Type keyword(s) to search

Ratings And Scheduling: I Can't Do This Alone

kimrey
  • Start Topic

10 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I wish CBS would get some good shows going (ratings wise). I'm rather worried that CW will become the Berlanti Television Network.

Yeah, I recently mentioned something similar to a friend. I basically stopped watching almost all the Berlanti shows last season. Other than Riverdale, they were all basically the same show with different characters--and even Riverdale falls into similar story traps, IMO. Even though I have no interest in Dynasty or Valor, I applaud the effort to try something different at least. Too bad they aren't different enough though.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Casseiopeia said:

Oh awesome.  I couldn't find any info anywhere other than we didn't trend.  Whew!!

I just got lucky and it popped up on my Twitter feed. 

• Love 2

I have a feeling that the addition of Jack is helping with the ratings.  As much as I was initially annoyed by what I thought was an obvious move to bring in younger viewers by adding younger eye candy, it seems to be working.  Jack is pretty popular from what I've been seeing out there.  And since I like his relationship with the Winchesters, at least so far, I won't complain.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Interestingly enough SPN is up in viewers y2y (12.02 - 1.61, 13.02 - 1.84).

Also less of a drop from episode 1 to episode 2. SPN dropped 2 tenths from 12.01 to 12.02 (0.8 to 0.6)

Is it Quarks on the Arrow forum who is saying that the networks look at total viewers more now than the demo? So if viewers go up and the demo stays the same essentially, that's the best case? Or did I misunderstand Quarks?

1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

Oh awesome.  I couldn't find any info anywhere other than we didn't trend.  Whew!!

Although I'm Canadian, I have my Twitter feed set on United States trends - and I never saw it in the top ten from 8:00 pm through about 11:00 pm Eastern, when I shut down my laptop. So the West coast must have tweeted their fingers to the bone!

1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Although I'm Canadian, I have my Twitter feed set on United States trends - and I never saw it in the top ten from 8:00 pm through about 11:00 pm Eastern, when I shut down my laptop. So the West coast must have tweeted their fingers to the bone!

I'm on the west coast and I never saw it trending either.

Personally I think the importance of the good ratings is it firmly puts the ball in Jared and Jensen’s hands.  If they were waning (compared to previous year) then their negotiation position might be less strong for the next two years contract.  

With good ratings (comparatively— I get the scalenis different for the CW), it says they still have a product that people want to consume (regardless of reason —show love, actor affection, even hate watching). People still tune in.  Add to that the recent free EW publicity.  For a tween, this show is aging well IMO from a business perspective.

As for show quality — that’s 100% in the eye of the viewer.   Personally I think it’s a great show and a compelling story to start S13.  I take comfort that the initial data is positive for show’s business health.  I hope that continues.  

• Love 5
38 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Is Twitter the only social media site Nielsen record? If it isn’t perhaps the show was popular on those other sites, which would explain its number 2 position? 

There must be more... Tumblr? Facebook? because last week it trended #1 or #2 for the whole hour (east coast) and well into the 9 o'clock hour and the numbers weren't a whole lot different.

Right now it's Twitter and Facebook.

13 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

There must be more... Tumblr? Facebook? because last week it trended #1 or #2 for the whole hour (east coast) and well into the 9 o'clock hour and the numbers weren't a whole lot different.

http://www.nielsensocial.com/

About Nielsen Social

Nielsen provides the most complete view of consumer trends and habits worldwide. Nielsen Social is the leading provider of social TV measurement, audience engagement and advertising effectiveness solutions for TV networks, agencies and advertisers. We deliver Social Content Ratings, the first standardized third-party measurement of program-related social media activity across Facebook and Twitter, with Instagram to follow at a later date. Nielsen Social delivers one comprehensive solution to help the industry measure, understand and act on social TV.

24 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Final-Bcast-2017-Oct-19.THU_.png

We adjusted up and Arrow adjusted down! 

Awww, poor Arrow. :(. 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Right now it's Twitter and Facebook.

http://www.nielsensocial.com/

Awww, poor Arrow. :(. 

I don’t watch, but for the sake of its fans, I hope it can manage to stay steady all season and doesn’t start falling to 0.4s. Being down to 0.5 so early in the season is kinda worrying considering the fact there’s usually (but not always) a drop in spring. 

37 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I don’t watch, but for the sake of its fans, I hope it can manage to stay steady all season and doesn’t start falling to 0.4s. Being down to 0.5 so early in the season is kinda worrying considering the fact there’s usually (but not always) a drop in spring. 

Well, I think there will be some good stuff happening soon that might help the ratings. Well good IMO LOL others may disagree!

