Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Whatever Happened to Baby James

Is the secondary character casting pool super small? I figured out that the second female detective is Peri from Devious Maids and now I can't take her seriously. Because it's Peri. And Maggie Q started off talking to Christina from the cancelled US version of Rake. Which I watched every episode of. At least it had Greg Kinnear. And oh, God, the writing on this show. I can't with this show. I'm out.

I want to like this show. I really do. But how many scenes of Beth closing her curtains and turning on her security system will we be subjected to?

And scenes if Jack in his empty apartment. Boo hoo.

The premise was good, but you knew they would get the boy out alive, so the suspense was really not there,.

Edited by Pepper the Cat
  • Love 1

The subject of stalking is timely and compelling, so I want to like this show, but it's making it really difficult.

I find Dylan McDermot's character hugely problematic. I feel like the show wants me to sympathize with him (The softer side of stalking? Whatever, show) - he just wants to be near his son! My issue is that it's the ex-wife who is in the center of all of the photos on his stalker wall, with the kid barely in the frame, so it is the ex who was the focus, not the son. Also, if he's a cop in good enough standing that he was able to transfer in to a specialized unit in LA, then why isn't he pursuing joint custody/visitation through legal means? Apparently, the ex-wife is holding something over him, but it had better be extremely damning to justify completely cutting him out of her son's life, because parents don't usually just get to decide the other parent "isn't worthy" and deny any contact. So, the show seems like it is trying to make the stalker seem sympathetic and the victim seem like a cold, unreasonable bitch. Don't like it.

I don't really care for DM's character in general except when he's actively working a case. His personality is creepy and smarmy, he uses charm in an attempt to manipulate people to like him (and he's not really charming) and he has boundary issues. He's one of the most unlikable leading men I can remember on a TV show. Is it on purpose? I'm not sure.

I HATED the way both female detectives talked about and spoke to the teenaged girl. She's a hottie so she must not be as innocent as she seems? She wears cute clothes so she must have a guy? Who are these women? Those sounded like guys views and words (and creepy guys at that) coming out of the women's mouths and I found it very offensive. At that age especially, girls are dressing more to keep up with other girls and there are plenty of "hottie" teenaged girls who don't date - either because they're too into their studies, sports, whatever.

I picked the stalker out right away because she was older & unattractive. It was clear the guy walking the dog couldn't have done it (because where was the dog while he was creeping?), the first neighbor was attractive (and pretty women are rarely cast as nutjobs on these shows), so clearly it had to be the less attractive woman with the unkempt hair. Way to build suspense, show.

The song at the end didn't fit well at all. It had a creepy vibe, which ok, but it didn't work for me at all. It stood out way too much instead of playing in the background and complementing the scene.

The only part that worked for me was the horror-cliche laden opener. That was suspenseful and well done. I'm also glad there was no immolation or gore this week.

Edited by angelwoody
  • Love 14

I HATED the way both female detectives talked about and spoke to the teenaged girl. She's a hottie so she must not be as innocent as she seems? She wears cute clothes so she must have a guy? Who are these women? Those sounded like guys views and words (and creepy guys at that)

I thought the same thing. Besides didn't Nakita get all up in arms about similar thinking on Dylan McDermott's (I really need to learn their names on the show) part last week when he was talking about the way she dressed.

I am interested to see what happens with the college stalker.

The feud DM and his ex-wife are having is annoying.  If DM did something that was so bad that she has to keep him away from his son, then I think the police department should know about it too. The way they're writing this so far isn't that he's just a deadbeat dad and she's tired of him making promises and not keeping them, it seems he did something horrible that she feels lost him the privilege of being a father.

• Love 1

Bland, predictable episode.  And like angelwoody, I picked the stalker out the second they first showed her.  And I am absolutely horrible at ever picking out the killer/baddie, even on poorly written shows like this, so...

Bizarrely, I will probably watch again next week.  Dylan McDermott remains totally Dylan McDermott, but I'm still enjoying Maggie Q thus far.

