Type keyword(s) to search

76th Emmy Awards (Sept. 2024)

• Start Topic

I've noticed several posts in the Emmys General Discussion topic that definitely should be in a dedicated thread to the second Emmy Awards to be held in 2024, so I'm opening a thread for them here.

@BetterButter posted about Dan and Eugene Levy being named as hosts in the other thread today. That should definitely be in a dedicated thread instead of getting lost in the other topic.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
(edited)

Creative Arts Emmy winners...

Emmys 2024: Pat Sajak, The Traitors, Blue Eye Samurai and Shark Tank Among Early Winners — View Full List
By Matt Webb Mitovich, Claire Franken   September 7, 2024 
https://tvline.com/lists/emmys-2024-creative-arts-winners-list/ 

The first winners for the 76th annual Prime Emmy Awards are being announced this weekend at the two-night Creative Arts ceremony, being held at Peacock Theater at L.A. LIVE.
An edited presentation of the Creative Arts Emmys will be broadcast on Saturday, Sept. 14 at 8/7c on FXX. The main Emmys ceremony, hosted by Eugene and Dan Levy, airs Sunday, Sept. 15 at 8 pm on ABC.

Edited by tv echo
  • Useful 1

The Creative Arts Emmy Wins Worth Paying Attention To
By Joe Reid   Sep 7, 2024
https://www.vulture.com/article/emmys-2024-creative-arts-categories-to-watch.html 

This weekend’s Creative Arts Emmys will hand out more than half of the total number of Emmys, all in categories buried so deep on the ballot you’ve probably never seen anyone discussing them. But there are more than a few fascinating narratives to be found here. In order to prioritize your rooting interests, these are the 12 categories worth paying attention to.

I kept seeing articles about Creative Arts Emmy winners popping up and thought to myself Wow, when did they start handing those out in the summer?  Then it dawned on me fall is knock, knock, knocking on the season door and next month is October. 

Congratulations to all the winners. 

• Like 1

Bumping this up for tonight's coverage. The show itself airs at 8:00 p.m. Eastern on ABC.

E! will begin its red carpet coverage at 6:00 p.m. Eastern. 

People magazine and Entertainment Weekly will be live streaming a red carpet show, also starting at 6 p.m. I'm embedding the YouTube link here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
(edited)

I don't see many chances for upsets tonight. The probable winners are as close to locks as I can ever remember.

Comedy:  Series, Directing, Writing, Lead Actor and Supporting Actor are all going to The Bear. I do love the show, and it's Season 2 that is being honored tonight, which was brilliant. Season 3, which won't be eligible until next year's Emmys, was fine but nowhere near the caliber of S2. While I think S2 is a deserving winner, a little part of me would love to see Emmy voters do something completely unexpected and honor Reservation Dogs with the award for its final season. 

Comedy Lead Actress and Supporting Actress will go to Hacks, and deservedly so. While I think Ayo Adebiri is excellent, Jean Smart is beloved and and the writers gave her a great story arc in S3. She deserves the Emmy, IMO. While I do think that Hannah Einbinder will win for Supporting Actress, it's certainly not out of the question that Meryl Streep or Carol Burnett could get some love here. I hope that doesn't happen. 

Drama: Shōgun is winning everything but Supporting Actress, where Elizabeth Debicki is a lock for The Crown. IMO, Shōgun deserves all the awards. It was the best thing I've seen all year. Magnificent. Also, it has already won 14 awards from the Creative Arts Emmys held last weekend, making it the most awarded single season of any series in Emmys history, with many more nominations tonight.

Limited Series: I'm out of my league here because I only watched Lessons in Chemistry. From what I've been reading, Baby Reindeer will dominate the Limited Series categories. Although I haven't seen True Detective: Night Country, I'm rooting for Jodie Foster. I think she's the frontrunner. An interesting thing I heard on a Gold Derby podcast the other day is that Jodie has done no publicity events at all in the lead-up to the Emmys. OTOH, Brie Larson has been everywhere. Could make that race interesting. 

It'll be a great night if you watch and love that handful of series; a boring one if not.

Three big cast reunions are expected tonight, which I will spoiler tag for those who like to be surprised. 

Spoiler

Happy Days, Saturday Night Live, The West Wing.

Edited by ProudMary
Clarified single season for Shogun.
6 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

I don't see many chances for upsets tonight. The probable winners are as close to locks as I can ever remember.

Comedy:  Series, Directing, Writing, Lead Actor and Supporting Actor are all going to The Bear. I do love the show, and it's Season 2 that is being honored tonight, which was brilliant. Season 3, which won't be eligible until next year's Emmys, was fine but nowhere near the caliber of S2. While I think S2 is a deserving winner, a little part of me would love to see Emmy voters do something completely unexpected and honor Reservation Dogs with the award for its final season. 

