Type keyword(s) to search

Athletics (Track & Field)

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Souris said:

Amazing finish by Quincy Hall! I know nothing about the mechanics of track races, but even I could see he threw all technique out the window at the end and just freaking RAN with everything he had.

Tebogo had such a game face on when he came out, I could tell he meant business. 

Kind of looked like Lyles might be having an asthma attack after. 

ETA: Well, turns out Lyles has Covid but decided to compete anyway. Now I'm concerned about him with his asthma AND everyone else around him. They did say he's been wearing a mask the past couple days.

I noticed him 😷 a couple of days ago but thought he was just being overly cautious. 

Congratulations to Sydney (who destroyed it) and Anna stealing silver from Femke. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, baldryanr said:

I hope McLaughlin-Levrone had the sense to take off that crown/tiara before she took her well deserved victory lap. 

She kept taking it off and everyone else kept putting it back on her, LOL.

• Like 2
  • LOL 6
1 hour ago, Salacious Kitty said:

I noticed him 😷 a couple of days ago but thought he was just being overly cautious. 

Congratulations to Sydney (who destroyed it) and Anna stealing silver from Femke. 

I had also noticed Noah masking yesterday before his semis.  I'm sorry he has COVID (obviously), but I'm worried about everyone else, too.  I suppose he won't be able to run in the 4x100m relay, which sucks.  It's amazing he managed bronze.

Having said that, I am THRILLLLLLLLLED for Letsile (whose last name the announcers are pronouncing incorrectly: in Setswana, "g" is pronounced more like a guttural "h")!!!  This is the first gold medal ever for Botswana and in such a marquee event, too!  So amazing!!  And my beautiful Kenny got silver!!

Sydney...damn, what an incredible run by her.  And an amazing charge at the end by Anna for silver!

Last night: has anyone ever looked more pained while making an amazing charge for gold than Quincy Hall??  I could not believe he charged home for gold while looking like he was hurting so much.  Incredible race.

• Like 10

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40780740/noah-lyles-wins-200m-bronze-covid-diagnosis-revealed-race

I know many people are ambivalent towards COVID these days and many people don't take precautions anymore... but he was diagnosed two days ago.  Article says he moved out of the Olympic Village, but what about everything else?  Were his competitors informed?  Did he use the locker room?  Were precautions taken?

Not sure what the rules are about COVID and the Olympics this time around.  I get that running is an individual sport, there's much less contact with others than in a sport like basketball.  But still.  What about the people running in the lanes next to him, he's breathing hard and even though it's outdoors, they are right next to him.  

I would think he absolutely should not participate in the relay, he could get his teammates sick.  Yet he says he still "hasn't decided".

• Like 11
15 hours ago, voiceover said:

Congrats to Quincy Hall for that amazing finish!

When Mike Tirico interviewed Quincy Hall, Tirico mentioned the snow angel he did on the track after he won, and Hall said he didn't know where that came from.  How many times has he won races, presumably even important ones, and he somehow busts out a new celebratory move without even thinking.  I love it.

2 hours ago, Souris said:

She kept taking it off and everyone else kept putting it back on her, LOL.

I noticed that, and then watched again more carefully and it looked to me like her husband was putting it on but he didn't know how to do it so it wasn't secure, and finally I saw a woman's hand put it on and it stayed put.  I don't know who that was who gave her the crown but I kind of liked it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, blackwing said:

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id/40780740/noah-lyles-wins-200m-bronze-covid-diagnosis-revealed-race

I know many people are ambivalent towards COVID these days and many people don't take precautions anymore... but he was diagnosed two days ago.  Article says he moved out of the Olympic Village, but what about everything else?  Were his competitors informed?  Did he use the locker room?  Were precautions taken?