• Love 1

I don't know if anyone else caught this, because it was presented really subtly- hahahaha, I'm sorry, I can't keep this up. Nothing on this show is subtle.

There was some kind of mirroring going on this episode: Dylan Mcdermott and crazy lady perp both lost a son. Lady's reaction was both inappropriate and insane. Our hero's reaction is therefore being presented as not . . . so  . . . bad? I mean, that pick up and hug of Thomas at the end was pretty blatant. And then, as the four of us who are still watching have commented, his ex is presented as cold and bitchy, and makes unreasonable demands - like he could just pack up and go after a month, and expect to find employment anywhere else. The general message I seem to be getting here is "bitches be crazy, amirite?" I mean, even the teenage girl was banging Mr Walking Tattoo who was over ten years older than her. Her mom can't keep her son safe in her own house. Beth's barista friend is immediately taken in by a friendly smile. Female cop immediately has to make a move on New Guy. UGH.

I want this show to be about creepy stalkers who are hard to stop, not typical mutderers and kidnappers. I am afraid we are not going to deal with that at all.

And you are right, because once again, the main case was not a stalker. No, she wasn't. Neither was the photo obsessed perv (man, the way the two cops were shocked by the California Girls photo-montage, I thought I was in a costume drama for a moment. Have they never seen a music video?). I would like to insert a subliminal flash of Morbo between every stupid scene: Stalking Does Not Work That Way! Goodnight!

The only stalker was the college kid, and Beth's stalker-fu is really letting her down there. Oh, and Dylan McDermott, of course. What he's doing is textbook stalking, with the sense of entitlement (I have a RIGHT!) down to the obvious surveillance photos on the wall of crazy.

I'm giving this one more episode, hoping it won't be STRRIKE THREE! It's already 2 for 2 on ruining classic songs. C'mon show, which classic will you ruin for me next week? Let's have "I will follow him" in spoken word by a Bjork sound-alike, with a background of Tuvan throat-singing!

• Love 2

his ex is presented as cold and bitchy

To be fair, I'm not sure that's a message the show is trying to send; I think that's just ERs natural facial expression ;)

And I hate the ending music as well.

Edited by Shanna
  • Love 1

I can't believe it just hit me now that the Janice is played by the same actress who played Lorena, Bill's maker on True Blood.  I think I figured it out when she was lusting over Jack; I kept waiting for her to start spouting fangs, and began feasting on Dylan McDermott blood.

Of course, Beth's war with last episode's stalker, is already biting her in the ass: she just put her friend in danger now.  Nice going, Beth.

Yeah, I also wasn't a fan of the way Beth and Janice were treating that teenage girl.  Is it that impossible that an attractive teenage girl would not be having sex?  Of course, this show just had to prove them right; and, it was an older guy, of course, to make sure we know her judgment isn't very good.  And, despite what she claimed, I still felt like Beth was being judgmental about the condoms, which, if anything, I'll give the girl credit for thinking ahead and being prepared.  Whatever; the whole thing was stupid.

Man, the stuff with Jack and the Rohm-bot is just hilarious.  "Awkward" is totally the way to describe the fact that the woman you are stalking is actually a co-worker.  He really thinks his actions are just a minor offense, huh?  And, of course, the Rohm-bot has some mysterious thing over him, that she is threatening to unleash on him, if he doesn't leave.  Which, since Dylan McDermott ain't going anywhere, I doubt is going to be that big.

The stuff with the pedophile and the pictures was just head-scratching.  One one hand, the characters were understandably acting horrified and disgusted.  On the other hand, the director sure did love showing various close-ups and panning shots of those pictures.  So, what is it, show?  Disgusting?  Sexy (which, ew)?  Both?  I could not tell what they were trying to accomplish with those shots.

Poor Maggie Q.  I do think she's trying at least (Dylan's just being Classic Dylan), but she isn't given much to work with.

Edited by thuganomics85

Doesn't the missing kids mother in this play Spencer's Mariska Hargitay looking mother in Pretty Little Liars? This wasn't great. I'm trying to like it but.. no. It's all just very bland.

