Type keyword(s) to search

Late Show In The Media

For canceling, or for what he did? You have to figure the show probably expected him to pull out.

Both, but mostly for the entertainment value. And there were reports that Williams was planning on keeping the appearance as late as last night. I can see the fact that Williams came on the show, lied, and then pulled out of a chance to explain himself being the kind of thing that would piss Dave off.

Brian Williams has now cancelled. I'm really hoping Dave tees off on him on Monday.

Williams is a friend of the show, and nobody expected him to appear on his couch, even though it was Step 1 in his rehabiliation campaign.

So I expect Dave to be sympathetic to him, since he's survived a scandal himself.

But I wonder if Letterman will eventually start telling Brian Williams jokes.

Conan, who had Williams on his Late Night show numerous times, is really having fun with this.

(edited)

Williams is a friend of the show, and nobody expected him to appear on his couch, even though it was Step 1 in his rehabiliation campaign.

So I expect Dave to be sympathetic to him, since he's survived a scandal himself.

But on the other hand, Dave is actual friends (i.e. not just showbiz friends) with Tom Brokaw, who is reportedly really pissed off about this whole thing. And we also shouldn't discount the fact that Williams came on Dave's show and lied to his face with a prepared and detailed anecdote. I honestly could see Dave going in just about any direction when it comes to addressing this, including ignoring it altogether.

Edited by alynch
(edited)

He hasn't mentioned Cosby at all as far as I know, although I don't think they're particularly comparable beyond there being a guest cancellation.

Edited by alynch
(edited)

[Facepalm]

Comedy would have been a path out of Brokaw’s shadow. A few years ago, [brian] Williams told Burke he wanted to take over the Tonight Show from Jay Leno. Burke dismissed the idea and instead offered Williams a weekly prime-time program called Rock Center. Williams hoped it might develop into a variety show. But Rock Center ended up more like a softer 60 Minutes, and it was canceled after two middling seasons. Undeterred, Williams pitched CBS CEO Les Moonves about succeeding David Letterman, according to a high-level source, but Moonves wasn’t interested. (CBS declined to comment.)

Edited by alynch

I always thought that Brian Williams would be a good fit as a talk show host.  He's hilarious when he's on with Dave, Jimmy, etc.--has a natural sense of humor.  It makes sense that he was interested in that avenue of show business. 

• Love 1

I feel bad I don't know what you're talking about. Can you elaborate?

I didn't recall this either. Thanks for the synopsis. What an ugly story.

Egad.  I didn't think there was any consumer of entertainment of any form who hadn't heard about the Cosby story.  It's been as close to inescapable and omnipresent as anything in the past few decades.  Maybe the last time I can remember a similar size entertainment scandal was when the Michael Jackson allegations gained stream, or maybe even the OJ Simpson murder story.

I always thought that Brian Williams would be a good fit as a talk show host.  He's hilarious when he's on with Dave, Jimmy, etc.--has a natural sense of humor.  It makes sense that he was interested in that avenue of show business. 

I don't think he was ever anything more than unexpectedly funny for a news anchor. It would've been a disaster if he tried to make comedy his full-time job. It'd be like the guy who decides to go to an open mic because he always makes his friends laugh when out drinking.

• Love 2

Anyone remember Brian's stint as an SNL host a couple of seasons back ? He was very good, and had terrific timing. I remember thinking, "wow, this guy can do it all."  Now, of course, I've had to redefine what "all" really means.

• Love 1

Interesting quote from Les Moonves in this article http://deadline.com/2015/03/les-moonves-showtime-will-soon-launch-a-direct-to-consumer-streaming-service-1201390510/

"Meanwhile, Moonves expects his program expenses to remain under control this year – especially when Stephen Colbert replaces David Letterman at The Late Show. “Colbert is not going to cost as much as Letterman,” he says. Production costs also will go down because “David is unbelievably loyal. He wouldn’t fire anybody. So we have a lot of people there who were getting paid for not doing very much. People don’t know what a good guy he really is. The Colbert show will be a bit more economical."

How do you do that thing, where you write your own words over the link?

Type the text. Highlight it. Click the hyperlink button (chain icon to the right of the number list button). Paste the URL into the popup.

(edited)

CBS just sent out a press release for the final batch of guests:

Some of the biggest names in entertainment will make their final appearances with Letterman over the next six weeks, including George Clooney, Robert Downey, Jr., Will Ferrell, Tina Fey, Tom Hanks, Jack Hanna, Scarlett Johansson, Michael Keaton, Steve Martin, Bill Murray, Sarah Jessica Parker, Don Rickles, Julia Roberts, Ray Romano, Paul Rudd, Jerry Seinfeld, Martin Short, Howard Stern, John Travolta, Bruce Willis, Oprah Winfrey, The Avett Brothers and Brandi Carlile, Elvis Costello, Dave Matthews Band, Emmylou Harris, Norah Jones, Mumford and Sons, Ralph Stanley and Amos Lee, and many more names to be announced in the coming weeks.

