Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Love Is a Mix Tape

maraleia
  • Start Topic

I enjoy the glimpses of Adam F. Goldberg's actual childhood at the end of each episode, but how can this example be reconciled with the fact that the real-life Dana's name is "Amanda"?  He told The Hollywood Reporter the following:

In the beginning, there were a lot of legal concerns about using real people. So Dana Caldwell is really Amanda Caldwell. Everyone had had concerns that it was so autobiographical. I changed her name, and then she Facebooked me and was happy and excited. That's my biggest regret: That I didn't use the real person's name. It still bothers me. I wish I had embraced the autobiographical nature of the show earlier. After that, I started doing Dave Kim and all these other people that were real. Some of them I hadn't talked to in years. I decided to reach out to people, like my best friend Emmy "Muscles" Mirsky, asking if I could tell some of these great stories. Initially, that wasn't going to be my plan, but I learned my lesson by changing it and having the actual person reach out to me and ask, "Why don't you just use my name?"

I realize that replacing "Amanda" with "Dana" is easier than explaining that her name was changed for the series, but does this mean that "Adam's actual tape" (including the audio) was fabricated?  I don't doubt that one existed in real life, but did any part of it show up tonight?

Edit: Never mind.  Adam F. Goldberg's Twitter account (which I should have checked in the first place) provided the answer.  In previous episodes, the "Dana Caldwell" character was based on Amanda Caldwell, but tonight's story was inspired by an event involving a different girl, Dana Marlowe (unless that's her married name, in which case she was Dana [something else]).  Evidently, he combined their names (and eventually their personae).

Edited by Rowsdower

Holy David Spade in a pervy little beard, that was good!

So I prepped for the show.  Pants dropped, Murray style, and sitting on a recliner facing the TV.  SO glad the best comedy on TV is back.  And if this is any indication it hasn't lost a step. 

And Beverly and Barry?  As Cringetastic (Cringetacular?) as ever.  But most importantly the show never forgets in the end that we're supposed to actually like these people and be really touched by these stories. This show does "awwww" stories better than just about anyone.

I love you, show.

I love everything about this show but especially anything with Barry or Beverly. I hope the ratings are better this season. I'd hate to see this show cancelled.

If this show doesn't get at least five or six seasons, then that will be a sign that something is terribly wrong with modern TV, as well as modern society. And this is coming from someone who overall is not a big fan of most sitcoms. This show, and Brooklyn 99 (slightly in second place to this, but very close) are about it for me currently (at least since The Neighbors got cancelled). Edited by Kromm
  • Love 3

I was a teenagers in suburban Philadelphia in the 80s.  I can't believe it took me this long to catch this show.  Mr shipmate and I had discussing the art of the mix tape and how if you had a boom box with 2 cassette slots (for easy copying of course) that meant your family had money!

Going on my must watch list (after the Middle)! 

• Love 1

I did like the episode, and I love the show, but I have to admit I found it a bit freaky, even given the mom's tendencies, to actually think the mix tape was for her.  

That said, when she explained herself to her dad later on it came together in a sweet way.  

Barry certainly is not the brightest light, is he?  yes, I am sure you can pass off your dad's ID in a small town like that at a local business.  He is something else!  :-)

I was confused by that big wad of cash that Barry was given to buy the beer (remember that big stack of beer that he was trying to buy? ) and him coming to the frat house with only two bags of sandwiches.

I know.....    .I'm overthinking it.  lol

Mixture tape! The real tape at the end and the real fake ID--my goodness, is there anything this family didn't keep?

Those guys are going to want their beer money back.

I like how Barry knew that calling for his dad three times was key. He's not completely dumb!

• Love 3

Points for mentioning Wawa, points off for talking about buying beer at the Wawa. It's a beer distributer or nothin' in 1980s PA. Or so my hazy 1980s memory is telling me. I remember buying beer at a deli (no fake ID needed - they didn't card) but I just don't remember Wawa selling beer.

• Love 2

Ah, the mix tape. I got a few of those back in the day. Left my favorite one in a rental car. I wish I had them now.  Another great episode. Loved the laser light show and the fake id. I am a huge fan of David Spade, so I squeed when I saw him. He was awesome, as usual.

