Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Manhunt

So, erm, not really a stalker. Again.

Also, thanks for that plinky-plonky minor key cover of Don't You Forget About Me. I really needed that in my life. 

Too much pointless violence and horror movie tropes. Forget, Stabler's Internal Affairs issues, how many perps is Dylan McDermott going to shoot dead? Did the "stalker" have to assault a surgeon instead of just going to a storage closet or something to get a pair of scrubs? Is Maggie Q never going to tie her hair up? Is the entire cast of Devious Maids going to show up this season?

• Love 5
horror movie tropes

Ah, yes.  The old, stare-at-the-empty-closet-forever--so that-the-killer-can-sneak-up-behind-you trick, followed (at length), by the old, turn-your-back-on-the-killer-without-making-sure-he's-dead trick.  And here I thought the telegraph had long since been replaced.

• Love 4

Why is it, that when I go to a hospital, it takes an hour and a half of wandering around aimlessly before finding my destination, but tv killers,  seem to have a sixth sense and know EXACTLY where to go, even before the police do.

I can't understand why Dylan McDermott wouldn't have any access at all to his son, if he'd done something so terrible as to lose his parental rights, he wouldn't be recently promoted into a high profile law enforcement job.  He's also just a lousy stalker.  

And I'll probably get roasted for this, but Maggie Q is soooo thin that all I can think about when she's on screen is that she needs to eat some protein, and there's no way she could ever be the tough chick that she plays, because she's going to blow away in the wind.

• Love 2

Oh Lord this show. There are moments and story lines (the guy being stalked in the first episode, the scene in this episode where stalker guy shows up at Maggie Q's office and tells her realises how inappropriate his behaviour is and he wants help, but it's clearly just part of his stalker m.o to try and ingratiate himself with her) where I think this could actually be a genuinely interesting show about stalkers and how they operate and their victims and how they're affected by this behaviour. But those moments are so rare and mostly this show just feels like an excuse for Kevin Williamson to trot out one horror movie cliche after another. When DM killed the guy and then turned his back on the body I rolled my eyes so hard I'm sure I did some damage.There's a part of me that keeps saying that it's early days and there's a possibility the show will get better, but there's a part of me that thinks save your eyes. It's pretty obvious the tone they're going for is horror movie shocks and thrills and that the subject of stalking is just a timely hook to hang that on and nothing about that is particularly interesting especially when you can predict what's going to happen thanks to all the obvious cliches.  Maybe if this show does well enough, though, someone else will take a stab at the topic and do a show about stalking I might actually find interesting. I hope so.

And really is the only reason ER's character seems to be against DM seeing his son is that she's mad at him for being kind of a twat? Because if there was a legitimate reason, like he was dangerous, shouldn't she being doing more than telling him to stay away? That whole story line is so ugh because they have him behaving like a stalker (on a show about stalkers), but her motives for keeping him from their son seem so weak. And then threatening his job so that right now she seems like the jerk.

It's obvious they're going for he's a misunderstood arsehole with DM's character, but I can't locate the energy to care about the angst with his ex. I did laugh when the other cop said  something like 'why do New York cops always have to remind you they're from New York' though and when DM's character asked him about possible forensic evidence and he replied 'I would have led with that if there was'. But I agree with who ever said none of this story lines seem to have all that much to do with stalking except tangentially.

Edited by Swansong
  • Love 1

And really is the only reason ER's character seems to be against DM seeing his son is that she's mad at him for being kind of a twat?

I don't get this storyline either. So her annoying and frankly weird ex (this episode I thought he was on the autism spectrum because he's waaay weird otherwise) is stalking her. She's with DA's office, for crying out loud, and her new husband/boyfriend is a cop as well. Why is she still threatening him with his mystery past transgressions, if she could a) rat him out to his boss; b) rat him out to her husband/BF: c) get a restraining order? That horrible thing she is threatening to expose doesn't seem very horrible to me, actually, given all her "whatever" behavior.

And I'll probably get roasted for this, but Maggie Q is soooo thin that all I can think about when she's on screen is that she needs to eat some protein, and there's no way she could ever be the tough chick that she plays, because she's going to blow away in the wind.

I think she always looks that way. She was pretty convincing in Nikita, despite her fragile constitution.

