Type keyword(s) to search

Season One: Coffee Table, Your Place to Chat

Crap - this is one of my favorite new shows, but all I ever seem to do is quote my favorite lines from each episode, which won't be enough to support this forum.  :-(

Oh - and I like the animals on the couch, du-uh.  :-)

I really wanted the show to be an hour...but it did feel a little long. Instead of adding a lot more shows they seemed to add a lot more personal moments. Some were funny, but most were not. I think they need some more people so it's not the exact same people every week.

Also...I am confused about the other threads in this section. Who are Jim, Alan and Aaron? Admittedly I can't remember anyone's name on this show so did I totally miss something?

• Love 2

Not every kind of show needs 'episode' threads.

Who the heck remembers which number episode a given show is?

People's Couch has different shows in each episode. So calling episode number X by a given title means nothing.

For example, if for whatever reason a person didn't see comments on that particular show segment - how would they know that's the episode they want to comment on. Sure they can look at the 'date' of the episode, but why even complicate it like that.

But basically People's Couch'episode threads' for this show are just confusing. Just my opinion.

• Love 3

I had a somewhat strange yet possibly brilliant idea for a one shot half hour special episode: The Peoples Couch with Kathy Griffin. Just imagine it Kathy and Maggie (with her box of wine) watching tv with the three gay guys. It would be comedy gold!! Especially if they watched the season opener of Glee or Game of Thrones (next year of course).

I like everyone on the show.

I think it's a great mix....of super comical funny...and lame funny. I think you need both.

Most I just can't believe I love watching a show about people watching TV.

hat other proof is there that I have no life.

But I'll be damned if the show isn't funny.

• Love 4
(edited)

(I hope I'm posting in the right thread -- I can't figure out where to post.)

I was one who did not want this show to be an hour.  I knew that I would end up burning out on it.  The first hour-long show I saw, I enjoyed (to my surprise).  I laughed.  It seemed to go by pretty quickly. 

However, every episode since then has dragged on to me, and I have actually found myself fast forwarding through many of the segments -- which is something I never did when the show was 30 minutes.  I honestly think that Bravo is going to eventually kill the show with the one-hour length because others may burn out like I did, and it's hard to go back to only 30 minutes after you have climbed up to an hour. 

One main problem is that, since they are spending more time on each segment and adding in more shows to watch, if they are covering shows that the viewers (we at home) haven't seen, a lot of people will zone out and not care.

I just think that in the case of this series, less was more.  A little taste each week of what the "people" were watching was fine, and left me eager for the following week. 

Edited by Sherry67
  • Love 1
(edited)

^^ My jury is still out on the one hour episodes. And with more time to fill, obviously they had to fill it with more people, more shows, or more commentary.

As long as they keep it FUNNY, I'm OK with the hour format. And so far I do think they're doing that.

I like all the "people" and even if I've never seen a show that their commenting about. Their reactions are what I'm watching for.

Example: I've never seen a show called "Orange is the new Black." I've heard about it because it's won some awards, and Pr es Ob am a even joked about it. But if not for that, I'd have never heard about it -- and still know nothing about the show. But it was the people's commentary that made watching their reaction to it funny.

Again, if PC can stay FUNNY, an hour format will work...for me. But I'm only one viewer. 

Edited by selhars
  • Love 2

So far I am really enjoying the show, and don't mind the hour long format at all.  I also enjoy watching scenes from shows I don't follow - although those mostly confirm my pre-conceived notions about shows I'm not much interested in.  :-)   It's the watchers' reactions and chatter that I'm tuning in to see.

• Love 2
(edited)

See, that's the whole thing -- I like the "people" too, but when the segments are dragged out so long and there are so many more shows for them to watch (some of which are obscure and some of which are popular), I find myself laughing less.  I have not found anything as funny as I did when it was 30 minutes -- and I don't want the people purposely mugging for the camera, trying to be funny. I want them to be natural.  I think the people are naturally funny, but in shorter increments. 

Maybe if the one hour was instead broken up into 2 thirty-minute shows each week (spread out by a few days) I would feel differently because the pacing would be different.  Maybe if some new "people" were added into the mix along with the existing ones I would feel differently.  All I know is that after the first one-hour show I began fast forwarding through segments because I was getting bored and not laughing as much anymore.

Edited by Sherry67
(edited)

I began fast forwarding through too.  Last week I ended up just erasing the DVR at some point.  Seems like too much work to get past the show you already don't like.

Edited by jumper sage
  • Love 1

and I don't want the people purposely mugging for the camera, trying to be funny. I want them to be natural.

that's something NO "reality" show has been able to provide.

I really like the hour-long format and I really like most of the people.

I could do without the old ladies and the sisters and father.

Pretty much love everyone else.  Disappointed last night was the season finale.

• Love 1

Hello @cooksdelight!

My personal preference is just one thread for season 2. I don't think the threads really got that much action last season (too bad! More people need to be watching!) so I think it would be easier to keep up with one thread.

Edited by ExplainItAgain
  • Love 5

Most I just can't believe I love watching a show about people watching TV.

hat other proof is there that I have no life.

But I'll be damned if the show isn't funny.

Yeah, I've tried to sell this show to friends & they're like "now you're watching a show that's OTHER PEOPLE WATCHING tv???!" They don't get it :(

• Love 1

Yeah, I've tried to sell this show to friends & they're like "now you're watching a show that's OTHER PEOPLE WATCHING tv???!" They don't get it :(

I don't get why it's that hard to get. It's essentially no different than watching a show like "The Soup", except that rather than a single host commenting on clips, we have a variety of people.

Maybe the one sentence pitch might be "Mystery Science Theater crossed with The Soup".

• Love 1

I don't get why it's that hard to get. It's essentially no different than watching a show like "The Soup", except that rather than a single host commenting on clips, we have a variety of people.

Maybe the one sentence pitch might be "Mystery Science Theater crossed with The Soup".

Except I laughed a lot more during Mystery Science Theater and The Soup. But that's just me.

Except I laughed a lot more during Mystery Science Theater and The Soup. But that's just me.

The Soup doesn't make me laugh much.  I agree on MST though.

I don't think all of the Couches are equally as funny of course.  I actually think Brandy is the single funniest person on the show, although since she's part of a comedy writing duo, that's no surprise (even though Julie is the one of the pair with the previous TV credits).  Julie isn't bad, it's just that she seems almost like the straightwoman (no pun intended) to Brandy. Julie usually reacts to Brandy, not the other way around.

The two Persian sisters are also fairly funny, as are at least two of the gay guys (mainly the guy who sits in the middle). Mama Zeno is funny, but the son and Dad are just her straightmen.  With the old ladies, the one who always sits on the far left (from our perspective), who has all these crazy stories about how rich she was, is pretty funny. The other two old ladies also come up with some occasional crackers, but it varies.  

The Family Bed people can occasionally say interesting stuff, but it's very hit and miss.  To their credit, all four of them occasionally pop up with something, but there's also a lot that doesn't work. The family with the big dog and the Dad with the beard kind of bore me, except occasionally when the two sisters in that family squabble (the sister who sits on the far end of the couch is the funny one overall--the Mom is barely noticeable, and the Dad only a little moreso).  Who did I forget?  Oh, the African-American sisters.  Honestly, they don't seem to be that interesting either.