Type keyword(s) to search

Beth: You're going to miss me when I'm gone...

• Start Topic

My Xmas wish is for a brief cease fire against the Beth/EK fans.  Bag on the character and the actress all you want, every day for the rest of time, but the incessant derision and ridicule of people who hold differing views about Beth is just a little bit Grinchy, in my most humble and sincere opinion.  I'm sure we've all had thoughts and feelings about a TV character or even "teen crush" that would not stand the test of time - no need to be mean-spirited about the beholders.

[/rant]  This season brings out my truthiness and Grinchiness like nothing else, I guess.  ;~0

• Love 3

But I gotta keep my game tight like a virgin on her wedding night

Checkin' the facebook, doing the kegel, keepin that vagina, nice and tight.

Well, you've led us down another blind alley.

(see what I did there? :-D)

Sorry, walnutqueen, but it's like potato chips--I can't stop with just one!

Today a client gave me a box of really nice chocolates. So I come home and as I'm getting out of the vehicle, I get my foot caught in my dangling sweater sleeve and trip and crash. Guess what I fell on? If you said the box of chocolates? you guessed right.

So if PunkyMouse and TImetoRead will release their songs Petroleum Jelly and Paper Mache on a compilation album, I'll join in and write a song: I Sit On Your Candy.

• Love 5

Well, you've led us down another blind alley.

(see what I did there? :-D)

Sorry, walnutqueen, but it's like potato chips--I can't stop with just one!

"You're a mean one", kikismom (wish I knew how to indicate that's a melodic line from a Christmas cartoon I never watched, and you KNOW that's one of my highest forms of praise!); but you know damned well I'm going to keep trying to give the poor Beth outcasts the benefit of doubt, and throw on my caped crusader outfit for any windmill that's just standing there waiting to be tilted.  :-)

I would hate to have the silly lyrics of some of the music I listened to in my yout' thrown in my face as an excuse to ridicule ME.  Short memories are the cornerstones of intolerance, it would seem, for every generation.  Damned kids these days!   :-)

• Love 1

"You're a mean one", kikismom (wish I knew how to indicate that's a melodic line from a Christmas cartoon I never watched, and you KNOW that's one of my highest forms of praise!); but you know damned well I'm going to keep trying to give the poor Beth outcasts the benefit of doubt, and throw on my caped crusader outfit for any windmill that's just standing there waiting to be tilted. :-)

I would hate to have the silly lyrics of some of the music I listened to in my yout' thrown in my face as an excuse to ridicule ME. Short memories are the cornerstones of intolerance, it would seem, for every generation. Damned kids these days! :-)

I was thinking of the lyrics of my youth today. When my mp3 player played Raspberry beret by Prince. To read those lyrics unaccompanied by the music and vocal phrasing. Would lead one to wonder how juvenile is this guy. But when sung and accompanied by great music the song takes on a small glory that I still love. Edited by Watcher0363
  • Love 1

I had to pop my head out of the Carl's Hat thread because youze guys are killing me! I've been busting a gut laughing because of all the snark. 

That said, I rise in defense of EK's songs that have been discussed here.

This Is War. It's about an argument she is having with a boyfriend about who is the better songwriter. I found the premise whimsical, although the song itself doesn't have much of a melody.

Blue Toothbrush. When I first read the lyrics I thought it was post-breakup whining. But the video depicts a healthy relationship throughout, and the later lyrics are about how she has to leave town for several months, and she is wondering if he will still be there for her when she gets back. 

Rockstar. Is this satire or not? Frankly, I can't tell. Personally I think satire and tongue-in-cheek humor are best when well-disguised. But whether that was EK's intention or not, I think the main issue is that she doesn't take herself too seriously and likes to have fun with her music.

• Love 2

I want to hear that song. It has to be way cooler than Blue Toothbrush. (Oh, and the toothbrush is blue because she's sad. Symbolism, y'all.

I can't remember the whole song but the beginning goes:

Petroleum Jelly

In a big jar

When I need you

I know where you are

In the winter

You're on my lips

I love you more

Than potato chips

Chorus:

Put it on

Put it on

Petroleum Jelly

Everyone

Put it on

Put it on

Petroleum Jelly

Everyone

Edited by PunkyMouse
  • Love 10

Okay, I'm gonna take the walnutqueen challenge and try to find something nice to post. And fortunately, for Christmas this year, I got something to help. A Ouija Board! Because if there's thing I know about metaphysics, it's that objects made by Parker Brothers have the power to summon spirits.  So, I gave it a shot, and I ended speaking to three ghosts. One of them, who only identified himself as The Ghost of Music Past (although I believe he used to be some sort of King,) had the following message to convey to Emily Kinney:

I have the blues, Miss Beth, without you
I thought it blew, Miss Beth, how you got screwed

Saw no brains but saw red after Dawn shot you dead
Walking Dead's lame, dear, if you can't sing to me
And with those new characters failing
That's why my spoons just will not stop mailing
You're winning so far with your great song "Rockstar"
And also with "Blue, Blue, Blue Toothbrush"
You've been winning so far with your awesome song "Rockstar"
But "Walking Dead?" Blue, blue, blue big mess.

