Type keyword(s) to search

Nicole Franzel: Froot-Loop Dingus

Okay, harsh, I know.  But honestly, Zach's insult is one of the few memorable lines of this summer.  And besides, I don't actually know what it means…

I found Nicole admirably spunky and more willing to challenge the power than anyone else in the house besides Donny.  And also, despite her self-described "chunky thighs" complaint, pretty darn hot when she'd take down her hair and take off the glasses.  Plus, she's a devoted fan of the show (I loved her pouty "I wanted to see Zingbot!" when she realized she was getting voted out, the first time) and somewhat emblematic of all the things the show did right in casting this year, despite the summer-long borefest the season's become.  I mean, if you had told me that there would be NO smokers (and thus no "smoker's corner" advantage, as there is most seasons), far less overt bigotry (if only they'd do something about the misogyny) and fully half the cast as "superfans" to combat the over-reliance on recruited models/actors, I'd have been all "bring it on!".  (To say nothing of the fact that this is only the 7th time in 16 years [s1-S3, S10, S12, and last season] where we've had an all-new cast, without any "pre-existing relationship" twists.)

BUT…Nicole also kind embodies why the "superfans vs. recruits" twist, and the year as a whole, has IMO been such a gigantic flop.  She was so easily manipulated by fellow "real person" Christine into hating the recruited "hotties" (Joey, Paola, Brittany, Amber) that it destroyed any chance of the girls working together, whereas the male "fans" had no problems in keeping the recruited Caleb and Devin as useful meatshields.  (The fact that Caleb did his recruiting while he was HoH didn't hurt, of course.)  By the time Nicole was ready to make any sort of move (as opposed to her Week 3 "HoH" where she gladly yielded the majority of the Week to Derrick, and consented to the obvious elimination of Devin, not that this was a bad thing), she was seriously lacking in numbers.

And then there was her complete uselessness on re-entering the game.  From not remembering the days in the "knockout" calendar competition (which was bad enough) to obdurately pushing in the same wrong answer three times in a row (!), from her non-effort in the counting Veto to her blank confusion in the "dynamite" memory Veto, she couldn't have had less of an effect on the game if they'd brought back one of Jocasta's bow-ties instead of her.  (Not to mention what was apparently nothing but a week full of crying rather than strategy as her second exit drew near.)  Apparently, Nic really missed all that Hayden-lovin' she'd been getting in Jury; who knew that the secret of turning on girls lay in not having lips?   The things you learn…

Still, I did like and enjoy her, overall.  Even if I've never quite forgiven her for that fan-made "3.00 A.M." t-shirt she was wearing during part of her intro segment.  That's the group (Aaryn/Andy/Amanda/McCrae) you were rooting for last year?  Nicole, ya Froot-Loop dingus, ya…

Edited by DAngelus
  • Love 1

Interesting tidbits from Nicole's mom:

And as far as the game, the proud mom said she couldn’t be happier with her daughter’s journey on the show.  “She stayed herself. She was true to herself the entire time.”

The network of supporters no longer consists of locals and nationwide fans, but others with personal ties to the show. The shows producers call once a week, and are available 24/7 to provide updates and emotional support for the families. Jeni Franzel also said they would e-mail her anytime Nicole was going to “be sad on the show,” just to ease the viewing experience.  “They (the producers) check up on you a lot,” Jeni Franzel said. “They told me (Nicole) is a strong competitor. She does (everything) with a good attitude. When bad things happen, she smiles and laughs it off right after.”

I think these two weeks will tell a lot between Nicole and Hayden,” Jeni Franzel said. “I think when she comes out she will have a really good idea if it’s something they want to continue or just be friends. That’s going to be one of my first questions.”  But it’s clear no one would be disappointed if they got together. Included in the Franzel’s personal support network are several contestants family members including the girlfriend of show favorite Donny Thompson, Caleb Reynolds mom and brother, and of course, Voss’ mom.  Jeni Franzel said she often talks to the mother of Nicole’s love interest, and recently spoke with her for two hours.  “She loves Nicole,” Jeni Franzel said. As do many of the other contestants family members.

Through the experience, it’s obvious Nicole’s life is not the only one to change.  Jeni Franzel said she is constantly asked to do various interviews for radio shows and newspaper articles.  “I can’t even imagine what (Nicole’s) going to be asked to do,” she said. The producers told her that when contestants come home all depends on how many television shows and other various engagements they are invited to. Something contestants, once again, will have no idea of until the end of the season. Fortunately, none of the contestants will come out empty handed. Jeni Franzel said they do receive a stipend, though she has no idea of the amount.

Jeni Franzel said they have been sending T-shirts “out everywhere” including to big-time supporters, the Los Angeles Dodgers. The entire family was invited to be their guests at an upcoming game.  “I thought it was really sweet,” she said.