It doesn’t seem like many precautions are in place. Yesterday, I happened to catch his semi in prime time and he was wearing a surgical mask in the ready room but he pulled it off and lined up and everything without it (so a more confined and close with everyone space with no mask. 🤦🏽‍♀️)

I hope he’s doing okay, but I’m really not okay with any athlete putting other athletes at risk like that. Maybe there’s more ventilation in the ready room than I think and maybe the other athletes in the room knew about it, but it just feels really inconsiderate at the very least to have active Covid in a room like that unmasked. 

• Like 11
6 hours ago, ProudMary said:

Question on Relays:

I just want to be sure about this. I know it works this way in swimming and want to be certain for T&F. If a sprinter runs in one of the heats, but not in the final and the team makes the podium, they still get a medal, right?

Yes.

2 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

Having said that, I am THRILLLLLLLLLED for Letsile (whose last name the announcers are pronouncing incorrectly: in Setswana, "g" is pronounced more like a guttural "h")!!!  This is the first gold medal ever for Botswana and in such a marquee event, too!  So amazing!!  And my beautiful Kenny got silver!!

OMG THANK YOU - or should I say GOSIAME MMA -for saying this! I lived in Botswana as a Peace Corps volunteer and this has been bugging this SHIT out of me this entire Track run! That Aussie commentator doesn't give two shits about pronouncing athletes names incorrectly. I made a complaint comment on one of NBCOlympics IG posts about that. Not that they'll do anything about it. But these commentators ought to get a damn paper with all the athletes names and how to pronounce them correctly. Isn't there a freaking intern that could do that for them?!?

On a related note, I have only known Tebogo to be a given name, not a surname, but Letsile sounds like a surname to me, at least in Setswana, so I'm not even sure they have his name in the correct order.

• Like 2
47 minutes ago, surfgirl said:

But these commentators ought to get a damn paper with all the athletes names and how to pronounce them correctly. Isn't there a freaking intern that could do that for them?!?

It's especially easy these days because the Olympics athlete page already includes audio of the athletes pronouncing their own names (first slowly and with pronounced enunciation and the second time at normal speed). 

• Like 1
  • Useful 11
2 hours ago, surfgirl said:

That Aussie commentator doesn't give two shits about pronouncing athletes names incorrectly.

Or the name of a country, either. If he says, "You-gan-dah" one more time, I'm going to throw a shoe at the screen.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

Or the name of a country, either. If he says, "You-gan-dah" one more time, I'm going to throw a shoe at the screen.

Haha, I feel your pain! Last night my husband said to me, 'Is it You GAN duh, or You GAHN duh', I said, 'it's the latter but this asshole couldn't give a shit about pronouncing other countries names correctly. I feel it's a very 'British/Aussie' thing, like British Empire and can't be bothered to get it right. Another example when I lived in Botswana is that the capital is 'Gaborone' pronounced GahboRONE, RONE like BONE. But the nickname is Gabs with a hard G. All the Brits and Aussies called it GaboronEY, with a hard G and an EEEE at the end. No matter how hard one tried to correct them, they refused to say it correctly. It's a huge pet peeve of mine!

• Useful 2
6 hours ago, Tachi Rocinante said:

Lyles has COVID

I heard this, and what a jerk. He shouldn't have been allowed to race. He probably exposed all the other runners. And didn't admit it to after but knew about it before the final.

• Like 5
  • Angry 1

1 minute ago, blueray said:

I heard this, and what a jerk. He shouldn't have been allowed to race. He probably exposed all the other runners. And didn't admit it to after but knew about it before the final.

The Canadian commentators are ripping him a new one tonight. Basically a) if he has Covid, he should have told people so they could mask up and not run and b) he got told off for showboating before the race with plenty of energy, but comes third and is too sick to move. They also showed Letsile throwing some spectacular shade during the press conference. 

• Like 7
  • Angry 1
1 minute ago, satrunrose said:

The Canadian commentators are ripping him a new one tonight. Basically a) if he has Covid, he should have told people so they could mask up and not run and b) he got told off for showboating before the race with plenty of energy, but comes third and is too sick to move. They also showed Letsile throwing some spectacular shade during the press conference. 