Edited by CooperTV

Maggie Q is vegan and does martial arts, yoga, etc. She did almost all of her own stunts on Nikita (there were some the studio/network wouldn't let her do for safety reasons), so I have no problem believing she is kick@ss. I do wish they would add that Maggie's character is vegan or something- since they felt it was necessary to point out the low-cut blouse they dressed her in in the first episode. I think it might have been said before, but Maggie had them play it so that Nikita was vegan. It's little details that make a character, and that's not something we're getting from this show. Right now it just feels like a season 1 Criminal Minds rip-off.

CooperTV how do we know ER's boyfriend is a cop? I admit I must not have recognized him if they showed him before, lol.

They keep hinting that DM's character has done something awful to ER's, like in this episode with her saying he's seven years too late. How? Is he a serial cheater and she left him before the kid was born? Was he too caught being a cop/sleeping with his old chief's wife to give his son attention? I need more backstory because right now, DM is super freaking creepy (which I'm fine with, can't stand his smug character) and I half expect his stalking behavior to change now that he knows about the boyfriend. With ER's character I can see how she might be trying to act strong/prove that she's not afraid; she keeps threatening his job, but she could also be worried about her own and her reputation. Unfortunately, that's not how it's coming across at all.

• Love 2

Maggie Q is vegan and does martial arts, yoga, etc. She did almost all of her own stunts on Nikita (there were some the studio/network wouldn't let her do for safety reasons), so I have no problem believing she is kick@ss. I do wish they would add that Maggie's character is vegan or something- since they felt it was necessary to point out the low-cut blouse they dressed her in in the first episode. I think it might have been said before, but Maggie had them play it so that Nikita was vegan. It's little details that make a character, and that's not something we're getting from this show. Right now it just feels like a season 1 Criminal Minds rip-off.

Sorry, but I can believe that she's been trained a little in what Keanu Reeves calls 'movie martial arts' but I just don't buy her having the physicality here or in Nikita, to actually defend herself well.  A minor point in this show, but in general, it does bug me.  I really hate the 'hot, sexy chick in tight clothing and heels that kicks ass in karate' cliche.  I also find conflicting reports online where she talks about having loads of martial arts experience and none at all, but this clip was interesting.

I do completely agree with you about the Criminal Minds rip-off.  The only real stalker here is Dylan McDermott.  

Yeah, the Rohm-bot's new boyfriend was that same detective that was helping them at first; he was the one who confronting Jack about how he got the job over the other 300 applicants, plus made that New York remark.  Only reason I remember though is that he was played by Warren Kole, who really deserves better then this.  He was also in The Following, so I wonder if this was a Kevin Williamson thing.

I'm not even going to bother and try to figure out this Jack/Rohm-bot stuff.  Jack is continuing to be a creepy stalker (and a sucky one, at that), but I would think if he did something truly bad enough for her to get full custody, she should have some kind of power to prevent him from stalking them, that doesn't include bribery.  So, it makes me think whatever he is "guilty" of, is going to end up being a whole lot of nothing, which makes this entire thing pointless.

Case of the week was once again ridiculous.  Michael Irby's character was basically a horror movie serial killer, who was uncatchable and invincible, until the very end, when the "hero" saves the day.  I don't think they are even trying with these things.

I just don't buy her having the physicality here or in Nikita, to actually defend herself well.

Well, for what it's worth, her character on Nikita usually got to fight with her legs/stuff at hand, and always used element of surprise to press an advantage. It definitely looked more convincing than situations when female actors with noodle arms try to show how they have superior upper body strength over men by punching them and succeeding.

• Love 1

I watched this just last night and I can't remember anything about the plot.  I recall the remark made about NYC cops.  I recall the idiotic, subtle, nose-pressed-against-the-glass peeping Tom behaviour at the end.  I don't recall what this weeks crime was or who was the victim or the victee.  And I've been wracking my brain to recall.  I hope the show was really unmemorable.  Otherwise it may be early-onset Alzheimer's.

• Love 1

It's your brain protecting you against the stupidity of this show.

I wasn't paying attention to this before you guys pointed it out, but I'm guessing that her shirt doesn't get buttoned up.

