Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show In The Media

(edited)

Paul and The World's Most Dangerous Band* returned to the Ed Sullivan Theater on Monday.

*I didn't see everyone, though.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

David Letterman and Sen. Al Franken were both feeling frustrated about pessimism around the topic of climate change - so they got together to talk about it. Thankfully they invited some cameras along, too, with the help of Funny or Die and the Primetime Emmy Award-winning "Years of Living Dangerously."

The fruits of their conversations can be seen in the digital series "Boiling the Frog with Senator Al Franken." Their talks run the gamut from serious to funny as they take on everything from coal and carbon prices to Letterman's retirement beard in the six 5-minute shorts that begin rolling out Monday on funnyordie.com and its Facebook page with a new installment each week.

Read more at the AP: Q&A: Franken, Letterman take on climate change

Episode 1 of 6: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/8fd42231b4/boiling-the-frog-ep-1-senator-al-franken-takes-on-climate-change

• Love 1

Paul was on the Le Batard Show on ESPN a few days ago. If you want to look it up. He wasn't the best fit as a guest for that show (something stated by the hosts), but he was charming as always.

• Love 1
On 5/16/2017 at 0:30 PM, ebk57 said:

Dave is getting the Mark Twain Award from the Kennedy Center!  I must figure out a way to get a ticket...

I know - quoting yourself may cause blindness, but...  I GOT A TICKET!!!!!  

I'm thrilled - and I'll report back!!

• Love 3

I'm really excited about Dave coming back.  I think the format of the new Netflix show will work to his strengths.  When it wasn't the latest airhead starlet promoting a new TV show that everybody and their uncle knew would be canceled after 3 episodes aired, Dave was a really good interviewer.  

And yes, the beard has to go.  Probably the primary reason his wife Regina may have been encouraging him to take the new gig.  

• Love 1
On 8/9/2017 at 5:23 PM, ebk57 said:

I know - quoting yourself may cause blindness, but...  I GOT A TICKET!!!!!  

I'm thrilled - and I'll report back!!

Very happy for you--Enjoy! And when it airs on PBS hopefully you can tell us if anything got cut for time, or whatever.

• Love 2
On 8/31/2017 at 1:03 PM, BW Manilowe said:

According to this, Dave is (among other things) refusing to shave his beard for the new show.

Nothing wrong with A beard. But geez. Can't he at least trim it? A nice close to the face trimmed beard might look good on him.

I wonder if he's done with the rug on his head too?

Edited by Kromm
On 10/4/2017 at 2:28 PM, BW Manilowe said:

From The Hollywood ReporterDave to Appear on Jimmy Kimmel Live!

Jimmy is doing his now-annual week of shows in Brooklyn October 16-20; Dave will guest on 1 of the shows (the article doesn't specify which show). Paul Shaffer will be sitting in all week with Jimmy's house band, Cleto and the Cletones.

Letterman talked about this visit back when he was on Howard Stern in August. (a great listen, if you can find it).

Also, kimmel is close with Paul...they watched the eclipse together after having a meal in NYC.

From the Washington Post article:

Which is not to say he’s a shut-in. Letterman has just signed a deal to develop a six-episode Netflix show. He’s gone on Howard Stern, Norm Macdonald’s video podcast, showed up at former “Late Show” writer Steve Young’s class at NYU, and even popped into Indianapolis to speak at the dedication of a statue for retired Colts quarterback Peyton Manning. There was also his appearance on “Them Yo People,” a program that airs in St. Louis at midnight on Sundays.

Found it!

• Love 1

Here is one of the first articles about Dave and the Mark Twain ceremony -- and look at the picture of him with Harry -- who is growing into the face of the young Dave Letterman.  I can hardly wait to see this broadcast (November 20) -- Paul Shaffer was there (of course), but also Alan Kalter, and Biff Henderson; Steve Martin and Norm MacDonald, and so many more.  And Dave's THERAPIST (so they claim, but speaking so unprofessionally that I wondered -- but maybe Dave said "go for it"?)!  I am so pleased for Dave! 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/david-lettermans-friends--and-shrink--make-his-twain-ceremony-as-funny-as-his-late-night-legacy/2017/10/23/b4f5a816-b79b-11e7-be94-fabb0f1e9ffb_story.html 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 2

And here's  how The Hollywood Reporter saw the event. It seems like, wherever we see David & the family (like at the Indianapolis 500) there always seem to be "extra" children with them, besides Harry. If they're the same ones at every event, I've forgotten if they're friends of Harry's, or related to either Regina or David (Like maybe David's sister's kids? I seem to remember that's who was in pics of/TV interviews with Dave & the family done at Indy earlier this year).

