Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E01: The Conspiracy In The Corpse

WendyCR72

Well, not happy.

I don't like how goofy this show could be, but I hate how dark it looks to become. Sweets was arguing that Booth should still trust the system and with him dead, it looks like Booth will go rogue and turn into an antihero. 

We definitely see more of Daisy, I was surprised at how pregnant she was. Also given Sweets said to Booth you would do the same for me, she will definitely be close to the Bs.

I really wish it was more just a solving crime and catch the killer kind of show, but it's clear the writers got bored with that years ago. Why do people who hate mysteries write mysteries? Ah well

I understand the sentiment, Temperance, but I'd argue Bones was as much about the Booth/Brennan will they/won't they dynamic from word go, so I think that had its natural progression until the idiocy of the end of S5 and then S6.

• Love 2

Daisy is very close to delivering Little Lance. From the looks, she got to be at least 6-7 months in.

Here body frame is similar to mine, so if the props department were going for realistic rather than just "obviously pregnant," I'd say nearly 9 months pregnant, which confused me, because they also said this episode was taking place "3 months later." This would mean Daisy was 6 months pregnant at the end of the last season--and visibly "showing." Ah well. That's show biz.
  • Love 1

Since Carla Gallo is pregnant for realsies, I'd think Daisy is going to been seen sparingly for a large part of the season.

Have to agree - the new house suits B&B better than the original. And I love that she just hung stuff up with the bullet holes still in them. A super Brennan move.

Edited by Amerilla
  • Love 2

What a very unpleasant surprise. Sweets was one of my favs. I am trying to talk myself into watching another episode instead of quitting altogether.

I do like the new character but not as a replacement for Sweets.

--which he clearly is. I'm okay with it, because I'm more of a casual Bones viewer than some others I know. But for serious fans, it probably feels like someone giving you a puppy too soon after your dog died.
  • Love 2

I didn't like Sweets when he first showed up but the character did grow on me.  My roommate watched the episode live and, when he was heading to bed, he just shook his head at me and said he couldn't believe the show went there in the premier so I knew SOMETHING big was gonna happen (stupid BFF...that's the closest I have come to being spoiled for something in a long time and I smacked him upside the head for it after I watched the show).  I had a bad feeling they were kill Hodgins but I knew Sweets was a dead man the minute pregnant Daisy walked in.....that was just a huge anvil for me. 

I enjoyed the prison Booth scenes and I am glad they threw in the ""they want you to die in here" line to explain why a former FBI Agent would be in general population.  As soon as they showed him mixing with other inmates it took me out of the show because a cop would not have been thrown in general pop unless someone wanted him dead.  I also liked B & B's new place....and LOVE that she hung the stuff with the bullet holes up because it "didn't make them mean any less" to Booth. 

I am actually excited for this season!

• Love 1

Since Carla Gallo is pregnant for realsies, I'd think Daisy is going to been seen sparingly for a large part of the season.

I didn't realize that. No wonder the belly looked so natural on her. Sometimes it's supremely obvious when an actress is wearing padding but this looked okay.

• Love 1

What a very unpleasant surprise. Sweets was one of my favs. I am trying to talk myself into watching another episode instead of quitting altogether. .

I feel your pain. I've got one more in me, as I'd like to see the wrap up of Sweets' story. Need that closure thing I guess. And I may pop back when the baby is born. We'll see.

About this episode, more and more I'm hoping the crucial statement turns out to be the "I fought back You'd be proud." Mainly because I'd love Sweets to have actively sought DNA evidence - skin under his nails, hair, even a bite! - so we see that there was a good reason for his being beaten to death rather than just shot or hit by a car. It would be lovely if the writers at least give him that last demonstration of how being wicked smart is Sweets' best weapon in a fight.

Edited by el perro fumando
  • Love 4

Holy smokes, did not know that was going to happen.  I loved Sweets and missed him when he was gone for a while before.  Why was a pregnant Daisy necessary?  Just a harder tug at our heartstrings?  Cheap. 

At least we got ONE glimpse of Christine.  I'd begun to think she was a figment of her parents' imagination.  Don't need to see a lot of her on the show, but just a glimpse here and there is needed.  

And as for Cam's hair, hated it.  It seems it might be a new fashion, however, based on the awful make overs on Project Runway Thursday night.  Ugh.  

• Love 1

Have to agree - the new house suits B&B better than the original. And I love that she just hung stuff up with the bullet holes still in them. A super Brennan move.

I had a feeling about that. Was thinking she was pregnant for real. Well congratulations to her :).

Definitely. It's a nice place.