SPN is the #2 show on the network! Who would have thought that after all these years SPN would be doing so strong? I remember in seasons 1 & 2 not having renewal news until after the finales aired. Now that was a stressful time. Not to mention the fear I had for the show when it was moved to Fridays.

SPN is so steady and safe these days. In a year or two, if The Flash keeps dropping, SPN just might make it to #1.

Edited by Lord Kira
  • Love 5
53 minutes ago, Lord Kira said:

SPN is the #2 show on the network! Who would have thought that after all these years SPN would be doing so strong? I remember in seasons 1 & 2 not having renewal news until after the finales aired. Now that was a stressful time. Not to mention the fear I had for the show when it was moved to Fridays.

SPN is so steady and safe these days. In a year or two, if The Flash keeps dropping, SPN just might make it to #1.

Wouldn't that be something!

51 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

So.... Season 14 is a given?

At least until E300.  I don't think the J's want to do a whole season.   I think it all depends on if they can negotiate a shorter season and if they can negotiate a Netflix type series like GG past 14 if the ratings hold.

• Love 1

Supergirl is decent IMO. I think it needs another night. It's against MNF and BBT. They should move Supergirl to Wednesday before Riverdale and move Valor and Dynsty to Monday since they are both doing poorly and swap Arrow and SPN times.

That way they have Flash Legends Supergirl, Arrow and SPN but the probably dont want to lose Monday. Or they could swap Riverdale and Supergirl since Riverdale seems to be doing okay on its own.

• Love 1

Supergirl had a noticeable shift after moving to the CW and a lot of people weren`t too happy with a new character and romance last Season. It was kinda like Arrow ca. Season 4, they lost a sizeable amount of viewers and there was noticeable unhappiness with the Season. Both shows are less episodic in nature than SPN so they get hit harder when people dislike a storyline that is truly going on in each episode. 

It`s difficult to get viewers back after you lost them. I saw more positivity about Arrow Season 5 for example and people saying it returned to form somewhat but the ratings didn`t necessarily clumb back up. They simply stabilized. Still better than Vampire Diaries which was in a freefall for the last few years it aired.

Overall, the Berlanti-verse is still the most solid bet for the network in terms of a franchise.  

• Love 3

I tried getting into Supergirl, but couldn't do it. I initially watched the first episode when it premiered, but the "obnoxious girl-power" was off the charts annoying. Plus, that early in the series she was basically just a more annoying, more child-like Felicity. None of the characters interested me other than Cat, James was boring as hell, and Supergirl working for the government sealed it. I

I popped back over for the first Flash crossover and to be honest the chemistry between Flash and Supergirl was its only redeeming feature other than Cat quips.

I'm still aware of what goes on from comments I see online though. So from the outside looking in, Supergirl seems to have pissed of a lot of different portions of the audience at the same time:

1. Most shippers don't seem to like Kara/Mon-El. I don't see much support for it compared to Kara/Lena.

2. I hear it got way to political in the second half of season 2 and into season 3. I heard some posters say it got too anti-Trump and anti-conservative. Half of the country (and thus half of the show's potential audience) is conservative. Its not a wise move to insult the people watching your show. They'll leave.

3. I heard Supergirl was too angsty and played second fiddle to Mon-El, who apparently treated her like crap.

So it was a perfect storm of a bunch of different viewers with differing point-of-view's and somehow Supergirl's writers managed to anger them all.

9 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Supergirl had a noticeable shift after moving to the CW and a lot of people weren`t too happy with a new character and romance last Season. It was kinda like Arrow ca. Season 4, they lost a sizeable amount of viewers and there was noticeable unhappiness with the Season. Both shows are less episodic in nature than SPN so they get hit harder when people dislike a storyline that is truly going on in each episode. 

It`s difficult to get viewers back after you lost them. I saw more positivity about Arrow Season 5 for example and people saying it returned to form somewhat but the ratings didn`t necessarily clumb back up. They simply stabilized. Still better than Vampire Diaries which was in a freefall for the last few years it aired.

Overall, the Berlanti-verse is still the most solid bet for the network in terms of a franchise.  

Yeah I still watch it, but the show really changed for the worst and went from must watch to just habit viewing. I much prefer season 1, and I'm in the minority on that one I guess. 

Arrow and Legends have improved the most lately. But SPN actually is more enjoyable lately, and I didn't enjoy SPN for many seasons a while back.

But all network shows are dying with ratings, most DVR or stream. All the CW shows rate so much higher when you add DVR. 