And then exposed the medical personal that helped him. As they weren't wearing masks either. I will say he did seem actually sick. Like he didn't complain about getting Third and barely made it through the interview (and was wearing a mask then). My guess is he got told off by the medical staff.

• Like 2
(edited)

NBC just reported the IOC has no restrictions on athletes competing with Covid, leaving it up to the athletes. I think it's totally irresponsible and it makes me stabby, but honestly that's pretty common these days in society in general. People go to work and school and parties sick with Covid regularly now. I give him a little credit for at least quarantining and masking indoors (mostly).  I am honestly surprised we haven't heard of more athletes getting Covid, though I heard earlier there have been more than 70 who have.

Given the huge crowds, you have to assume there are lots of people roaming around there with Covid, so anyone not masking is choosing to accept the risk IMO.

Edited by Souris
  • Like 4
  • Angry 3
(edited)
7 hours ago, Souris said:

Sand angel in the pit for Tara Davis-Woodhall! What a sweet, emotional moment with her husband after.

And her husband is a Paralympian! I loved she shouted out the Paralympics in her interview afterward.

Again, sorry about the double post. My phone does not like the edit option sometimes.

Edited by Souris
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
28 minutes ago, blueray said:

And then exposed the medical personal that helped him. As they weren't wearing masks either. I will say he did seem actually sick. Like he didn't complain about getting Third and barely made it through the interview (and was wearing a mask then). My guess is he got told off by the medical staff.

Yeah, I think sometimes being sick comes with the whole "I'm fine...I'm fine... OOOOOh not fine!" so I could go either way on that part. I kind of understand why the commentators were reacting that way, though. 

• Like 1

Yeah I had the same reaction to hearing Lyke tested positive TWO days ago! Unfortunately many people and countries treat Covid now like a cold or the flu. The problem is that most folks don't take personal responsibility for masking up in public, nor on planes, not anywhere really. That's what passes me off. Why was there hardly any u during lockdown? Because people who were sick were masking even if they didn't yet know they were sick. 

I think Lyle is an asshole before this happened. He has shown in his big mouth shit talking that there was no way he was going to sit it out because he was sick. So now he has a Bronze medal and who else did he infect, and possibly ruin their Olympic run? I don't care about him tbh, but it's not right that he likely put other athletes at risk. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr 🤬

• Like 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, Garden Wafers said:

It's especially easy these days because the Olympics athlete page already includes audio of the athletes pronouncing their own names (first slowly and with pronounced enunciation and the second time at normal speed). 

Thanks for this, he's from my village, I had no idea! I mean, he wasn't born when I.lived there but its cool to know. And yes, why can't these commentators listen and take notes on each athlete under their purview?! 

ETA: Watching the 200m race right now a d seeing how many people were backstage when they were introducing Lyle pisses me off even more.

Edited by surfgirl
  • Like 1

These track races have been so exciting! In regards to Noah Lyles he is not the 1st athlete I heard was competing with Covid. I read a swimmer had it too. For USA gymnastics a coach and Jade Carey were both sick and Jade competed while sick. She also roomed with Simone Biles and literally as far as I could tell no precautions were taken. I'm old enough to remember how amazed and to this day still talked the Michael Jordan Flu Game was. So it's not unheard of to compete. And my guess considering the Olympics only takes place every 4 yrs, every competitor out there would still race sick. You don't train your whole life for it and not do it if at all physically capable so I just cannot get worked up over it.

• Like 12
(edited)

I love that someone in Sydney McLaughlin-Levrone's family or friend circle just happened to have a convenient crown  stashed in their luggage, waiting for her to slay it, as she always does.  What a remarkable athlete she is.  I also love that she kept taking it off and her husband kept putting it back on her.  