Holy smokes, did not know that was going to happen.  I loved Sweets and missed him when he was gone for a while before.  Why was a pregnant Daisy necessary?  Just a harder tug at our heartstrings?  Cheap. 

At least we got ONE glimpse of Christine.  I'd begun to think she was a figment of her parents' imagination.  Don't need to see a lot of her on the show, but just a glimpse here and there is needed.  

And as for Cam's hair, hated it.  It seems it might be a new fashion, however, based on the awful make overs on Project Runway Thursday night.  Ugh.  

I didn't think it was cheap tbh, especially considering that the actress is extremely pregnant and there's only so much they could have done to hide it if they would have went down that route. I'm glad they did what they did (what happened to Sweets aside).

• Love 2

Are they calling it The Raggedy Ann?

It would still be a cheap shot at fans' heart strings if they brought back Daisy because she was so obviously pregnant and had not otherwise intended to do so.

• Love 1

It would still be a cheap shot at fans' heart strings if they brought back Daisy because she was so obviously pregnant and had not otherwise intended to do so.

I found it to be overkill, on the one hand. But on the other, I'm glad they gave Sweets a few months' happiness. My first reaction was very much a "Screw you, writers, for giving him a baby on the way and then killing him." But I decided I'll try and and assume they were calling back to the dead guy on the subway episode. That whole scene where Booth was telling Sweets, "Think of it this way. At least he died happy." is what I'm trying to think of. Of course, the big difference is that the subway guy was happy and then dead, just like that, with no realization. Whereas Sweets was dying more slowly, in pain, I assume. And knowing he was leaving Daisy and the baby alone. But ... I don't know. It's all I got. He didn't "disappear," which, as he told Hodgins in that episode, he didn't want to do. He created a new life, and he knew at least that the baby and Daisy would be loved. I guess that's something.

Not enough for me. But ... it's something. Oh, Sweets.

• Love 2

For the first time in a long time, I re-watched this episode, and yep, still like it a lot. And loved at the end how Brennan to Cam's very natural "I don't know if I can do this to him," about working on Sweets was "Yes, you can. This is a set of remains that will give us the man who killed Sweets.." Which I think is a pretty fucking awesome mission statement of the whole show. That's what they do, and why.

And another reason I loved this episode, is that original Bones wasn't just some robot, they made her less human starting season five. So annoying. So that scene to me was great with the human interaction of her and Booth clasping hands to support each other before, that she was supportive to Daisy, and while still being herself moved by seeing Sweets' dead body, she was fierce about using that to find his killer. 

Like I said, I really liked this episode. I really liked all the characterizations throughout it. 

• Love 8

For the first time in a long time, I re-watched this episode, and yep, still like it a lot. And loved at the end how Brennan to Cam's very natural "I don't know if I can do this to him," about working on Sweets was "Yes, you can. This is a set of remains that will give us the man who killed Sweets.." Which I think is a pretty fucking awesome mission statement of the whole show. That's what they do, and why.

And another reason I loved this episode, is that original Bones wasn't just some robot, they made her less human starting season five. So annoying. So that scene to me was great with the human interaction of her and Booth clasping hands to support each other before, that she was supportive to Daisy, and while still being herself moved by seeing Sweets' dead body, she was fierce about using that to find his killer. 

Like I said, I really liked this episode. I really liked all the characterizations throughout it. 

Word. I got annoyed with Brennan due to that. Too robotic... and at times too arrogant. Made me want to wring her neck.

Glad that it was dialed down and she was made more human. That's the Brennan I like.

Definitely. Me too. The characterizations were well done.

• Love 1

But then again I've been re-watching Buffy so...

This role suits him so much more than Buffy/Angel ever did. I never realized what a great comedic actor David is until this show came along.

But it's still weird to see him in the sunlight.

• Love 1

This role suits him so much more than Buffy/Angel ever did. I never realized what a great comedic actor David is until this show came along.

I didn't have a TV until the last season of Angel, but I seem to recall some great humor at Wolfram & Hart.

I'm still waiting for a call back from my daughter who used to report on crime scenes with dead bodies--about weather Sweets' blue color was realistic or OTT.

• Love 1

Exhibit A:

Edited by Lovecat
  • Love 4

Maybe I'm just that obtuse, but I genuinely didn't see Sweets' death coming.  I mean, he's laying there in the parking deck and B&B are kneeling there beside him and I keep saying, "They can't really be about to kill off Sweets, right??  Right?!?"  I was gobsmacked.  (I'm glad that JFD's career is becoming wildly successful and understand why he went out this way, but still!)

