Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 7/15/2024

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, Denize said:

Many shooters are mentally unstable and paranoid, so anything can set them off.  If the ladies of the View want to be taken seriously, they should focus on analyzing the policies of each side. 

Of, Denize, if only!!! If only they would!

Actually, if only every politician and media rep would discuss policies v. Personal attacks!

I'm arguing with my right wing brother and keep asking him, " How is T going to unify America? " , or, "Stop hate speech?" 

He has yet to, won't,   or, more likely,  cannot answer. Cuz there is no answer on the Repub side. I even referred Bro to look at Project 2025 on any source he wants for pointers to answer. Radio silence to date. 

7 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Joy is turning into a petulant child in her old age. She always has to have her way, otherwise she will talk over you until you agree with her.

So now she's criticizing Vance, showing clips of what he previously said. IMO, he didn’t say anything more egregious that ANY person would say about their (then) opponent. What about all the negative things that Kamala said about Biden during their previous debate? I suppose it’s okay for Kamala, but not Vance? What a hypocrite!

And Joy, all that negativity stopped once Biden announced Kamala as his running mate. This is the exact same thing that Vance is doing...standing behind his party.

Or is Joy just tired of same old Bs?

As we age,  we see history repeating itself,  and have less patience with BS. Plus we are more apt to call out crap without restraint or care. And yes,  we repeat ourselves for emphasis, cuz we know what the outcome has been,  and probably will be again,  unfortunately.  

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
  • Applause 7
21 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Joy criticizing DT saying "Fight, fight, fight" right after he was shot - I have to wonder how Joy would react if she was shot and nearly killed. What would she say? I don't think you can criticize what a shooting victim says moment after the incident. Personally, I thought (until I heard the audio) that he might have been using another F-word - and I wouldn't have blamed him. (Again, not a DT fan here - I just think that you need to give people space in the midst of a life-threatening crisis)

she probably would have been stunned and said nothing and then thanked God for it not being worse than it was

• Like 10
  • Applause 6

Wow. Whoopi is really digging in her heels wrt Uncle Joe. Joy doesn’t understand what Alyssa means about choosing the couch. Sunny speaks for all Black women, saying it’s Kamala or the couch. All of these women in their ivory towers don’t see what’s happening in the real world.

Glen Powell is my new boyfriend. 

• Like 7

Brian said on the podcast yesterday Ladies Get Lit will  happen next week. Joy talked about a book she is recommending Feeling Good by David Burns.

1 minute ago, Haleth said:

Sunny speaks for all Black women, saying it’s Kamala or the couch.

So Sunny won't vote for someone that isn't Kamala?

2 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Glen Powell is my new boyfriend.

You can have him when I'm done.

You always hear about "It" girls but he is an It Guy. From Top Gun Maverick to Anyone But You and now Twister.  Good for him. And he seems so nice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1

Memo to Sunny-Kindly f**k off with your “Black women will stay home” bulls**t threats. Black women aren’t a monolith.

• Like 11
  • Applause 3
5 hours ago, TimWil said:

Black women aren’t a monolith.

There seems to be a number of people who believe that any ethnic group (like Black women) are going to act in the same way, all the time. It is annoying because they deny the individuality of people. We all have our own histories that affect how we see and react to the world, and we all have our own concerns and beliefs. Yet there are those who want to treat us all as if we march in lockstep with everyone else who shares some characteristics. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

Sunny seems to think black women determine dem votes.

I don't know, but I think suburban white women could as well.

Anyway, dismissing black women voting is wrong if it is not Kamala, and she should be encouraging them to vote for any dem.

I think H Jeffries really caved Sunny in.

I love Joy because I am almost her age and lived through JFK, RFK and MLK assassinations during the Vietnam War and Civil Rights Movement.

IMO the younger generations do not understand how that was. Even if they were alive when Reagan was shot. Not the same times.

We are in very serious times now, like in the 60's. But many, many Americans don't remember that let alone know about it and process it.

I loved Sara saying some people in their 80's are fine, others not so much. She is realistic.

i

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
29 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

IMO the younger generations do not understand how that was. Even if they were alive when Reagan was shot. Not the same times.

We are in very serious times now, like in the 60's. But many, many Americans don't remember that let alone know about it and process it.

I think many Americans remember - I know I do. I remember JFK, MLK, RFK assassinations, along with the shooting of George Wallace and the riots and demonstrations that went on. It was a tense and unsettling time. I don't think we have a map for how to survive it, though.

