Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show In The Media

Now the big question will be whether they'll use any NBC clips.

I think every clip on the main show so far has been post '93, for whatever that's worth.

• Love 1

Because it would set a precedent which is also why NBC would sue, if they didn't give permission.

I do hope they do give permission just because it's such an isolated event. That said with only 90 minutes they have enough footage. Though I would love the clip of Carson where he sets up his own desk because I adore their relationship.

Edited by biakbiak

I expect there to be some NBC footage at some point, whether it be on the Late Show or this special. They were able to use NBC footage when doing their on-air tributes to Carson & Calvert DeForest after they died. So it's not like NBC never allows it. I suspect there's a fee of some sort though, so they'll only go to that archive a handful of times.

For some reason, I just noticed its called DAVID LETTERMAN: A LIFE ON TELEVISION. So that seems to be a good sign.

Edited by GaryE

The next slate of guests for the week of April 27:

Mo 4/27: Scarlett Johansson, John Mellencamp, Todd Rundgren
Tu 4/28: Michael Keaton, Future Islands
We 4/29: Jack Hanna, John Popper
Th 4/30: Hootie & the Blowfish
Fr 5/1: Steve Martin, Emmylou Harris, Rodney Crowell, Amos Lee, Ralph Stanley, Mark O'Connor

Super, very candid, interview in the New York Times:  http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/television/david-letterman-reflects-on-33-years-in-late-night-television.html?ref=topics&_r=1 http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/03/arts/television/david-letterman-reflects-on-33-years-in-late-night-television.html?ref=topics&_r=1 -- already almost 300 comments.  Be sure to look at the slide show -- do not miss the cups.  You'll see why. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 3

I really liked that interview.  And the fact that the pictures were all in black and white.  Loved the cups!

• Love 2

What a sendoff he is giving us!  And he is being given!  I am so delighted for him, leaving the stage on the crest of a huge wave.

• Love 2

I thought Will Ferrell, who was also a guest on Monday, would be bumped. But he's still listed...

Is it possible to have the president on and have another guest and have a musical guest?*

I mean, you'd expect extended time with the president.

(*Kimmel had Obama and Sean Penn on as guests on the same night in March, but he ditched the musical guest that night.)

(edited)

A super-short monologue and no desk segment is my best guess. Or maybe they'll turn Ferrell's appearance into a comedy bit where he only has like 30 seconds for his interview. The fact that they didn't bump Ferrell tells me there's probably no more open slots.

ETA: This Conan O'Brien tribute to Dave is a fantastic read.

ETA (again): CBS just dropped an extended preview of the primetime special. It confirms that there'll be at least some NBC footage, which is a relief, although I still suspect there won't be much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q1q4vGM_40

Edited by alynch

Or, if the choice was a super-short segment on the same show at the POTUS or a longer segment on another major guest's night, he may have wanted to be on the same show as the President.  Agree Will F. probably will have a very short segment on Monday.   

I guess this goes in this thread...  Watching the local news (yeah, I"m old) and they showed a preview of the President on the show tonight.  Then they showed what happened during a commercial break when the White House press photographers went up on stage to take pictures.  It was like a herd of vultures descending on the scene.  Oy...

My local news showed the preview but not the photographers, so one point to your station over mine for at least showing something we won't be seeing in about 30 minutes.

• Love 1
(edited)

After reading the teaser of the Rolling Stone article, I clicked on the link to their favorite sidekicks. There was everyone mostly from his years at CBS, but at number one was Paul Schaffer. They said a lot of nice things, but I don't think Dave would be the same without him. I've always thought Paul was a genius and up for just about anything Dave wanted him to do. I think I'll miss him almost as much as Dave.

Edited by HelenBaby
  • Love 4

After reading the teaser of the Rolling Stone article, I clicked on the link to their favorite sidekicks. There was everyone mostly from his years at CBS, but at number one was Paul Schaffer. They said a lot of nice things, but I don't think Dave would be the same without him. I've always thought Paul was a genius and up for just about anything Dave wanted him to do. I think I'll miss him almost as much as Dave.

Thanks for pointing out that sidebar HelenBaby.  Great read, and I learned that Biff's real name is James Jackson Henderson Jr.   I love learning new things!!

• Love 1

I realize that airing a new episode or not is driven by economic/advertising revenue issues, but Jimmy Kimmel really comes across as classy in this article.  And as always, as far as I am concerned, NBC can suck eggs every night at 11:30. 

Overall I'm not a Kimmel fan, but in this one way, yes. Like Letterman with Carson, he fully acknowledges the debt to his predecessor (they don't literally have to have done the same show for Letterman to be his predecessor) and has always been honest about the influence.  

Conan I think might also have done the same if his folks had thought of it.  Conan also is very openly affectionate/appreciative of Dave.

As for Fallon?  I've always sensed he was more of a Jay Leno suckup than any heir of Dave's. And not just because of what show he wound up doing.

• Love 2
(edited)

Overall I'm not a Kimmel fan, but in this one way, yes. Like Letterman with Carson, he fully acknowledges the debt to his predecessor (they don't literally have to have done the same show for Letterman to be his predecessor) and has always been honest about the influence.  

Conan I think might also have done the same if his folks had thought of it.  Conan also is very openly affectionate/appreciative of Dave.