Ah, my show is back.  I love how Adam never wants to hurt his mom's feelings (and he is afraid of her).  That Beverly would think her son made her a mix tape is just so in character for her.  And I loved the end, with the laser lights.  This show makes me long for my teenage years in a good way.  Mixtapes were the ultimate in "I love you" back then.  When a boy you like gave you one, it was just the best feeling ever.  Who else remembers playing those tapes over and over and swooning?  LOL

• Love 3

Those guys are going to want their beer money back.

I was thinking the same thing.  I also did not understand how Murray's involvement helped make Barry "the hero".  They pretended that he had beer in the bags (not sandwiches) and then Murray "busted" him and made him leave with the beer.  If I was one of the guys at the party who was out money and also had no beer to show for it, I certainly would not have considered Barry "a hero".

My fake ID got me into a lot of bars and clubs in the 70's and 80's.  Then again, the drinking age was 18 AND no one cared if you showed them a fake ID...they just needed to see any kind of ID so that they were not liable.  Times have changed.

ETA - LOVE the show...have been watching since day 1...hope it gets some traction.

Edited by dogfish

I thought it was a super cute episode, and a great way to start off the season. This is still my favorite comedy on air. 

Beverly thinking that the "mixture tape" was for her hit a little close to home. I have an older sister and, as a kid, I found her diary which was scribbled with "I <3 David" all over it. Having also been named David, I was convinced that my sister just really, really loved me! It was only later that I realized she had a crush on a boy in high school also named David. Whoops!

But, yea, my favorite part (and most laugh-out-loud moment) came at the Lazerium when the big-haired, blonde angel took the two cherubs under its gigantic wings. It was just so perfectly Beverly. 

• Love 4

I was thinking the same thing.  I also did not understand how Murray's involvement helped make Barry "the hero".  They pretended that he had beer in the bags (not sandwiches) and then Murray "busted" him and made him leave with the beer.  If I was one of the guys at the party who was out money and also had no beer to show for it, I certainly would not have considered Barry "a hero".

It's a "fight the power" kind of thing.  The sell here is that those other guys presumably had been shut down by parents in the past and so supported Big Tasty as an embodiment of their own issues.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

I also love this show.  They manage to hit all the right notes with the family - they drive each other crazy, but you can also tell they actually care about each other.  So many shows go too far in one direction, or the two sides don't seem to blend together as well as they do here.  And I remember well when my younger brother was at "that age" and pulling away from my mom, and while she wasn't quite as over the top as Beverly is, it rings very true!  I think Barry is the least likable (for me), and I find even him mostly amusing.  

And oh, the days of the mix tape!  Not too long ago, my parents (finally) cleaned out their garage and sent me a couple boxes of all my old stuff.  I found several mix tapes in there, and now I'm motivated to buy a tape player so I can hear what's on them!  

• Love 1

Points for mentioning Wawa, points off for talking about buying beer at the Wawa. It's a beer distributer or nothin' in 1980s PA. Or so my hazy 1980s memory is telling me. I remember buying beer at a deli (no fake ID needed - they didn't card) but I just don't remember Wawa selling beer.

Yep, Philly girl here (now in Orlando)....I hate myself for being picky about the local references in shows, but I can't help myself.

I always give this show major points for the references to Wawa, Lee's Hoagie House, the hometown teams, the street names, the Tastykakes in the kitchen.  I even think this episode may have shown the equivalent of the Fels Planetarium (at the Franklin Institute).  But I do deduct points for the mid-western accents (it's okay, I know the Philly accent is ugly and weird; can't blame them for not using it), the Wawa set resembles an icky 7-11 (everyone knows that Wawa has that special mixture of elite and everyman, with a level of cleanliness no 7-11 has ever known), and beer and liquor can't be purchased at Wawa.  For beer, go to the distributor or get "package goods" at a bar or restaurant with a license.  For liquor, you have to go to "the state store," a.k.a. the Wine & Spirits Shop that's run by the Liquor Control Board. 

My ridiculousness aside, I love this show.

• Love 1

, the Wawa set resembles an icky 7-11 (everyone knows that Wawa has that special mixture of elite and everyman, with a level of cleanliness no 7-11 has ever known), and beer and liquor can't be purchased at Wawa. For beer, go to the distributor or get "package goods" at a bar or restaurant with a license. For liquor, you have to go to "the state store," a.k.a. the Wine & Spirits Shop that's run by the Liquor Control Board.

My ridiculousness aside, I love this show.

Hee.. that might be my favorite description of wawa ever. I know there is no beer in Wawa in PA (or NJ where I'm from) especially in the 80s but I'very been to one in Virginia that did have beer.

• Love 1