Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show In The Media

My local CBS affiliate, in Northeast Indiana, reported today that Dave will be appearing at his alma mater, Ball State University in Muncie (Muncie is between my hometown & Indianapolis--closer to Indy), on November 30th with filmmakers Spike Jonze & Bennett Miller (I think that's his name... It's in the linked article too). Ticket information, for anyone close enough to come, is in the linked article.

http://wane.com/2015/11/12/david-letterman-returning-to-ball-state-on-nov-30/

Edited by BW Manilowe

So... Dave was back at his alma mater, Muncie, Indiana's Ball State University, last night. He was there with filmmakers Spike Jonze & Bennett Miller. And while he was there, he donated all his memorabilia from *both* the NBC & CBS late night shows--including his Emmys & at least 1 set--to the school. The memorabilia will be housed in the Letterman Building on campus (which, as I remember, is the school's telecommunications study & broadcasting facility, which was endowed by Dave & named for him the last time he visited the school); it will be part of something the school's calling "The David Letterman Experience".

Here's a link to a press release the school released about the donation & Dave's visit last night:

http://cms.bsu.edu/news/articles/2015/11/letterman-gives-collection-of-career-memorabilia-to-ball-state

This article has a minute-by-minute recap of Dave's program last night, from the Muncie Star-Press. But it might be hard to get to. It's 1 of those newspaper sites where you only have a certain number of free articles you can access per month, &/or you have to have an account/password with the site (probably from being a subscriber) to access it. If you can access it, read the timeline from the bottom to the top.

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/news/local/2015/11/30/live-blog-david-letterman-ball-state/76584872/

This is coverage of Dave's visit from WTHR, the NBC affiliate in Indianapolis & the NBC affiliate for the Muncie viewing area. At the top of the page, there's a video screen of some of Dave's presentation; there's a 1 2 under that. If you click the 2, that takes you to a second, much shorter video clip.

There are also photos from the event on the WTHR page, & screen grab type things of a few Tweets about it. If you go to Twitter, & you search #DaveatBallState (typed just like that), you should get most, if not all, of the Tweets about the event.

http://www.wthr.com/story/30634346/david-letterman-to-donate-set-memorabilia-to-ball-state

And... Get a load of the current state of his beard (some pics/video included in the above links should be good enough to see it). I'm just saying.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 1

...it will be part of something the school's calling "The David Letterman Experience".

Get a load of the current state of his beard (some pics/video included in the above links should be good enough to see it). I'm just saying.

"The David Letterman Experience" is just asking for some jokes from Dave. I somehow don't think he had any say in the name.

With that beard he looks like my father-in-law, who has no sense of humor, so the look is odd for me.

• Love 1

The NYT article is interesting. Sounds like the discussion got a little contentious when Dave pressed the directors on discrimination in Hollywood.  Dave was always the best late night host with regard of pushing back on stuff, and expressing his opinion. Sounds like he's even being more forthcoming in this kind of forum.

I would love for Dave to come back to TV, if even for limited specials. I could see him doing something on PBS every once and a while. I miss him! and I think he is thoughtful and has important things to say. (Unabashed, unapologetic Dave fan.)

• Love 5

The NYT article is interesting. Sounds like the discussion got a little contentious when Dave pressed the directors on discrimination in Hollywood. Dave was always the best late night host with regard of pushing back on stuff, and expressing his opinion. Sounds like he's even being more forthcoming in this kind of forum.

I would love for Dave to come back to TV, if even for limited specials. I could see him doing something on PBS every once and a while. I miss him! and I think he is thoughtful and has important things to say. (Unabashed, unapologetic Dave fan.)

Shortly after The Late Show ended, it was announced he's going to be the Correspondent on a special for NatGeo (aka National Geographic Channel) related to climate change. He's filming it in India in January, they said. I posted about it here when it was announced; it's not as far upthread as I thought--the post is on the previous page (at least in the Mobile version of the site).

Edited by BW Manilowe

That was a wonderful interview. Thanks for the link! Now I want to move to Montana, even if it is too wide.

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed it, & actually posted you did. The Whitefish Review is an arts magazine in Montana (I knew it was a specialized type of magazine, but couldn't remember what type when I posted the link). I laughed when Dave said Montana's too wide, & I loved when the writer said Dave could be an intern at the magazine if he wanted. And the scenic photography with Dave's article was beautiful.

Edited by BW Manilowe

Dave's apparently on vacation, presumably with the family, in St. Bart's. Not only is he still bearded, but he's also now BALD!

I was a little concerned when I saw #davidletterman was trending on Twitter, so checked the news --  glad he is having a great time in St. Bart's -- but whoa, what a transformation.  It's the lack of glasses, combined with the shiny head, and that he appears heavier in the face, that all make him almost unrecognizable.  Hope he is having a blast. 

Thanks for posting this. Good to see he's enjoying himself. And I would have totally walked by him in the street and had no idea who he was...

I know! I've known for a long time that Dave went to Ball State University & also that St. Bart's is apparently a favorite vacation spot of his (& of a lot of celebs, for that matter), & I don't even think his wearing a Ball State shirt in that pic would've helped me recognize him if they hadn't said it was him (or if I'd also been in St. Bart's & run into him, unless I heard him say something to me or someone else). That pic makes me wonder, though, if the baldness was another choice since his retirement, like the "Santa" beard, or if he was hiding that his hair was going for who knows how long during the show. I don't think it's gone due to illness/treatment for an illness; there haven't been rumors or verified reports of that in any celebrity media sources I follow, on social media or elsewhere.

• Love 1

How have I survived an entire year without Dave?  Watching this makes me question that even more... 

Thanks for posting that KoB...that was lovely.