It's a combo of Football and the Big Bang Theory that's hurting Supergirl IMO.  Monday Night Football was a good game (IMO).  And if you were an Eagles' fan, it was like a hot fudge sunday with whipped cream and a cherry.  Wentz (their quarterback) was just ON FIRE.  So... until November, I think Supergirl is going to suffer. But come November?  Kevin Can Wait and 9JKL are going to fade IMO and Supergirl will come back.

OTOH, I'm a little surprised at Supernatural's peformance against football.  Anything against a live football game is tough.  At least for Monday nights it's on ESPN.  For everything but NFL week 9, our boys are going up against CBS live broadcast.  Now kickoff usually happens at the bottom half of the hour and I could see some folks skipping pre-game (unless it's their team).  But I'll be interested to see if we hold up or take any hits on the half-hour split.  

This week (Week 8) it's Ravens vs Miami vs EP3.  Ravens are having kinda a dog do-do year.  And Miami's quarterback (who I personally find is a whiny little shit) is doubtful due to injury.  So, maybe not the best game.  It's the first week of Sweeps. And BLESSEDLY, we get one week in sweeps with potentially similar ratings.  THIS IS GOOD. 

Week 9 it's only on NFL network (that will help) vs EP4. HOWEVER, it's going up against the new dynamic duo of "The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon".  That could be VERY bad. 

Week 10 it's soft (IMO) teams vs EP5 but we now also have BBT/YS. 

Week 11 it's 2 conference leaders ... bigger challenge.. vs EP 6 but also BBT/YS

Week 12 it's Thanksgiving and we don't air and sweeps end the day before anyway. 

Week 13 it's Redskins vs Cowboys... that's usually a big deal, versus EP 7.  BUT we are out of sweeps.  

EP 3, EP 4, EP 5, EP 6  (the sweeps episodes)-- these four really are in fairly DECENT shape against football.  But it's BBT and Young Sheldon who could clean our clock for EP4/5/6.  They come back Nov 2nd and football shifts from CBS to NBC.  We are trading "Superstore/The Good Place" with their ~1.2/4M each for BBT/YS with ~3.8/12M EACH.  That's gonna hurt.  

Week 14 & Week 15 -- not blockbuster games, 15th looks more interesting (Broncos vs Colts) against EP 8 & EP 9 (start of two parter).

But the EP 10 (mid-season opener) is not up against football.  Still, it's back up against The Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon.  Not good.   

I'm not trying to be negative Nelly here.  People have to decide what they are going to watch in Real Time (comedy vs action).  How much do they need to be up-to-speed on BBT/YS for the watercooler vs Supernatural?  I suspect we lose a few.  OTOH, NO ONE wants to go against BBT/YS.  So, if you have to air something, Supernatural is the networks best shot at getting ANYTHING in that timezone.  You might legitimately get The Flash to perform well on Thursdays but I don't think they'll risk their biggest money maker.  And we will have ONE week of potentially better sweeps ratings before the Sheldons (young and older) smush us.  

Bottom Line;  I think we take a ratings hit starting 2 Nov. Likely below 2016. We were at the later slot in November last year.  I hope it's not as bad as Supergirl but I wouldn't be surprised.  Note: and I think this will have very little to do with the "quality" of a particular episode. It's predictable based on the competition alone. So... EP4, EP5, and EP6... expect a bit of a "nadir" to hit IMO.

Edited by SueB

Miami’s quarterback (who I personally find is a whiny little shit)

We in Chicago are so happy Jay Cutler, that whiny little shit, who was paid way too much to be such a whiny little shit, is no longer playing for the Bears!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SueB said:

OTOH, I'm a little surprised at Supernatural's peformance against football.  Anything against a live football game is tough.  At least for Monday nights it's on ESPN.  For everything but NFL week 9, our boys are going up against CBS live broadcast.  Now kickoff usually happens at the bottom half of the hour and I could see some folks skipping pre-game (unless it's their team).  But I'll be interested to see if we hold up or take any hits on the half-hour split.  

Funnily enough, I think the National Anthem protests going on in the NFL is actually helping Supernatural's ratings. I remember there being an article over the summer from USA Today stating that SPN was the #1 favorite show among republicans and the #3 favorite show among democrats. Seeing as the NFL is currently angering the republicans with the protests (I think the NFL is down 3 million viewers compared to last year), I wouldn't be surprised if some of those people switched over to watch SPN live instead of watching football.

Ah, Supernatural; the one common thread currently holding democrats and republicans together. 

How many dump-trucks of cash is the CW going to have to drive to Jensen' and Jared's doorsteps to keep them coming back year after year? With ratings this good, they can't afford to let SPN go.