So this week, we have a prosecutor that thinks that building up a circumstantial case against a suspect is a good thing, her idiot ex-husband who thinks it's a good idea to turn his back on a downed suspect and who also spends his time hitting on his boss. I'm guessing that sexual harassment laws are rather lenient in California? There's also the idiot suspect who decides to confront the victim on the day of her wedding as opposed to any other day because..... they needed a red herring? Finally a case that wasn't a stalking case. If you can't think up stalking cases then don't revolve your show around that crime.

While we're at it, don't try to write about LGBT issues, show. You're not equipped to handle something that serious.

I'm also trying to find ways that Dylan could have been any less obvious with his stalking this week. He should have yelled out hey slugger and cupped his hand over his mouth in a comical way.

This show is so delightfully stupid that I'm going to stick with it to the horrid end.

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 1

Thanks guys, I didn't catch that the cop taking issues with DM was the same guy. 

Oscirus, Right? It already wasn't a stalking case. They filled the hour with: is it a stalker, a new stalker, one of his old collars? etc crap, and then to try to throw in the girlfriend saying she knows he wanted different for his daughter was ridiculous. A stupid hug at the end and a joke about the wedding is dumb, just proving how much they don't write for the female characters. It was all about DM and the dad this episode, and it really made the episode hard to care about. I actually didn't. I spent most of the episode (correctly) guessing what was about to happen and wishing for Maggie to wear the trench coat again.

While we're at it, don't try to write about LGBT issues, show. You're not equipped to handle something that serious.

When we started with the wedding I thought that would be the focus of the episode but they couldn't get them offscreen fast enough. One girl was shot and I think the other had less than 10 lines. Great job!

So this week, we have a prosecutor that thinks that building up a circumstantial case against a suspect is a good thing

Not trying to defend the writing or anything, but I thought they were trying to hold him in custody little longer, that's why there was this pretext of building case on circumstantial evidence.

Not to mention Elizabeth Rohm is back to her old L&O sucky acting.  UGH!

Agree. And when she called the boyfriend to check who was outside I though she had an older son. I did not recognize the guy as the cop either.

An yes to all that you guys pointed out. I really like the idea of the show. I wasn't stalked but when I was a teenager there was this peeping tom that freaked me out. Everybody knew who he was and what he was doing, but because he was young they dismissed as a "young teen curiosity". He also followed me around when I had t go to the grocery store.

I am really disappointed that this is not developing into something better

Edited by alexvillage
  • Love 1

Not trying to defend the writing or anything, but I thought they were trying to hold him in custody little longer, that's why there was this pretext of building case on circumstantial evidence.

I think that is giving the DA way too much credit.  She wanted to make her case whether it was the right guy or not.  Sadly, it is often way too typical.  The job of the DA is to prosecute and get convictions....not get justice.  She said she could make the circumstantial case, but then in the interview room when it is becoming all TOO clear it isn't him, she is still going on trying to wish away everything he is saying and stating why he is still good for the crime.  

I'm in the minority, but I am liking the show.  However, I believe that Dylan McDermott has some kind of magic pixie dust when it comes to me...since I seem to watch any and everything he is in and stay for the ride.  I watched Hostages for gosh darn sake and that was a shit show from moment one.  

The bitchy ex-wife is a big problem for me. Aside from the fact that I don't like the actress, this whole plot has holes you can drive a truck through. First, (tangentially but it bugs me) you can't transfer from NYPD to LAPD.  Apples and oranges.  You would have to apply for one and resign from the other. /peeve

Now.  If she "knows something" serious enough to potentially cost him his job, and clearly she does since she is using it to blackmail him into staying away from her and their son, it's kind of an empty threat because, as an officer of the court, she could be in as much trouble as him when it comes out (whatever "it" is) that she knew, and withheld it. 

If he hasn't done anything that could cost him custody, there's no need to creep around in the bushes.  Take her to court and get visitation rights. If he has done something serious enough to cost him custody, how does he still have that job?

I'm watching the show, but I haven't seen an actual stalker case yet (well, except the college roommate and that disappeared quickly). The writers need to turn off the horror movies and switch on Discovery ID.  Watch a few episodes of Stalked: Someone's Watching. 

• Love 3

Glad to see Maggie Q's unprofessional cleaveage was under control a little more this episode.