• Love 1

I can't remember the whole song but the beginning goes:

Petroleum Jelly

In a big jar

When I need you

I know where you are

In the winter

You're on my lips

I love you more

Than potato chips

Chorus:

Put it on

Put it on

Petroleum Jelly

Everyone

Put it on

Put it on

Petroleum Jelly

Everyone

Okay - who else besides me wants to just lay down in this one and roll around for a while?

• Love 7

When my mp3 player played Raspberry beret by Prince.

Ever read the lyrics of "Little Red Corvette?" In those days song writers had to be very clever in their wording to get such naughtiness past the censors. And yeah, that's one I blast in my car.

• Love 3

Ever read the lyrics of "Little Red Corvette?" In those days song writers had to be very clever in their wording to get such naughtiness past the censors. And yeah, that's one I blast in my car.

Yes I have and 1999 is one of my favorite albums. As for being clever to get naughtiness by the censors. Prince could be both clever and in your face with the censors. After all Darling Niki brought Tipper Gore to the forefront of bad lyrics tainting the youth. Emily you were born to late the Revolution is calling you.
  • Love 4

I have a particular problem with this:

"I wrote [Rockstar] kind of more in response to people saying to me like, 'You gotta stay away from those musicians! You have to stay away from actors! You've gotta stay away from these like, creative-type people,' and I feel like those are some of my best friends, and why would you not want to date someone that is like that?" Emily said.

So, it sounds like she wasn't being satirical with that song/video. Which means that a 29 year old woman sees NOTHING WRONG OR CONCERNING about a young woman attaching herself to some guy and revolving her life around his.

There are many valid rebuttals to the advice she was given but ironically IMO, her Rockstar is not one of them. Because an artist whose sole focus is on his goals and objectives and only bothers to contact you for sexy Face-time (in order to keep you around to manage his instagram account and haul his gear on his shows for free) is a total keeper.

There is certainly a sense of stubborn self-delusion in her lyrics which is actually really concerning to me. It's like, anyone reading the lyrics can see the writing on the wall with her relationship, but she's still in there, busting her ass to make it work while all the outsiders looking in on her situation are all "..oh, hon...."

• Love 3

In defense of Emily she is channeling her inner Penny Lane, like most young blondes she has an Almost Famous fantasy. My cellphone camera light is on and Elton John's Tiny Dancer is playing.

But when you're almost 30 years old...I think the bus left without you.

• Love 4

“I have one song called ‘Last Chance’ on my next album. And I realized while I was writing that song, I was like, ‘Why am I writing this weird song?’ and I realized a lot of it was just because of the thoughts that have gone through my head as Beth. I was like, ‘Why do I keep feeling like I need to say this?’ … You’ll see, but it’s kind of about the end of the world.”

This article was linked on that page. When I read it, I was like, is this really a grown woman speaking?

Articulate, ain't she?

• Love 3

It's very important to eat your Greenes.

Well played,  Sir!   And the idea of a bizarro Beth twin raised by a Beastmaster?   That is poetry.

Okay - who else besides me wants to just lay down in this one and roll around for a while?

"My boots, they're all full of Vaseline.   I just need to collect your laundry lint now".   Or somesuch. 

Man, that petroleum jelly song is dope.   I wrote a little ditty in honor of  Beth, but it's not that good:

Peroxide is seepin' inta mah brain-Yeah yeah yeah yeah-

Mah brain is tinglin' an it's drivin' me insane-Yeah yeah yeah yeah-

Peroxide, ohh!  Peroxide, yeah

Peroxide, makin' me feel kinda funny-Peroxide, it's a makin' me some money

Peroxide,  it's a foolin' my honey-Yeah, yeah yeah, yeah

Mah brain feels funny but it's a makin' my money, uh uh. uh huh.

Really just a tribute to Beth and her extry clean and bright blonde hair.   And R droppin'

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 3

And the author of the article said this - "Oh, and this totally gives us another reason to loathe Carl."

Wrong!  I like the kid even more.

It's official, I love Chandler!

