Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Talk: Defining the Culture

Cameron feels competitive when a popular teacher returns from sabbatical; Haley goes to a realtor's banquet with Phil; Mitch struggles to get his bearings at his new job; Jay and Gloria babysit Lily.
Jay bonds with Luke in the garage over talk of tools and manly pursuits; Gloria and Claire take Lily shopping for a flower girl dress; Mitchell, Cameron, Alex and Manny spend a day at a museum; Phil offers to help Andy with his anniversary gift for his girlfriend, which involves an expression of love on video.

Totally agree - that cracked us up in my house.

I also liked the talking head interview where Alex was like, "Yeah, it was hard dumbing it down all day." They're doing some interesting things with that character, with the limited screentime she gets.

I also liked the talking head interview where Alex was like, "Yeah, it was hard dumbing it down all day." They're doing some interesting things with that character, with the limited screentime she gets.

Yup... Implying your character is a genius is an interesting choice, we'll see where they go with it. Assuming that this show keeps on going for another few years, it's going to be difficult for them to keep Alex on the show, right? They'll have no choice but to send her off to an Ivy League school or something... 

This episode reminded me once again of just how much I can't stand Cam. He's a selfish ass who pouts if he doesn't get his own way. 

What the hell was going on with the kid who plays Luke? I know that since his growth spurt over the summer he's forgotten how to act, but it looked like he's forgotten how to talk too. It was like he couldn't figure out how to move his mouth to form words. I couldn't stop staring at the contortions his face was making. 

What a Phil-tastic episode. I loved him in the hair salon "What's the nozzle set-up?" or word to that effect. Ty Burrell is just so winning in this role.  Plus Stella.

I love than Manny has wrapped his head around the fact that his previously off-putting behavior is now winning him friends. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Loved this eppy and one of my fav characters is Cam and his OTT self. FUNNY!

Oh, Phil: "What's the nozzle sitch?" was just gold. "Cinco de Mayo... oh my... oh." or however he said it better than I just did.

Haley during Scrabble: "How am supposed to do this with all these I's on my rack." 

Manny: "Sorry." heh

I'm happy that the kids are starting to "fill" (aka feel) Manny and his peculiar quirks - which I flove.

Jay to Mitchell: "The less you know the better. This is a non-versation. I can make things disappear." Hee.

Edited by ari333

I loved this episode.  I loved how Gloria felt guilty, or ashamed, for living a better life.  She had no reason to but still, seeing her feel that way made me like herr more.  So Cam basically played Mitchell by having his Dad make the cake topper in order to get rid of the singer/dj.  That wasn't my favorite part of Cam but it was a nice twist at the end seeing that's what he did.  And yay Manny for wanting to stay at Jay's family night and not go to the party.  Even moreso, his quirks are now popular.  I'm glad for him.

• Love 1

I couldn't stop staring at the contortions his face was making.

I've noticed something that confuses me and might be related. When they shoot him off-center from the left side (his right) his mouth seems to face the camera while the rest of his face is skewed 45 degrees counterclockwise. To be clear, I'm not criticizing his looks! He's a cute kid. I can't not see the mouth thing, though.

A weak episode, IMO. I do love Stella, so Jay getting into the dog show circuit was funny. Cam was his usual insufferable self. Free Mitchell!

I love those Phil/Mitchell moments in this episode. Mitchell's expressions when Phil was telling him about discovering his love of - *gasp* - DOG SHOWS were priceless!

• Love 2

Joe and Stella were adorable. Everyone else was awful.

Didn't laugh once this episode. I absolutely hate it when an episode is built around an idiotic sitcom contrivance - buying a record and then feverishly destroying it, hiding it, feeling guilty, developing narcolepsy, ugh. Or the stupid hand-me-down scandal.

It all just felt very random, like the writers using up old jokes they couldn't fit into previous episodes.

The ending made me tear up a little.  Alex is always so wound up & seems like she has together.   I love that Alex is a smart young lady but would like for her to have fun too.   Manny and Luke on their double date was cute.  Funny when the boys were upset thinking the girls were "using" them but did not seem to mind when the girls asked them to make out.

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from shows first five seasons. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Just saw "Game Changer" again, after looking at iPads in an Apple Store, and all I could think when I saw Claire give Phil his iPad was, "wow, that thing is thick!"  Amazing how fast they came out with sleeker models. 

I came into this show very late in the game and have recently been binge watching. I do think it's cute and funny, it does annoy me though to no end that these kids are the most coddled assholes I have ever seen on a sitcom. They are all complete wimps when it comes to raising their children.