As for Fallon?  I've always sensed he was more of a Jay Leno suckup than any heir of Dave's. And not just because of what show he wound up doing.

Yeah, Kimmel does worship the guy... his first executive producer was a former Late Night producer and his first head writer was Letterman's former head writer (Kimmel's current and longtime executive producer is a woman recommended by Regis and his current (co-)head writer is his wife.)

Speaking of which, that aforementioned former Letterman and Kimmel head writer, Steve O'Donnell, published an article today in the NY Times of his Top 10 favorite Letterman moments. (O'Donnell invented the Top 10 list.)

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com//2015/05/07/david-letterman-top-10-moments-steve-odonnell/

As for Fallon, yes he's more in the Jay Leno mold. He's the perfect Leno successor. He's a fan of everybody.

By the way, it would be cool if somebody uploaded Fallon guest-hosting The Late Show either when Dave had shingles or was out with the heart bypass recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52uN3IyJKUw

Edited by nowandlater
(edited)

By the way, it would be cool if somebody uploaded Fallon guest-hosting The Late Show either when Dave had shingles or was out with the heart bypass recovery.

Here's a clip of him interviewing Chloe Sevigny from that night. I've never been able to find anything else.

Pretty sure this makes Dave & Fallon the only two people to have ever hosted Late Night, The Tonight Show, and the Late Show.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1

Fallon is also about ten years younger than those other guys.

The comedians most influenced by Dave tend to be guys who were in high school or just entering college in the early 1980s when Dave was doing his most bizarre and original stuff - Kimmel, Conan, Jon Stewart, Ben Stiller, the "alternative comedy" stand ups that started in the early 1990s.

Fallon is also about ten years younger than those other guys.

The comedians most influenced by Dave tend to be guys who were in high school or just entering college in the early 1980s when Dave was doing his most bizarre and original stuff - Kimmel, Conan, Jon Stewart, Ben Stiller, the "alternative comedy" stand ups that started in the early 1990s.

But Letterman would've been right up Fallon's alley. He would've been a teenager while Letterman was still doing Late Night. I'm younger than Fallon by a few years, and I watched Letterman's Late Night. Even Seth Meyers, who's a few months older than Fallon, watched Dave's old show.

And apparently Fallon and his middle school peers did, too:

”In my eighth-grade yearbook they put ‘James Fallon Is Most Likely to Replace David Letterman,”’ says Fallon, sitting in his office on the seventh floor of 30 Rock, three weeks from his debut as Conan O’Brien’s Late Night replacement. ”I should hang that up somewhere.”

Speaking of which, that aforementioned former Letterman and Kimmel head writer, Steve O'Donnell, published an article today in the NY Times of his Top 10 favorite Letterman moments. (O'Donnell invented the Top 10 list.)

http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com//2015/05/07/david-letterman-top-10-moments-steve-odonnell/

Not to start a show biz feud, but I always heard the top 10 was a Merrill Markoe innovation. Who, by the way, would be my first pick for a surprise guest, despite not being a "big name".

(edited)

Not to start a show biz feud, but I always heard the top 10 was a Merrill Markoe innovation. Who, by the way, would be my first pick for a surprise guest, despite not being a "big name".

The true creator of the Top Ten seems to have been lost to the fog of memory. Depending on who you ask, it was either Steve O'Donnell, Randy Cohen, Jim Downey, or Robert Morton. Both Dave & Merrill seems to think it was Cohen, so I'm inclined to go with that.

Edited by alynch

Thank you for the links!  I actually tried to find the Rolling Stone issue on Sunday but was unsuccessful.  Who sells magazines these days?

I've never found Dave to be overly grumpy or mean, which apparently says something about me since that seems to be the lede in all the articles about him.

Agreed.  I had to hold back the tears.  I like his idea of 3 shows a week, two weeks a month. Is Al Gore's Current TV still a thing?

No, it was sold to Al Jeezera in 2013.

I'd take two shows a month and be thrilled.  He has a lot of options that did not exist in the era of Johnny Carson's retirement, so perhaps someone will pull him into some short-term projects.  Al Gore's Current TV is long gone for many $$$ to Al Jazeera TV, which has its own current problems -- but maybe Netflix will come calling to Dave? 

After a true summer off, he will know if he wants to keep fishing and driving Harry to school, or whether he wants to explore another project.  Some people love retirement, some say it was the worst mistake they ever made. 

The article was indeed lovely, and he really opened a lot of the blinds to his own life -- I wonder if Regina (like many wives who have trepidation about this) will want 24/7 Dave or Dave engaged in something professional for part of the month?  Could be that 24/7 Dave is her dream come true. 

This was my favorite passage from the RS piece, talking about camping out in Montana:

"In the summer, it doesn't really get dark until 11, maybe midnight," Letterman says. "So you stay up as late as you can, and then finally, about 11:45, when it's just crepuscular, you wait for that last line of light to duck down behind the mountains. It's beautiful — the Milky Way is so bright that it actually washes out stars. I always sleep with my glasses on, so that when I wake up in the middle of the night — which, at my age, is every 18 minutes — I'll be able to see satellites and planets and constellations and shooting stars. It's just remarkable."

Partly because it's just beautiful, but also because it showed a part of Dave at peace, after decades of stories of angst, being difficult to be around and self flagellation. I'm sorry to see him go, but happy to see him go in this state of mind.

• Love 4