As for who she would like to see win, Jeni Franzel said she thinks Reynolds should take the $500,000 prize.  “He’s loyal. He tells you straight up what he thinks. ... My second choice is Victoria.”  But she thinks Nicole will vote for head game player Derrick Levasseur. She said Nicole probably will be most surprised to learn that Reynolds is more loyal than Levasseur — the latter of whom Nicole admires as a big brother figure.  “The things he (Levasseur) has done behind her back are too personal for me to want him to win,” she said.

http://www.michigansthumb.com/news/article_f3e0afe6-35c4-11e4-8a5e-001a4bcf887a.html

Trivia:

Nicole is the first houseguest to wear two different costumes for two consecutive weeks.
She is the second person and first female to wear two costumes in one season, following Frank Eudy
Nicole is the first female to remain Head of Household for the week after the Battle of the Block competition.
Nicole is the only female houseguest to win HOH multiple times in Big Brother 16.
Nicole is the first person in Big Brother history to win HOH and be evicted in the same week in a non-double eviction week.
She is the first female to re-enter the game through a twist since Amy Crews in Big Brother 3 (Sharon Obermueller from BB9 did not re-enter the house due to a twist).
Nicole is tied with Christine Brecht for the most competition wins for a female in Big Brother 16 with 5.
She is the second houseguest to return to the house from jury and not win HoH or be evicted immediately upon returning, the first being Judd Daughtery.

http://bigbrother.wikia.com/wiki/Nicole_Franzel

• Love 1

She is the second houseguest to return to the house from jury and not win HoH or be evicted immediately upon returning, the first being Judd Daughtery.

That's just the law of averages, though;  we've now had two returnees who were immediately re-evicted (Kaysar, Brendon), two or three who won HoH (Amy [although that was thrown to her], James Z., and one can possibly count Sharon here, although she re-entered during the previous week and it was a joint HoH with Joshuah) and two who did neither.  Seems a fairly normal distribution pattern.

I've been reading up on the Live Feeds thread (i don't do that as the season is going, for fear of spoilers) and it's harder and harder for me to keep liking Nicole.   She really comes off as Christine, Jr. in those reports.   The time when Brittany was doing the 2400 soccer kicks and Amber expressed sympathy and Nicole said her having to wear the Germitard was worse?  Ugh.  And she was actually insulted by "Froot Loop Dingus" and told Zach that he'd offended her family?  Really?

Gee, sorry Franzels…eh, not really.

I thought it was fruit loop dingus

Well, to my knowledge, Zach's never "literally" spelled it out, but I assumed it was in reference to the cereal, which (for whatever reason) uses the "Froot" spelling.  (Perhaps because no actual fruits are used in the cereal?)

Myself, I still don't even know what a "dingus" is, or is supposed to be.  The dictionary definition is that it's something/someone who is unknown, forgotten, or being omitted…which makes it a strange choice for a call-out.

Well, to my knowledge, Zach's never "literally" spelled it out, but I assumed it was in reference to the cereal, which (for whatever reason) uses the "Froot" spelling. (Perhaps because no actual fruits are used in the cereal?)

Myself, I still don't even know what a "dingus" is, or is supposed to be. The dictionary definition is that it's something/someone who is unknown, forgotten, or being omitted…which makes it a strange choice for a call-out.

He said in some interview that it's Froot Loop like the cereal.

Plus, she's a devoted fan of the show (I loved her pouty "I wanted to see Zingbot!" when she realized she was getting voted out, the first time) 

I felt for her then. I wish they'd brought the jury members in for that, too. 

Trivia:

Nicole is the first houseguest to wear two different costumes for two consecutive weeks.

Nicole is the only female houseguest to win HOH multiple times in Big Brother 16.

http://bigbrother.wikia.com/wiki/Nicole_Franzel

Those are all interesting, but I highlighted my favorites. Being a fan of the game, I'm sure she'll enjoy that. 

Myself, I still don't even know what a "dingus" is, or is supposed to be.  The dictionary definition is that it's something/someone who is unknown, forgotten, or being omitted…which makes it a strange choice for a call-out.

A nonentity, or someone not worth bothering about, which works for me. Dingus=doofus=ditz=space cadet=Froot Loop in my personal insult thesaurus. Insulting someone's intelligence or usefulness, but not being super mean about it. 

Also, for all the years I spent watching my younger brothers devouring that cereal, while I tried not to look because it made my teeth hurt, you'd think I'd remember that the cereal is spelled Froot Loops. 

