Type keyword(s) to search

"The Daily Show": Week of 9/29/14

9/29: Matt Bai (author – promoting book “All the Truth Is Out: The Week Politics Went Tabloid”)
9/30: Ben Affleck (actor & director – promoting movie “Gone Girl”)
10/1: Lena Dunham (actress & author – promoting book “Not That Kind of Girl”)
10/2: Ben Steele (filmmaker – promoting documentary “Hunted: The War Against Gays in Russia”)

I'll be interested to see if Jon tries to pry out any spoilers/secrets from Ben Affleck about the Superman v Batman movie.

Hah! I was just coming in here to say, I bet Jon will try to get Affleck to talk about this movie that should totally be about Superman and shouldn't have Batman in it (but that's another rant for another thread), and the backlash/fanboy wars over his casting.

• Love 1

So Jack Kingston is out the door and gave the Republican game plan away. Nice. Hey lazy ass media, you gonna call the GOP out on their cynical methods? Or are you gonna crawl into a ball, suck your thumbs, and hope it goes away?

Let that be a lesson to the One Direction dummkopfs. Don't cross Jon by whining about a joke he made about your precious, talentless little shits that was taken out of context, or he'll really give you something to cry about.

• Love 2

I have not seen the episode yet but found these backstage photographs on Twitter this morning.

@wiki_syria: Jon with Hadi al Bahra.

@SyriaUN: Jon looking at the book.

@AmalHanano: what Hadi al Bahra wrote in Jon's book:

Dear Jon, Thank you for your concern & attention for the plight of the people named in this book & for their desire for freedom. Let us always remember them. Yours Truly, Hadi al Bahra. 09-28-2014

Edited by Fremde Frau

I had no idea Jack Kingston lost his primary, and I must say, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. He's been on Bill Maher's panel several times, and he's one of those really annoying, disingenuous types who smiles a lot during his bullshit. 

Hadi al Bahra looked like he was on the verge of tears at times. Anyone watch the extended interview?

• Love 1

Hadi al Bahra looked like he was on the verge of tears at times. Anyone watch the extended interview?

I don't watch aired interviews, if there's an extended interview available. It was interesting the guy is obviously pretty passionate about what's going on. I learned some facts about the conflict that I don't think I really heard or read about elsewhere. The book he brought out at the end is just depressing (I think it's just a list of the first 100,000 people who have died). Jon did get one laugh out of him before the end of the interview.

• Love 1

Hah! I was just coming in here to say, I bet Jon will try to get Affleck to talk about this movie that should totally be about Superman and shouldn't have Batman in it (but that's another rant for another thread), and the backlash/fanboy wars over his casting.

Ben Affleck is always funny in interviews especially on The Daily Show. Even in the midst of all the JLo and Gigli he was very entertaining and self-effacing.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/zbshxv/ben-affleck

I had no idea Jack Kingston lost his primary, and I must say, it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. He's been on Bill Maher's panel several times, and he's one of those really annoying, disingenuous types who smiles a lot during his bullshit.

IMonrey,

It was difficult to tell he lost, even though Maher mentioned it on his show last week, since he, Kingston, was still being his asshole self.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule

So Jon's going to talk about Ebola arriving on American soil tomorrow. Should be a good one. :(

I hate the way Congress does nothing. Correction, I hate the way Republicans in Congress don't do fuck all for their own benefit. Jon's not too far off updating the "I'm Just A Bill" cartoon short.

Ollie was better at mocking Modi's "may the force be with you" speech on the recent LWT. But Jon was better at explaining the real reason for his popularity. At this point in time, would any sane person really want to be called the next Ronald Reagan?

Yes Ben Affleck. We Canadians remember your movie about Iran called "Argo". And none too well I may add. Interesting to see Jon try to unspoil the Batman/Superman movie. When Jon said that Superman was no joke, I thought he was going to say "He's no Joker".

Intelligence is an endangered species with you around, Sarah Palin.

Anybody else in the mood to hear "Midterm Elections"? I'm disappointed that TDS mocking Schoolhouse Rock didn't become a regular thing.

