Type keyword(s) to search

The Late Late Show With James Corden - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Adele gives such good face. Her expression when James hits the harmonies on "Hello" (at 1:26) is excellent. She is so lovely and tells him, "That was amazing!" His reaction is perfect. I could listen to her tell drinking stories all day.

I love that James is so obviously a huge fan of music. Watching him driving and singing (and crying), I like to hope that I look that good when I do the same, though I likely skew more "hopelessly deranged" than "having the best time."

Yeah, while these Carpool Karaokes were starting to seem tired to me, this one revived my interest.

Cordon didn't even invent these. Frankly he flat out stole the idea from a UK DJ who did this exact thing with Taylor Swift a few months before Cordon's show came on.

But Adele's a great get/subject for this. She's so naturally herself that what comes out of her mouth is pretty much gold no matter what, and the different setting helps that even more.

• Love 1

@Kromm

Actually, you are mistaken. Corden did similar sketch with George Michael in 2011. Then in 2013 he did something similar with Gary Barlow for a documentary. The Vulture has a very good interview with Late Late Show producer Ben Winston which includes this exact topic.

• Love 1

Yeah, Corden singing in a car (alone or with people) isn't something new. Even if it was new I don't really think you can compare the Taylor Swift car ride video to what Corden does. Isn't the Swift video just a lip sync music video for one song? While there is actual singing and other things in the carpool karaokes.

Adele tweeted this. I'm curious about that meeting because Corden + Wales reminds me of Gavin and Stacey.

Edited by Silje

Tonight's Groundhog Day-esque opening monologue made me turn the channel after the 2nd set of introductions. Luckily by the time I turned it back from the H&I channel the first commercial break was underway. I got as annoyed tonight as I usually do with that insipid 'Celebrity Noses' stuff. I know I come here to complain for the most part but I usually like the show for the most part. The sitting behind the desk then sliding his wheeled chair over to interview guests that sit on the couch still seems weird to me. I don't dwell on it as much anymore though. 

I've never seen James or this show before but tuned in last night for Rosie. I think he is very likeable and cuddly. That rap with Rosie was amazing in that they were in sync. Good job.

• Love 3

Colbert got all the "live" hype, but if this wasn't live it came pretty darn close.

Irony- he was supposed to get a Super Bowl hour earlier promotion, but it ended up starting 12:37am ET, the exact regular show time.

• Love 1

Colbert got all the "live" hype, but if this wasn't live it came pretty darn close.

Irony- he was supposed to get a Super Bowl hour earlier promotion, but it ended up starting 12:37am ET, the exact regular show time.

Well, at least he got the 10 pm timeslot here on the West Coast.

Triumph the Insult Comic Dog has been around for 19 years, and its creator Robert Smigel recently attributed its longevity to him only bringing Triumph out 3 times a year.

That way, you never get sick of him.

So I'm wondering: Is Corden doing too much Carpool Karaoke? Is he burning it out?

It's a great bit, yes, but they are now talking about cashing in on Carpool Karaoke by using sponsors.

Here are all the Carpool Karaoke videos Corden has posted in the the month of February (so far);'

Feb. 2:

Feb. 7

Feb. 15

Feb. 17

• Love 1

I agree that they should be used sparingly. At least the one with Chris Martin had some bits about how far it was to San Francisco, buying snacks at the gas station, staying at the motel, etc.

James said on Ellen that a lot of the time his writers come up with an idea for a sketch or gag and then they find out that Ellen has already done something similar. I wouldn't mind James putting his spin on existing bits, but he does need to get several more repeat sketches into the rotation. I watch mainly for the comedy; the combined-guest interviews aren't my favorite. It works for me on Graham Norton, so I'm not sure why it doesn't with James.

I'm not saying the show-at-Natalie's-house was awesome or anything, but I was definitely impressed with how much work and planning had to have gone into it. They moved in a piano for the musical number, not to mention the otters.

• Love 2

I'm not saying the show-at-Natalie's-house was awesome or anything, but I was definitely impressed with how much work and planning had to have gone into it. They moved in a piano for the musical number, not to mention the otters.

I haven't watched it yet (it's on the DVR, but he last did it probably in his first two weeks of his show, which was nearly an entire year ago. I would think they would've done more of them, like it was Carpool Karaoke. But maybe it really is complicated.

In the looking for the house segment, I liked that the guy on the intercom recognized who he was (namechecking carpool karaoke) , but still wouldn't let him in.

i didn't see it the first time he did it, as I was a little late discovering the show.  Do you think that it was truly random?  The people in the house didn't seem freaked out like I would be. I'd definitely let them in, though.

Watching it now... (will update)

They must've taped it earlier this week, because the sun doesn't set until 7 pm. So if it ends at 8 pm, but more likely 8:30, and goes on the air at 9:37 pm, well, that's just not possible.

Last year, they did it like 2 blocks from CBS. This time, it's 6 blocks. At least they're branching out. Perhaps he should do it in a minority neighborhood (seriously!). As I've said before on this board, I went to high school 2 blocks from CBS and elementary school 5 blocks away so I'm familiar with the neighborhood. Kudos to Corden for even going out of the studio, which many late-night hosts -- except for Conan -- don't seem to do anymore. But it would be cool if didn't spend so much time close to his studio. (Corden has done a lot of bits in front of his studio or within blocks.)

Leno used to do the same bit going around knocking on doors, but at least he used a large apartment complex and didn't have to haul himself around residential neighborhoods. Even though his name is a lot more well known than Corden's, it always took a while before anyone would let him in, too. Putting myself in their place, it wouldn't be because I was hesitant to look silly during the comedy bits, but because I had dirty dishes in the sink or otherwise wouldn't want my house to be on television. Embarrassing!