I hope she does start running the 400-flat and hope everyone stays healthy for the 4x400 relay. 

Edited by SophiaD
  • Like 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, surfgirl said:

OMG THANK YOU - or should I say GOSIAME MMA -for saying this!

I think you mean, "Gosiame, Rra," since I'm a guy.😉

Botswana is one of my favorite countries.  It is beyond beautiful, and the people are so lovely.

It's definitely a British/Aussie dialectical thing to flatten some "ah" sounds; for example, they'll pronounce Slovakia (Slo-vah-ki-a) as Slo-vack-i-a and pasta (pah-sta) as pass-ta.  It's pretty grating to me, too, but I'm sure my American pronunciations drive others crazy.

Oh, and I'm so thrilled for Grant Holloway.  What a race!

Edited by NUguy514
  • Like 3
  • LOL 2
7 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

It's definitely a British/Aussie dialectical thing to flatten some "ah" sounds; for example, they'll pronounce Slovakia (Slo-vah-ki-a) as Slo-vack-i-a and pasta (pah-sta) as pass-ta.  It's pretty grating to me, too, but I'm sure my American pronunciations drive others crazy.

Hmm, I must be an Australian outlier because I definitely say "pah-sta" and "Slo-vah-kia", not to mention "cah-stle" rather than "cass-tle"!

12 hours ago, Souris said:

NBC just reported the IOC has no restrictions on athletes competing with Covid, leaving it up to the athletes. I think it's totally irresponsible and it makes me stabby, but honestly that's pretty common these days in society in general. People go to work and school and parties sick with Covid regularly now. I give him a little credit for at least quarantining and masking indoors (mostly).  I am honestly surprised we haven't heard of more athletes getting Covid, though I heard earlier there have been more than 70 who have.

Given the huge crowds, you have to assume there are lots of people roaming around there with Covid, so anyone not masking is choosing to accept the risk IMO.

I agree that it seems people still go to work and school even though they might have COVID.  I work in a small office and we have no real HR person here, all of those responsibilities fall upon me.  A woman was sneezing and coughing.  She's always coughing and sneezing so I assumed it was allergies or her normal self.  The woman in the cube next to her overheard her on the phone talking to her teenaged son and asking him if his COVID symptoms were any better.  I called her into my office.  It turns out the son has been sick with COVID for the past four days.  She claims she feels fine but had a headache and was tired.  I sent her home and told her to go get a COVID test.  Sure enough, she texted me and said she was COVID positive.  Didn't apologize, acted like it was no big deal.

It seems the IOC treats COVID the same way now... make your own decisions, doesn't require notification of other competitors or close contacts, doesn't require isolation, etc.  I'm a bit surprised that the country delegations aren't more concerned about this.  Scenes of the various country's housing shows extremely packed atmospheres crowded with athletes.  Wouldn't they be concerned about a COVID outbreak?  It can spread fast.  My daughter went to a two week overnight camp a month ago.  10 out of 20 ended up getting sent home with COVID.

11 hours ago, surfgirl said:

Yeah I had the same reaction to hearing Lyke tested positive TWO days ago! Unfortunately many people and countries treat Covid now like a cold or the flu. The problem is that most folks don't take personal responsibility for masking up in public, nor on planes, not anywhere really. That's what passes me off. Why was there hardly any u during lockdown? Because people who were sick were masking even if they didn't yet know they were sick. 

I think Lyle is an asshole before this happened. He has shown in his big mouth shit talking that there was no way he was going to sit it out because he was sick. So now he has a Bronze medal and who else did he infect, and possibly ruin their Olympic run? I don't care about him tbh, but it's not right that he likely put other athletes at risk. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr 🤬

I agree completely, I disliked him before he got COVID and I dislike him even more now.  Even if some decide that COVID is just a cold or the flu... someone with the cold or flu should still be considerate and attempt to actively avoid contact with others.  Instead of going around hugging everyone.

