Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E06: Challenge #2: Broadway

• Start Topic

Tonight, the top eight dancers take on the Broadway stage as the competition continues. This week the dancers will split into two groups and take on Broadway challenges choreographed Emmy-winning choreographer Al Blackstone and choreographer and director Sarah O'Gleby. Who will rise to the challenge and who will be dancing for their lives in the hopes of remaining on the show? Based on the challenges the bottom performers will have to dance for their lives and someone will be eliminated every week until the season finale where one person will win $100,000 and be crowned the winner of So You Think You Can Dance. Tune into the all-new "Challenge #2: Broadway" episode of So You Think You Can Dance airing Monday, April 22 (9:02 - 10:00 ET/PT) on FOX.

Ouch, we’re getting the showmance edit. I guess they really don’t care about ballroom. Bye Roman. I will miss you. Sad that Jaylin is still in this with his godawful mugging. 

• Like 1

I could never stand the nitpicks the show invented in past seasons to manipulate who got booted each week. But now…the rushed pace, the inane cuts away from the actual performances, the highly scripted judge “feedback” and the tragic underuse of Cat—I think I actually hate the show I once loved. It feels more cruel than productive or entertaining. These dancers are really exceptional. I hope this sore excuse for television programming doesn't leave scars. 

• Like 9
9 minutes ago, ms gilly said:

I could never stand the nitpicks the show invented in past seasons to manipulate who got booted each week. But now…the rushed pace, the inane cuts away from the actual performances, the highly scripted judge “feedback” and the tragic underuse of Cat—I think I actually hate the show I once loved. It feels more cruel than productive or entertaining. These dancers are really exceptional. I hope this sore excuse for television programming doesn't leave scars. 

YES!!!! I hate the performances now. They don't feel "live" and agree with cut aways. Miss Cat. Not sure I will come ti ue watching. This makes me sad

• Like 5
(edited)

Having only a top ten is a huge problem.  How can they possibly get to know the dancers' dancing styles and abilities?

I thought Roman really changed tonight.  He was a completely different dancer by stage time.  It was cool to see.

Showmance?  Not enough to hold this viewer. So tedious that they keep going down this stupidly derivative road when there is no need to do so.

I thought Maks was fun as a judge tonight. 

Edited by crowceilidh
  • Like 6
(edited)
11 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Having only a top ten is a huge problem.  How can they possibly get to know the dancers' dancing styles and abilities?

I thought Roman really changed tonight.  He was a completely different dancer by stage time.  It was cool to see.

Showmance?  Not enough to hold this viewer. So tedious that they keep going done this stupidly derivative road when there is no need to do so.

I thought Maks was fun as a judge tonight. 

I agree with you. Last week, I thought Roman should have been in the bottom. This week, I thought he had a break through during the group number. It's really difficult for a ballroom dancer to compete in the solo rounds. That has always been the case for this show.

I don't know if Roman is a lot older than the others or if it's his Ukraine upbringing, he just seems more serious than the others and is always off to the side. Sorry Roman. You're out since TPTB don't see you causing drama.

So stupid to have a showmance. This is not the Bachelor. Contestants previously got together but it wasn't the main focus of the show. I watch for the dancing.

They purposely put Dakayla and Anthony in the bottom to showcase their relationship. Allison said that he was too goofy in the Broadway number which is dumb. If anybody is too goofy, it would be Jaylin.

Mariyah should have been in the bottom too. She was great last week but the bump did throw her off.  She was out of it more than Dakayla was. Maybe, they figured it was Braylon that bumped into her. In live shows though, you have to bounce back even from somebody else's mistake.

Edit - Maks had a funny moment last week. Someone in the audience yelled "I love you" to Jojo. Jojo said thank you. Maks said, "Not if you had to sit with her for 12 hours" or something like that. At the same time, his hand was making the yakking motion. 

Edited by realdancemom
  • Like 3

I've finally figured out who JoJo reminds me of: Andy Hardy!! (Movie series from the 40s.)

Tonight, I saw the best series of solos I've ever seen on this show. Those kids truly danced for their lives and, I suspect, were releasing a lot of pent-up frustration at not being able to showcase their skills and personality. Always part of a group, no opportunity to truly shine. (I see you!!) 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, crowceilidh said:

Roman's solo where he would stop and pander to the audience reminded me of Elvis Stojko's show pieces.  An odd connection.

