Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E05: Ho'oilina (Legacy)

• Start Topic

It did have some good moments. 

I did have to work to believe that Dad and Chin were younger. 

I liked that Steve called Danny and wanted him to call him back,

Certainly some fun moments but mixed about the overall show.  Parts I really liked and at times it seemed really slow.

It does seem like they are going back to Season 1 formula in that Hawaii 5 O can break the rules and not worry about it.  Although the case was solved not sure they could do anything else.

I'm confused by these supposedly not being original air dates?  Isn't Jorge new to the cast this season?

I liked it.  Not sure I want Steve involved with his dad's substitute daughter but it was nice that her dad was that good of a person...it played out well.

Although OMG - no way! Chin is that much older than Steve!!

I read that the show is on the bubble for renewal and really want this thread in the front page H listings...I'd miss Friday nite lite if it were gone.  The intro scenes and the mid point ones were just beautiful.  Anyone know who the moderator is? Thanks.

Loved the brothers (?) being Jorge's back up too! but wow, you'd have to be a true friend to help him pack. :)

Edited by Jlina

I liked the unusual format of this episode. Instead of a shocking incident leading to 5-0 being called in, we had a nice quiet opening. In fact, this whole episode was pretty low-key with I think only three shootings in total.

I see this show is now sponsored by Ray Ban sunglasses.

I like how Steve dresses up for the anniversary of his dad's death but cannot be bothered to shave.

I wish there had been a little more follow-up to last week's events. We went to another country, murdered several people and all that happened is that Danny is taking some time off? Also, did we get those millions back to Chin's nemesis in Halava?

Is Halava a real jail? If so I bet the real people working there absolutely hate that this show depicts Halava as having a revolving door through which criminals can pass at any given moment.

Police corruption count: getting a prisoner out of Halava early (although they never did specify what he was in for) and ignoring Jerry as he blatantly broke the law. It's also questionable as to whether or not this cold case that Steve's dad worked on for twenty years is worth the resources of the governor's special task force.

That homeless guy helped 5-0 without complaint and they didn't even thank him for leading them to crucial evidence.

It was established early on that the guy in Halava was working for a drug dealer and the victim was trying to buy the young guy's freedom. So it seemed like it took way too long to come back around to the idea that the drug dealer might be the killer.

Doesn't McGarrett already have a girlfriend?

• Love 1

I'm confused by these supposedly not being original air dates? Isn't Jorge new to the cast this season?

I liked it. Not sure I want Steve involved with his dad's substitute daughter but it was nice that her dad was that good of a person...it played out well.

Although OMG - no way! Chin is that much older than Steve!!

I read that the show is on the bubble for renewal and really want this thread in the front page H listings...I'd miss Friday nite lite if it were gone. The intro scenes and the mid point ones were just beautiful. Anyone know who the moderator is? Thanks.

Loved the brothers (?) being Jorge's back up too! but wow, you'd have to be a true friend to help him pack. :)

They *are* original airdates. This is Season 5 & CBS is airing first-run S5 episodes currently, so the ep the thread is about is airing for the 1st time as the thread is created. I just followed another ep thread creator in using the phrase "Original Air Date" in my ep threads to note the date the ep 1st aired, in case anyone wanted that information. Also notation of the original air date could be helpful, to some, when the same ep comes up as a repeat later in the season.

Jorge has actually been in the show, as Jerry Ortega, since last season. Last season his character was considered "recurring" (like the character of Danny's daughter, Grace); his character was promoted to a full-fledged "regular" (main) character (like the 5-0 team & Max), with a spot in the opening credits, this season (just like Chi McBride's character, Lou Grover).

I somehow missed the reference in the ep to the age difference between Steve & Chin. But it's show canon that Chin is old enough to have been a partner of Steve's Dad, John McGarrett, before John retired from the HPD to work on the case involving what was said to be his wife Doris' death in what was said to be a car accident but was actually a faked car bombing to facilitate her disappearance (which was apparently necessary, we learn in Season 3, to protect her family because of her work as an undercover CIA operative). Chin was likely John McGarrett's last partner (or 1 of his last partners) before he retired from HPD.

It's also show canon that Steve & Chin attended the same High School, Kukui High (at least until Steve & his sister Mary were sent to the Mainland by John McGarrett for their protection after their Mother Doris' "death"; in Season 3, it's also said Doris McGarrett taught at Kukui High, but I can't remember if the subject she taught was mentioned... I wanna say she taught English, but I might be wrong). It's also show canon Steve & Chin both played football at Kukui High (in different schoolyears) & Steve broke some or all of Chin's records on the team/in the sport when he played on the football team after Chin did.