Speaking of Stephen . . . he slam-dunked the alley-oop from Jon, in regards to Sarah Palin and 1400 Pennsylvania Ave. Has a Moment of Zen ever become immediate fodder for TCR?

• Love 1

So Jon's going to talk about Ebola arriving on American soil tomorrow

I hope he touches on the background and talks about how the American white doctors were evacuated earlier while the black doctor was left to die in Africa

• Love 1

There was someone in the audience with a weird, annoying laugh.

I usually don't go see a movie the day it comes out, but I might with Gone Girl. I read the book and couldn't imagine how they'd adapt it for the screen, but with all the raves they must have done well. Plus, the author wrote the screenplay.

I was hoping to see some mention of the Umbrella Revolution in Hong Kong. On Monday I can understand it might have been too little time for them to put anything at all together. On Tuesday they would rather do a long thing about bills? Okay, the bill blowing its brains out was funny, but come on, that material could have been saved for a slow news day later on.

When Jon was talking about how no world leader ever drew 20,000 people for anything, I couldn't help but think "I'll see your 20,000 and raise you 80,000 (possibly more) protesting on the streets of Hong Kong". It's pretty rife with material, particularly China's conspiracy theory that the U.S. is secretly behind the protest. As if the U.S. need to light another fire when there's already ISIS and ebola to deal with. And then there was the cop who tapped an elderly man on the arm to get him to turn around so that he can pepper-spray him directly in the face. It's just stuff that's crying out to be on the show.

• Love 1

They didn't cover anything I wanted them to cover, yet I ended up enjoying the episode quite a lot. That segment on Congress was perfect.

Is Affleck a friend of Jon's or a friend of the show? That interview felt like one of his bullshitting sessions with Leary or someone, rather than the usual sort of haphazard interview with actors he doesn't know quite as well. Or maybe they just have good chemistry. Anyway, I enjoyed that, too, even though I'm not particularly a fan of Affleck.

• Love 1

Does congress actually think they're fooling anyone? What exactly are they going to debate? They aren't going to pass any sort of resolution endorsing Obama's proposal to combat ISIS. And Obama is within his authority in ordering the bombings. Congress was bitching that he didn't act soon enough, now they want to have a debate on it. 

• Love 1

I don't know whether or not to find it charming that Affleck discusses a multi-Oscar winning movie as if it's being treated like chopped liver. I bought it in the moment, but on further reflection, maybe not.

I don't mind the 'fleck in general. He seems to not take himself so seriously (and he did an hysterical Keith Olbermann when he did SNL). Once he was done with the Gwyneth/J-Lo days, he seems to be okay.

I think it was Jason singing as Just a Bill; he did well, I think!

• Love 1

Does actually congress think they're fooling anyone? What exactly are they going to debate? They aren't going to pass any sort of resolution endorsing Obama's proposal to combat ISIS. And Obama is within his authority in ordering the bombings. Congress was bitching that he didn't act soon enough, now they want to have a debate on it. 

When Congress has a 90 percent return rate as a result of elections, when the House will be safely in Republicans grubby hands for another two years and a real chance of taking the Senate as well, then nothing will ever get done. And the kabuki bullshit act will continue in Washington.

Does congress actually think they're fooling anyone?

Probably not, but they also don't care. Sadly, voters don't seem to care either.

Here in Florida they interviewed people about the governor race and many said they did not like Rick Scott, that he had not done much, that he did not deserve to be reelected, but they will vote for him (the same goes for our asshole in the House. Has done nothing, people know that and vote for him anyway)

With voters like this, Congress doesn't even have to pretend 

• Love 2

Why would you ever turn off that alarm? That it's sounding all the time is a warning to check it, either for malfunctions or for activity, not to ignore it. Although I would suppose their tech and security guys did check it however many times. But why would you ever then throw up your hands and turn it off? Stupid.

I try not to be on edge about something happening to Obama, but there is so much gun-waving racism now thriving under the flag of false patriotism, that it's been hard to shake that uneasiness in the back of my mind since 2008. I hate that feeling. Maybe it's exaggerated for me, given that I live in a very small Georgia town that isn't so far removed from Jim Crow sentiments.