• Like 9
8 hours ago, TimWil said:

Memo to Sunny-Kindly f**k off with your “Black women will stay home” bulls**t threats. Black women aren’t a monolith.

And they don't all vacation in the Hamptons.

• Like 5
(edited)
21 hours ago, shok said:

This is so not true. Kamala had one issue she took umbridge with Biden about but I'm not going to go back to dig up the exact comments Kamala made during the debate but it was so NOT like anything JD Vance said, nor did Kamala write any books about it. But Vance is not alone in backtracking - the whole Republican party is spinning themselves silly.

You mean like calling Biden a racist?

16 hours ago, Mollywolly555 said:

Or is Joy just tired of same old Bs?

As we age,  we see history repeating itself,  and have less patience with BS. Plus we are more apt to call out crap without restraint or care. And yes,  we repeat ourselves for emphasis, cuz we know what the outcome has been,  and probably will be again,  unfortunately.  

And I suppose walking out on a GUEST is just a matter of not having a filter?

Edited by Soapy Goddess
  • Applause 1

And speaking of Joy, today she criticized Trump's eldest grandchild of lying.

Really? To put it in context, the panel talks about the girl speaking...saying that she's trying to "humanize" Trump. So then Joy says "don't believe it".  Don't believe what, Joy?  A granddaughter saying nice things about her grandfather? Are you calling the kid a liar? You really need to give it a rest, Joy.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1
  • LOL 1

Huh?

Well,  if it's a filter that's just tired of spin, BS, alternative facts, twisted logic, handpicked fawners and toadies, naive grandchildren trotted out for wholesome effect,  and yes, lies,  damn lies.

• Like 10
  • Applause 2
10 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Yes they are a huge voting demographic. And I'm also sure a huge part of the View's audience. Sunny never mentions them.

8 hours ago, Denize said:

And they don't all vacation in the Hamptons.

Or jet off to Europe for a week's vacation.

6 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

And I suppose walking out on a GUEST is just a matter of not having a filter?

Joy at least sat down with him.  I wouldn't have even wanted to share a stage with him.

• Like 6

I am getting a kick out of today's show: Chris Christie(not usually a fan) really laid into the MainStreamMedia for their coverage of the Republican Convention...he said some really 0n-point facts today:  I was like "Yay" :)  And then they showed clips of Joy's thousands of shows, some really funny clips...Joy said they used to have more fun in the early days of the show.

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1

Christie should have been scheduled for two segments.  Any guy who can shut Ana up is A-OK with me.

LOL.  Christie's response to Sunny asking why not Kamala was gold.

Joy needs a cognitive test.  Try to answer at least one question correctly.  No wonder she's so defensive when it comes to Biden.

That trip down memory lane reminds me this show used to be fun.  Used to be.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Lighten up everyone! I got a few laughs today.. I think Chris Christie can be funny (Im going to write your name in Joy)

Joy calls him her new best friend 😂😂

• Like 8
1 minute ago, 2JEWELL said:

Lighten up everyone! I got a few laughs today.. I think Chris Christie can be funny (Im going to write your name in Joy)

Joy calls him her new best friend 😂😂

I enjoyed his segment.  He's a plain speaker who doesn't hold back.  I don't know if people remember but he was Trump before Trump was Trump meaning he was THE rising star in the R party and considered a breath of fresh air in politics because he just told it how it was.  However, he was never vitriolic like Trump.  Trump stole his thunder and the rest is history.  (Well, at least I hope it's history.)

• Like 5
31 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

I enjoyed his segment.  He's a plain speaker who doesn't hold back.  I don't know if people remember but he was Trump before Trump was Trump meaning he was THE rising star in the R party and considered a breath of fresh air in politics because he just told it how it was.  However, he was never vitriolic like Trump.  Trump stole his thunder and the rest is history.  (Well, at least I hope it's history.)

Well it will be history one way or the other. But will there be anyone left to write the history one way or the other is the question.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Ellis Bell Lives said:

yes, I remember the rise of Chris Christi. Until “bridgegate” brought him down a few pegs.. when he joined team trump he lost me completely…

Glad to see it was only temporary. Even if it brought an insurrection to wake him up.

I also laughed when he called Nikki Haley Alyssa’s girlfriend.

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, 2JEWELL said:

yes, I remember the rise of Chris Christi. Until “bridgegate” brought him down a few pegs.. when he joined team trump he lost me completely…

Glad to see it was only temporary. Even if it brought an insurrection to wake him up.

