Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Legacy

• Start Topic

The minute she walked into the Depot, you knew it was an anvil scene.  I did expect a long shot of her water breaking by the rack of C-fold towels.

And the last "exchange" with Carmy perfectly showcased Syd's brain processing the possibility of "I can decide on MY own menu, asshole".   But she needs to tell Carmy she was straight-out poached. 

Not as a bargaining chip, but things will be worse when he finds out eventually.  And that always happens.  And she needs to get out in front of it with the man who helped get her there.  She owes him the honesty. 

I wish they'd stop with the haunting crap.  It's played out.  Move on.  

• Like 8

I wouldn't blame Syd if she left, honestly. Carmy treats her like garbage half the time. Yes, he "found" her, but he also takes her so for granted that he is dragging down the entire operation by limiting the use of her skills the way he does.

But she also needs to assert herself more. He does listen when she gets serious and tells him what's what. And it's a good skill to have-- an important, necessary skill-- including if she's ever in a position to lead without opposition. 

Did we never hear the result of that review? Seems like a dropped thread.

I don't know how they function while Sugar's out. Even if she didn't take an extended maternity leave, I don't see them coping without her adult presence even a day or two.

The Faks continue to annoy me. I don't really get what they actually do other than goof off.

• Like 15

I don't know what it's gonna take for Nat to stay at The Bear, but I selfishly want her to. Man, when Carmy was just knocking down all of her suggestions, that was brutal. I wish he'd wake up.

I always like getting bits and pieces of the various characters' backgrounds, like that that one guy played AAA baseball.

I wonder if there will be a payoff to people not breaking down boxes, one of the non-negotiable.

I liked the two guys helping in the window section. The thing with bags seemed silly, but they really know what they're talking about. 

• Like 4
On 6/29/2024 at 1:56 PM, SnapHappy said:

And the last "exchange" with Carmy perfectly showcased Syd's brain processing the possibility of "I can decide on MY own menu, asshole".   But she needs to tell Carmy she was straight-out poached. 

I saw it more as her processing the fact that this is NOT a partnership.  First, Carm gives her the list of non-negotiables, the same day as he offers her partnership.  That was Sign #1 that "partner" doesn't fit with Carm's world.  (I think he truly thinks he wants her to be an equal partner, but he's too much of a control freak to let that actually happen.)  Then this, where he doesn't value her input at all. 

I'm not sure I believe that a #2 chef at a restaurant can so easily/quickly get enough financial backing to open his own high end place and offer benefits to his staff.  If Terry couldn't make her place work in that economy, why would this guy get the financial backing to start something similar but brand new? 

Sugar going into labor at an inconvenient time/location was inevitable.  I honestly expected it to happen during the photo shoot, for her to mess up those beautifully buffed out floors just as the photographer was walking in or setting up his first shot. 

I'm liking each episode individually, but not liking the season as a whole.  It seems so disjointed, like with the Tina backstory just shoved into the middle.  Both Seasons 1 and 2 had direction - we knew what they were aiming to do by the season finale.  I just don't see that here.  OK, Sugar had her baby.  Syd may or may not leave/go.  eh, that's not much of a story arc. 

I really don't care about Ritchie and his kid/ex/new BFF Frank.  I don't care about Syd and her dad and her finding her own place, but at least that's not taking up too much screen time.  I don't care about flashbacks to Carm and what's her name.  The restaurant is working, in a sense, but it's bleeding money.  But no one has suggested increasing the price, which I think would be the first step.  $175 seems cheap for that kind of tasting menu. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, chaifan said:

I'm not sure I believe that a #2 chef at a restaurant can so easily/quickly get enough financial backing to open his own high end place and offer benefits to his staff.  If Terry couldn't make her place work in that economy, why would this guy get the financial backing to start something similar but brand new? 

I don't think Chef Terry is closing her restaurant because of finances.  I could see how her CDC could get backing, especially if they can find a way to take over the same space.  The benefits thing is a bit of a stretch, though, unless it's part of a larger restaurant group.  And maybe it will be.  He did say he had some good backers.

• Like 1

I obviously want Syd to stay at The Bear, but I can see why she is looking at other options. Carmy gets so in his head that he so often wont listen to anyone even though he knows she knows what she's talking about. I think that they could form a great partnership if he would listen more and she would speak up. 

Of course this is when Sugar's water breaks, I have no idea what they're going to do without her around to be the adult in the room. 

This season has had a bit too much Faks hijinks, a little bit of the Faks goes a long way. 

• Like 8

Yeah, I pretty much took the woman Richie called at her word when she said it seemed like Terry woke up one day and just didn't want to do it anymore. The restaurant business is a grind, she's accomplished everything, she's ready for the next phase of her life.

I haven't minded the Faks up to now, but the new dude they brought in right after having the new dude that was played by John Cena was too much. If they're going to bring in another Fak it needs to be the woman Sugar hates, not yet another Fak man.

