Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: The Accessory Wall

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

His suit/tux could have been made on PR, what with the blasted asymetrical jacket (and what's with those shoes!), and her with the overexposed breasts.  

For this, I have to bust out a Tim Gunn quote: "That's a whole lotta look."

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, aquarian1 said:

Priyanka Chopra is a beautiful woman.  Why oh why did she wear that dress?  It actually makes her look bad, except for her face & hair.  Yikes.

image.thumb.png.1a54cdf60bfaa590061f5ce4d9d33520.png

That dress is all kinds of wrong, and her breasts look tragic. Big flat implant pancakes.

How old is she? Why does she already have the "young face on an old neck" look? Her face is so beautiful, with all of the resources available to her, it can't be that difficult to get a decent stylist.

I won't even begin to explore the oddness of the marriage.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, leighdear said:

No body shaming here, but that's the worst she's ever looked, as she cannot carry off that neckline with those boobs and those hips.  It looks like she's wearing ugly curtains.  

Seems like women have been trying to duplicate the impact of "The JLo Versace" thing ever since she wore it.  I wasn't a fan of the original, but the also-rans have been just sad.

jlo versace.jpg

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 4

I suppose, but I'm not really looking at the dress. I can't stop looking at the little roll of fat/skin/whatever between her armpit and her breast. Yes, I know everyone has that, but I usually try not to show mine off. I don't want to look at it, but I just can't stop.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Well it's "editorial" I suppose.

Exactly

9 hours ago, auntlada said:

I suppose, but I'm not really looking at the dress. I can't stop looking at the little roll of fat/skin/whatever between her armpit and her breast. Yes, I know everyone has that, but I usually try not to show mine off. I don't want to look at it, but I just can't stop.

Yes, the sheer modesty undergarment should have been cut higher to avoid that.  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Exactly

Yes, the sheer modesty undergarment should have been cut higher to avoid that.  

I guess we should be grateful she was even wearing the sheer modesty undergarment.  J-Lo and others like her would have embraced the side boobage.

• Love 1

It really is an amazingly conceived and constructed gown.  I can absolutely see it as a (RIP!) Chris March/Christian Seriano collaboration that would have Nina Garcia wetting her pants.  

I think it was hands-down the most interesting gown on a woman I wouldn't have expected to see it on.  Maybe Cate Blanchette or Tilda Swinton.  

• Love 2

Amazing...I had to re-watch the grey gathered halter cropped jumpsuit several times.  And I LOVE the square they're walking around.  I haven't watched a real runway show in ages, so having that vantage point really gives a much more complete view of the garments.  And I love the palette of greys, blush and blues, the exposed seams and the shininess.  They grey & teal floral print in the beginning was fantastic.  Gorgeous!  

Thanks so much for posting this!

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 3

I watched a charming movie today called "Ladies in Black". It's set in Australia in 1959 and has a very appealing cast. Julia Ormond is fabulous and looks naturally beautiful, so unlike the plastic-surgeried, emaciated American actresses her age.

There is a fashion aspect that is fun. Let's just say that Sergio would feel right at home.

For a while I was waiting for 

Spoiler

the other shoe to drop and something awful to happen to one of the lead characters, but it never did. This is a happy film with happy endings for everyone.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 4
On 2/16/2020 at 12:18 AM, Ashforth said:

I watched a charming movie today called "Ladies in Black". It's set in Australia in 1959 and has a very appealing cast...

I just saw in People magazine that the book this movie is based on has been re-published in the US, re-named "Women in Black."

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Stats Queen said:

I. With you. Real black licorice is one of my favorite things! Another one of favorite things is popcorn, especially movie popcorn. Sometime I just want to go to the movies for movie popcorn. hubby will say “there’s nothing good showing” (he has very narrow interests) and I will tell him,  it I want movie popcorn. We’ve been married almost 25 years, so this is not a surprise to him.

Now you've hit on one of MY favorite things.  Hot air popped popcorn with REAL melted butter.  This is my Friday lunch while I watch the episode of Project Runway that I DVR'd.

As to licorice - Got to get the cherry made by the Amish.  They make a lot of different flavors but cherry is my favorite.  The really odd thing is, the actual real live DaphneCat LOVES licorice.  I can't sneak it past her - ever.  She recognizes the crinkle of the bag and magically appears.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 2/24/2020 at 10:43 PM, DaphneCat said:

The really odd thing is, the actual real live DaphneCat LOVES licorice.  I can't sneak it past her - ever.  She recognizes the crinkle of the bag and magically appears.

