Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show In The Media

http://deadline.com/2016/10/david-letterman-jay-leno-jimmy-fallon-new-yorker-festival-1201833177/

His Life Today: “Most of the day I just sit around and wait for Ellen to come on.”

No, Seriously: “I do a lot of stuff. The family and I did a great deal of traveling this summer and it was delightful.

"Whether the show was good, not good, mediocre, ugly, awful, Paul Shaffer, you can count on him and the fantastic music. The thing that I miss most, other than the friends that I worked with, is not having the great privilege of live music every night.”

• Love 3

Dave's National Geographic Channel (aka Nat Geo) program on climate change--the first part of The Years of Living Dangerously--airs tomorrow night, October 30th, on National Geographic Channel at 8PM Eastern/7PM Central.

There's also supposedly an interview with him about it in National Geographic magazine, but I have no idea in what issue--it came up, in passing, when I Googled for the time the show's on.

• Love 2

Did anyone watch the Nat Geo show?  I thought it was quite interesting.  I learned a lot during Cecily's segments on solar power here in the states.  And Dave was...Dave.  Thank goodness.  Loved the shirt with his name on the back!

Over in the SNL forum, someone posted this link to an interview Dave did with Tina Fey in the Hollywood Reporter.  I haven't read it yet, but posting it here is my way of bookmarking it for later.  I'm sure it's brilliant!! 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/tina-fey-david-letterman-interview-parenting-anxiety-alec-baldwin-952250

• Love 4

In Conversation: David Letterman

I was in New York City standing on Sixth Avenue, and a woman on the sidewalk looked at me and she said, “Do you have a television show?” “No, I don’t.” “Did you used to have a television show?” “Yes, I did.” “What happened?” “I got fired.” “Are you David Letterman?” “Yes, I am.” And then she said, “Man, they fucked you up.”

Paul Shaffer and I get together about once a month and have dinner, and nothing about the show ever comes up. Memory lane is closed for repairs.

I'm so glad to read they see each other regularly!

• Love 4
(edited)

David Letterman’s Unlikely Archivist

Of the 6,028 late night shows that Mr. Letterman hosted, on NBC and CBS, Mr. Giller, 66, has videos of all but two.

WOW.

Mr. Giller said he is not at a loss now that Mr. Letterman is off the air. He is still fielding requests from fans, and hopes to be done digitizing all of “Late Night” by 2018. Pointing at his wall of tapes, he said, “This thing has now become 24/7.”

I'm glad there's an archive.

There's a book coming out next week, Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night, by Jason Zinoman, who wrote the NY Times article above.

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, King of Birds said:

Perhaps we should guess at what kind of pie @biakbiak will bake?

Oooh, that throws spring pies into the mix! Strawberry-rhubarb? (Too early?)

Edited by dcalley
  • Love 1

No, not Mom!  I adored her and the way she brought out the soft side of our favorite curmudgeon.

She was fortunate to have a long life and (in this day and age) to have passed peacefully at home, where we all feel we'd want to be.  Didn't it feel like her kitchen was yours from your childhood?

Sympathy to Dave and his family, and thanks for so many happy memories for folks who never knew Mom personally, but feel like they did through the show.

• Love 4

Dave was guessing what kind of pies she made, as usual, on a holiday segment.   She made 5 pies (apple, pumpkin, cherry, blueberry and ?).  David guessed the first 4 immediately but was stumped on the 5th.   He finally had to give up and and ask.  She replied, "another apple pie!"   It was very funny! 

• Love 4

Dave's Mom was a real gift to all of us -- and first of all to her family.  I would have watched daily phone calls between them, if he had decided to do that.  This reminds me of how much I miss his show, and how much his mother added to the dimension of that show.  I still look up her pie segments for Thanksgiving!  Peace to all of the Letterman family. 

• Love 5

Yesterday's Jeopardy! had a category in celebration of Dave's birthday. Unfortunately, the contestants weren't big Dave fans and left two of the clues unrevealed. The three that were shown will eventually be available here at the 4-12 link.

• Love 1
On 4/6/2017 at 5:12 PM, dcalley said:

There's a book coming out next week, Letterman: The Last Giant of Late Night, by Jason Zinoman, who wrote the NY Times article above.

Reviews:

Shales writes, "In the course of their conversations for the book, Zinoman got Letterman to talk about...." I had assumed Dave was not involved one bit, so that's interesting to see!

• Love 1

There's no small talk thread, so I'll stick this in here. Former Letterman worker on a new show counts, eh? I'm alone in the house for a couple of weeks and am watching a lot of stuff, and I noticed "Written by Stephanie Birkitt" at the beginning of an American Housewife episode. It's somewhat embarrassing to admit that I was watching that, because it's not that good, but the bit of information is interesting. I thought she went to law school.

• Love 1

I saw Paul's name in the credits for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction. I didn't catch what the credit was and IMDB doesn't have it, but he's been the music producer several times before.

(edited)

Dave will be on with Alec Baldwin hosting The Essentials on TCM starting tomorrow.

https://www.tvinsider.com/184670/david-letterman-alec-baldwin-the-essentials-tcm/

An interesting 4 films (I've seen 3 of them).  Looking forward to this.

ETA after the movie:  2 great Dave quotes about Walter Pidgeon -  "his hair should be a National Park" and "He won the Academy Award for Best Posture."   He and Alec were fun. 

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 3

Thanks for that link! Barbara Gaines tweeted "2 years" the other day and it made me so sad. I still have the final episode and a handful of others on my DVR.

What the fuck happened, Don, indeed.

• Love 1