Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E11: Girl Meets World: Of Terror

Kromm

Note this is a THURSDAY night broadcast and not the usual Friday one.  No clue why, except it seems to be for some kind of Disney Halloween event night (almost a month before Halloween though).

Riley has to save Maya from detention with a mean teacher on Halloween. Maya doesn't get what she did, and explains her side of the story, but Riley, Farkle, and Lucas disagree. Meanwhile, Topanga takes Auggie trick or treating with Ava.

The oddest thing?  Michael Jacobs and his staff thinking that even most ADULTS (muchless kids) will get the Alfred Hitchcock shadow reference seen in this promo.  Also, stop trying to make Auggie "happen"--at least stop trying so HARD.

Edited by Kromm

Note this is a THURSDAY night broadcast and not the usual Friday one.  No clue why, except it seems to be for some kind of Disney Halloween event night (almost a month before Halloween though).

The oddest thing?  Michael Jacobs and his staff thinking that even most ADULTS (muchless kids) will get the Alfred Hitchcock shadow reference seen in this promo.  Also, stop trying to make Auggie "happen"--at least stop trying so HARD.

/facepalm... silly Disney :P. They could have done this at least a week before Halloween. I wonder why they're airing it so dang early?

I don't think they are airing it now. There seems to be the IMdB listing of the Halloween episode, but Direct TV and Time Warner Cable are both showing listings saying "While Auggie braves the monster under the bed, Riley survives a sleep over at Maya's with her grandmother and pet ferret; Farkle faces the ultimate terror: softball." Same episode title, different descriptions. 

I don't think they are airing it now. There seems to be the IMdB listing of the Halloween episode, but Direct TV and Time Warner Cable are both showing listings saying "While Auggie braves the monster under the bed, Riley survives a sleep over at Maya's with her grandmother and pet ferret; Farkle faces the ultimate terror: softball." Same episode title, different descriptions. 

They definitely are airing the Halloween episode next Thursday.  Go watch the promo clip a few posts up. The promo is airing now, this week, refers to "Thursday", and shows us Halloween.

The different descriptions may be because one source may have seen the episode early and written their own description, while another went from some boilerplate released by Disney.  

That was borderline un-watchable. 

The Halloween stuff like the lightening and power outages were so forced, like this episode was specifically made to fit into Disney's Halloween line-up.

Auggie was unbearable. Why they continue to give him so much screen-time is beyond me. Every time he was on screen it felt like it suddenly became a show for pre-schoolers.

I hate Riley. She is always so grating and over-the-top. Did she have any 'normal' lines at all this episode? She's terrible.

Now for the positives:

Maya: That girl has both talent and charisma. She carried the episode for me; God knows the Matthews kids didn't. Give Riley less screen-time and refocus the show on Maya.

Lucas: If you would have told me after the first episodes of the season that Lucas would be a bright spot in the show, I'd have called you crazy. But it's true. His scenes with Farkle and Maya were a highlight of the episode.

Cory: He still has great comedic timing and is always good for a few laughs.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 1

I have no idea why they didn't wait to show this episode during, I don't know, HALLOWEEN. 

I agree that Lucas is quite good when he's bouncing off Maya and Farkle.

Yea I feel that way too. It seems as if the holidays are getting earlier and earlier these days. It takes away a lot of the fun.

• Love 1

FYI this is where we get our episode descriptions. Here is the link for Girl Meets World http://thetvdb.com/?tab=season&seriesid=267777&seasonid=514961&lid=7

That appears to be user-created.  I've heard IMDB is as well, although I've never seen the edit interface there, so you may have to be registered there to do it.  In fact, IMDB now has word for word the identical description for the episode as thetvdb--at some point between Sept 27 and now someone changed it.  I suspect the same person entered it on both sites, and the text must have somehow come from Disney.

I agree that Lucas is quite good when he's bouncing off Maya and Farkle.