Most of the those who ended up letting him in were college students or young people in their mid twenties, like here. "Sure! We're probably stoned anyway!"

Kimmel also has done an entire show from somebody's house, but it was pre-planned and it was in Houston. This was in advance of the Janet Jackson Nipplegate Super Bowl.

Anyways, here's James Corden on the cover of this week's EW.

cover-ew-james-corden-1407.jpg

A couple of awesome moments though, especially Wanda Sykes hiding in plain sight. 

I'm still wondering how they did the otters.  And if they cleaned the tub.

Sadly for the world, not everyone in it unilaterally agrees with me on all subjects, so I can't quibble with the writer's opinion. For me, I don't find James to be a camera hog at all, just a musical theater geek who's supremely jazzed to be (1) singing, and (2) doing it with these people. I enjoy the way he goes balls to the wall; I got no interest in carpool karaoke with someone who's gently mumbling the words.

If James was all that vain and self-centered, I can't think he'd allow himself to be shown on TV in his underwear, flabby belly and all.

• Love 2

I'm hoping since the Carpool Karaoke special aired earlier that they may cut back on the frequency for awhile. It's a successful bit and it wouldn't be a good thing if TPTB wore out it's welcome so soon. They can stop with that idiotic Celebrity Noses bit anytime now though.

Edited by Jaded

I really enjoy the show, but James irked me with a pet peeve when it comes to show hosts: get the name of the project correct!

Dominic Cooper was on to promote his new series on amc- Preacher. It is an adaptation of a comic book series, also called Preacher.

James kept calling it The Preacher! The title is one word, Corden, just one. The man was a flatmate who introduced you to your wife. Get the one-word title of his new series correct, huh?

Also, Kristen Chenowith was cute last night, imo. Granted, I probably would have glanced over at Mr.Cooper's uncomfortable pants too, once James pointed out how tight and uncomfortable they seemed. Still, she seemed to enjoy just listening to the stories. If she wasn't, she needs more acting roles, stat! Her new movie still felt lost among the Corden-Cooper stories and asides, though.  

The Carpool Karaoke with Demi and Nick was the usual fun. Needling Nick about his purity ring and dating life was silly fun and the one street number was okay until Corden sounded like a bully getting folks to pay cash for two artists who are on tour/about to go on tour and have worked a long time in the business already.  I agree, generally, that you pay street artists, but these folks aren't some duo looking for a break or a recording contract. Also? Lucky TMZ bus folks! *g*

Overall, I did enjoy the episode.

1 hour ago, Actionmage said:

The Carpool Karaoke with Demi and Nick was the usual fun. Needling Nick about his purity ring and dating life was silly fun and the one street number was okay until Corden sounded like a bully getting folks to pay cash for two artists who are on tour/about to go on tour and have worked a long time in the business already.  I agree, generally, that you pay street artists, but these folks aren't some duo looking for a break or a recording contract. Also? Lucky TMZ bus folks! *g*

My favorite park was Nick trying to discreetly check his watch more than once (7:37 being the most obvious). I came out of this liking Demi more and Nick less.

Yet another reason not to do pub if your heart isn't in the particular venue. You, the person trying to promote something, look bored/uninterested- which is fair- but ends up making you look bad. There are tons of venues to choose. It makes me wonder why Nick chose to go along.

What a delight Candace is. She was so natural and comfortable with James and JJ and even making the video -- it's impossible for most people to record themselves like that without coming off as stiff, or try-hard, or awkward. She should be Kelly Ripa's new co-host!

Corden was on Howard Stern this morning. He's going on Colbert tonight.

He's on Live with Kelly on Tuesday and Seth Meyers, his "rival," on Wednesday.

Yet he has all new shows Monday through Wednesday.

I guess he spent lasdt week pretaping shows while he preps for the Tonys in NYC.

Haha Wayne Brady just said women wore high heels for men and Genna Davis strained a muscle keeping herself from saying something.

Bway CarpoolKarake the best.

2 hours ago, tom87 said:

Bway CarpoolKarake the best.

The producers claim they don't shoot these on a trailer, and I suppose I believe them, but man.... shooting not only with his hands not on the wheel half the time, PLUS with his attention that split is a much worse idea in Manhattan than in L.A., where you can find much more deserted areas. 

I no longer understand this segment. Didn't it start as a casual interview setting with musical interludes? And now it's 85% singing, but in a way that isn't as good as the recording or a proper live performance. MTV should just bring back "Unplugged" already if people are so wowed by this.

I no longer understand this segment. Didn't it start as a casual interview setting with musical interludes? And now it's 85% singing, but in a way that isn't as good as the recording or a proper live performance. MTV should just bring back "Unplugged" already if people are so wowed by this.

It's called Carpool Karaoke not Carpool chat. I think how much music you get versus chat depends on the guest and their comfort level; these are musical theater people, they will sing at the drop of a hat. It's not supposed to have the feeling of a "proper" performance, it's supposed to have the feeling of being in your car with your friends when a song that everyone loves comes on.

• Love 7
(edited)

I love the looks on everyone else's faces when Audra whipped out that high note at the end of One Day More. CLASSIC!

I'm suddenly feeling really nostalgic for high school and all the ways my choir friends and I would have such sing-alongs. SO MUCH FUN. And they (in the car with James) each took different roles, which was wonderfully democratic.

I also laughed pretty hard when Jane sang the Eponine part and Jesse kept rebuffing her (appropriate for the song, LOL).

P.S. Kudos to James for being able to keep up with all the Hamilton rap. Some of those lines can be really tongue-twistery!

Edited by sinkwriter
  • Love 2

"Guns and Ships" is pretty challenging, good on James!

This is pretty much my theater friends and I on a car trip, except, you know, with the actual ability to sing thrown in.

• Love 2