• Love 2

I try not to be on edge about something happening to Obama, but there is so much gun-waving racism now thriving under the flag of false patriotism, that it's been hard to shake that uneasiness in the back of my mind since 2008. I hate that feeling. Maybe it's exaggerated for me, given that I live in a very small Georgia town that isn't so far removed from Jim Crow sentiments.

Right after the '08 election BBC World Service was interviewing people all across the States, talking about how historic the election was, etc., etc.  One woman - an African American in Ohio (I think it was Ohio) - was interviewed in a mall parking lot.  She spoke about how happy she was that Obama won.  The last thing she said before driving off was "Of course they'll kill him, you know."  Totally matter of fact; no emphasis on the "of course" or any other part of the sentence, as if she was resigned to this and had thought long and hard about it.

• Love 1

I hadn't watched any of the Pierson testimony before seeing it here. She strikes me as....not very smart. Which surprises me; even when people who testify to Congress are dissembling liars who lie, there's usually a baseline of articulateness that seemed missing here. (That she's a Ladyperson who's failed rather significantly is also giving me the sads; like the wingnuts need any more excuses to deny rights...)

even when people who testify to Congress are dissembling liars who lie, there's usually a baseline of articulateness that seemed missing here.

I hate to sound so cynical, but I don't think those hearings are supposed to unearth or resolve anything. Fact-finding, my ass. They're so that Congress can huff and puff and be indignant about whatever the topic is.

Pierson didn't do herself any favors, that's for sure, but she also inherited a dysfunctional agency that has endemic problems.

Jon seemed really charmed by Lena Dunham. Good for her for being so successful at a young age, but I don't get what's special about her. Maybe I'm too old and bitter.

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 2
They're so that Congress can huff and puff and be indignant about whatever the topic is.

You know this is true when one of the congressmen/women pulls the "ask hugely loaded question and then say answer me yes or no."

Although I don't think it was intended, but the secretive service chief was so awful in the hearings that she got fired for it. If you're at the point where you have to go to hearings, I would think you know your job is on the line. Of course, I'm sure the SS probably needs more money and there's no way that's going to happen.

Good for her for being so successful at a young age, but I don't get what's special about her.

I thought the same thing. She seemed nice, but from what she said, it looks like being her friend takes a lot of work. I haven't seen her show, so I don't know if it's that groundbreaking, but it sounds like a typical 20 something cynical pov. Maybe because it's a largely female cast that it stands out more. 

Jon seemed really charmed by Lena Dunham. Good for her for being so successful at a young age, but I don't get what's special about her. Maybe I'm too old and bitter.
Right there with you.
  • Love 1

I don't want to put words in Jon's mouth (and I haven't seen any of Dunham's work outside of chatshow appearances), but I think it's kind of awesome that such a young woman has the stones to run her own jam. Most other ambitious women have to put their time in the showbiz grinder: dieted, madeover, dictated to. But right out of the gate, she controls her own art*. I think that's a big honking deal. So even though I don't watch her stuff (and fully enjoy her Fugtastic red carpet appearances), she gets thumbs up from me.

*I understand there's some nepotism stuff  or some such going on with how she got her start, so maybe she's not sprung forth fully formed from the sea, but she's still a young woman, and even young women with good connections more often than not don't get to have Dunham's autonomy. I can't think of any example at all, in fact.

• Love 4

Is she any different than someone like Jennifer Lawrence though? I don't think anyone is begrudging her success, just that she's not super unique, which is more the media than her. It sounds like the show is about a character who is unlikable. That's not exactly new.

Jon didn't mention that she didn't want to pay people involved with her book tour either.

• Love 1

AFAIK, Lawrence doesn't write/direct/produce/showrun. So, yeah: different.

Bingo. With all we've complained about here in regards to the lack of women not just behind the scenes or on screen on TDS but in general in any business, Lena Dunham is someone who took the connections she had and with natural talent was able to make something great. She takes no BS from people, doesn't conform to standards despite being insulted way beyond what's acceptable (ie. people who continually call her fat in insanely derogatory ways), does things her way, and has had immense success. From someone relatively young, a woman succeeding in a very male dominated world, it's pretty amazing and she deserves all the accolades. 