I mean, since we’re showing how elderly we are, I see your Elvis Stojko and raise you a Shirtless Phillipe Candeloro Sinking to His Knees.

4 hours ago, Mason said:

I've finally figured out who JoJo reminds me of: Andy Hardy!! (Movie series from the 40s.)

Good grief, you are killing me. Honestly, Jojo doesn’t remind me of anyone except a desperate attention-seeker who really, really wants to fit in with the cool kids. Maybe like the little scrappy dog on Looney Tunes who hangs out with the bulldog? Or Scrappy Doo! 

I liked the first broadway number with the sailors - at least I understood the story without the explanation. I felt like the Cabaret one was messy and just wanted it to be over. 

Minority opinion here but I’m okay with Jaylin. I thought his energy suited the number and he actually seems to be dancing well. I’m okay with him being safe.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I actually enjoyed the drama of the Cabaret piece -- it did not sink into melodrama for me.  I especially thought it blatantly displayed how far Roman had come. 

If we had actually got a chance to get to know these dancers as dancers rather than potential clickbait, I might be moved to protest him being cut.  But on this little aquaintance, bah.

• Like 2

The idea of this format isn't terrible but the execution is. I don't know these kids at all.  In a group dance, someone pops up on-screen and I'm so busy trying to remember their name that I don't really notice the dancing. 

I don't care about who gets cut. I knew it would be guys this time to even things back out. I have no emotional attachment to any of them. The show thinks a package during the auditions makes up for spending time with each contestant in rehearsals and in partnerships. It doesn't. What made it easy to get to know the contestants in the past was seeing them in a variety of situations and seeing not only how they do but hearing partners and choreographers talk about them, who they are and how they are coping. So much of that has been stripped back that its soulless now.

I don't care about the showmance. It's not the first one so I'm not mad about it but when they showed the women talking about it, I had no idea what guy they meant. 

Also, I get why the music video was shot and edited before we saw it because that's how it works in real life. But for Broadway, why didn't they perform it live in front of the audience? That's how that works in real life. Because watching it, I wondered how many times they filmed each dance to get all the angles without other cameras in view and then how they chose to manipulate the takes to justify the cuts. Did the two (I don't know their names!) crash into each other one time out of eight? Did someone mess up in one take and it wasn't shown?  

I just need Cat at the start of the episode to say each person's name and have them do a little dance. I need that visual reminder at the top of the show so I know who we are talking about the rest of the episode. I am a dumb TV person. I know its too late to change it now but it hurts. I would have thought the producers of the show understood the reason they did that for every other season but now I'm thinking they just thought it was to kill time?

• Like 12
  • Love 1

Yeah, what vibeology said. I've never understood the point of hatewatching a TV show, but I hate the fact that I'm watching this utter mess of a season (which has nothing to do with the actual dancers, of course).

• Like 2
20 hours ago, sharifa70 said:

I mean, since we’re showing how elderly we are, I see your Elvis Stojko and raise you a Shirtless Phillipe Candeloro Sinking to His Knees.

Good grief, you are killing me. Honestly, Jojo doesn’t remind me of anyone except a desperate attention-seeker who really, really wants to fit in with the cool kids. Maybe like the little scrappy dog on Looney Tunes who hangs out with the bulldog? Or Scrappy Doo! 

I liked the first broadway number with the sailors - at least I understood the story without the explanation. I felt like the Cabaret one was messy and just wanted it to be over. 

Minority opinion here but I’m okay with Jaylin. I thought his energy suited the number and he actually seems to be dancing well. I’m okay with him being safe.

I'll  see you, and raise you a Bowman the Showman. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1
44 minutes ago, LennieBriscoe said:

I'll  see you, and raise you a Bowman the Showman. 

And let’s throw Paul Wylie in with his JFK program.  

• Like 3
  • Applause 2

I guess I'm hate watching. I fast forwarded through everything but the group dance in the beginning, the two groups performing, the announcement of who the bottom four were, their individual performances, and the elimination. I don't really know or care about any of the contestants. I'd already read who was eliminated before watching and it wasn't much of a spoiler. I knew who Roman was but still had no clue who was Braylen and who was Jaylen. The good news is when you fast forward like that #1 you don't have to listen to the fake judging commentary, #1a especially Jojo, #2 you don't have to suffer through the Big Brother (Big Dancer?) house nonsense, and #3 you can knock out the entire show in about 15 minutes.

