Type keyword(s) to search

Rick And Morty - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Did Rick replace his body with a robotic one at some point in this series? That was some Inspector Gadget shit he pulled with his eye and later his wrist.  I'll admit I can never remember what happened in previous seasons, so maybe I'm missing something.

2 hours ago, cdnalor said:

Did Rick replace his body with a robotic one at some point in this series? That was some Inspector Gadget shit he pulled with his eye and later his wrist.  I'll admit I can never remember what happened in previous seasons, so maybe I'm missing something.

Rick has had cybernetic body parts for most of this show. I can't remember much of S1 or S2 but he definitely had them in S3 and later seasons. It's sorta an ongoing joke that he's Inspector Gadget.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

As pathetic a character as Jerry can be, he did not deserve this. It’s like the universe (or the writers) looked at his threesome with the Beths and decided to balance the scales. When Rick isn’t the worst character towards Jerry, it’s a painful episode. Luckily, it’s also funny as hell.

The family had a few hours to prepare for the zoo, and Morty and Summer prepared intricate humiliations for Jerry. That’s punching down.

Great concept with Fortune 500 and their ability to manipulate reality, countered by Rick’s ability to manipulate the odds against him at his enemies. As for that last scene . . . Rick is always one or two steps away from godhood. Why should Jerry spoiling that be something to get upset about?

On 10/3/2022 at 2:38 PM, Athena said:

Rick has had cybernetic body parts for most of this show. I can't remember much of S1 or S2 but he definitely had them in S3 and later seasons. It's sorta an ongoing joke that he's Inspector Gadget.

Don’t forget the occasional body-hopping spree. He’s basically the extended remix of the Ship of Theseus.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, cdnalor said:

I forgot which ep, maybe the one with Rick and Jerry on the death-proof planet, the security at a space port detected that Rick was significantly cybered and sedated him for the duration of the flight. 

• Useful 1
On 10/2/2022 at 11:07 PM, AnimeMania said:

Did that alien remind anyone else of the alien from Peacemaker?

Honestly, it reminded me of Futurama's Slurm queen.

On 10/2/2022 at 8:30 PM, Galileo908 said:

Yes, the theme to Taxi does indeed slap.

off-topic, but I've always loved the Souls of Mischief' "Cab Fare", which heavily sampled the Taxi theme.

• Like 1

S06.E06: JuRicksic Mort

They're back, broh.
Seemingly out of the blue, Earth's old rulers return. They make a great case for changing the way society does business, but Rick isn't going to put up with it.

Original Airdate: October 9, 2022    11pm    Adult Swim
Rick-and-Morty-_-S6E6-Sneak-Peek_-Dinosa
FeHmJv4WYAE3kk-?format=jpg&name=medium

47 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

605_7.jpg

That's not why I called, drugs can't solve this problem. As the President slips them into his pants pocket.
In the song: Fuck-off and Die-nosaurs

"Hey! Why didn't it hurt when they teleported us?"

I never knew how badly I needed a Lisa Kudrow voiced Tyrannosaurus rex in my life until I got it. 

Very fun episode, though as a dino-nerd I'm probably an easy audience for his.

• Love 3

There will be a Halloween Rick And Morty short, possibly Claymation, on October 30th.

"Summer's Sleepover"

An unexpected guest livens up Summer's sleepover party in this trippy horror short from Claymation filmmaker Lee Hardcastle.

6 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

That was probably the most meta episode of a show I’d seen.

I do love meta stuff, and Dan Harmon does too, even if he seems to have some justifiable self-loathing about it. Community was suffused with meta stuff, from minor asides like Abed talking about TV ("you're keeping us from being Friends") to full on episodes about Community (Documentary Filmmaking: Redux, Celebrity Pharmacology, Messianic Myths and Ancient Peoples). And see also this show, with episodes like the first story train episode, which was not only meta but actually featured Harmon's story circle concept.

(That said, Reboot on Hulu is also wonderfully meta, and so was She-Hulk: Attorney At Law)

I feel like Justin Roiland has about three voices: Rick, Morty, and Mr Poopybutthole. The latter voice shows up a LOT in smaller roles like the Interdimensional Cable, and it's also the Previous Leon guy. (And TBH, the Mr Poopybutthole voice is not that far from Morty.) But I had a hearty chuckle at "Previous Leon".

The episode was mostly just amusing but I laughed hard at the end when the writer guy pitched some absurdly narcissistic stuff and ghost Joseph Campbell looked on in horror.

(Sigh, Tag-man also has that third Roiland voice.)

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

🎵🎵“He trrrrrrrrrried to kill me with a forklift! Ole!” 🎶 

I cannot be the only one thinking that.

Cookie Magneto? I’m thinking maybe the rest of the season is meta.

”Jerry died doing what he loved: gettin’ stung by bees.” Classic.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Most voice actors have three, four voices at most. But it’s really noticeable in shows like this where those are the majority of voices you hear.