Funny, I haven't read anything about the show being "on the bubble" for renewal... yet. It's only aired 5 eps this season (out of 25 planned), & it's really too early to be predicting which "older" shows, like H50, will/will not return next season, at this point. It has a full-season renewal for this current season (expected to run through May, 2015). If you're going by the ratings/demos, again that's not necessarily an indicator. Especially as the show airs on Fridays & networks know to expect lower ratings & demos for shows on Fridays (since it's the 1st night of the weekend & many people don't stay home to watch TV, as such). I really wouldn't be concerned about the show's future until next spring--that's when the networks will decide the fates of older shows, like H50, & the shows that started airing this Fall & made it past midseason. FYI, CSI: NY (which H50 Exec Producer Peter Lenkov worked on before H50) was in this same timeslot H50 has now & ran for 3 seasons there before being cancelled. Please let's not call the end of the show before the network officially does (which may still be years off, for all we know).

If by brothers you mean Kamekona & Flippa (who helps at Kamekona's shrimp truck), they're actually cousins in the show. Flippa's character name is normally given in press release character listings as "Cousin Flippa" (the actor's name is Shawn Mokuahi Garnett). And that's how Kamekona introduced Flippa to Steve & Danny in the 1st ep in which he appeared, as his (Kamekona's) "Cousin Flippa". I think the 1st ep Cousin Flippa was in was the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show-related ep that aired early in the series.

• Love 2

It was established early on that the guy in Halava was working for a drug dealer and the victim was trying to buy the young guy's freedom. So it seemed like it took way too long to come back around to the idea that the drug dealer might be the killer.

When they were talking to Jordan in prison, I thought it was glaringly obvious that they should ask who the drug dealer was.  I figured the drug dealer would have a grudge against the guy trying to take away one of his dealers. 

I liked the victim's daughter - is she supposed to be Steve's new love interest?

Well, Jerry has been proved right about the book seller and now he's in serious danger.  Will Steve and the gang save him in time?

I thought there would be more fall out from last week but I guess it's reasonable that Danny went home to his family so they could have some sort of funeral/service for Matt.

I thought it was a pretty good episode even though Grace Park was hardly in it.

I didn't know the show was on the bubble for renewal; I am sorry to hear that.  I know the show is ridiculous most of the time but I really enjoy it:)

• Love 1

I thought it was a pretty good episode too.  I've been pleasantly surprised by this season.  Thought Steve had good chemistry with the prosecutor. 

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2

DW March: Yes, Halawa (the correct spelling--many Hawaiian words, such as this 1, have W's pronounced like V's) is a real Correctional Facility. The show has actually filmed some scenes there in past seasons, especially Seasons 1 & 2, but they've also recreated an actual cell from Halawa at the Diamond Head Studios where H50 films. In the Season 2 premiere, for example, I think scenes that took place at Halawa were filmed using both the real facility--I've read, or it's been said in certain ep commentaries on the DVDs/Blu-Rays, that they have a specific area of the prison where they film (I think it's "Special Holding" or something like that) which allows the production crew to come in & out freely but not those currently incarcerated there--& the recreated cell at Diamond Head Studios. Like the outdoor stuff--i.e. where Steve got shanked by Victor Hesse while exercising in the prison yard--was shot at Halawa, but the stuff with Steve in a cell when he's told he has a visitor (which turns out to be Danny & Joe White) was done in the recreated cell at the studio (except maybe the actual scene where Steve visits with Danny & Joe. That may also have been filmed in Halawa).

When they were talking to Jordan in prison, I thought it was glaringly obvious that they should ask who the drug dealer was. I figured the drug dealer would have a grudge against the guy trying to take away one of his dealers.

I liked the victim's daughter - is she supposed to be Steve's new love interest?

Well, Jerry has been proved right about the book seller and now he's in serious danger. Will Steve and the gang save him in time?

I thought there would be more fall out from last week but I guess it's reasonable that Danny went home to his family so they could have some sort of funeral/service for Matt.

I thought it was a pretty good episode even though Grace Park was hardly in it.

I didn't know the show was on the bubble for renewal; I am sorry to hear that. I know the show is ridiculous most of the time but I really enjoy it:)

So far, I think they're still calling Catherine Steve's love interest. In fact, Peter Lenkov repeatedly Tweeted earlier today "She's just a friend". No explanation, but presumably directed at those possibly already getting in an uproar over this new character being more than friends with Steve.

