Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E01: Entry Wounds (US)

TONIGHT:
On Masterpiece:  Inspector Lewis, Series VII: Entry Wounds

Working with a new partner, the recently promoted Inspector Hathaway takes on a complicated case that bridges the worlds of blood sports, animal rights and neurosurgery; Lewis is struggling with life as a retiree when Jean Innocent seeks his help.

Credits: Kevin Whately (Actor), Laurence Fox (Actor), Clare Holman (Actor), Rebecca Front (Actor), Angela Griffin (Actor), Paul Blackwell (Actor), Nicholas Renton (Director), Chris Burt (Producer), Helen Jenkins (Teleplay), Alan Cumming (Host)

I'm just a bit giddy right now!

It was great seeing our boys together again - even canoeing off together at the end.

A lot of the story elements we've seen before but I still enjoyed it - more for seeing the gang together than anything else.

Man, what a depressing end for that woman - her husband killed himself and the woman helping her is going to jail.

It was so good to have this series back! Lots of red herrings and twists in this episode.

The dynamic between the leads is so enjoyable and I thought the end scene was perfect.

I'd like to also say that I wish I had some still photos of the beautiful woods. The cameramen did an excellent job in this episode.

I was so looking forward to the show and then our almost 18 year old cat died a sudden and grossly dramatic death.  A cat is not the same as my children, but when I could focus on the show I kept drawing parallels between the show and what had just happened.  Kitty had been ill for a couple of years and just the day before I had made arrangements for her to be put down, but she seemed to rally and I put it off.  We'd gone to extraordinary lengths to keep her going, and now I wonder if we had done her any favors.  I don't think so, and now Kitty is gone and I'm feeling guilty and selfish for putting it off for so long.  The idea of having to make similar decisions about one of my children is terrifying.

I'll have to watch the show again to pick up on what I missed, but it seems that the parents had reached the point where they were wondering if they were doing the right thing by keeping their son alive.  They were looking into euthanasia via the Netherlands.  Were they planning to move there and establish residency?  I can't imagine that anyone could just show up there and get euthanasia performed like it was a weekend jaunt that just happened to end with their son dying.  Without the son being able to speak for himself, would his school report on the quality of life vs life at all costs be enough to let them proceed?  Were they thinking of ending their son's life themselves in the UK?  I missed all of that if it was discussed on the show because I was distracted.

To find out that Nurse Lorraine did the murders was a surprise to me, I was expecting to find that the blue haired girl had done it because I thought that the son was trying to impress her when he got injured. 

Instead, I think that Lorraine was insane.  She'd enjoyed sparring with the doctor, thinking she was the power behind the throne, and relished her nickname as the 'backseat surgeon'.  She might have been in love with the doctor since she didn't mind him calling her his 'work wife'.  But then he got married and didn't pay attention to her anymore.  So she grabbed onto the what happened to the boy and inserted herself into the situation.  She encouraged the guy who was once engaged to the doctors new wife to file a complaint about the surgery even though she wasn't there.  She didn't know if the doctor was drunk or not, I don't think she cared anymore; she just wanted to punish the doctor for not paying attention to her anymore.  She accused the doctor of playing God, but she herself played God by committing murders and didn't see that she was doing the same thing.

Nurse Lorraine killed the guy she set up for the doctor's murder (again, I missed the part about how she managed to do that), because she was sure that he'd soon figure out what had really happened.  When the boy's father killed himself she orchestrated a cover up to try to make that death look like murder.  Did she want the mother to get the insurance payout, or did she want the boy to continue to exist so she could point to him and convince herself that she was doing the right thing with her campaign of vengeance?

I guess that the mother will spend the rest of her life caring for her son (isn't he brain-dead?) until he suffers the fate that many patients in that condition succumb to.  Pneumonia is a common cause of death for patients like that, I've heard.  Something about their bodies not moving around and having pockets of fluid build up in the lungs.  I guess the mother will continue to get state sponsored visiting nurses in the meantime.  This is truly not a happy ending for the boy or his mother, but I don't know what the answer would be.  If the boy is truly brain-dead, maybe it would be better to donate any healthy organs to others and let him die on the operating table.  I just hope that any conversations about such things are held out of hearing range of him just in case there is a tiny chance that he's sometimes aware of what's going on.