• Love 5

I just saw a commercial for Dateline: On Assignment for this coming Sunday.  Dave will be interviewed - beard and all! It's on at 7pm Eastern (the real time zone :) )

• Love 2
16 hours ago, ebk57 said:

I just saw a commercial for Dateline: On Assignment for this coming Sunday.  Dave will be interviewed - beard and all! It's on at 7pm Eastern (the real time zone :) )

Dave says he couldn't care less about what's going on now in late night TV, & he wishes his show had gone to a woman (he wasn't consulted on who was getting the job). There's also an excerpt from the Dateline: On Assignment interview at the link. It was done in Indianapolis over Memorial Day Weekend, by Tom Brokaw.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/david-letterman-i-couldnt-care-901143

So this is apparently a real Hillary Clinton campaign ad. I am dying to know how this went down -- since Worldwide Pants owns the rights to "Late Show," someone at WWP must have given the approval to let them use this clip, right?

• Love 2

As many/most are (everyone is?) aware, Bill Murray was the first & last guest on Dave's show. According to (I think) an Associated Press mini-article in a collection of entertainment news mini-articles published today in my local morning paper, Bill is being presented with the Kennedy Center's Mark Twain Prize for American Humor in a tribute program scheduled for taping on October 23rd (which will eventually air on PBS; usually early the next year, as I remember) & Dave & Paul Shaffer will be among those paying tribute to Bill during the program. Here's the link to the article; it's the top item in it.

http://www.journalgazette.net/entertainment/celebrities/Murray-toget-Twainhumor-prize-15228668

Edited by BW Manilowe
Second thoughts about some punctuation choices.
  • Love 3

In addition to not being able to get tickets to the Mark Twain awards (if I'd known Dave would be there, I would have tried earlier!), I also can't get tickets to the interview Dave is doing at The New Yorker Festival next month.  Honestly, I had no idea The New Yorker threw a festival.  I'll have to look into next year's at an earlier date.

http://festival.newyorker.com/calendar/

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

In addition to not being able to get tickets to the Mark Twain awards (if I'd known Dave would be there, I would have tried earlier!), I also can't get tickets to the interview Dave is doing at The New Yorker Festival next month.  Honestly, I had no idea The New Yorker threw a festival.  I'll have to look into next year's at an earlier date.

http://festival.newyorker.com/calendar/

You really shouldn't feel too badly (though maybe disappointed, yes; especially if you're a DC area local) about missing the Twain Prize presentation, except maybe if you wanted to go regardless of who was being honored &/or paying tribute to them, since they didn't announce the lineup of those honoring Bill Murray until Tuesday, & it doesn't appear there were any leaks ahead of the official announcement; an advance leak on Dave & Paul's involvement might've been the only thing that could've helped you. By yesterday (Wednesday), a good chunk of the tix were probably already taken in presales to KenCen members, & perhaps non-member donors, &/or DC/national political bigwigs interested in attending. Besides, as I said earlier, it'll eventually air, I think usually early the year after it's taped (so sometime in 2017), on PBS. So people here--like you (& me)--who are interested in seeing the show for Dave, Paul, Bill, or anyone else will eventually see it. But I know, at least when someone you like is involved, it's much better seeing it live than taped & on TV.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a sentence & clarifying word I forgot.

I came "this" close to getting tickets to the Kennedy Center Honors when Dave and Zep were honored.  I'm still scarred by it since it was kinda my own fault.  And now Dave is here again.  I know there was no way I could have known, but still...I'm disappointed.  

And yes, I think the show will air earlier than next year.  The Honors are on right after Christmas and this one goes first.

Trump was on The Tonight Show last night. I didn't watch, but it seems to have gone exactly as I expected it would, and you can't help but think of Dave and how he wasn't afraid to give Trump a hard time.

David Letterman had no problem calling Donald Trump a racist

No one should have expected Jimmy Fallon to go tough on Trump. That was Letterman’s job.

From June and the Brokaw interview: Letterman slams Trump: 'He's despicable' and the nearly identical David Letterman on Donald Trump: 'He's Repugnant to People'

Somewhere upthread, I think more than once, I mentioned Dave had been signed, or whatever you wanna call it, to host what I guess is best described as an episode of a series National Geographic Channel is doing on climate change (other celebs will be hosting other episodes). EW.com (Entertainment Weekly's website) posted an article about Dave's segment earlier today. They give a premiere date of October 30 in the article; that seems to be for the first episode of the show, but it's not clear (at least to me) if that's Dave's episode or not.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/09/16/david-letterman-years-living-dangerously-trailer?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

• Love 2

Another article, from The Hollywood Reporter, on Dave's National Geographic Channel program. This says after the 1st episode on October 30th, the series moves to Wednesdays (just in case Dave's ep isn't on October 30th).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/david-letterman-tv-return-video-929704?utm_source=twitter

Edited to add...

A 3rd article, from Variety, which says Dave got to interview the Prime Minister of India for his episode. It also confirms his episode, Into the Light, will air on October 30th on National Geographic Channel.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/david-letterman-trailer-nat-geo-years-of-living-dangerously-1201862890/

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add more info & another link.
  • Love 1

Letterman Has No Love for ‘Damaged’ Trump

In an interview, Mr. Letterman gave his thoughts on the Republican presidential nominee and why he considers him “a person to be shunned.”

How did you feel about the Clinton campaign using the “Late Show” video in an anti-Trump ad?

It made me a wealthy man. [laughs, then seriously] I was flattered. I was pleased. I felt like I still have a small voice in this. I thought it was good.

ETA: Video from Dave's National Geographic episode here

http://yearsoflivingdangerously.com/story/david-letterman-india/

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 3