You'll have to keep watching to find out what happens with Jerry.

Oh, Peter Lenkov says the shooting fallout hasn't ended for Danny. Check my recent post in the Spoilers and Speculation thread for a link to where he discussed the continuation of the Danny arc.

With all due respect to the original poster, I'm not going to believe the show is "on the bubble" for renewal until/unless I see it for myself. Which I haven't yet. The show is currently renewed through the end of the current season, which should have it airing through sometime in May, 2015. Especially given that it still has to air 20 of the 25 eps ordered for this season (they were filming Ep 11 for S5 as of this past week; I don't know if filming is completed on that or not). I wouldn't get concerned about its renewal chances until the beginning/Spring of 2015 when the networks will finalize their schedules for next season, which would be H50's 6th, if renewed. Also, I think Peter Lenkov is in the middle of a development deal with CBS. If he is, that should guarantee H50, which Peter Lenkov Executive Produces, will remain on air at least through the conclusion of that deal (it normally would guarantee something like that anyway). And, H50 is very successful, & makes a lot of money, for CBS by airing in foreign markets. If it stays profitable in that way, I don't see CBS giving up that revenue by cancelling it in the near future.

• Love 1

Perhaps. But then fans will decide she takes time away from the "core four (unlike, ya know, Jerry or Grover) at which point she'll be killed or sent off-screen to be forgotten.

• Love 1

Thank you for all the info Barry.  I watched the Jorge and the statue ep, and McBride (love him) coming on but don't watch every week.  I understand the date thing now too.  I thought they said cousins, but boy do they look like brothers, lol.  I was actually trying to find out if Scorpion was doing well still when I saw the H50 stuff; I'll be happy not to worry about it, but what I read said both it and Blue Bloods were on the bubble which surprised the heck out of me. 

Most recent stats here:  http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2014/10/21/cbs-predictions-the-millers-is-certain-to-be-renewed-next-stop-syndication-ville/315837/.  And it's actually come up from .50 even so 3 smiles is good... I think this was the site and around this time that I originally read that, although I can't find the exact post:  There is a whole range of veteran series that have not been doing great. CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, The Good Wife, Person Of Interest and Hawaii Five-0 have all been scoring (far) below average. However, they are also all at that point where the syndication argument comes in, meaning that every additional episode guarantees extra money.  http://www.tvwatchus.com/rencan/2014/10/19/cbs-predictions-ncis-new-orleans-renewed-many-veterans-trouble/

I still wish McGarret was playing vampire with Logan Echols on Friday nights actually. 

Oh, and thanks for the Chin back story; I guess it's plausible if Chin were really young, McGarrret's dad really old and McGarett like 5 years younger.  Maybe.

@ jhlipton - LOL!

eta:  found the original "shocking" post:  Zap2It also says that Blue Bloods and Hawaii Five-0, which air on Friday nights, are a “toss up” in terms of being renewed or canceled.  http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1029346-csi-the-good-wife-madam-secretary-could-get-canceled-by-cbs-at-this-point/

Edited by Jlina

Oh, and thanks for the Chin back story; I guess it's plausible if Chin were really young, McGarrret's dad really old and McGarett like 5 years younger.  Maybe.

Chin Ho started out as the old school cop on the team back before Captain Grover joined. While the rest carried sub-machine guns and assault rifles on raids he carries an old school shotgun for instance. If I recall correctly just after Steve was sent to the mainland Chin Ho became Sergeant McGarrett's trainee partner. I am guessing Steve was 17 if he broke all the high school football records yet was not sent away to the Naval Academy so that leaves the second semester of his senior year. So that five year time frame does fit

• Love 1

Nice to see Sargent John McGarrett from 19 years ago. Also nice to see 6 year old Steve and the Original 5-O Mercury Marquis. Manifold leak, probably a gasket problem. It was cute little Stevie giving his dad the wrench to work on the car.

So chin is that much older Even if he is 19-20 and a Rookie, would make him 12 years older then Steve? I guess Steve did break all of Chin's High School Football Records. Nice that Chin remembered the case and even the bum suspect, Ned Burrows. It was nice having Chin and Steve working together on the case. But with Danny home and probably a mess after loosing his brother Matt and having to shoot Marco Reyes, Chin should be the next choice. It was nice Steve was trying to get a hold of Danny to see how he was doing. When the dealer Jimmy Sykes was mentioned and then not checked into until later I figured he must have been the culprit. Either that or a throw away name, like the head of the underground game room,Paradise Den, Dominic Alonzo. He's been dead 8 years. I thought the resumed body of Paul Clayton after 19 years would be more bones then with the flesh? "Bones" works with a lot less from a more current burial. Granted Paul was in a casket and most of "Bones" bodies are in open, or other weird locations.