Elizabeth Rohm is an awful actress, which leads me to believe her bitchy attitude is her normal personality.

I have no problem believing Maggie can kick in doors and be a badass. For years she trained with Jackie Chan and the people who train him. She did some great stunts in Nikita.

• Love 1

Start right off with a Wedding scene. Bride Cara Lambert shot by a sniper. Should have figured they were after the close members of her father Jimmy Lambert's family. I knew Paul Watson ex would be a dead end, even if he did stalk her alittle. I for an instant thought it was maybe because Cara was marrying a female, Terri Holts. But it was not touched on, really. Which is odd with same sex marriage debate in the news. But fine that it was basically not an issue.

Jimmy's partner Frank Santos was one of my stalker picks. But near end he was a almost victim.

Jack was sloppy when he took down the UnSub, He didn't check to see that he was out of it. Or cuff him. Then is grabbed by Silas Martin.(From The Unit. He is like the actor who played Colby on Numb3rs, they play 99 percent bad guys now. Add Mack from The Unit to that list.)His tape over window didn't work to well. He tried to get Jimmy to admit he was framed. Will more come of that case, probably not. Jimmy told Jack, "Nice job new guy!"

Seems like a lot of people talk about how Jack is being the new guy and not many like him.

Wondering what will come of ex Amanda Taylor's 2 week deadline? Beth now knows something is up. Jack had to chase down Amanda at the Precinct to talk.

Dectective Trent Wilker who is in on case and doesn't seem to like Jack. He doesn't like how former NY cops always say" that in NY", etc. At end we know why, he is Amanda's lover. Jack's peeking at house got Trent to come out and look for him.

We do need more Stalking philosophy.

Actually as soon as they connected the shooter to the Cop/Dad it clicked with me that they were ripping off the Christopher Dorner story. A couple of years ago, here in So. CA. a fired cop shot and killed a Police Officers Daughter and her boyfriend  in Irvine which I refer to as Stepford it's so squeaky clean and pristine. It was a real shocker because that type of crime is so rare and, at first, it appeared random.

Seeing the suspect on the cell phone ranting is what reminded because Dorner had issued some type of manifesto that he was seeking revenge on all the cops that had wronged him on the job. It was huge news for a while, big manhunt, multiple sightings, lots of hysteria before he was killed.

So, the premise was "ripped from the headlines" as L & O liked to say. Which is OK, I never minded it on L & O. I suppose you could also loosely tie it to "Stalking", alhtough not in the sense I usually think of Stalking. However, as with Dorner, if this guy was intent on wiping out a bunch of people he would presumably stalk them. OK, it's a strech, but I really, really wanted to like this show. I love the premise of a show about actual stallking cases because it is just so creepy.

The one main problem I have with this show, other than the crappy writing and even worse acting, is that they "solve" it too soon. So we find out less than 1/2 way through, with very little effort no less, exactly who the shooter was. End of mystery for me, end of interest.  I finally finished the episode last night, but I started watching it on Thursday night. In between I have watched the latest episodes of How to Get Away With Murder, Dateline, Grace Point (not exactly riveting itself) and Resurrection. Only then did I drag myself back to finish this one off.

They did that with the previous episode too, we knew the villain too sooon.

Count me in on those stating that the whole ex wife plotline is beyond ludicrous. I didn't find it so much creepy that he was standing outside lookiing in her window, it was the living room after all. I just found it incredibly stupid. Guys a cop and he can't figure out the pitfalls of that behavior. Yeah, right.

I also agree that if she really had anything on him. as an officer of the court she is duty bound to report it and if, as it sounds, whatever it was happened years ago, she is going to have some explaining to do herself. 

Also based on her comments about him not wanting to be a father before, makes it sound like he just dumped her after the kid was born. While not the most admirable of behaviors, it is hardly the stuff that you can really threaten someone's job with.  They can loose that whole storyline, IMO .

Edited by chlban

I'm willing to cut them some slack on the cases not being stalkers because they've done a pretty good job at giving us something besides Lifetime movie "woman in peril" storylines.

I'm just speculating, but probably most stalking incidents are men terrorizing women, so kudos for not having that week after week.

I was seriously shocked the bride's cop daddy wasn't revealed to have a shady past.  He smelled dirty to me.  : )