Copy that."
Roy: "She already knows I know about the Arrow."
Oliver: "Not with a dose of League tranquilizer in your system."
Laurel: "Oliver. This is my fault. I told Nyssa to go after Merlyn. I told her to do whatever it takes."
Oliver: "It's okay."
Laurel: "I know you're not a killer. But he is. Whatever else he means to you or Thea, know that."

304 (The Magician) – Felicity returns from Central City:
Roy: "Is Thea okay?"
Oliver: "I spoke to her. She's fine. Doesn't know who took her, or why."
(Nyssa punches Oliver in the face.)
Oliver: "I may have deserved that."
Nyssa: "You deserve worse."
Roy: "Um, what's going on?"
Oliver: "Merlyn didn't kill Sara. Which means whoever did is still out there."
Nyssa: "You're a fool... who insults the memory of a woman he once loved!"
Oliver: "I will honor Sara's memory by finding and punishing the person who did this - the real person. Nyssa. So long as Malcolm Merlyn is in my city, the League will make no move on him. He's under my protection"
Nyssa: "You would incur the wrath of the League of Assassins?"
Oliver: "I would do what I have to, in order to buy the time necessary to find out what really happened to Sara."
Nyssa: "You have made an enemy tonight. One with a long memory." (Leaves)
Laurel: "Oliver. Are you sure?"
Oliver: "If I wasn't sure, I never would have let him go. I promise."
Felicity (entering): "What did I miss?"

304 (The Magician) - Nyssa says good-bye to Laurel:
(Laurel is punching the punching bag in the gym, when Nyssa enters.)
Laurel: "I thought you were going back to your father."
Nyssa: "I thought I owed you a goodbye. I intend to make good on my promise to Sara and to you."
Laurel: "It kills me that he's still out there. Merlyn. Someone. It kills me."
Nyssa: "It pains me as well. I see you've been training... and wearing the jacket."
Laurel: "If you're going to stand there and tell me I'm not strong enough or tough enough, please... don't."
Nyssa: “Back at the cemetery, I would have. But since, you're reminded me that the strongest metal is forged in the hottest fire."
Laurel: "And what's that supposed to mean?"
Nyssa: "Don't forget to turn your hips... It's where the power comes from." (Walks away)

Edited by tv echo