Nice for Steve to find out that John regretted sending away him and Mary. Also nice that Aunt Deb(Carrol Burnett)is getting chemo, and Mary and Joanie are doing well.

Steve looked good dressed up to see his Dad on the 4th Anniversary of his death. But he forgot to shave? Not sure what the quarter to dad meant? Did he give Steve a quarter he remembered? Did dad flip one like the old gangsters did, lol.

Elli Clayton seems quite nice. I'm surprised she has the accent. Seems by the story that she lived in Hawaii most all her life. Or did she just return to the Islands? Her dad's bar, Ace's High is still there, unused. Was that match book one that we saw back in the first season? Or when Jerry went through it and found the Shelburne misspelling on bottom?

Nice that they showed that the taking of the money box was just a front for a hit. I see so many times on these shows someone is whacked, and his wallet and credit cards were left behind. "Well Mr. Thompson wasn't robbed, he still had $150 and 2 credit cards on him"! Take the wallet and make it a little harder for our guys to solve it, ok? Even if you drop it in a trash can or flip it to a bum, lol. But I would hate to have mine taken too. But with Tony Malua and Jordan Lewis helping lead them to Jimmy Sykes, it made it a little more difficult to track it. It didn't make John Mc. look to dumb, and especially with the trail having to be even deader then it was back then. Granted the bullet fragments in the body helped.

Surprised that Jordan Lewis could help 5-0 bring down Sykes. But he did like Clayton. So Clayton was once a part of SVL and quit. He had gotten in Sykes's face. The "Howlie"(Tony Malua's words, not mine. No hate mail please!) messed with Sykes business. So Lewis(Sykes words) got Clayton killed. But he is sorry after both Lewis hits him and Steve shoots him. Nice that later Ellie went to see Lewis.

Nice that Ellie knew some stuff about cars. Does seem like maybe a romance is in the works? She is down to Earth. But I still miss Catherine in the right doses.

I think Flippa going in to get back Jerry's book really tipped off Farrow. He did know something was up, but not sure what in Jerry's case before. He might have thought Jerry a private dick, or he worked for a gang that was going to rob the place? Maybe Chin Ho shouldn't have told Jerry to back off like that. But at end we see Thomas Farrow book shop owner at Jerry's to probably kidnap him. Insert head in bag here. So the team may have to watch Jerry's tapes. They will figure out that the sporting talk was code. And maybe that Jerry was right about money laundering.

But I hope that the Matty/Marco Reyes story line isn't over. And don't have Jerry's story gone in one more episode.

Re: The woman (Ellie?) who may or may not be a future love interest for Steve: 

That's not really her, right? Like, she's faking her identity. Because there is no way that that dark-haired, vaguely Asian looking teenager grew up to be the blond/reddish-haired Nordic woman claiming to be Ellie in present day.

OK, that's a joke, but, seriously. They couldn't find a teenage Australian that looked even a little bit like the grown woman? It was distracting.

• Love 4

That's not really her, right? Like, she's faking her identity. Because there is no way that that dark-haired, vaguely Asian looking teenager grew up to be the blond/reddish-haired Nordic woman claiming to be Ellie in present day.

I know! I thought I'd come here and read tons of people commenting on that so I was surprised when you were the first one to mention it. It was definitely distracting and took me out of her scenes. All I could think was that adult Ellie must've been recast and they weren't paying attention to the fact that she no longer looked anything like the teenage version, but it'd be interesting if it turned out she really was lying about who she was.

• Love 1

Oooh good I'm glad I wasn't the only one wondering about Asian Ellie suddenly becoming Anglo Ellie. Other than that, it was a nice, quiet-ish episode. I figured the age gap between Chin & Steve existed and worked out with the show canon. The flashback at the end with Steve and his dad was just meant to be much earlier. 

I must have missed an episode or two but yes, I thought Steve was considered "taken", even if his girlfriend is overseas regaining her honor or whatever? And the scenes with Jorge and the brothers were funny. I wonder how many other LOST actors are going to end up on the show now. 