Yeah but this show in particular can cast basically whoever they want! The guest cast list is always stacked! I think it's detrimental that so many of the characters end up sounding like that third Roiland voice and I can't imagine they're doing it due to budgetary constraints.

• Love 1

It started with Rick fighting Mr. Nimbus again, and taking potshots at The Tick, and got crazier from there.

We see what happens when Jerry gets superpowers and popularity while Rick just stands around and lets it happen. The only person who could lose to a fight with Jerry: a villain who shoots piss. I knew that Rick would somehow become Pissmaster the moment the guy got his ass kicked. Rick's starting to get a heart...which of course backfires in his face when he confesses everything to Morty. Gross, but totally well within this show's wheelhouse.

I liked Dr. Wong being a good foil to Rick. Yeah, the timeline where Rick finally goes to therapy is the one where Jerry becomes Iron Man. You gotta wonder what an earlier season Rick would think of this one.

• Love 1
On 11/20/2022 at 9:52 PM, AnimeMania said:

S06.E07: Full Meta Jackrick

A brain wrinkler.

Wow! I'm going to have to rewatch this one.

I also need to look up Joseph Campbell b/c I don't think they were talking about the founder of Mormonism.

BTW, who was that after the credits? 

On 11/21/2022 at 7:08 AM, Lantern7 said:

🎵🎵“He trrrrrrrrrried to kill me with a forklift! Ole!” 🎶 

I cannot be the only one thinking that.

Ohhh, I immediately thought that! 🤣

10 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I also need to look up Joseph Campbell b/c I don't think they were talking about the founder of Mormonism.

BTW, who was that after the credits?

Joseph Campbell was an American writer and academic whose work on storytelling, religion and mythology has heavily influenced film and TV. He is a direct influence on George Lucas and Star Wars and Dan Harmon on R&M and Community. Harmon even VAs him in this episode. 

The credit character is Tag man. A tag is a scene in the post-credits. He lives in the tag literally in the post credits scene. Justin Roiland also sounded like he was completely improvising this scene as well.

• Love 1
On 11/28/2022 at 8:46 AM, Harvey said:

Props to the show for showing a realistic suicide scene and not turning it into a joke, most other adult cartoons wouldn’t be able to do that.

Also showing how that would affect your loved ones.  

I wasn't a fan of the meta episode but this one was one of my favorites.  It adds a lot of layers to Rick's personality.  

Question: has there been a preview with the cold open for tonight’s episode? I’m getting flashbacks to when something similar happening with Primal, and that was because they didn’t want to spoil the shift to 19th Century England.

I like Dr. Wong. I wouldn’t want her all the time, but I liked her calmness with Rick, even when he had an off-brand magical imp in a jar next to him, draining him of his magic juices.

On 11/28/2022 at 8:46 AM, Harvey said:

Props to the show for showing a realistic suicide scene and not turning it into a joke, most other adult cartoons wouldn’t be able to do that.

And they had the PSA at the end. Makes me wonder if past episodes could have used those.

I think there is a similar vibe as It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia, in that the characters aren’t allowed to grow or learn lessons. Jerry became a credible alpha male sans raging ego, Rick learned to ignore the yahoos gunning for him . . . and all progress was blown up because Rick had to tell Morty about Pissmaster’s suicide. And I don’t think he was being an asshole about it. He just needed to tell someone. Morty was a wrong someone. Truth be told, any of the Smiths would have blabbed to the others.

The Orb people were assholes. Of course they got intrigued by Mr. Nimbus in the tag. He does control the police, though.

• Love 1

Man, early season Morty would not have been so snappy at Rick. And outright refuse a mythical quest.

The sun knights cut off their penises to be a part of their cult. And that was only five minutes in. And of course their existence kept the solar system in peace. Fitting that Rick called Pluto "Jerry League Shit," and nobody from Pluto was even at the Solar System meeting.

Huh, like Father like son that Morty had to (and refused to) cut off his penis to save the universe. And Rick and Morty got out of it by pulling a Vat of Acid when they tossed themselves into the sun. Love it.

Next time: Interdimensional Christmas!

7 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Huh, like Father like son that Morty had to (and refused to) cut off his penis to save the universe. And Rick and Morty got out of it by pulling a Vat of Acid when they tossed themselves into the sun. Love it.

I guess it was fun that the show referenced it out loud, not just mentioning Vat of Acid but having the Sun people reference it too, but... it still felt like a lazy mashup of those two episodes, albeit with a more supportive, less cruel Rick.

6 hours ago, arc said:

I guess it was fun that the show referenced it out loud, not just mentioning Vat of Acid but having the Sun people reference it too, but... it still felt like a lazy mashup of those two episodes, albeit with a more supportive, less cruel Rick.