Comedy Lead Actress and Supporting Actress will go to Hacks, and deservedly so. While I think Ayo Adebiri is excellent, Jean Smart is beloved and and the writers gave her a great story arc in S3. She deserves the Emmy, IMO. While I do think that Hannah Einbinder will win for Supporting Actress, it's certainly not out of the question that Meryl Streep or Carol Burnett could get some love here. I hope that doesn't happen. 

Drama: Shōgun is winning everything but Supporting Actress, where Elizabeth Debicki is a lock for The Crown. IMO, Shōgun deserves all the awards. It was the best thing I've seen all year. Magnificent. Also, it has already won 14 awards from the Creative Arts Emmys held last weekend, making it the most awarded single season of any series in Emmys history, with many more nominations tonight.

Limited Series: I'm out of my league here because I only watched Lessons in Chemistry. From what I've been reading, Baby Reindeer will dominate the Limited Series categories. Although I haven't seen True Detective: Night Country, I'm rooting for Jodie Foster. I think she's the frontrunner. An interesting thing I heard on a Gold Derby podcast the other day is that Jodie has done no publicity events at all in the lead-up to the Emmys. OTOH, Brie Larson has been everywhere. Could make that race interesting. 

It'll be a great night if you watch and love that handful of series; a boring one if not.

Three big cast reunions are expected tonight, which I will spoiler tag for those who like to be surprised. 

Reveal spoiler

Happy Days, Saturday Night Live, The West Wing.

I just couldn't get into The Bear so yeah for me that makes things a bit boring lol. Baby Reindeer deserves the wins though. I still in general love watching the Awards show though. 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, MerBearHou said:

Anyone watching E! Red carpet?  Joshua Jackson looks the best I can ever remember him looking — nicely done, Pacey!

Yes, he looks great. I'll never miss a chance to say Pacey was great and Dawson sucked lol.

• Applause 2
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ProudMary said:

a little part of me would love to see Emmy voters do something completely unexpected and honor Reservation Dogs with the award for its final season. 

I only made it two and a half episodes into The Bear before bailing, I hated some of the characters so much, whereas Reservation Dogs is some of the best television I've ever seen, so I'd love to see that upset, but fully expect The Bear to sweep.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I only made it two and a half episodes into The Bear before bailing, I hated some of the characters so much, whereas Reservation Dogs is some of the best television I've ever seen, so I'd love to see that upset, but fully expect The Bear to sweep.

I really did like The Bear, but if Rez Dogs somehow does win anything, I’m sure you’ll hear me from wherever you are. 

• Like 1

I wish Interviewers would stop asking “What was it like working with X?”. Because now the focus is on X and not the person being interviewed and what are they going say? “She was a real shrew!””He was a total a**”?

• Wink 1
  • Applause 1
1 minute ago, chitowngirl said:

I wish Interviewers would stop asking “What was it like working with X?”. Because now the focus is on X and not the person being interviewed and what are they going say? “She was a real shrew!””He was a total a**”?

I wish they would talk about a Red Carpet moment lol 😆 

Crowd seems to love Shogun.  Either that or they don't want to risk a glare from Hiroyuki Sanada!

Took them a while to find The Bear gang and kept cutting to Kimmel for some reason.  

Matt Berry definitely got a kick out of the joke.

Reservation Dogs gets its first shoutout!

The Levy guys are off to a pretty good start, I think, but the Only Murders trio continue to make a case for them to take a crack at it sometime down the line.

Cousin Richie/Ebon gets his second trophy that was likely a given after "Forks."  Billy Crudup winning was predicted by some, but I'm still a little surprised Shogun starts off with a loss.

• Like 3
(edited)

Of cours, Carmy is the first person to get bleeped out.  Network television can't handle the heat!

Damn, The Bear got supporting actress as well!  Yeah, this is sweeping for sure.

Edited by thuganomics85
3 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Ugh, if Ayo beats Jean Smart for Lead Actress, I’m out of tonight’s show.

Well she didn't so you are good lol.

Jean Smart is the best lol. HBO wait Max wait HBO. Yeah I don't know lol. Dumb name change indeed lol.

• Like 3
3 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Love the short and sweet acceptance speeches, by the way

Yeah, I’m still waiting to see what the Canadians are going to do if someone goes over. 

• LOL 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, slowpoked said:

Love the short and sweet acceptance speeches, by the way

Yes. More meaningful.
Loved Alan Cumming's bit about thanking Holland, they must have something in the water, if we all drank it, could save the world.

Edited by shapeshifter
apostrophe
  • Like 3
(edited)

John Oliver continues to wrack up trophies for comedically telling us the various ways the world is spiraling out of control.

Ha!  They finally found a way to just up the play off music: inform the audience your dog passed away.  Even they aren't that heartless!

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 3