• Love 1

I think Steve was 17 when his Dad died, and it's 19 years later so that makes him 36?  Somehow I think that is off by a few years.  Wasn't he listed as 35 or calculated to be 35 somewhere a few years ago?  Maybe the 5-0 years don't follow real-time.

I actually thought they did a good job with the casting with young and grown up Ellie.  In fact, at first I thought it was the same actress.  

Mirrah Foulkes (old): http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2438791/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t9

Chanel Marriott (young):  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3745498/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t18

They look fairly similar to me, there is some differences in the eyes but the overall look seems like a good match.  My issue with that scene was that young Ellie looked about 16.  The guy they had playing the dad looks about 35, he looked way too young to be Ellie's dad.  When they were doing the "My Girl" dance it looked like a dance between a married or dating couple and not a father/daughter.

What I liked best about this episode:  No Danny.  Steve driving his own truck and no Danny to whine and moan and complain.

I couldn't care less about Jerry Garcia, so the cliffhanger didn't work for me.

The one thing I found intriguing about this episode was the plot device where the red Champ--- toolbox of Wo Fat doom held evidence that was not connected with Doris, Wo Fat, or the Governor.  I think this was mentioned before, in a scene where Steve expressed frustration about how all the bits and pieces in the toolbox just don't hang together.  Now we learn that's because some of the evidence in the toolbox links to cold cases John McGarrett just couldn't let go of, and has nothing at all to do with the investigation into his wife's death.

I'm OK with that plot device, this show does a lot of harkening back to the H50 of old, so this could be used for those types of episodes.  Not every week, but once or so a season would be OK. 

Loved the phone call to Danny, nice callback to the darkness from last week.  But no Danny.   :(

I didn't mind the transition between teen Ellie and grown-up Ellie.  I still saw a resemblance, and just figured that grown-up Ellie made a personal choice and dyes her hair and dresses and conducts herself more professionally than she did as a teen.  She does seem to be implied to be a potential future love interest for Steve.  Or maybe Danny for that matter.  She's a prosecutor, so we have great potential of seeing her again in some case related scene.

I don't think Chin and Steve are too far apart in ages.  I remember an early episode where Steve said that when he was in 5th or 6th grade, he would pester his Mom to take him to the high school football games in order to see Chin (the team star) play.  I'd guess these guys are 5-7 years apart in that case.

I don't think Chin and Steve are too far apart in ages. I remember an early episode where Steve said that when he was in 5th or 6th grade, he would pester his Mom to take him to the high school football games in order to see Chin (the team star) play. I'd guess these guys are 5-7 years apart in that case.

I think Steve & Danny are supposed to be close to Alex & Scott's real age range, the mid/late 30's (Alex & Scott are both 38 in real life). In the arrest warrant shown onscreen/on the HPD computer screen (as Duke Lukela calls Five-0 to give them a head's up HPD is about to come to Five-0 HQ & arrest Steve, causing Steve to go on the run &, among other places, to Kamekona's to get a weapon) for Steve in the S1 Finale (when Wo Fat framed him for Laura Hills' murder by car bombing), if I remember correctly, Steve's birth year (which some people were somehow able to make out) was given as either 1976 or 1977.

As for Chin Ho, I'm pretty sure I read he was supposed to be the eldest member of the team (well, originally; Lou Grover may now have him beat or be fairly close to Chin's intended age, if not older), probably somewhere in his early/mid 40's. If I remember correctly, Daniel Dae Kim was born in August, 1968; that would make him 46 in real life right now.

I think everybody knows Kono's meant to be the "baby"/youngest of the team, as it were. I'd put her age as from her late 20's to somewhere earlier in her 30's than Steve & Danny are meant to be. I remember someone saying that, in the early S2 scene in which Kono enters her house & finds Captain Fryer standing there (when he goes to, as we later learn, recruit her for the undercover op meant to take down Frank Delano & his band of dirty cops) looking at a book that belongs to Kono, the book he was looking at was supposed to be 1 of her (presumably High School) yearbooks & it was supposed to be from 2000. So if she was still in High School in 2000, she's not all that old. Grace Park, on the other hand, turned 40 in March, 2014.

In real life, Daniel & Grace (whose characters are the [originally] eldest & youngest members on the team) are the 2 eldest actors of the original 4 main leads, with current ages in their 40's, with Scott & Alex (in that order, as their birthdays are a day apart & Scott's is earliest) tied as the youngest actors of the original 4 main leads, each with a current age of 38.