I think that was the point.  Vat of Acid Rick was pretty close to Rick at his worst.  So seeing similar story beats but with a supportive Rick is designed to show how Rick has changed.  I loved how Morty not buying into this whole Knights of the Sun ended up spiraling out into crazy GoT territory.  Also loved the musical references when the Knights were in the heroin den (Mr Browstone is a great GnR song that imo doesn't get enough air play).  

Personally, I like this new side to Rick.  Seeing Rick finally admit to himself that he actually cares about the family is nice.  I also like how Rick can still be an a-hole but you can see him attempting to become a better person.  It makes him feel like a more 3D character.  We've seen growth from Beth, Morty and even Jerry.  I'm hoping the show does more with Summer next season.  

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Matt K said:

Personally, I like this new side to Rick.  Seeing Rick finally admit to himself that he actually cares about the family is nice.  I also like how Rick can still be an a-hole but you can see him attempting to become a better person.  It makes him feel like a more 3D character.  We've seen growth from Beth, Morty and even Jerry.  I'm hoping the show does more with Summer next season.  

Same. This is a large fandom and I think there are lots of people who are divided about this and prefer Rick to remain that static asshole god-scientist. While that was fun for awhile, I prefer it when the show uses the adventures to go deep about the characters and relationships.

This recent episode was probably not my favourite of the season but it really shows you how much Rick has changed since one season ago. Rick and Morty broke up and called out their toxic relationship in S5. Since then Morty has been much more questioning of Rick.  Rick's theme this season is that the family matters and he can be caring and maybe even change. He actually went to therapy and the Analyze Piss episode showed him doing something selfless for strangers.

I think Morty's reluctance to trust this Rick is understandable considering the Vat of Acid episode and all their adventures. It is hard to trust Rick and this episode was from Mortiy's POV rather than Rick's. This episode showed a lot of progression on their relationship even from earlier in the season.

• Like 1

S06.E10: Ricktional Mortpoon's Rickmas Mortcation

(Season Finale)

Morty's always wanted a certain gift for Christmas, but never gets it. This might be the year that Rick finally caves.

Merry Rickmas, broh.

Original Airdate: December 11, 2022    11pm    Adult Swim
rick-and-morty-season-6-finale-watch-chr

Of course making the sounds is half the fun of owning a lightsaber. And yeah, dropping it straight down would eventually cause it to reach the Earth's core. And then a second, AI-controlled lightsaber goes off to massacre people.

And oh man, Nice Rick really WAS a robot the whole time. At least since the last episode.

"America, transform and roll out!"

...says the president after giving a whole spiel about Star Wars. Of course he steals the lightsaber for himself, and he dropped it. Unpleasable Star Wars fans ruined Star Wars. Disney just made mid shows with that franchise.

Mr. Poopybutthole got buff! And then his legs are crushed trying to squat 300lbs. I hope we see him again (we will).

So who knows how long it's gonna take for our favorite duo to find Rick Prime? We still have a bunch of seasons to go on that giant episode order we got a while back.

10 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

S06.E10: Ricktional Mortpoon's Rickmas Mortcation (Season Finale)

Morty's always wanted a certain gift for Christmas, but never gets it. This might be the year that Rick finally caves.

Yeah, I kinda wondered what would happen if you dropped a Star Wars light saber. I loved the President's summary of Star Wars, too. Wow, so Nice Rick was a robot since last episode? It killed me that he wanted everyone to know so he would "die" but was programmed to deny it. They are continuing the tradition of making Rick rant about what they're going to do while foaming at the mouth and spitting fleck of spit all over.

6 hours ago, Galileo908 said:

Mr. Poopybutthole got buff! And then his legs are crushed trying to squat 300lbs. I hope we see him again (we will).

I thought Mt Poopybutthole broke his neck doing that squat lift. His trainer seemed suspicious to me. 😃

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Yeah, I kinda wondered what would happen if you dropped a Star Wars light saber.

It probably would have ruined this episode's plot, but I vaguely understand canonically many lightsabers automatically switch off when dropped or when the wielder dies. Fans have speculated that this is probably achieved by needing to keep the button pressed continuously. (And then further speculated that thrown lightsabers stay on if desired because the user keeps the button pressed with the Force.)

I'm not super tired of evil Rick, but I'd also be happy if that storyline wraps up next season.

The President should probably be termed out by the time Morty can vote, right? I guess if this is somehow actually his first year it would just be barely possible for Morty to turn 18 and vote for his re-election. Or, more likely, there's no term limits here somehow. Which is fine, cause it's not like I wanted Rick and Morty's take on any other real world presidents.

48 minutes ago, arc said:

The President should probably be termed out by the time Morty can vote, right? I guess if this is somehow actually his first year it would just be barely possible for Morty to turn 18 and vote for his re-election. Or, more likely, there's no term limits here somehow. Which is fine, cause it's not like I wanted Rick and Morty's take on any other real world presidents.

That did occur to me as well, but maybe the "Parmeezian Universe" president doesn't have term limits.