I guess I'm one of the few who's loving this show.  Of course, there are a few things that are cliche and predictable (then again, I'm a procedural junkie), but like most people, the only reason I decided to give this show a try is Maggie Q.  I'm really intrigued by her character, and I hope things will get better after the first few hiccups a new series has. 

My issue is that it's the ex-wife who is in the center of all of the photos on his stalker wall, with the kid barely in the frame, so it is the ex who was the focus, not the son.

Exactly.  Yet he keeps saying stuff to imply it's the kid he wants to be near.  So, is he unwittingly fooling himself?  Is he deliberately fooling the rest of the world?  Or is it simply a screw-up in the props department?

because where was the dog while he was creeping?

And any way, dog people can't really be that bad, can they? 

it seems he did something horrible that she feels lost him the privilege of being a father.

Which might simply be that he fooled around.  Which I don't condone, but it isn't a world-shattering, rights-depriving sin.  So maybe something really horrible?

the only reason I decided to give this show a try is Maggie Q.  I'm really intrigued by her character

Yes, but she needs to unbutton a couple more buttons.  Because you never really need to dress appropriate to your job.

Well, I watched E2 to see if there was any great improvement, and there wasn't.  This show isn't looking like it'll be with us that much longer.  Reviews were pretty harsh.  Don't know what the ratings did for E2, but E3 is supposed to have a different writer and director, so I may watch E3 as a last chance, hoping for some significant improvement.

• Love 1

One of the biggest problems I'm seeing with the show is the writing of the women.  Like, every female who appears on screen seems like they've been written either by a sixteen year-old boy or a bitter guy who just got dumped by his girlfriend.  The women are all unflattering stereotypes: Bitchy ex-wife, hardass boss, sexually aggressive co-worker, slutty teen, etc..  

Granted, many shows have trouble writing for female characters but on this show, where the subject matter is something that real-life women have to deal with in growing numbers, it seems like the show is almost making them part of the problem.  For that matter, why does Maggie Q keep all of her curtains wide open?  I don't even do that and I've never been a victim of stalking - I just like my privacy.  And why did she go after the college stalker guy?  Was is a smart way of getting him to transfer his obsession from his roommate onto her, so she could handle it?  Or was it just stupidity?  Because right now it looks like the latter.  

If they wanted to make DM's character a secret stalker, why give him a "justification" in the big meanie of an ex-wife - if not to try to make the audience sympathize with him?  And why try to get the audience to sympathize with a stalker on a show about freaking stalkers???  Stalking is criminal and no matter how great a reason you have (and they all think they have a reason) it is very wrong!  

I don't get the point of view of the writers.  Or I do get it (women are awful and sometimes you need to stalk them if they're being unreasonable) and really, really dislike the point of view of the writers. 

• Love 3

Do you really think the audience is supposed to sympathize with Dylan? I'm not getting that vibe at all.

As for the writing of the women, I am hear for Maggie and she has been fine to me so far. I didn't find the coworker overly aggressive, I thought Dylan was making too big if a deal of a simple invite. He was also kind of weird with the male coworker.

As I mentioned Elizabeth rohns expression defaults to bitchy bit at this point it is more reasonable to assume she has a damn good reason for keeping her ex away than that she is unreasonable.

I think with the teenager, there point was that she was hiding something more than that she was a slut.

• Love 1
Do you really think the audience is supposed to sympathize with Dylan? I'm not getting that vibe at all.

Yeah, I think we're supposed to think Jack is a big weirdo and he's unaware of that half the time. The male co-worker practically spelled it out that he's an awkward dude. Same thing with Jack's response to the blond lady: he went OTT rejecting her because he's just that awkward and weird. I actually laughed at both exchanges.

This show would win points with me if, in the fourth episode (2 weeks after the ex-wife told Jack he had two weeks to leave town or she would tell his big secret), the ex-wife tells the big secret, Jack then has to quit, and then, in the 5th episode, Beth catches Jack stalking the ex-wife and kid, and he gets hauled off to prison and that is the last we see of his character.