With my cat it was candy corn. I had some one day that my Mum had sent in an Easter package, and when I opened it, my cat came running over. I said to her "What? You don't want this." But she kept mrrrping and insisting, so I threw her a piece. Turns out she did want it, and I couldn't get candy corn by her ever after that. She would smell it and come running for a piece.

Brought over from the Tye Dye episode thread:

1 hour ago, LucindaWalsh said:

@AwesomO4000  Where do you get Belly Flops??

5 minutes ago, BookThief said:

My sister bought me a bag once from...Big Lots. Yes, really.

Yup, that's where I get my Belly Flops, too. $3.00 a 1 pound bag usually, but sometimes cheaper.

And that's not as weird as when I used to buy yarn at Big Lots... yup they used to sell really cool yarn made in Turkey for $1.00 a small skein. I have a stash of amazing stuff saved up (since they don't sell yarn any more.)

I actually have done (and continue to do) not a small amount of "grocery shopping" at Big Lots. I usually by in bulk though if I find something I really like, because you never know when it won't come back. I buy some of my Bob's Red Mill products there (they don't carry as many now as they used to, unfortunately). They have great $1.00 spices of many kinds. $2.00 ones of even larger size (I LOVED the Kansas City seasoning. I can't find it any more unfortunately.) They sometimes have amazing cookies - I like the Turkish cookies especially. Sometimes they carry Le Petit Ecolier dark chocolate (70% cacao) cookies*** for $2.00 a box (I must've bought 6 one day, and made them last.)  I get my Beanitos there also. They carry 4 or 5 flavors usually and at only $2.00 a bag. For those who don't know Beanitos, they are wonderful. Chips made out of beans. They taste great, in my opinion, but have a good amount of fiber, so more responsible snacking. (I like the cheese ones.) Peatos are also pretty great, but different. (They are like Funyuns, except with protein and fiber. I got those on sale at Kroger though... I'll have to check Big Lots, too)

I sometimes find really cool varieties of whole wheat pastas at Big Lots also. They sometimes have good juice deals also. I bought a bunch of Ocean Spray 100% juice cranberry pineapple - which was surprisingly delicious! - for $2.00 a 48 oz bottle not too long ago, and now wish I'd bought more (it's expensive elsewhere.) Good thing juice lasts me a long time (I just use a splash here and there in my watered down stevia drink mix - the usual drink mix strength is too strong for me.)

This all reminds me that I need to make a Big Lots run. 🙂 Hubby recently cleaned me out of snack chips.

*** Probably my favorite brand name cookie. So good. Though I guess technically they are "biscuits?" (of the tea biscuit variety.)

• Love 3
3 hours ago, LucindaWalsh said:

I love those little chocolate cookies also and buy some once in a while.

Yes that combination of vanilla cookie / biscuit on the bottom with the 70% dark chocolate on top is my favorite cookie combination.

I love chocolate, but not necessarily by itself. I like it combined with other things... all sorts of things. Fruit flavor (dark chocolate with lemon, orange, or raspberry cream filling is my favorite candy combination), vanilla flavor, caramel, peanut butter, nuts, crunchy wafers, marshmallow, strawberries, mint... it's all good.

Jelly Belly buttered popcorn is better because it doesn't leave husks stuck between your teeth 😬. I shop Big Lots too, if you are signed up with their membership program they do 20% off a few times a year. Love black licorice but I like the Australian kind from the bulk bins at Sprouts. Much better than the supermarket. Also more expensive so I only get it on sale. Another good place for random food is Homegoods. Not a lot, but there's always something interesting.

• Love 2

I'm cross-posting this in multiple threads, apologies, but I think it's that important:

Tom Colicchio is out front in publicizing that the need to feed our nation's children during the COVID-19 crisis is even more critical than it quietly is every "normal" day. With schools closing because of the pandemic, millions of kids in the U.S. will lose their primary source of nutrition. https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/2174246/coronavirus-children-school-lunch/

Not only that, millions of people, especially in the service industry, are going to lose their incomes and may be faced with going hungry.

If you can afford to, please donate to your local food bank. You can save lives with a $5 donation.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 12
2 minutes ago, Ashforth said:

I'm cross-posting this in multiple threads and if I get banned, this is the hill I'm willing to die on because this may literally be a matter of life or death:

Tom Colicchio is out front in publicizing that the need to feed our nation's children during the COVID-19 crisis is even more critical than it quietly is every "normal" day. With schools closing because of the pandemic, millions of kids in the U.S. will lose their primary source of nutrition. https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/2174246/coronavirus-children-school-lunch/

Not only that, millions of people, especially in the service industry, are going to lose their incomes and may be faced with going hungry.