Notable absences, for the moment at least: Colbert, Brokaw, Madonna, Barrymore, Regis (WTF!), and of course... Leno.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 1

I don't think of Colbert and Madonna as FODs (Friend of Dave's).  I'm certain Regis will be on.  It would be fun to have Leno on, if only to have Dave ask him if he's been in any interesting closets recently.  I don't know how Brokaw's health is.  I thought he would have Bill Clinton on one last time, but with Hilary officially in the race, maybe he doesn't want to do that. 

Where are Foo Fighters?  I'm certain they can take a break from fighting foo to visit Dave one last time.  Also would love to see Charles Grodin return, and Bonnie Hunt.  I doubt her health would permit it, but would also love to see Teri Garr. 

I wonder if the last show will be guest-free, just Dave and Paul together one last time, showing clips, like Carson's last show. 

• Love 1
Also would love to see Charles Grodin return, and Bonnie Hunt.  I doubt her health would permit it, but would also love to see Teri Garr. 

+1.  And, to those who wish he'd acknowledge the morning show,  Edie McClurg! I think a call-out to Mrs. Marv would be great.

Yeah, that won't happen.

• Love 1

Sandra Bernhardt was on WWHL again complaining she hasn't been called, she said on her last appearance Dave accused her of talking trash.  I wasn't watching when she was a regular.

I can't believe I forgot this - although probably also in the health not permitting it category, I would love, love, love to have one more visit from Dave's mom.  Or at the very least, a tribute to her many contributions over the years, either right before or right after Mother's Day. 

• Love 1

Colbert may not be a friend of Dave's, but they're at least friendly (he participated in Dave's Kennedy Center Honor). And I have a hard time envisioning the show ending without a visit from the future host towards the end.

I'm still hoping to see both Barrymore, Madonna, Bonnie Hunt, and Grodin, but it's been years since either of them's been on, so I wouldn't be surprised if they're no-shows. Dave's Mom hasn't appeared since 2011, so it's probably a fair assumption that she's no longer up to it. Also would like to see Martha Stewart again, just do Dave can finally get the full story on how she killed a guy that one time.

Tom Brokaw seems like he ought to be there (health was good, last I checked), but I suppose his last appearance was recent enough (December). The only ones who seem like they'd be definite but aren't listed in that press release are Regis and Foo Fighters, which makes me think they might be trying to keep the last couple of shows secret.

CBS just sent out a press release for the final batch of guests:

Notable absences, for the moment at least: Colbert, Brokaw, Madonna, Barrymore, Regis (WTF!), and of course... Leno.

Forget Leno. Even with the pseudo-peace between the two guys it would seem a bit fake for him to be on Dave's final lap. Heck, I thought it was total BS him being on Craig's.
  • Love 2
(edited)

I'm not opposed to Leno coming on, but I wouldn't want it to be for a proper interview segment. I'd like it to be some sort of comedy bit. The idea of Dave & Jay spending 15 minutes pretending not to hate each other doesn't strike me as a good use of television.

Edited by alynch
  • Love 2
(edited)

Fucking NY Post. So evidently at the pre-show Q&A yesterday, a college student asked Dave for advice for graduates. Dave responded by jokingly saying, "Treat a lady like a whore and whore like a lady," which is a famous Old Hollywood quote, before offering a more serious answer. Post is trying to spin this as Dave being an awful sexist. So it looks like Dave's about to get a couple days of the Trevor Noah treatment.

Or maybe everyone will ignore it because it's the Post. There's always hope.

Edited by alynch

I imagine they had to cancel the recording of the show with the audience in such stunned disbelief, harrumphing as they made a bee line for the exits, their virgin ears bleeding at the horrificness of the joke.

"Several fans who passed by the theater on Tuesday evening were outraged by Letterman’s comic misfire." -- so, the ace reporting staff of the Post found a couple tourists who disapproved of a sexist joke they didn't even hear, yet couldn't get anybody else who was actually in the audience to comment, or the supposed college staffer who actually asked the question.  Or is it they couldn't get comments from those people that fit their agenda.  We know the answer.

Funniest thing to me in the Post's hysteria - they censor letters in the word "whore" because it's such a inflammatory, horrific slur.

• Love 2

two things to say about this..

1.My fellow conservative friends better NOT make a big deal out of this because I know they LOVE Bill O'Reily...and that man has offended me more times than I can count even though I don't watch his show...

2. This makes the later joke Dave DID after one of the Peidmont Bird Callers said she her major was Gender Studies and his reply was "I know enough NOT to make a joke"...even funnier....

• Love 1

2. This makes the later joke Dave DID after one of the Peidmont Bird Callers said she her major was Gender Studies and his reply was "I know enough NOT to make a joke"...even funnier....

That at least seems to show something happened.

Now the big question will be whether they'll use any NBC clips.

They goddamn better have NBC clips! We need Larry Bud Melman, "I'm not wearing any pants" during the Today show, the Alka-Seltzer suit,  Dave on the Taco Bell and McDonalds drive-thru mics, monkey cam,  ...

I can go on forever you know.

• Love 1