With all the sadness surrounding this story, I couldn't get really engaged in the interactions and possible future conflicts about Lewis being the subordinate to Hathaway and the implications of what having Lewis going back to work will do to his relationship with Dr. Hobson.

Good episode, I was kind of hoping Lewis would take more of a supporting role.  

Silly question:  Hathaway comes out of the pool, is in the locker room, puts something in a device, closes it, it makes a funny noise, then walks away.  What just happened?

What is that poor woman going to do now?

I have a feeling she'll be continuing her conversation with the Scandinavian doctor.

• Love 1

Actually, we're getting it first! It debuts on ITV on Friday the 10th. :-0

Pass the smelling salts and get me to a sofa before I faint! But it makes me wonder what (if any) scenes were removed by PBS, which happens from time to time.

The boys are back! I'm happy.

Sorta dark. What is that poor woman going to do now?

Wish the new DS talked just a little more slowly.

I was sooooo afraid they were going to kill her off during the episode. I'm happy they didn't.

Good episode, I was kind of hoping Lewis would take more of a supporting role.  

Silly question:  Hathaway comes out of the pool, is in the locker room, puts something in a device, closes it, it makes a funny noise, then walks away.  What just happened?

I'm thinking that machine is a clothes dryer because it looked like he tossed in a pair of wet trunks and removed dried trunks after the whirring?

I kept thinking that at least Lewis retired and is happy with Hobson in his life, unlike Morse, who worked until he dropped dead and had no one. :(  Another interesting contrast is that Lewis' retirement project is building a canoe, while Morse was getting into bird watching.

Anyhow, I think I'm watching too much crime tv type stuff, because I thought, that the killer was digging out the bullets and inserting the ones fired from the rifle.

What did the red letters spell out in the closing credits?

Edited by Milz
  • Love 2

Hathaway put his swimming costume into a spinner to spin out the excess water.  Most pools have this device so you don't have to lug home a sopping wet suit.  I was completely blind--I didn't even realize the surgical nurse was the old woman's daughter!

• Love 2

Hathaway put his swimming costume into a spinner to spin out the excess water.  Most pools have this device so you don't have to lug home a sopping wet suit.  I was completely blind--I didn't even realize the surgical nurse was the old woman's daughter!

I don't go to pools (public or private) so the spinner thing is educational for me!

They didn't make that very clear in the beginning about the nurse and the old lady.

Yeah those spinner things are actually pretty handy.  I don't remember the precise words but I'm pretty sure Lewis also threw in a pun about "hanging you out to dry" while Hathaway was putting his spin-dried trunks away. 

I thought it was a good episode.  Loved Innocent telling Hathaway not to be such a diva.  Though I agree with whoever said upthread that the new partner should speak slightly slower. 

Sorry to hear about the kittycat. Ours recently used its last life and departed. :(

Did anyone get the feeling Innocent asked Lewis back because she thinks Hathaway needs some guidance? She mentioned to him that Maddox was a good DS and not to let her get away.

• Love 1

I was so looking forward to the show and then our almost 18 year old cat died a sudden and grossly dramatic death...  We'd gone to extraordinary lengths to keep her going, and now I wonder if we had done her any favors.  I don't think so, and now Kitty is gone and I'm feeling guilty and selfish for putting it off for so long.

I'm so sorry about your cat. As far as feeling guilty, I can relate. Years ago when our dog had a neck injury, after he was treated I decided not to put him down yet. He seemed better. Then during the night he was crying in pain. I took him in the next day, and it seemed like everyone felt it should have been done sooner. Why didn't they tell me? Anyway, I understand how you feel.

Re the show… I was so happy and surprised to find that my DVR had recorded a new Inspector Lewis! I nearly deleted it because I thought it was a Masterpiece Mystery that I wasn't watching.

Great to have it back. I thought this one was very good. I suspected the nurse -- well, of course I suspected everyone, but the nurse seemed the most likely to me.

I thought the actress who played the mother of the boy was excellent. 

The actor who played the doctor looked so familiar to me. As I perused his IMDB page, I didn't think I'd seen any of his work, but then there was Titanic. He was one of the officer on the ship. Here's a pic. He kind of looks like a cross betw Matthew Rhys and Linus Roache.