9 hours ago, LuvsPigs said:

These track races have been so exciting! In regards to Noah Lyles he is not the 1st athlete I heard was competing with Covid. I read a swimmer had it too. For USA gymnastics a coach and Jade Carey were both sick and Jade competed while sick. She also roomed with Simone Biles and literally as far as I could tell no precautions were taken. I'm old enough to remember how amazed and to this day still talked the Michael Jordan Flu Game was. So it's not unheard of to compete. And my guess considering the Olympics only takes place every 4 yrs, every competitor out there would still race sick. You don't train your whole life for it and not do it if at all physically capable so I just cannot get worked up over it.

AFAIC, it's not about him.  I couldn't give two shits about whether he felt well enough to compete.  He obviously wanted to go for it.  And if there are no restrictions against COVID-positive athletes participating, then ok.  But the part that makes me angry is the lack of precautions.  He shouldn't have been allowed to wait in the ready room with the others.  He should have just been brought out on to the field from a separate area.  And he absolutely should not have been allowed to remain on the track when the race was over.  He should have been taken off immediately.  Instead, he goes around and hugs everyone.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, Souris said:

And her husband is a Paralympian! I loved she shouted out the Paralympics in her interview afterward.

My sister, my best friend, and I were watching Tara's interview, and we all "awwwed" at that moment.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Noah Lyles was dancing and prancing and jumping up and down during his introduction, then when he gets smoked on the track, he's suddenly sick.  I know he has COVID, but I thought his whole performance was strange.

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Noah Lyles was dancing and prancing and jumping up and down during his introduction, then when he gets smoked on the track, he's suddenly sick.  I know he has COVID, but I thought his whole performance was strange.

Adrenaline will do that to you.

• Like 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

We were a bit put off by the commentators seeming to immediately look for a reason why Lyles lost - aside from Letsile Tebogo smoking him and the rest of the field.

Edited by wanderingstar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
57 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

Adrenaline will do that to you.

He was so sure he was going to win and, considering his past antics, I think falling sick was just an excuse for why he got smoked. 

US women just won 4x100 relay gold.  Props to Sha'Carri for bringing it home.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
21 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

And the men just blew it. It was like they've never run a relay before.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
24 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

Sha'Carri did an amazing job in that last leg because the pass from Gabby was not ideal.

2 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

I really wanted Fred and Kenny to get a gold, but...the US men always fuck up the 4x100m relay.  You never know when it will occur (qualifying? final?), you never know how it will occur (dropped baton? DQ?), but you know it will occur at some point!  They never fail to disappoint, and I laugh every Olympics because it's like clockwork!

It looked like Kenny, who is not that experienced a relay runner, left too soon and too fast because he almost had to stop running for Christian to catch up with him, and that pass was too late.  Christian might have slowed down too much, but he's an experienced relay runner, so I kind of doubt that.

• Like 3

CANADA!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

20 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

it's tradition. If it's not the men, it's the women. and it's not a relay race if someone from Team USA doesn't screw it up. I think it's more rarer that it doesn't  happen than when it does. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

Super super stoked for Canada.  That was awesome.  As for our guys...well...it's the facepalm that keeps on giving every four years. 

The women crushed it.  Congrats to Sh'Carri for bringing in that gold.

I went and checked.  The last time the men medaled on the 4x100 was 2004.  Twenty years ago.  And quite frankly Justin Gatlin was on that team so... side eye.

• Like 4
28 minutes ago, NUguy514 said:

Sha'Carri did an amazing job in that last leg because the pass from Gabby was not ideal.

I really wanted Fred and Kenny to get a gold, but...the US men always fuck up the 4x100m relay.  You never know when it will occur (qualifying? final?), you never know how it will occur (dropped baton? DQ?), but you know it will occur at some point!  They never fail to disappoint, and I laugh every Olympics because it's like clockwork!

