Type keyword(s) to search

Season 12: Live Chat

• Start Topic

16 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

year and 4 months-still at the extended stay.

Who pays for that??  Those long-term hotels are very expensive.

1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

She did mention a job a few times.   Some of the extended stay places are no more expensive than an apartment, just usually smaller, but have some nice amenities included. 

She did mention having a job in a call center, which is probably remote work.  But it was confusing because she seemed to be too sick to work at all at times.  Just more of the confusing editing on this episode. 

• Like 3
22 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

EXTRA TOAST! 

During lockdown I was eating slabs of toast every day. I put on 20 pounds. Pounds I could ill afford to gain, too. I was already plenty fat. Though I suppose it was a blessing in disguise, since my annual visit to my PCP was a wake up call and I've lost over 90 pounds since then. 

How did you do it?

I asked my Dr for ozempic last year, but my insurance refused.  I'm going to beg him this year, cuz I'm pre-diabetic and about 80 lbs overweight.  

I take Ropinerole...a muscle relaxer... for restless leg syndrome .... and have for the last 10 years at least. The side effects are: I get chilly, sleepy, and then ravenous...even after having eaten a full meal. I Isiah take it about 4pm as that is when the restlessness starts.  Told Dr. this several times.  He said other similar drugs have worse side effects. I need something to counteract the ropinerole. Going to insist he "doctor" up my medical needs this time to get obesity meds. 

Any other ideas?

21 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Oh here we go. "I'll show you, Dr. Now!" Honey. What are you waiting for? Don't do it for him! He doesn't give a shit! Do it for yourself!

This x 1000000.

Dr Now needs to add a chapter to his book stating that he doesn't t give a shit if the client follows the program, loses weight, exercises, or moves to Houston.

They are doing the above for their own health, wellbeing, goals, and an exponentially better life. Dr Now may have to include a giant poster or several signs as well in his package for different rooms saying the above. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
42 minutes ago, Mollywolly555 said:

How did you do it?

I asked my Dr for ozempic last year, but my insurance refused.  I'm going to beg him this year, cuz I'm pre-diabetic and about 80 lbs overweight.  

I take Ropinerole...a muscle relaxer... for restless leg syndrome .... and have for the last 10 years at least. The side effects are: I get chilly, sleepy, and then ravenous...even after having eaten a full meal. I Isiah take it about 4pm as that is when the restlessness starts.  Told Dr. this several times.  He said other similar drugs have worse side effects. I need something to counteract the ropinerole. Going to insist he "doctor" up my medical needs this time to get obesity meds. 

Any other ideas?

I just took a good hard look and made some changes. Cut out buttered toast, well, most bread and almost all butter. Gave up chips and sandwiches and cake, eat a lot of salad and fruit, lean protein, count calories. I don't exercise at all, hate it. I lost a lot the first year, about 65 pounds, then it slowed down but I still lost, something like 22 pounds the following year. I'd love to lose 40 more pounds, and I don't much care if it takes another two years to do. I've gotten so accustomed to living on salads at this point it feels weird if I don't eat it every day. If I go out to eat, which I do fairly often, I have what I want but I don't usually finish it. And I don't beat myself up if I eat a bunch of cookies sometimes. I do love my cookies. I try not to have stuff in the house that will tempt me! And it wasn't even that hard. Once the weight started coming off I was motivated to keep going. Does it ever feel good to get rid of clothes because they're too big! 

I'd have a come to Jesus meeting with my doctor in your shoes. You've got nothing to lose by trying a different medication. Maybe the side effects are worse for SOME people, but might not affect you. But you never know unless you try. I wish you nothing but luck as you look for solutions! Many hugs! 

• Like 5

Any other ideas?

I'm on Ozempic and it has allowed me to lose some weight. I am diabetic though, so while I didn't have issues with insurance, finding Ozempic in stock has sometimes been challenging. 

The only other time in my life that I successfully lost weight was an extended period in which I literally measured everything that I ate and tracked every single calorie. Eventually I was good enough at it that I could eyeball more accurately without the scale and the measuring cups but initially it was a surprise to realize how little a single serving of most foods are. Unfortunately, in my case, for whatever reason, I did not lose weight unless I severely restricted calories - to like 1200 - 1400 calories per day. Weight loss was quite slow for me and I was starving all the time. 

Even with that said, I would say that actually measuring your portions and counting calories, at least in the short term, can be really eye opening. If you and your doctor are open to it, a different drug for the restless leg might also help. The drugs, as a class, might all have the same side effects but everyone reacts differently and a different drug might not cause you to experience increased appetite.

Good luck!