The show is fabulous!!  I laughed pretty much non-stop until Jimmy Walker's bit.  And then I laughed, just not as hard. I especially liked John Mulaney, which surprised me only because I don't know him all that well, but I thought he was really funny, and sincere.  I loved Steve Martin and Jimmy Kimmel and Dave's shrink.  She was a little awkward getting off stage after she was done.  I wonder if that makes the broadcast.  When Martin Short came on to do his song, I wondered whether he and Paul would come to blows because they had to start the song again since Martin was off the beat.  Paul blames Martin.  Martin blamed Paul.  Then Paul just apologized and said let's start over.  Since I was in the second balcony, I couldn't tell if this was all in good fun, or if they were really mad at each other.  If it makes the broadcast, we'll know it was a joke...   And the song was only okay.  I also didn't love Bill Murray's bit as much as the newspapers did.  At this point, I'm blaming the second balcony seat.  I was happy about Michelle Obama's video tribute, and Eddie Vetter singing Warren Zevon made me tear up. 

My seat was in a good place to watch Dave and family throughout the evening.  So that worked out.  He was funny while shouting down to the stage a few times during the evening. 

17 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

And here's  how The Hollywood Reporter saw the event. It seems like, wherever we see David & the family (like at the Indianapolis 500) there always seem to be "extra" children with them, besides Harry. If they're the same ones at every event, I've forgotten if they're friends of Harry's, or related to either Regina or David (Like maybe David's sister's kids? I seem to remember that's who was in pics of/TV interviews with Dave & the family done at Indy earlier this year).

When Dave took the stage, he did mention Tommy Robato (sp?) who was the kid sitting next to Harry during the last Late Show.  So I'm guessing that the entourage is made up of a lot of the same kids.  Also, here's a link to the local radio station coverage of the red carpet (I couldn't get close enough to actually see any of the people in the hallway... poor planning on my part, I guess).  Dave mentions Harry being backstage with his cousins.  There are a whole bunch of interviews in the link.  It was amusing to hear the reporters ask the same question from every guest.  Well, amusing for the first 3 or 4 times.  Then it was annoying.

https://wtop.com/entertainment/2017/10/no-joke-tv-host-letterman-honored-with-mark-twain-prize/slide/1/

After the show, I walked past Senator Franken and almost stopped to offer my appreciation of everything he's doing, but chickened out.  He seemed happy to talk to anyone who wanted to chat.  I took a couple of pics from my seat after the show was over, but since I was so far away, I enjoy them, but you all probably wouldn't.  

All in all, a fine time was had by me.  I can't wait to see the broadcast and I hope I'll be able to figure out what's missing.  The evening ran about 2:20, so I'm sure some of it will be cut.

I do apologize for the run-on paragraph and disorganized thoughts.  Writing isn't one of my strengths.

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

The show is fabulous!!  I laughed pretty much non-stop until Jimmy Walker's bit.  And then I laughed, just not as hard. I especially liked John Mulaney, which surprised me only because I don't know him all that well, but I thought he was really funny, and sincere.  I loved Steve Martin and Jimmy Kimmel and Dave's shrink.  She was a little awkward getting off stage after she was done.  I wonder if that makes the broadcast.  When Martin Short came on to do his song, I wondered whether he and Paul would come to blows because they had to start the song again since Martin was off the beat.  Paul blames Martin.  Martin blamed Paul.  Then Paul just apologized and said let's start over.  Since I was in the second balcony, I couldn't tell if this was all in good fun, or if they were really mad at each other.  If it makes the broadcast, we'll know it was a joke...   And the song was only okay.  I also didn't love Bill Murray's bit as much as the newspapers did.  At this point, I'm blaming the second balcony seat.  I was happy about Michelle Obama's video tribute, and Eddie Vetter singing Warren Zevon made me tear up. 

My seat was in a good place to watch Dave and family throughout the evening.  So that worked out.  He was funny while shouting down to the stage a few times during the evening. 