• Like 7
15 hours ago, ww92 said:

I guess I'm hate watching. I fast forwarded through everything but the group dance in the beginning, the two groups performing, the announcement of who the bottom four were, their individual performances, and the elimination. I don't really know or care about any of the contestants. I'd already read who was eliminated before watching and it wasn't much of a spoiler. I knew who Roman was but still had no clue who was Braylen and who was Jaylen. The good news is when you fast forward like that #1 you don't have to listen to the fake judging commentary, #1a especially Jojo, #2 you don't have to suffer through the Big Brother (Big Dancer?) house nonsense, and #3 you can knock out the entire show in about 15 minutes.

I agree with all of this; it’s how I’ve been watching as well. All that house stuff is nonsense. They could have had a proper Top 20 with all the time they’re wasting on Dancers Thinking Other Dancers are Cute, or Dancers Choosing Bedrooms, or Dancers Having Breakfast. Also, what a waste of a perfectly good Cat Deeley!

• Like 5
  • Applause 3
On 4/23/2024 at 6:43 PM, sharifa70 said:

Good grief, you are killing me.

Look at this, then tell me you don't see the resemblance!

AndyHardy.jpeg.5e96447f9428e707770f4602fe9bf6e9.jpeg

• LOL 9
2 hours ago, Mason said:

Look at this, then tell me you don't see the resemblance!

AndyHardy.jpeg.5e96447f9428e707770f4602fe9bf6e9.jpeg

My “good grief” wasn’t because I disagreed but because we were making these early 90’s references and being senior citizens and then you came in with your “I see your appropriate dancer references and raise you an I-grew-up-watching-AMC-when-it-was-all-silver-screen-movies and Jojo’s mugging is exactly like Andy Freaking Hardy” and now I can’t unsee it. 

• LOL 5

Like others, I am just watching the performances, and even those are ruined by cut aways to the judges. Such a shame. Survivor has also all but been ruined with changes they are calling "the new era". I guess I am just not cut out for "the new era." 

If anyone has Amazon Prime and wants to see some amazing dancing I can recommend..

https://www.screenhub.com.au/news/reviews/dance-life-prime-review-australian-reality-show-boosts-the-soul-2632939/#:~:text=The Sydney-based docuseries rewards,delivers on genuinely spectacular choreography.

• Like 2
(edited)
On 4/24/2024 at 4:18 PM, Tigregirl said:

And let’s throw Paul Wylie in with his JFK program.  

What no Brian Boitano and Brian Orser - the battle of the Brians.  Come on now.

The only thing I like is the choreographers giving feedback since they seem to be impartial.

Edited by Diana Berry
  • Like 1
  • LOL 2

So I saw a post somewhere I think it was Derek Hough's insta where he challenges his team of dancers to do a cold plunge. This is during his current tour and interesting because of Haley now dancing again. Of course I watched for Alexis who is doing his show, but one of this season's contestants is also on Derek's tour- I was surprised to see Easton.  So regardless of how this show stupidly scripts about how this is some sort of boot camp for their future the truth is contestants are already working and are only doing this show for name recognition not to learn about other dance styles or how to perform. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
15 hours ago, Andiethewestie said:

So I saw a post somewhere I think it was Derek Hough's insta where he challenges his team of dancers to do a cold plunge. This is during his current tour and interesting because of Haley now dancing again. Of course I watched for Alexis who is doing his show, but one of this season's contestants is also on Derek's tour- I was surprised to see Easton.  So regardless of how this show stupidly scripts about how this is some sort of boot camp for their future the truth is contestants are already working and are only doing this show for name recognition not to learn about other dance styles or how to perform. 

I get that, I do. One of the genuinely lovely things about the show was watching people adapt…tappers to ballroom, ballet dancers to krump. And that’s gone. 

• Like 6

I record the eps b/c I’m not able to watch them live. In the past, I couldn’t wait to watch them. Now, I wait a week or more.  Not the same show.  Not connected to the dancers.  Make it go away.  Sad as I am to say that. 

• Like 5