If you can afford to, please donate to your local food bank. You can save lives with a $5 donation.

So true. My hubby and myself are very, very indirectly affected by everything, we don’t have kids and hubby works from home. If I knew neighbors with young kids, I would offer to watch their kids if they needed to work as I am between consulting gigs (and what I do is the first thing organizations cut during times like these, but we have a blessed life).

Schools shutting down is really rough because many families really rely on the free lunches and breakfast provided by schools (most these parents work so hard to make ends meet). My hubby, who sometimes I thing doesn’t pay attention brought this up to me.

So wonderful advice and thanks for your multiple postings.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I'm cross-posting this in multiple threads and if I get banned, this is the hill I'm willing to die on because this may literally be a matter of life or death:

Philadelphia announced that children (I'm assuming I misheard and they mean parents or accompanied children) can pick up 2 meals a day even though the schools are closed.  

• Love 2

Not diminishing the importance of the above topic, but getting back to PR.

As I’m trying to be more housebound, I fell down a rabbit hole of looking at prior PR seasons. What a hot fucking mess S16 was. Kentaro was definitely a worthy winner and Brandon does some great streetwear and even Margarita was good. But the Claire and Shawn thing was a nightmare.

A Dixie cup challenge. Shopkins for avant-garde. I still have no idea what a Shopkin is and I do NOT want to know. I’m not a parent, nor am I a child, and I have no interest in things marketed for children. The show on Lifetime was so damn cheap looking. The challenges were all advertising grabs. They did some hideous “edgy” camera work, showing the backstage and the control room. UGH. That was the worst season in terms of production values and focus on fashion. Also, Tim often looks like he’s been crying and he’s all blotchy. 

There was so much stunt casting with Chacha and the twins. Amy and Ayana who made some really interesting things got left out of the runway judging in favor of twin drama all the damn time. 

I could actually feel that Zac Posen knew his business was on the edge.

I truly wish Kentaro, Brandon and Margarita had been on Bravo seasons. Brandon especially would have benefited from Christian’s mentorship.

What a truly terrible season.

• Useful 1
12 hours ago, Ashforth said:

Most if not all of the communities around us are offering drive-thru or grab-n-go meals for kids every day.  Also one nearby school system is parking school buses equipped with WiFi in neighborhoods for kids to have access to it.  People are helping.

The job losses is another thing altogether, and will be difficult, no question.  I saw a suggestion that where possible, people go online to purchase gift cards from local establishments, providing immediate revenue for them, to be used when it's safer to go out and about.  Not a universal solution, but everything helps.

• Love 3

This is off topic but I don't know where to put it. Copy and paste as you see fit.

Is anyone watching Making the Cut on Amazon?  Heidi and Tim are hosting. Since we all have to stay in, perhaps we can chat about it. There's a link for it here. 

7 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yeah, I'm 👇this old.

boot liners.jpg

OK, I have to know.  When you got your first pair of winter boots that didn't go over your shoes did you refer to them as shoeboots?  And did you also carry your shoes with you to wear all day at school?  (Yes, I'm old too.)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, DaphneCat said:

OK, I have to know.  When you got your first pair of winter boots that didn't go over your shoes did you refer to them as shoeboots?  And did you also carry your shoes with you to wear all day at school?  (Yes, I'm old too.)

Yes!  Shoeboots.  Why we needed the bread wrappers - to make the boots easier to put on and pull off.  I think, lol.  Seems odd though, as I could actually use that assistance now that I'm an old fart more than I needed it as a 10-yr old, lol.  Shoe bags looked like this: (shape/style)

shyoee.jpg

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Why we needed the bread wrappers - to make the boots easier to put on and pull off.  I think, lol. 

That, but also I think to keep your socks & shoes dry & warm?  

Edited by akr
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Yes!  Shoeboots.  Why we needed the bread wrappers - to make the boots easier to put on and pull off.  I think, lol.  Seems odd though, as I could actually use that assistance now that I'm an old fart more than I needed it as a 10-yr old, lol.  Shoe bags looked like this: (shape/style)

shyoee.jpg

I never used bread wrappers in my boots.  I thought they were only used in the ones that went over your shoes - I guess I didn't know why.  Some of us didn't have fancy shoe bags and had to use a plain brown shopping bag.  I did however have a pair of black "shoeboots" (probably faux leather) that in my 12 year mind resembled motorcycle boots and made me look "tough" (well as tough as a 12 year old girl could look, I guess.)