What Carmy and Syd have at this time isn't a true partnership, but neither is what Shapiro is offering, and what Shapiro is offering doesn't have any potential of turning into a true partnership. I think that's what'll tip the balance for Syd towards the restaurant with Carmy, because I assume Syd is not leaving this show. Later in Syd's career I could see her wanting to be the sole decision-maker/creative voice, but right now she wants to bounce ideas back and forth with someone. Carmy doesn't always listen to her enough, but Shapiro wants to be totally hands-off.

• Like 3

Yeah, Nat's water breaking was pretty telegraphed here.  Granted, once they mention that her husband was out of town episodes ago, you kind of knew it was going to happen while he's away.  Looks like The Bear might have to wait on the C-Folds for a bit!

Definitely planting the seeds of Syd possibly leaving The Bear to work with Chef Adam since she will actually be the one running the kitchen, and, to be fair, isn't doing himself any favors with the way he's been dismissing her input and just his general behavior over-all.  That said, Adam's offer seems almost too good to be true, so I wonder if everything isn't on the up and up like he claims it will be.  Her leaving logically makes sense for her career growth, but will carry with it a huge risk.

Interesting that while the fine dining continues to struggle, it seems like the morning/afternoon sandwich sales is still thriving.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

That said, Adam's offer seems almost too good to be true, so I wonder if everything isn't on the up and up like he claims it will be.

It does, but I think he's being honest, which is not to say that his new restaurant will be a utopia. It just looks to be a LOT better environment than The Bear.

(edited)
On 7/1/2024 at 9:37 AM, chaifan said:

I'm liking each episode individually, but not liking the season as a whole.  It seems so disjointed,

I'm struggling with this also. They are trying to show everyone's day-in-the-life, but it's a bit of a pretty mess (pretty because it's still so much better than what else is on offer). With Carmy being such a significant lead character, it's weird when the camera bops around the restaurant and we barely see him. Maybe due to his heavy production schedule with other opportunities?

Maybe the writers are fatigued and struggling to keep it great.

the morning/afternoon sandwich sales is still thriving.

Tasty sandwiches are cheaper and faster than fine dining, so they are attractive to consumers.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 2
On 6/29/2024 at 10:56 AM, SnapHappy said:

I wish they'd stop with the haunting crap.  It's played out.  Move on.  

Yes! A thousand times yes! So stupid. At least this fourth Fak looks like he was related to the other two, unlike John Cena!

On 7/1/2024 at 6:37 AM, chaifan said:

I'm liking each episode individually, but not liking the season as a whole.  It seems so disjointed, like with the Tina backstory just shoved into the middle.  Both Seasons 1 and 2 had direction - we knew what they were aiming to do by the season finale.  I just don't see that here. 

I agree - there is not much actual "plot" this season and I think that's hurting. It's like every single episode is a bottle episode. Too much music and people doing things but not much actual dialogue that moves the story (whatever that is - I can't tell) forward.  It's nice this show was back so quickly this summer, especially after the strikes, but it feels like maybe they should have taken more time to come up with an actual story. 

I think Carmy's speech to Marcus (and the episode title) points to Syd actually leaving - she will take the things she's learned from Carmy to a new place, just like the chefs in Carmy's photo (and Carmy himself).

• Like 2

I am so bored by the faks and the haunting thing. “Stop trying to make fetch happen.”

I don’t want Syd to go. I don’t think she’s ready for that much responsibility TBH. But I can understand why she would be tempted. It’s more money, and chef adam already appreciates her.

am I the only one who likes Claire? Table for one I guess.

i do think there’s an arc to this season though it’s less obvious. Everyone is evaluating what has brought them to this point. Every line of dialogue and scene is in some way making terms with the past. Even the godawful stupid haunting has elements of revisiting the past. 

and when Carmy was at the Al anon meeting I thought that was so important- how the ones apologized to can’t move on and how apologies can stick. Again: the past and it’s impact on the present (and future).

even Syd- she’s considering her future but in the light of her past (as we all do). IRL, when I’m thinking about my future, in my head I create pretty pictures of it. But Sud just keeps showing herself her past.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
On 6/29/2024 at 5:09 PM, peeayebee said:

I liked the two guys helping in the window section. The thing with bags seemed silly, but they really know what they're talking about. 

The one taking orders was, I believe, the guy who had delivered microgreens to Carmy earlier in the season and who had asked when the takeout window was reopening. So both he and the other guy used to work at The Original Beef, and are still available to work with Ebraheim now? And getting rid of baskets and silverware will cover their salaries? (It didn't seem as though previous inefficiency was keeping customers away.)

On 7/17/2024 at 11:17 PM, lucindabelle said:

am I the only one who likes Claire? Table for one I guess.

Nope. I like Claire too. I think she is the other side of the Carmy coin. She has an equally (if not more) demanding career; she was not one of the popular kids growing up and she and Carmy have always been outsiders. Yet where he is filled with anxiety and dread, she is full of joy. She’s good for him and I hope they get back together.

• Love 1