• Love 6

Same as it was when the Democrats controlled the House of Representatives for forty years. It's not a "this or that" party problem, it's an incumbent problem and a lazy/low-voter turnout problem that results in keeping the same living corpses in control for indefensible stretches of time.

It didn't hurt Republicans though to win the House in the 2010 midterms, which was on a census year, which allowed them to redraw the electoral map to their advantage in a big way that resulted in them retaining the House in 2012 despite the Democrats outvoting them in that area. And I don't believe Congress was as awful back then as they are today with the Tea Party influenced GOP.

It would seem that the Home Alone plan to protect the president would be a much better option than letting the gang of idiots in the Secret Service protecting him at this point in time.

• Love 2

Jon always shows the ridiculous hypocrisies of politicians and people who get all hysterical over the unrealistic hypothetical but don't do jack shit over the absolute reality. You'd think by now they'd fell shame by their attitude, but no!

Sounds to me you need more than sunlight to stop these violent creeps in Russia from preying on gays and violently attacking them. This goes all the way to Putin and his megalomaniacal ignorance.

• Love 1

I think I'll watch that documentary, but it's going to be tough. One thing I wonder is how the filmmaker managed to stand by while people were being assaulted. I know that's what documentarians do, and it's important for us to expose things like this to the light, but I still wish Jon had asked the guy about it.

I loved Jessica's segment.

I would love to see that documentary. I've heard about all the homophobic things that happen in Russia and I remember the TDS clip and TCR clip that dealt with it. But just hearing about the details was sickening. I wonder if VICE news would consider doing a thing about it as well.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1

Yeah, I once thought of the correspondents as an equal group of awesome back when Al, Aasif, and John were still around, but I think it's safe to say that Jessica has pulled well ahead of the current pack. She is probably my favorite comedian on the show right now, Jon included. I really hope she gets that show of her dreams that she's mentioned in interviews. She deserves to be a major star.

• Love 4

Yeah, I once thought of the correspondents as an equal group of awesome back when Al, Aasif, and John were still around, but I think it's safe to say that Jessica has pulled well ahead of the current pack. She is probably my favorite comedian on the show right now, Jon included. I really hope she gets that show of her dreams that she's mentioned in interviews. She deserves to be a major star.

Yes, she's a huge highlight of the show any time she's on these days.

Edited by whack-a-mole
  • Love 2

"Although that's redundant" made me laugh through my tears of rage. Go, Jess!

Ditto.  That was a great piece all around.  She seemed genuinely appalled when that woman said she'd been harrassed on a sight-seeing cruise.

The only place I've seen Lena Dunham is on TDS but even I have an vague negative view of her, apparently based on skimming internet stories about her, so I was glad Jon made me acknowledge the unfairness of that.  And I really liked her dress.

The only place I've seen Lena Dunham is on TDS but even I have an vague negative view of her, apparently based on skimming internet stories about her, so I was glad Jon made me acknowledge the unfairness of that.  And I really liked her dress.

I, too, have a negative view of her -- despite having never seen an episode of her show or a full interview with her.  I've heard a variety of arguments that Lena Dunham is treated unfairly by the media because she is a young woman. However, just from the original commercials for Girls, her awards acceptance speeches, and her tweets, I have to say she's created my negative view all on her own.  Now, obviously, those are small, decontextualized snapshots of who she is but... blergh she bugs.

After reading the comments above about what she's achieved, I guess I'll place Dunham in the same sort of category as Lucille Ball (although it's a bit early on for that): I admire what she's achieved but don't like the content much.

After reading the comments above about what she's achieved, I guess I'll place Dunham in the same sort of category as Lucille Ball (although it's a bit early on for that): I admire what she's achieved but don't like the content much.

I'd say more like Joan Rivers -- she may be a groundbreaking comedienne but appears to be a total bitch.

Topic... the street harassment piece was genius.  Although, either Toronto is a lot more polite than NYC or I have a serious bitchface because I think I've only had one incident like that.