Yeah, he showed the underbelly of politics when his revenge plot was exposed and a few of his aides went to prison for him.  Maybe he is like Trump, lol.

Sunny showed us what she was like in school when she started taunting Alyssa about Nikki Haley's 180 with "I told you so, I told you so."  Must have been as popular as her daughter Paloma.

As much as I disagree with Christie on pretty much every issue I have always found him to be an entertaining guest. 

15 minutes ago, 2JEWELL said:

I remember Alyssa saying if Haley endorsed Trump she would be disheartened.  Hope she sees Haley for who she really is now.

• Like 13

Not sure what Disney movie half of the panel is living in that they actually thought getting shot at would change Trump.

Also, all politics aside, who gives a 92 minute speech?  

• Like 9
  • Applause 4

Okay, just watched the Chris Christie segments and dang it, I'm not a fan of his, but he was so much better than the political guests they usually have on.  No stupid, low hanging fruit jokes.  Just straight up, thought out talking points. 

And I wish Sunny and Joy would get wise to the fact that not voting is an option.  Just because they think democracy hangs in the balance with this election does not mean that everyone views it that way.  A lot of people are just fed up and tired of choosing the lesser evil.  

• Like 7
  • Sad 2

Forgot to add, Joy is right, the show used to be fun when it was just about the views of women at different ages and not politically centered.  Also, they used to have respected journalists on this show (Barbara, Meredith) who knew how to conduct a proper interview.  As much an I enjoyed the Christie segment, there were multiple times where I was thinking, "Geesh, hush up and let the man talk".  They constantly talk over guests now and get combative instead of inquisitive, which always hurts an interview.

• Like 12
  • Fire 3
  • Applause 1
24 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

And I wish Sunny and Joy would get wise to the fact that not voting is an option.  Just because they think democracy hangs in the balance with this election does not mean that everyone views it that way.  A lot of people are just fed up and tired of choosing the lesser evil.  

People not voting is why we have ended up with the extremists winning elections.

• Like 11
  • Fire 1
  • Applause 2

I don’t understand Sunny scolding Christie for saying he won’t vote for pres, yet she keeps asserting Black women will not vote unless Kamala is the candidate. So is this an existential moment or not?

• Like 5
  • Applause 2
(edited)
18 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Sunny seems to think black women determine dem votes.

Anyway, dismissing black women voting is wrong if it is not Kamala, and she should be encouraging them to vote for any dem.

98% of black women voted for Biden which is about 6% of the electorate.  There is no stronger demographic in the democratic party.   That is why Sunny brings up the black female vote.   If Kamala was bypassed for someone else, most black women would still vote the dem candidate.   But if enough chose not to vote or voted protest votes to reduce the rate to even 80 - 90% that could easily influence the election.   

Suburban white women can also affect the election as swing voters, but they are not a reliable voting block for either party.    

Edited by After7Only
  • Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Useful 1
33 minutes ago, bluegirl147 said:

People not voting is why we have ended up with the extremists winning elections.

I'd have to disagree.  I'd say both parties putting up crappy candidates has been the bigger problem.  For the past two elections, a lot of people weren't voting for someone as much as voting against someone else.  And there were plenty of people who went third party or just didn't vote at all because they couldn't stand either choice.  You want people to vote, you have to give them someone worth voting for.  

• Like 3
  • Love 1
32 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

I'd have to disagree.  I'd say both parties putting up crappy candidates has been the bigger problem.  For the past two elections, a lot of people weren't voting for someone as much as voting against someone else.  And there were plenty of people who went third party or just didn't vote at all because they couldn't stand either choice.  You want people to vote, you have to give them someone worth voting for.  

Or one party puts up someone so distasteful voters feel their vote isn’t needed. There is no way that person could ever get elected!

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

you don't think voting to make sure the candidate who wants to destroy democracy is enough to get you out to the polls??? 

• Like 4
  • Applause 13
(edited)
1 hour ago, cinsays said:

you don't think voting to make sure the candidate who wants to destroy democracy is enough to get you out to the polls??? 

I'm guessing that for many people, it would depend on what the alternative is. With age and health considerations in play, people may wonder if they are voting for the President or ultimately for the Vice President, should anything happen. So for some people, the whole ticket (for both parties) is worth looking at, probably for the first time in some years.