Here's what cracks me up. On Game of Thrones they have different sets of characters in different locations, many actors didn't even meet each other until photoshoots put them together. Even so, they'd say, "yeah, I met so-and-so and they were so nice and would love to have my character interact with theirs" or "After filming wraps I watch the show like a fan and I wish I could work (more) with so-and-so because they're so good!" There wasn't even that with Chandler. No, "I wish Beth and Carl could have gotten to know each other better," or "I wish I could have had more scenes with Emily." Just, "Eh." Hahaha! I guess he's not impressed with EK either.

• Love 5

They were all sitting around the campfire mourning the dear lost of Beth. When Maggie stands and gives the 3 finger Mockingjay salute. She said Beth once read a book where the sister of a great fighter was killed by a power hungry female leader who thought she was doing the greater good. Maggie started to sing:
It must have been cold there, in my shadow
To never have sunlight on your face
You've been content to let me shine, you always walked a step behind
I was the one with all the glory, while you were the one with all the strength

Only a face without a name, and I never once heard you complain
Did you ever know that you're my hero, and everything I'd like to be
I could fly higher than an eagle, 'cause you are the wind beneath my wings
It might have appeared to go unnoticed, but I've got it all here in my heart

Daryl stands and gives the same salute and begins to sing:

I saw her singing' there by the paino bench
I knew she must've been about seventeen
But the beat was going' strong

Singing my favorite song
An' I could tell it wouldn't be long
Till she was with me, yeah me
An' I could tell it wouldn't be long
Till she was with me, yeah me, singing'

I love redneck Daryl
So put another arrow in my jukebox, baby
I love redneck Daryl
So put another arrow in my jukebox, baby

Carol stands with no salute and asks, “is that why you reject me? Tell me, what did she say to you in the funeral home. Did she tell you to............”
Ah, push it
Ah, push it

Oh, baby, baby
Baby, baby
Oh, baby, baby
Baby, baby

Get up on this!
Ow! Baby!
Daryl is in the Beth!!!

Now wait a minute, y'all
This sex ain't for Carol
Only the sexy people

Daryl is in the Beth, and we're rockin' this casket.
Want you to push it, redneck. Now push it

Ah, push it, push it good
Ah, push it, push it real good
Ah, push it, push it good
Ah, push it, p-push it real good

Carol sits down and sobs a little. They all begin to sing:

This Beth is your Beth This Beth is my Beth
From Herschel's farm to the highway junkyard;
From the prison cells to the Grady wards.
This Beth was made for you and Me.

As I was walking that endless circle,
I saw before me that doe eyed beauty:
I saw behind me that blonde goddess:
This Beth was made for you and me.

• Love 6

And I wouldn't miss Carl.  At all.  Not that I give a shit what Chandler Riggs has to say about anything.  I despised Carl at first; now I barely tolerate him.  I always liked Beth.  So I will miss her.  Maybe not as much as some other characters, but most certainly more than others.

• Love 1

And I wouldn't miss Carl.  At all.  Not that I give a shit what Chandler Riggs has to say about anything.  I despised Carl at first; now I barely tolerate him.  I always liked Beth.  So I will miss her.  Maybe not as much as some other characters, but most certainly more than others.

Considering that the whole of the Walking Dead is probably Carl's story (I'd wager Rick might not make it to the end), he's going to be around for a loooooong time.

Carl: 1

Beth: 0

Do you realize the entire franchise---the show, the merchandising, the comic, everything--could go right down the shitter if Chandler Riggs got, say, involved with Lindsey Lohan set-up by a diabolical plot to end his career by someonewalnutqueen?

• Love 3

I always liked Beth.

I liked her too, except for the singing. I could overlook her less than professional acting skills and even kind of enjoyed "Still". It's only after reading all the horrid stuff you guys have posted, like her moronic songs and jejune opinions that I started to really dislike her.

• Love 3

That's why I don't pay attention to non-show stuff; not social media, actors' interviews, or anything except the Walking Dead story I see on my TV.  It's a much cleaner experience for me that way.   :-)

I think you are so right. I was watching the New years marathon to see if I my opinions on Beth would change. They did not change. Starting in season three Beth was in a lot scenes. She had Carl crushing on her, Rick cheek kiss. She interacted with every major character during that season to bring something important to the forefront. She was important, I could see that Emily thought she was poised for a much greater story arc on the show. I surly thought she was, not knowing much of the comics, I really don't know who is a comic book canon character or a good show character.

• Love 1

That's why I don't pay attention to non-show stuff; not social media, actors' interviews, or anything except the Walking Dead story I see on my TV.

I'm exactly the same way. I never watch interviews with any actors (with the exception of one) I admire for fear they'll come off as jackasses and make me like their work less. I've not watched anyone on TWD outside of the show itself.