If these kids were supposed to be a year or two older than they are, that statement would be even more suggestive.

That was borderline un-watchable. 

The Halloween stuff like the lightening and power outages were so forced, like this episode was specifically made to fit into Disney's Halloween line-up.

Auggie was unbearable. Why they continue to give him so much screen-time is beyond me. Every time he was on screen it felt like it suddenly became a show for pre-schoolers.

I hate Riley. She is always so grating and over-the-top. Did she have any 'normal' lines at all this episode? She's terrible.

Now for the positives:

Maya: That girl has both talent and charisma. She carried the episode for me; God knows the Matthews kids didn't. Give Riley less screen-time and refocus the show on Maya.

Riley's problems are fixable with better writing.  Auggie's probably aren't.  The writers seem in love with the idea that Riley is a loveable goofball, and that Auggie is a walking talking kids' show cliche.  I suppose in some senses Maya is too (the wisecracking friend), except that kids' delivery is flawless, so even the dumb jokes come off great.

I thought this was cute, to an extent (granted, I watched it on the DVR at 6:00 this morning before going to work).  I liked the Farkle tale, with the nice moment of understanding with Lucas and Farkle.  I thought the monster under the bed/over the bed story was cute and I loved that the monster left on his own because Auggie is growing up (so please, show, grow him up a little!).  The Riley/Maya story left me cold because I find a hard time believing a tween would be having problems sleeping at her best friend's house.

The one that gets me is "indoor Softball".  That said, they recognized the total stupidity of this and joked about it themselves.

It amazes me that the show can't even afford a single outdoor remote even to a neighborhood park in L.A. with the right angles picked to allow us to think it might be along New York's west side park area (where a lot of schools in Manhattan play baseball and softball).

Still, we had not one but TWO adult guest stars this episode--that's major.  A coach, who we might even see again, and a Granny for Maya, who I'm sure we will.

The one that gets me is "indoor Softball".  That said, they recognized the total stupidity of this and joked about it themselves.

It amazes me that the show can't even afford a single outdoor remote even to a neighborhood park in L.A. with the right angles picked to allow us to think it might be along New York's west side park area (where a lot of schools in Manhattan play baseball and softball).

Still, we had not one but TWO adult guest stars this episode--that's major.  A coach, who we might even see again, and a Granny for Maya, who I'm sure we will.

O_O That's beyond cheap. Indoor softball.. wtf?! Broken Windows, anyone?

Well to be fair I've never been in a gymnasium with windows.

But the show is SO cheap all we saw was what looked like a little corner of a gymnasium.  It was like the same size as the Matthews family living room.

I think Disney typically does this in October - air all of their Halloween themed episodes (and, yes, every show in season during this time is likely forced to put a Halloween show together) at the start of the month so they can re-run them numerous times throughout the month.  

This was probably my least favorite episode of this show so far.  It felt like they were told at the last minute "you need to film a Halloween episode" and just threw together whatever they could.  

If it was whiffleball it would've been good but then the story would be lost.

Edited by Skyfall

I think Disney typically does this in October - air all of their Halloween themed episodes (and, yes, every show in season during this time is likely forced to put a Halloween show together) at the start of the month so they can re-run them numerous times throughout the month.  

This was probably my least favorite episode of this show so far.  It felt like they were told at the last minute "you need to film a Halloween episode" and just threw together whatever they could.  

Like "Blend a show"? :P That sucks :(. I have it recorded and will try to watch it.

• Love 1

That was okay. I continue to like how the friendships progress. Lucas is nicely integrated with the group now, and I enjoyed Maya's "atta girl" kind of expression when Riley flirted with Lucas. I want to give them some credit for having Riley slowly become more comfortable and normal in her flirtations with Lucas. And I did laugh at them going to bed at 7:15 to make the night end faster. The costume designer clearly had fun with the steampunk-esque costumes the kids were wearing.Did anyone else think the grandma shadow was going to be Cory? I thought that looked like his hair.