Edit: Correction, it wasn't a USA Today article. It was here: Which TV Shows Do Republicans and Democrats Rate The Highest?

Amusingly, Supernatural also unites us with the Russians as well.

Supernatural may just bring about world peace. lol

Edited by Lord Kira
Correction, and adding link
  • Love 4

Unrounded numbers from last week (taken from Starfish on Arrow board)

The Flash 0.919

Supernatural 0.662

Riverdale 0.635

Arrow 0.539

Legends 0.488

Supergirl 0.486

Dynasty 0.274

Jane the Virgin 0.229

Valor 0.227

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend 0.203

Kind of interesting, 2nd week in a row that when we get to the full demo numbers Arrow ends up ahead of LoT/Supergirl and the 4th for the week. 

I love that SPN is a solid #2 for the network, after 13 years, being shit on by Dawn O, and getting yanked all over the schedule (except Monday's, I think).

My little show that could, I'm so proud of it and, the CW better back that dump truck of ??up to Jared/Jensen's houses.

• Love 4

Born and raised in London, England - I have no clue about American football - they seem to spend way too much time standing about.  Most homes have more than one TV, so if one partner is watching sports and the other is watching Supernatural and the household has a Nielsen box - I wonder which gets counted?  Maybe both?

Thing is - people don't have to watch live any more.  They can record and FF thru commercials (23 minutes worth now).  The whole way of viewing TV offerings is about to go thru some sort of paradigm shift I think.

Commercials are going to have to be inserted somehow.  Maybe the FF button will be disabled or more product placement (Dean swigging back a bottle of Jensen's beer -- lol).

34 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Commercials are going to have to be inserted somehow.  Maybe the FF button will be disabled or more product placement (Dean swigging back a bottle of Jensen's beer -- lol).

The CW already does this on some shows. Riverdale has awkward camera angles and closeups to focus on characters’ CoverGirl makeup. It’s super annoying.

Edited by Jeddah

Riverdale seems to suddenly be doing well in the ratings?  Jumped up quite a bit.  

I do wish they'd move Supernatural back to 9pm.  That timeslot works better with my life.  But I did read somewhere that 9pm on a Thursday evening is THE most expensive timeslot of the week.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Most homes have more than one TV, so if one partner is watching sports and the other is watching Supernatural and the household has a Nielsen box - I wonder which gets counted?  Maybe both?

I don't know if they're still using boxes.  I got a Nielsen survey one year--I was supposed to write down everything I watched (in 15-minute increments), noting if I switched to another channel even for 5 minutes.  It was a while ago so I don't think they were asking about DVRs.  I think they sent a survey to every adult in the household to allow for multiple TVs/viewing habits.  I think I annoyed them, since I rarely watch broadcast TV except the local news, so my sheet had a lot of reruns and odd channels like JTV (which I watch to help me sleep) and the "Encore" channels.  (And, of course, SPN on TNT multiple times each day!)  

4 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Most homes have more than one TV, so if one partner is watching sports and the other is watching Supernatural and the household has a Nielsen box - I wonder which gets counted?  Maybe both?

From what I understand each person in the household has their own pin/ID code.  That's how they track who watch's what, what demo they're in, etc. I think the box works on all TVs in the household but, I'm not sure on that.

1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

I don't know if they're still using boxes.  I got a Nielsen survey one year--I was supposed to write down everything I watched (in 15-minute increments), noting if I switched to another channel even for 5 minutes.

They still use boxes but, those are very limited. They Diary and Surveys go out to a greater audience but, I think that goes towards supplemental information not the Fast Nationals/Finals.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

From what I understand each person in the household has their own pin/ID code.  That's how they track who watch's what, what demo they're in, etc. I think the box works on all TVs in the household but, I'm not sure on that.

They still use boxes but, those are very limited. They Diary and Surveys go out to a greater audience but, I think that goes towards supplemental information not the Fast Nationals/Finals.

I have done the diaries too and each tv in the household gets it's own diary. 

Yeah I still watch it, but the show really changed for the worst and went from must watch to just habit viewing. I much prefer season 1, and I'm in the minority on that one I guess. 

From what I saw, I`d say you are in the majority. I didn`t hate Season 2 but Season 1 was overall much better written. 

Thing is - people don't have to watch live any more.  They can record and FF thru commercials (23 minutes worth now).  The whole way of viewing TV offerings is about to go thru some sort of paradigm shift I think.

Good, old product placement? That`s still hard to do without being too obvious. 

SPN is going against Big Bang soon? Hm. I believe there is some audience overlap so we`ll see. 

• Love 1

SPN was up against BBT after it shifted from Mondays last season as well - I don't recall if ratings changed or not.