I like having superfans on the game, just because it can make for some interesting conversations between those in the know and those who are new. However, I don't think it gives them any great edge in the game. They know to pay attention to all the events in the house, and details like appearance, and what the timing of events is likely to be, but that's it. There are a lot of superfans of sports out there, but that doesn't mean they can play the game worth a damn. I think it takes a lot of self-awareness to analyze one's own skills and weaknesses physically, mentally, and emotionally, and see how you could apply those to come up with a strategy for the game. Someone as young as Nicole isn't quite as ready to do that as someone who has had a few years beyond college, I think. Not that it can't or hasn't happened: just that it is not a given. 

I really liked Nicole all the way through. I didn't like that she could get nasty behind someone's back, but I see that about the same way I see the guys joking about bloody sex acts. I also see that as a way to blow off steam in that house, where they live on top of each other for months. People complain about people they love and like all the time behind their backs. And when she finally woke up to what was going on in the house, she had a good lock on who was running the house and how. It is a shame that she became a target for the second time by complementing Derrick on running the house.

I think Derrick could have trusted her, and if they hadn't been able to get Frankie out, he might have eventually regretted sending Nicole home, but they were able to shut down Frankie without her help. Thank heaven. 

BUT…Nicole also kind embodies why the "superfans vs. recruits" twist, and the year as a whole, has IMO been such a gigantic flop.  She was so easily manipulated by fellow "real person" Christine into hating the recruited "hotties" (Joey, Paola, Brittany, Amber) that it destroyed any chance of the girls working together, whereas the male "fans" had no problems in keeping the recruited Caleb and Devin as useful meatshields.  (The fact that Caleb did his recruiting while he was HoH didn't hurt, of course.)  By the time Nicole was ready to make any sort of move (as opposed to her Week 3 "HoH" where she gladly yielded the majority of the Week to Derrick, and consented to the obvious elimination of Devin, not that this was a bad thing), she was seriously lacking in numbers.

Late to respond, but I think this is very insightful. There is a huge difference between how many perceive themselves and what is important and women. Men care about looks but I don't think that they are as intimidated by another man who is better looking then them. Christine and Nicole were struggling with how to relate to women who are defined as hotties by society when they are seen as nerds. Derrick could care less that Cody and Caleb were seen as hotter then he was. Nicole and Christine feel back onto the "I hate hot women and all the attention that they get and why don't men pay attention to me" line of thought while the men simply worked to figure out how to get to the end of them game.

We label men just like we label women, jocks, hot, cute, nerd, geek and the like. There are stereotypes and a hierarchy, the jocks pick on the nerds but the men seem to be able ignore or skirt the "rules" when they want to/need to and women seem to struggle with that more. So all Cody had to do was show more interest in Christine then Amber and Christine was happy. Cody showed any interest in Amber and Christine was upset. Christine and Nicole bonded over bashing the pretty women and could not find a way to work with them. Christine, Nicole, and Victoria were all OK with working to be the last woman in the house because it meant they were more highly valued by the men then the other woman.

I don't think that this is something particular to these women, I do think that it says something about how women perceive themselves and other women and how we are raised to think about ourselves in this society. It was easier for Joey and Pao Pao to suggest and all women alliance because they have been treated well by others and have a confidence in themselves because of their looks. Christine, Jacosta, Victoria and Nicole did not think that they could work with other women because of their own insecurities. I have not seen too many mens alliances fall apart because the men were worried about or angry  how hot the hot men in the alliance were being treated by the women.

• Love 1

In S18.Ep29, Nicole spilled a bottle of nail polish on the furniture.  There was a flattened box of Froot Loops right there in the scene.

Froot-Loop Dingus!

Edited by K-9
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

Did she get work done? It's subtle enough to the point where I'm wondering if it's work or just aging plus her not wearing glasses. Anyway she's got a big-ass Target on her back being a winner so it'll be interesting to see if she can avoid being an early boot.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1

I still remember Nicole tearfully asking someone if she said a racist word and having to be assured she wasn't like those people from last year, aka the Year That Got Multiple People Fired. That might have been BB After Dark. They sure as hell wouldn't let people reference 15 on the actual show.

Edited by methodwriter85

Is there any way to know how this season has effected (for better or worse) the number of NF's followers on SM?  I'd like to think everyone hates her as much as I do (lol) but think that's probably not the case in the real world.

Edited by GeorgiaRai
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, GeorgiaRai said:

Is there any way to know how this season has affected (for better or worse) the number of NF's followers on SM?  I'd like to think everyone hates her as much as I do (lol) but think that's probably not the case in the real world.

Someone on Reddit is keeping track of the IG followers for BB22.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BigBrother/comments/j8b1qq/instagram_tracking_janelle_remains_at_1_tyler/

• Useful 1

^^ Since Kaysar left the screen.

Nicole has the worst case of Janelleousy that I've ever seen. I'd love for her to find out on-camera how much she lost in sponsorship deals because of this show. 

• Love 5