And add me to the group who were baffled and disgusted by the treatment of the teenage girl. It would have been bad enough it Jack was the one who said it, but the fact that it was the cleavage showing hard-as-nails female detective who said it, makes it so much worse. 

I never watched Nikita, but I have heard nothing but positive things about it.  This is the second series Maggie Q has starred in and I now think that someone at the network has a big secret about her that they are threatening her with, because I can't imagine any other reason why she would be willing to go along with such horrible writing.     

• Love 1

I HATED the way both female detectives talked about and spoke to the teenaged girl. She's a hottie so she must not be as innocent as she seems? She wears cute clothes so she must have a guy? Who are these women? Those sounded like guys views and words (and creepy guys at that) coming out of the women's mouths and I found it very offensive. At that age especially, girls are dressing more to keep up with other girls and there are plenty of "hottie" teenaged girls who don't date - either because they're too into their studies, sports, whatever

Thank you! I was disgusts by that. But seriously, who write these shows? Usually cis, hetero male, or if it is a woman, she is the type that believes a happy ending is a man and a woman together. 

the first neighbor was attractive (and pretty women are rarely cast as nutjobs on these shows), so clearly it had to be the less attractive woman with the unkempt hair. Way to build suspense, show.

Thank you again! At least she wasn't the "unloved fat woman". Ugh!

Having said that, I will watch. I am one of the few (probably) who is fine with DM. I don't think he is much worse than most actors (Thomas Gibson, Christopher Meloni, for example) and he is much better than others (the other guy from Criminal Minds), and he is easy in the eyes of this bisexual who is much more into women. 

Maybe I am being generous because I tried to watch Criminal Minds again, just before this show, and it was so bad, anything after is stellar. An I am curious about what Dylan has done to the wife who, so far, has not made me feel sympathetic toward her. Why can't she just stop the games and tell everyone whatever she has against him?I don't think she is a stalker victim at all. I think the thing will be more complicated, with no clear victim in this story.

• Love 1

"At least she wasn't the unloved fat girl"

I'm sure that cliche is coming. I never watch much',if any, of this type of tv but the reviews were so bad, the professional reviewers sounded shocked at how bad it is so I gave it a look on a rainy Saturday morning.

And...wow. Who DOES write this stuff? Why is it so cliche, up to and including we have a kidnapped child, held hostage and two weirdos from a stalking unit "we mostly consult with other departments" are the only ones there. They tell no one else no SWAT team. Stupid.

I think the writers actually think that by having Maggie wear open blouses they are empowering her and showing women should be able to wear what they want. But reality is in a workplace most women are more comfortable in slightly less revealing clothes because less chance of lots of things not the least of which is a wardrobe malfunction.

And yeah the curtain thing is the worst. Terrible writing! The reviewers are correct in my opinion.

I think with the teenager, there point was that she was hiding something more than that she was a slut.

Thing is, she might have been selling dope and sleeping with a bike gang, but the only thing she did to arouse suspicion was be a hottie.   (And wouldn't it be true to say that any 16 y/o girl in a reasonable state of good health could be considered "a hottie" anyway?  Youthful vitality, healthy skin, etc... teenagers have to work hard to be ugly!  Or is it just me?)  No, the way this was written, being female, attractive and 16 automatically meant she has to be a bad person, and the discovery of the coke and the fact she was sleeping with Mr. Tats only goes to prove the generalization to be valid. 

• Love 3

Writers really need to pay attention to what they put in the characters' mouth.

At some point Jack refers to the guy who took pictures as "pedophile". He is NOT a pedophile. The girls in the pictures were NOT pre-pubescent.

Not the first show to do this, still very annoying.

• Love 1

Hanna on phone talking to a gf, and hears stuff going on in house. Litle brother Thomas taken was scary. Then Jack figures the stalker was hiding in the tree fort and was maybe after Hanna. Pressuring her to admit she had a lover, Victor Sweeny, but he was no kidnapper either. The checking of known assultist, Thaddius Barnes was a good check. He had many pics of Hanna and other teens on wall. Ok, creepy, but not the UnSub.