I don't watch anything live anymore except This Is Us, only because I don't want to be spoiled for anything and it's impossible (for me) to be online and not see spoilers somewhere, and SPN, because I just can't not (yet).

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

Riverdale seems to suddenly be doing well in the ratings?  Jumped up quite a bit.  

I do wish they'd move Supernatural back to 9pm.  That timeslot works better with my life.  But I did read somewhere that 9pm on a Thursday evening is THE most expensive timeslot of the week.

They need to swap Arrow and SPN but I wonder if DC doesn't want Gotham and Arrow to cannibalize each other. I know it's different networks but still.

17 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Good, old product placement? That`s still hard to do without being too obvious

Isn't product placement paid for by the company doing the placement? So Jensen would pay for his beer to be in his show?

• Love 1

Isn't product placement paid for by the company doing the placement? So Jensen would pay for his beer to be in his show?

Normally yes. Though in the case of a the company being that of a principal actor, I`m not sure the show/network/studio wouldn`t forego the fee and work out some other deal. Or write it off as greasing wheels for contract negotiations. 

Well, you can see in week 2 a slight half hour dip.  

Again, for Sweeps:

26 Oct - SPN vs NFL and NBC's The Good Place and something else. -- our best shot at a good Sweep's numbers and probably why it's spin-off adjacent

2 Nov - It's SPN vs Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon (which is 98% retaining the audience).

9, 16  Nov - It's SPN vs Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon PLUS NFL on NBC (CBS and NBC split the season).

My hope: We stay about .5 in 18-49.  That's it.  And I think we'll be fine if we do.  And maybe lucky.  Not due to show quality but due to competition.  BUT, they put SPN there knowing it has the BEST CHANCE of keeping it's fandom.  It really is a massive vote of confidence.  Anything else in that spot would really suffer (except maybe Flash... but again, even Flash would lose numbers IMO but maybe not as much).  And I think the CW knows this.  

So... anything  .5 or above  for 9, and 16 November will be a big victory IMO.   

• Love 1

2 Nov - It's SPN vs Big Bang Theory and Young Sheldon (which is 98% retaining the audience).

To be fair though, Young Sheldon has only aired one episode (pilot, which aired before the new season of SPN began), so the retention numbers may not hold. I *love* BBT and never miss it, but I did not enjoy Young Sheldon at all, and won't be watching it.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Pondlass1 said:

I do wish they'd move Supernatural back to 9pm.  That timeslot works better with my life. 

I agree that 9 PM is better for me also... but not on Thursdays. I liked it better on Tuesday, Wednesday (sort of, because I also watch L&O: SVU), and believe it or not Fridays. I actually didn't mind it on 9 PM Friday. However, right now I not only have class (so my mom tapes SPN for me) but Project Runway is still going - with a few more weeks to go - so I watch the rest of that when I get home. Now generally there may not be much overlap between SPN and Project Runway audiences usually, but I've watched both from the beginning*** (Following PR on two different networks), and Project Runway was first (by a year, but we're in season 16). So for Thursday, I come home and watch the last hour of PR (it's a 90 minute episode), and then watch my SPN tape and then watch the first half hour of the PR rerun late night when it comes on. Things would get confusing for me now if SPN moved to 9 PM on Thursdays.

*** Much like SPN, Project Runway sucked me in with the very first season. I'd seen reality shows before - I watched some of the first season of Survivor (and that was it) - but this one sucked me in. Wendy Pepper ended up being one of the most surprising and interesting "villains" I'd ever seen on television (scripted or reality). Not often do you see a villain so subtle and surprising that other contestants unknowingly helped her in orchestrating their own downfall. Add onto that interesting challenges and personalities and I was hooked. And season 2 was just as good. There have been good and bad seasons since (this year has been pretty good), but there's generally something interesting... and some of the most amusing quotes I've ever seen on TV. Yeah, nothing to be done. Despite that I sometimes see the editing fairies, can disagree with the judges, and manipulation does occur,  PR has me until the end... I can't help it.

30 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Yeah, nothing to be done. Despite that I sometimes see the editing fairies, can disagree with the judges, and manipulation does occur,  PR has me until the end... I can't help it.

So what you're saying is that "You are in" :)

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Fast-Demo-2017-Oct-26.THU_.png

A 0.6 preliminary again! Here's hoping it'll adjust up again! The viewer count is definitely high :) 

THIS was the one I was hoping for.  The next three I anticipate a massive drop.  This was the best I think we'll get for sweeps.  And it's a SOLID perfomrance IMO.  I too hope for "up" vs "down" but will live with "steady" for finals.