When Dave took the stage, he did mention Tommy Robato (sp?) who was the kid sitting next to Harry during the last Late Show.  So I'm guessing that the entourage is made up of a lot of the same kids.  Also, here's a link to the local radio station coverage of the red carpet (I couldn't get close enough to actually see any of the people in the hallway... poor planning on my part, I guess).  Dave mentions Harry being backstage with his cousins.  There are a whole bunch of interviews in the link.  It was amusing to hear the reporters ask the same question from every guest.  Well, amusing for the first 3 or 4 times.  Then it was annoying.

https://wtop.com/entertainment/2017/10/no-joke-tv-host-letterman-honored-with-mark-twain-prize/slide/1/

After the show, I walked past Senator Franken and almost stopped to offer my appreciation of everything he's doing, but chickened out.  He seemed happy to talk to anyone who wanted to chat.  I took a couple of pics from my seat after the show was over, but since I was so far away, I enjoy them, but you all probably wouldn't.  

All in all, a fine time was had by me.  I can't wait to see the broadcast and I hope I'll be able to figure out what's missing.  The evening ran about 2:20, so I'm sure some of it will be cut.

I do apologize for the run-on paragraph and disorganized thoughts.  Writing isn't one of my strengths.

Second balcony or not, at least you were in the room. To me, when it comes to seeing celebs I admire (especially at special events like this), even being in the room counts more than how close you are. But if you've also managed to score great, or at least workable, seats so much the better. Small point, it's Eddie Vedder, with double D's instead of double T's.

I remember Tommy Robato (his name, anyway). Was he a classmate/friend of Harry's, or something? Considering I thought I recognized them, it would appear the same kids are in the "entourage" with Harry. If none of them, besides Harry, are related to David &/or Regina, I still think it's cool they bring them along to at least "big ticket" events like the Indy 500 (whether they go every year or just when David's racing team has at least 1 car in the final field of 33) or the Mark Twain award gala.

I can't remember if Harry & the kids went when Dave got the "standard" Kennedy Center Honors (the Mark Twain Prize is also presented by the Kennedy Center) 5 years ago, in 2012. If Harry isn't even 14 yet, he/the other kids in the "entourage" (if they hung out together back then) probably would've only been around maybe 7, more likely 8 or 9 then, & maybe stayed at the hotel in case it was felt they might "act up" during the ceremonies.

If you really wanted to, I hope you get the chance to meet Senator Franken sometime. I mean, he may be a US Senator but he's also a "regular" human being & shouldn't be that intimidating.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ebk57 said:

The show is fabulous!!  I laughed pretty much non-stop until Jimmy Walker's bit.  And then I laughed, just not as hard. I especially liked John Mulaney, which surprised me only because I don't know him all that well, but I thought he was really funny, and sincere.  I loved Steve Martin and Jimmy Kimmel and Dave's shrink.  She was a little awkward getting off stage after she was done.  I wonder if that makes the broadcast.  When Martin Short came on to do his song, I wondered whether he and Paul would come to blows because they had to start the song again since Martin was off the beat.  Paul blames Martin.  Martin blamed Paul.  Then Paul just apologized and said let's start over.  Since I was in the second balcony, I couldn't tell if this was all in good fun, or if they were really mad at each other.  If it makes the broadcast, we'll know it was a joke...   And the song was only okay.  I also didn't love Bill Murray's bit as much as the newspapers did.  At this point, I'm blaming the second balcony seat.  I was happy about Michelle Obama's video tribute, and Eddie Vetter singing Warren Zevon made me tear up. 

Cool. 

I don't like to know details in advance, so I'll be back to fully read it after I've seen the PBS airing.

Edited by opus

I don't know if he's still in my hometown or not, but Will Lee posted a series of photos, taken while Dave & Company were in DC for the Mark Twain Prize for American Humor presentation, on his Instagram account. There are 5 pics, with arrows in about the middle of either side of the page for navigational purposes. Even if you don't have Instagram, you should still be able to see the pics; I could. They just might take a few seconds or so to change from 1 to the next. And the next to last pic appears to be Dave rehearsing his acceptance speech/presentation, with the pic taken from behind him.

• Love 2

From rollingstone.com (the website for Rolling Stone magazine): David Letterman Receives Mark Twain Prize at All-Star Ceremony 

If you're waiting to see the televised ceremony, this article does mention some things from that & from the red carpet which was, presumably, beforehand. So you might wanna skip the article until after PBS airs the ceremony.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a spoiler warning.
  • Love 1