I should have thought closer about the 3 neighbors they interviewed.

But Sweeney helped find Rosemary Wilsons car. We findout she lost her son James. And she thinks Thomas is James. Judith(Rosemary) argument with the homeowner, "What are you doing in my house?" Beth comes in as the "neighbor Judy" that needs to borrow sugar. It almost worked but Thomas took off to quick. She fights well for a little lady. But Beth handled it pretty good.

We find out that Amanda Taylor, Jack's ex is the DDA. That could be problems. But he just wants to see his son. maybe eventually he will be able to and don't have to follow them around. But I wonder what he did wrong, was it sleeping with his superiors wife?

Jack explained to Janice when she wanted to go for a drink,"It's just drinks", Jacks reply, that." it is never just drinks". So work place romance won't happen??

Perry Whitley coming to see Beth to say he forgave her for beating him, and she acting like it didn't happen was cool. But him then talking to her friend,Tracy Wright, makes me worry for her heath. This could be an interesting story line.

It should round into a decent series. I hope!

At some point Jack refers to the guy who took pictures as "pedophile". He is NOT a pedophile.

He raped 12-year-old girl, he is registered sex offender, that's how they found him in the first place. Pretty sure that's exactly what "pedophile" means.

Edited by CooperTV
  • Love 3

He raped 12-year-old girl, he is registered sex offender, that's how they found him in the first place. Pretty sure that's exactly what "pedophile" means.

I must have missed the part about the 12 year-old then. Still, they could not have said he is a pedophile by the pictures they showed, where all the girls were not pre-pubescent. 

A person ca be a sex offender and not a pedophile but yeah, in general a 12 year-old would be a victim of a pedophile. My mistake for not paying attention to the dialogue 

• Love 1

And you'd be wrong, that's Hebephilia. Unfortunately, on these shows, they use pedophilia as a blanket term that covers everything nowadays.

As for this episode , I have a bunch of questions.

1. Assuming TAU is a  pretty small and busy unit. Why would they send that unit in for a break in? Up until the girl pointed out to Maggie( sorry too lazy to look up her show name) that she was being stalked,  they had no idea that this was a stalking case.

2. Did we really need to see Dylan with the little boy to establish that he's not a "bad guy?" It seems pretty stupid to let a kid get that close to a scene that you're trying to investigate.

3. Why didn't the woman just knock out the girl and take the boy that night? 

4. Understanding that he does have some rights, I'm pretty sure that a convicted child offender in the park is a pretty big no no. Even if it wasn't a park, was he just taking close up photos of little girls in broad daylight without anybody noticing?

5.Even if they did find condoms on that girl, so what? That proves nothing other then she has condoms. I'd love to see that conversation if nothing came of that find. " Yea we harassed the boy's sister because a girl like that can't be as innocent as she appears and she had condoms, captain."

6. Why can't a district attorney take the proper measures to protect herself from Dylan other then to make a hollow threat?

7. Why  pretend would she pretend that she doesn't know him? Couldn't she just call him out and get him out of her life as opposed to continuing to let this guy mess with her?

8. Why would Dylan hold the Charade that he doesn't know her then chase her through the building?  That was pretty a pretty noticeable display. Is this unit so closed off that such things wouldn't get back to them?

9. Why play the pronoun game at the end when she knew nobody was close enough to her to hear what she was saying?

If the writers weren't so busy setting up creepy characters and trying to get to their next jump scare, they could save this show. But I don't see that happening.

• Love 3

I usually like the beginning of this show because I love the suspense which I think they do really well. So the setup is OK. Once the main characters are brought in it all falls apart for me. I never watched La Femme Nikita but I am failing to see what special something Maggie Q brings to the table and my Dylan McDermott love from The Practice is definitely challenged by the poor storytelling and writing for the overarching storyline. I deleted after about twenty minutes which is something I almost never do.