Looking back at the whole episode, yes, I can see all the anvils that were dropped foreshadowing what was coming but I didn't think such a thing would happen, especially in the season premiere.  Kudos to the show for keeping us on our toes.

That said, I'll miss you, Sweets!!  Watching the Bones blooper reels on YouTube will cheer me up.

• Love 3

Same for me, COESpiral. I had a fleeing moment of confusion when I noticed how much Young FBI Guy Whose Name I've Already Forgotten looked like Sweets, since shoes do tend to keep the same look to a cast, and that Sweets seemed strangely subdued. But when he was laying there, I kept waiting for help to arrive and for them to save him.

• Love 1

Sweets died??? I should have known something would happen when he went alone. I thought his flirtation last Summer with the new Squintern, Jessica Warren meant he had a new story starting. She was a lot like Daisy. Then we see he bumped into Daisy and now she's pregnant. But then kill off Sweets and now she's on her own. I don't get it. I thought he might get hurt on his own, but not killed. But this will really motivate Booth to clean up the FBI and whatever else.

Booth in jail was getting knocked around and beat up. Brennan had to black mail the Judge, Kevin Brady.She says that, "I feel confident you will opt to save your own life!" I hope it don't come back to bite her. Was somebody pushing the inmates to beat up Booth?

Nice to see Caroline coming to help on Booth's case. Still not sure about Deputy Director Victor Stark. Was nice that Booth let him have it.

Saw Christine has grown a lot. Was so cute laying on daddy's lap, sleeping. The credits said Parker was there but I don't remember it. I know it will add to story lines if Christine is older, but I don't know if I really like it. Now if the show last long enough, she will be little Lance's sitter.

Agent James Aubrey reminded me of Sweets. But I wasn't sure of he was good or bad. But I guess for now he is on Booth's side.

I thought Cam's hair being down looked funny. It seemed like she had been wearing a hat. Then finally after Sweets died her hair was up?

Not really sure what team and Clark Edison found on Howard Cooper's body. I remember it was soaked in urine I think to make bones brittle. And it seems there was a lot done to hide his accident. Dr. Glenn Durant may be able to help more.

Liked seeing Rance Howard(Ron Howard's father) as Jerold Norsky, but I worry he knew more then he told Booth and Bones. But I wonder if Hugo Sanderson knows more then he said? Or is he just not wanting them to bug him?? That is why he is telling Stark to stop Booth?

Not really sure what team and Clark Edison found on Howard Cooper's body. I remember it was soaked in urine I think to make bones brittle.

The urine was added to the body to up the content of adipocere on the body. So that when they tried to remove it, they would damage the bones. 

• Love 1

Thank you for mentioning this. I hadn't heard, but her face looked so much fuller that I thought she had to really be pregnant.

• Love 2

I am loving the new mid-century modern house. It suits them so much better than the boring cookie-cutter thing they were living in.

So bummed about Sweets. The diner scenes will never be the same again.

• Love 1

Yea, interesting point about the diner. I don't know how B&B could ever eat there again. So many conversations shared there, at the counter and at the table, and I don't know how they wouldn't see his ghost everywhere they look in that place. One-on-one meals, the trio together, talking about work, about their love lives, etc. It was such a coming-together place for them. It just seems like it would be pretty painful to confront those feelings every time they walk in. (Don't even get me started about the couple of Sweets/Daisy diner scenes.) But maybe that's just me. Maybe they can still go there and focus on the happy times and not sob every time they walk in. Hope so, for their sake!

• Love 2

Was somebody pushing the inmates to beat up Booth?

I don't know if anyone was pushing them exactly but he was put into the general population instead of protective custody as he should have been, with the idea that the other prisoners would beat him up.  Bones did say that he was meant to die in there.

• Love 1

Everyone is going to hate me but I'm kind of happy he's dead...

HERE ME OUT!

I kind of think, Sweets kind of eventually hurt the show. His existence made it more of a cutesy romantic comedy, he kind of took away from the Squints ...And he was a way for Booth to avoid the Squints. If you watch the superior early seasons versus now, Booth doesn't interact much with the Squints outside of Wendell. I know David has, to the huge detriment of the show, asked not to be in the lab. But I just feel there is this huge divide in the show and I've always preferred all the Squints to anyone in the FBI save for Caroline(and I'm including Booth :p).

I haven't watched the show that often in a long time, but why did David ask not to be in the lab?  Hasn't he still been seen in the lab?

I liked Sweets because he did grow on me but I'm not really sure I ever bought him being Booth's partner.  I wonder about some of their ideas.  If they deal with his death in a realistic way, I can deal with it.