I like the Auggie segment better if I decide it's a shoutout to the Ben and Fred Savage film "Little Monsters."

What was with the Steampunk halloween outfits?

Is Steampunk maintream cool now?

Define "mainstream".  Do normal kids that age wear steampunk Halloween costumes? I doubt it.

I don't really know if appearing vaguely (not specifically mentioned as such) on an independently produced but aired on Disney show means mainstream. It sounds like a decision some costume designer on the show made when simply asked for to make costumes that "look cool".  What I do believe is that "sexy" grown up cosplay versions of Steampunk costumes have been around for years now and the costume person probably twigged to that and Disneyed it up a bit (not so sexy).

Maya's soft spot towards Farkle is what makes her my favorite character. I did like that Lucas hit him to let him know it's OK.

I'm going to fanwank Riley is on crack from now on. It makes her funny to me when she out does Cory's craziness. She makes me laugh but I think its because I'm easy to please.

Auggie was actually interesting for once. For once they treated him like a kid and was the monster played by the kid who plays Spencer Cassadine on GH?

Rowan is getting better with the flirting with Peyton's Lucas (no not the TV couple from One Tree Hill.) but like someone else said Lucas seemed less interested. Its probably wrong acting choice though. I don't think the show will have them with anyone else.

Weird, Maya's bedroom is the most normal Disney Channel room I've seen since The Famous Jett Jackson/Lizzie Mcguire/Ren Stevens era.

Edited by mjgchick
  • Love 2

In the middle of watching it. Didn't mind Farkle's tale... only had to fast forward through his melodramatic fainting XD. I really enjoy Auggie in this one :). And Topanga was fricken classic :P. Trying to get him out to have dinner. So mother like.

So far I was more annoyed by Riley in the first story than the second. She seemed a little more subdued. Which is the Riley I like ok. When she's too hyper it makes me want to run out of the room screaming.

Auggie was actually interesting for once. For once they treated him like a kid and was the monster played by the kid who plays Spencer Cassadine on GH?

Yes, that was Nicolas Bechtel.  It took a little time for me to recognize him without a jacket, tie, or overwhelming arrogance.

• Love 1

I watch this show with my 7 year old daughter and my 9 year old niece. They love it and they love Riley. Disney knew what they were doing making Riley the star and Maya the sidekick.

I cannot stand Riley.  Lucas looks so bored with her. She acts like she's 8.  Maya seems so much more mature than Riley.  I do love Maya and Farkle is funny.  Great to see Corey & Topanga, look forward to seeing others from BMW.

• Love 1

i agree Frisco,, would've told riley to get the freak outta my house if you're not going to respect it. just because i don't have tons and i don't live in a cookie cutter neighborhood doesn't mean you should disrespect where i reside. i hate this kind of stuff in real life, my friends think i live in a freaking hood. we have our issues but there are neighborhoods in the city that wish they had our problems >:(. riley sucked in this episode and i didn't feel like she learned a lesson. in fact, I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT WAS BEING TAUGHT lol this episode was all over the place. the baseball scene was horrendous, the whole episode shouldn't have been done. this show is mediocre at best and this is coming from a somewhat fan of it. there are fans who watch this show but won't say how they really feel about some of it's episodes because they're afraid of backlash and what not, i'm one of the few who couldn't care less. i'm gonna be real, this show needs some help. michael jacobs needs to sit down somewhere and let someone else take over while he works in the sidelines, the only thing reminding me it's a spin off is his logo at the end of each episode. dog with a blog did their halloween episode far better than this, because they're too busy trying to shove lesson down our throats. they could've had fun with this episode, auggie should've taken over this episode and i don't like his character. but i feel like this should've been his episode, it could've all be a dream he was having or something make believe, something for kid viewers to look at and enjoy because let's be real they're the only ones getting pumped about disney's halloween lineup. give them something to laugh at and have fun with, this episode was off lol. try again mike try again....