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Prepackaged meals like Stouffer's Lean Cuisines are a good thing to have on hand, too. Sure, those little diet pizzas aren't a patch on a real pizza, but they do feel like a treat sometimes. (Full disclosure, I do tart them up with a little extra cheese and some Penzey's frozen pizza seasoning). And for a sweet treat I love Outshine fruit bars (the mango is to die for) or Yasso frozen yogurt bars. A hit of chocolate at 80 calories? Yes please! And I agree with @Elizzikra, portion control is a thing and it does help, though I confess that I do it in a casual way. Protein no bigger than the palm of your hand, and so on. But it does make me more mindful. Good luck!

• Like 3

I did Keto and not only lost weight but it killed sugar cravings. Lost too much weight, though. There was no excessive weight gain afterwards. Learned a lot about nutrition… like how to make my own sodas with high carbonation with ginger instead of chemicals.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Hello, my favorite bunch of snarkers!  Looking forward to spending another Wednesday night with you all.

Eating habit today is leftover seafood saffron risotto.  The portion was so huge last night, I ate about a third in the restaurant, will eat a third now and the remaining third tomorrow.  Lunch was delicious panko-crusted tilapia with brown rice (didn't intend on so much rice but that's what the work cafeteria entree was!) and a simple spring greens salad.  Only two and a half meatless weeks remain.  I need to start planning what my Easter lunch will be, the first meat-containing meal in seven weeks.  I might not be a poundticipant, but some meals are more special than others and deserve thought and anticipation to be put into them! 

Something tells me Charles won't be a success story... 

• Like 4

Hi Peeps! So I was listening to the Depresh Mode podcast the other day; the guest was Lindy West, probably best known for writing about being a fat person (her word), and at the end the host started to say something about her "journey" and then interrupted himself to point out another guest mentioning that she felt that word is overused and he feels weird using it now so he should use different 80s band names instead. Then he proceeded to thank Lindy "for sharing your REO Speedwagon with us." She replied with something like, "thanks for listening to my Chicago." 😄 And the word "journey" of course made me think of this show.

So let's see how Charles' Talking Heads goes.

31 years old
Everett, Washington
weight unknown

My eating habit tonight is a salad with spinach and romaine, red cabbage, yellow carrot, and grated cheddar cheese (if you use a microplane grater it makes fun little curls). 

• Like 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

Yay it's Wednesday. Did this week go fast or what? 

I had cereal and yogurt and cherries since I wasn't very hungry. 

Oh my, he's very very round.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

He inherited his mom's caretaker.

Bunch o' bad tattoos, check.

What's for breakfast?
- 5 eggs, scrambled with cheese, and biscuits
- ok, how many sausages?

Just now, Auntie Anxiety said:

I’d love a caretaker. But I don’t like having anyone around here, so never mind.

I feel that. My brother and I would LOVE to have someone come in a few times a week to help with my mother, but she hates having people coming in an out. But we hold out hope that we can find a nice older lady who'll come by and look in on her and help her out, maybe have a cup of tea with her. 

• Like 5

I feel bad for the brother.  SOmething tells me Charles would NOT be taking care of his brother if something happened to him...

The brother looks normal weight... must be because he wasn't raised by the mother. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
8 minutes ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Hola, my peeps! How's everyone's eating habit? Me, I had a Nicoise salad and a mint chocolate chip Yasso bar. Has everyone had a good week? 

Mango margarita, homemade hummus and pita chips. Yum!

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Hello, lovies! My eating habit tonight was a panko-crusted chicken thigh and a garden salad with oil and vinegar. Glass of red wine and maybe an ice cream sandwich later on. This guy is as wide as he is tall!

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Pepper Mostly said:

I feel that. My brother and I would LOVE to have someone come in a few times a week to help with my mother, but she hates having people coming in an out. But we hold out hope that we can find a nice older lady who'll come by and look in on her and help her out, maybe have a cup of tea with her. 

My sisters and I didn't have a full time caretaker for Mom but we had aides come in to bathe her every other day and a sitter so we could do errands every week.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Hi Peeps! So I was listening to the Depresh Mode podcast the other day; the guest was Lindy West, probably best known for writing about being a fat person (her word), and at the end the host started to say something about her "journey" and then interrupted himself to point out another guest mentioning that she felt that word is overused and he feels weird using it now so he should use different 80s band names instead. Then he proceeded to thank Lindy "for sharing your REO Speedwagon with us." She replied with something like, "thanks for listening to my Chicago." 😄 And the word "journey" of course made me think of this show.

So let's see how Charles' Talking Heads goes.

31 years old
Everett, Washington
weight unknown

My eating habit tonight is a salad with spinach and romaine, red cabbage, yellow carrot, and grated cheddar cheese (if you use a microplane grater it makes fun little curls). 

I love Lindy West!

• Like 2