It looked like Kenny, who is not that experienced a relay runner, left too soon and too fast because he almost had to stop running for Christian to catch up with him, and that pass was too late.  Christian might have slowed down too much, but he's an experienced relay runner, so I kind of doubt that.

Isn't this race usually a team of individual sprinters? If so, while they are all used to racing solo for their own individual wi s, I can see where women would be more easily able to work together as a team whereas men maybe aren't as easily thrown into a team and are able to function as successfully? Not sure, just putting it out there.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, surfgirl said:

Isn't this race usually a team of individual sprinters? If so, while they are all used to racing solo for their own individual wi s, I can see where women would be more easily able to work together as a team whereas men maybe aren't as easily thrown into a team and are able to function as successfully? Not sure, just putting it out there.

All the other countries seem able to do it. 

• Like 2

OMG! I can't believe it! Go Canada! We've been Canadianly non-hockey disappointed in our sprinters all Olympics (It's okay, Andre, you tried, we still love you). None of them qualified for the individual and I did not have high hopes but They Did It! Yaaaaaaayyyyyy!

• Like 4
  • Applause 2
3 minutes ago, satrunrose said:

OMG! I can't believe it! Go Canada! We've been Canadianly non-hockey disappointed in our sprinters all Olympics (It's okay, Andre, you tried, we still love you). None of them qualified for the individual and I did not have high hopes but They Did It! Yaaaaaaayyyyyy!

apparently Andre had a hamstring injury and couldn't train the way he wanted to leading up. such a bummer - but that was such a clutch last 50 from him. 

• Like 4

In other news - if you were to tell me Jamaica's gold medal in Track and Field would have been on the field  - i wouldn't have believed you. 

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

He is EXTRA, no doubt about that, but it doesn't seem strange to me. He's one of those people who feed off the crowd and was no doubt extra psyching himself up because he was sick, and he hadn't really been exerting himself so it was fine. Then he pushed himself HARD for 200m as an asthmatic with Covid. Maybe he was playing it up, I don't know -- like I said, he is EXTRA -- but I could also totally see that exertion in the circumstances making it really hard for him to breathe immediately after.

You would think the U.S. men would realize at some point that they need to change what the hell they're doing on relays because clearly it's a Dumpster fire. Once is an unlucky blip. Every damn time is a flaw in the system.

I think it is because the U.S. men are so focused on individual rather than team, they don't practice nearly enough. And some of it may be mental at this point because it's such a weighty history of screwups.

At least the ladies got it together.

• Like 8
55 minutes ago, Souris said:

You would think the U.S. men would realize at some point that they need to change what the hell they're doing on relays because clearly it's a Dumpster fire. Once is an unlucky blip. Every damn time is a flaw in the system.

One of the announcers said they had just talked to Carl Lewis, who is furious:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10131339-carl-lewis-furious-over-usa-dq-in-mens-4x100m-relay-at-olympics-after-lyles-exit

• Fire 1

Way to go Canada and Andre de Grasse in the 4x100!  Amazing performance!  Happy that he gets a gold after the troubles he had in his individual races.  NBC/Peacock didn't even bother introducing them.  So much focus on the American team and then they briefly mentioned Great Britain and China.  So it was especially satisfying to see de Grasse on the outside lane winning it all.

Bummer about the U.S. team.  Ato Boldon discussed all of the past troubles including clips of all the botches.  And then sure enough, they flub it up on the first pass.

Somewhere, Noah Lyles is thinking that if only they had the incredible him on the team, this wouldn't have happened....  even though I believe the guy that replaced him was running either the 3rd or 4th leg, so it would have happened regardless.

• Like 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, MaryMitch said:

i have to wonder what he means by "a system not set up to help USA do well."

like... what system do you need, Carl? (ah he's speaking at the USA Track team specifically) - i guess, but i still don't get what system he wants? like. to me a lot of the mistakes are legit brain farts than anything else

Edited by Daisy