Not only that, but she has the loveliest speaking voice I've heard in eons. So very plummy.

I like LF with his hair nice and short. I wish they'd make his sucking on cigarettes less of an on-camera thing. Bleeeech.

So are Robbie and Laura hitched, or are they just shacking?

As for the mystery, I had a mental bet that it was going to be the tall dark-haired son. Rats. I should know better by now than to bet against a woman murderer with this show.

Not only that, but she has the loveliest speaking voice I've heard in eons. So very plummy.

So are Robbie and Laura hitched, or are they just shacking?

I think they are just shacking up. But they're cute together. My PBS station runs inspector Morse episodes. Within the current subtext of Laura and Robbie, Hobson seems more interested in Lewis than in Morse (Morse flirts with her. But I don't think he got as far with Hobson as he did with Grayling Russell)

I'm so happy that this is back! Lewis and Hathaway forever. I really liked the new cop. She was a good addition. I like that we get to see Hathaway in a new position. He is clearly a problematic supervisor and sucks at delegation, but there is hope for the future.

The gamekeeper partner was the dashing filmmaker in the middle of the House of Elliot.

So good to see everyone back and now Robbie has a coat like Morse. But I don't know whose decision it was to have Hathaway turn up his collar the whole way through - drove me nuts. I liked Maddox.

I could swear those weren't trunks but his underwear? Why would he have trunks with him? But cool info on the drying machines - great idea.

What did the red letters spell out in the closing credits?

I'm working from memory, but "the greatest happiness" (maybe without "the"?).

I really liked her too. And DS Maddox!

So good to see everyone back and now Robbie has a coat like Morse. But I don't know whose decision it was to have Hathaway turn up his collar the whole way through - drove me nuts. I liked Maddox.

I could swear those weren't trunks but his underwear? Why would he have trunks with him?

I agree on the collar. Maybe the pool sells trunks, like how ice skating rinks and bowling alleys sell their gear?

I could swear those weren't trunks but his underwear? Why would he have trunks with him? But cool info on the drying machines - great idea.

I think you're right about it being his underwear rather than swimming trunks.  Didn't Lewis make a comment just after that along the lines of "don't get your knickers in a knot" because he knew Hathaway was (now) going commando!

Oh yes the swim suit spinner, very common at pools where people swim laps.  But it was definitely his underpants.  That was why as Ceindreadh noted Lewis made that comment about knickers.  Pretty sure Maddox raised an eyebrow at Hathaway when he tossed his underwear in the trash.  Oh the fan fiction that scene should be spawning!

• Love 1
(edited)

PBS is rebroadcasting Series 7, starting with this episode tonight (where I live) and following it in August with (the new to the US) Series 8.  Should be an interesting comparison/contrast with Endeavour, which just finished last week.

I'm glad that they're rebroadcasting last season, since I've forgotten pretty much everything that's happened except that Lewis came back out of retirement.

Edited by officetemp
  • Love 2

I don't understand why the father of the brain-damaged boy killed himself.  Was it because he was in such despair over the situation or was it because he didn't want to be the one to make the decision about letting his son die?  (I wonder too if the mother will go ahead with trying to let her son die or if she'll decide to continue maintaining her son as he is?)

It seems to me that if the surgical nurse felt so strongly about the neurosurgeon's incompetence, she should have backed up the younger doctor's claim about the surgeon's showing up to perform the procedure after drinking, instead of going around murdering people.

I think Lizzie Maddox is great!  I love how the character is extremely capable and pragmatic while still being able to obtain information from persons of interest through skillful questioning.  All while being even-tempered and unflappable, especially in her dealings with Hathaway.  Lewis became a fan of hers after only working with her for one day.

• Love 2

Maddox is great.  I got her confused with a couple of characters I didn't like from other shows (like others, I had forgotten most of what happened in these episodes), so it was a pleasant surprise to remember that in fact she was a good addition to the cast.

• Love 1

I love "Lewis" - always have from Morse days but I really don't like L. Fox as an actor.  I find him as interesting as drying paint.  It's not just the character, it's him as an actor, in everything I've seen him in.

Looking forward to the new series - sorry to know it is the last but it has been a longer run that I thought they would have.

And, yes, the two of them dressed like that in the canoe is pretty sweet - 

• Love 2