• Love 1

My sister pointed out something that made me think.  We were watching a movie set in the early 1800's and the family was singing around a piano, and I said "I guess that's what people did without TV."  And she told me that's why Beth's singing never bothered her, because before there were other kinds of entertainment people used to sing songs together for fun.  (She studied Music Education, so that's more in her line of thinking than mine.) She was right; even in the 21st century my family has sung around a piano for those reasons, and if the world was coming to an end the two of us might crank out a tune now and then. And then I thought I should re-examine my dislike of Beth's singing with that in mind.  

So, in "Parting Glass" Herschel asked Beth to sing, and Maggie joined in, and that kind of felt like "OK,  then this is for entertainment, to pass the time, to calm themselves, to remind them of things that can't be lost when so much has slipped away".  And if it was played that way, like a couple sisters singing for those reasons, spontaneous and heartfelt, then I think it would have resonated with me.  Instead it always felt like Emily Kinney was giving a performance, showing off how "wonderful" her voice was.  (Also debatable to me, but I know mileage can vary there.)  It never felt in character or organic to me.  And that only got more pronounced each time she sang (and, I'm sure, each time she was lavished with praise by fans).  

Conclusion: yes, people would be singing when they could, if they were in a place where noise wasn't an issue, in order to pass the time, to entertain themselves, to comfort themselves.  It was Emily Kinney's specific singing and the way it felt shoehorned into the script just to show off her "talent" that bugged me.

Edited by BrokenRemote
  • Love 6

It was shoehorned in.  But that was because the writers/directors were trying to find something for Beth to do besides babysit.  Since EK's acting skills were... latent (at least for me), that probably the best they could do.  And I agree - the singing in the prison field was fine and I got it.  The other times just didn't feel organic.

• Love 6

The last straw for me was when she is kidnapped, bashed on the head, held captive and forced to participate in horrible things like dumping dying people into an elevator full of flesh-eating dead, slapped around, harassed, and molested, and then when told she better come across with something useful for her captors, she says "I can SING! "

• Love 7

The last straw for me was when she is kidnapped, bashed on the head, held captive and forced to participate in horrible things like dumping dying people into an elevator full of flesh-eating dead, slapped around, harassed, and molested, and then when told she better come across with something useful for her captors, she says "I can SING! "

She said that fairly early in her stay, before she'd been slapped or nearly raped. At that point she still seemed to see it as a place that may have been trying to help people, and she still thought Dr. Edwards (the one who asked her, IIRC) was trying to help people and cared about her. Hospitals often (mainly on TV of course) have moments where a doctor or a nurse sings to the patients, so I could buy her mentioning it in that context. But then I never thought the show did all that terrible a job handling her singing and I never really thought she sang all that much (three times in three and a half seasons).

Edited by Pete Martell
  • Love 2

When Emily started "singing" Maddie woke up, howled as if in pain, and ran out of the room.

Pretty much my reaction. I'm sorry you didn't have a "Mute" button as I do, Maddie.

I never really thought she sang all that much (three times in three and a half seasons).

Three times too many, for my taste.

Edited by AngelaHunter
  • Love 3
I could see that Emily thought she was poised for a much greater story arc on the show.

Honestly I think she probably was.  She was given four - count em, FOUR - episodes in which she was the lead.   She just didn't have the acting chops and the imagination to make her character interesting.

I used to watch Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the actor who played Spike once gave an interview that Spike was originally written as a "baddie du jour" character - with just a couple of episodes before he died.  But he was a hungry actor and he wanted to give them a reason to either keep him or at least do work to credit his portfolio.  So he decided to play Spike as over the top, to the hilt, and he also played him as somewhat, reluctantly attracted to the Slayer - hinting at chemistry.  He was still around (a top billed character) by the series finale and then went on to finish out the spinoff, Angel, also as with top billing.

My point here is that it seems to me that the showrunners, writers, and actors all gave Emily plenty of latitude to take this character and show her importance but she just couldn't.  She wasn't capable.  It is what it is.

• Love 13

Beth's singing didn't bother me until the funeral home (Mr. Potato Head likes to punch me).  She probably summoned that horde with her caterwauling.  It was just too weird - Beth singing and playing the piano, while Daryl laid in the coffin.

• Love 6
Beth's singing didn't bother me until the funeral home (Mr. Potato Head likes to punch me).  She probably summoned that horde with her caterwauling.  It was just too weird - Beth singing and playing the piano, while Daryl laid in the coffin.

I agree with this. The other three times I was totally fine with. And I actually preferred her singing to her acting. But yea, that scene was super awkward and I actually blacked it out, apparently. Because much earlier we were discussing how many times she sang and I had totally forgotten that one. 

• Love 3