And maybe some (Joy and Whoopi) might be ok with a POTUS who would not be "actively" running the country and depend on a group of unelected counselors to develop policies and make decisions are large percent of the time (based on their frequent comments that they don't care about Biden's cognitive or physical limitations), but that might be an issue for other voters. 

I can understand why some people don't want to make a choice if they feel they have two unpleasant options, although the saying "Not to decide is to decide" can be very applicable. If there was a great third option (maybe even for a write-in campaign, as Chris Christie suggested), I wonder how many would choose that instead of skipping the top of the ticket when voting this year. 

Edited by KittyQ
  • Like 3

I enjoyed Chris Christie, but as was mentioned above, it was very annoying to see him get attacked for not voting.  They were pecking at him like hens pecking a corn cob.  It's his choice to not vote.  I don't agree with his choice since I think voting is a precious privilege, but I would never be so presumptuous as to badger him about it.  

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

If you are not going to vote which is a precious privilege don't complain about the outcome of the election.  Trump loves Putin, China’s Xi Jinping and Hungary’s Viktor Orbán dictators right there should make everyone go to the polls and vote.  He will surround himself with yes men if he is elected.  

• Like 6
  • Applause 5
4 hours ago, 2JEWELL said:

Biden has “the best people”

That's an opinion that has not been proven.

1 hour ago, Glorious said:

Trump loves Putin, China’s Xi Jinping and Hungary’s Viktor Orbán dictators right there should make everyone go to the polls and vote.

He doesn't "love" them. They respect him. Keeping an open dialogue has nothing to do with "love".

• Sad 1
  • LOL 1

Hi everyone, 

a couple of posts are drifting into more personal politics territory. While my intent isn't to cut off the discussion, please remember to put the personal aspect aside as you continue to discuss.

Thank you and carry on. 

I am thinking if one is given the choice of a bowl of melted ice cream in not a favorite flavor and a poop sandwich and if one didn't pick, then they'd have to have the other one, wouldn't most people go for the bowl of melted ice cream in not a favorite flavor?

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I am thinking if one is given the choice of a bowl of melted ice cream in not a favorite flavor and a poop sandwich and if one didn't pick, then they'd have to have the other one, wouldn't most people go for the bowl of melted ice cream in not a favorite flavor?

Choosing neither is an option. 

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Choosing neither is an option. 

Yes that is true. Then one might get stuck with the poop sandwich so maybe they are okay with that 

• Like 3
On 7/18/2024 at 11:50 AM, TimWil said:

I think that Sunny may be projecting her own indignation onto other women when she says they won’t vote if Kamala is passed over. There are a lot of people who do not recognize Kamala as an accomplished politician and who would never vote for her even if they acknowledged such. Dems need to be more strategic than a mindless bump to whoever is next in line. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
12 minutes ago, Glitches said:

There are a lot of people who do not recognize Kamala as an accomplished politician and who would never vote for her even if they acknowledged such.

I don't disagree with Sunny's POV in the sense that Kamala theoretically being passed over would be a slap in the face but I do think, sadly, that we still haven't reached a point where a woman will get elected as President.  Which sucks but here we are.

• Like 3

The audience winner at the end of the show was so cute with his excitement! He didn't seem like the type of person that watches the show and was probably dragged there by his wife  😄

• Like 5
13 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Yes that is true. Then one might get stuck with the poop sandwich so maybe they are okay with that 

No, if one doesn't choose either option, they don't get stuck with anything! That is, if we're really talking about the items you described.

On 7/19/2024 at 5:23 PM, KittyQ said:

And maybe some (Joy and Whoopi) might be ok with a POTUS who would not be "actively" running the country and depend on a group of unelected counselors to develop policies and make decisions are large percent of the time

That’s basically what happened with you know who’s administration, and definitely will be the case if he won again.   Alyssa pointed out the differences between his of the cuff remarks and what was written for him.   His Hannibal lector remarks have little to do with actual policy or how he would run the country

• Like 5
On 7/17/2024 at 1:22 PM, bluegirl147 said:

I don't think they have ever said anything that I would consider inflammatory.  I get wanting to lower the temperature but I don't think the View raises the temperature.

I agree. I'd say (some of) the commentary here these days is much more vitriolic than anything that's ever been on The View, that's for sure, LOL.

• Like 1
On 7/18/2024 at 2:50 PM, TimWil said:

I think Sunny is right to a degree though, at least in the sense that enough people (Black or otherwise) likely would have been left with a bad taste in their mouth if they'd bypassed her for it to affect anyone else's chances.

• Like 2