Type keyword(s) to search

X-Men'97

• Start Topic

Overall, I have been enjoying this show immensely. I hate that they have killed off my favorite X-Men member ever (Gambit), but I am also glad that they did not make this the Wolverine show with guest appearances from other X-Men. I have very few quibbles, and yes, I was a fan of the original.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Are we going to get Noseless Wolverine next season? Morph: “How does he smell? Horrible!”

I don't appreciate you stealing my noseless Wolverine joke that I made on the newsgroups back in the 90s. 😉

I kid. Sort of. I did make that joke but talk about low hanging fruit. I can't claim copywrite or anything.

But man I hope they don't go the noseless route. Make him feral for a bit if you absolutely must but for the love of God let him keep his nose! It's not like his cartilage was adamantium!

Edited by Dandesun
3 hours ago, baldryanr said:

So time loops next week, then? 

An encounter with another Beast? No, that’s been done before.

It was one hell of a ride! Now, I need season 2, and I want their budget increased. Marvel/Disney knows X-Men '97 is a hit, so there are no excuses. Throw all the money at it!

By the way:

"How's your mommy, Bastion?" Ayo! Cable was a straight-up goon for that! 🤣🤣🤣

Spoiler

And please, please let Rachel say how impressive even the residue of the Phoenix force is! It was one of my favorite lines from The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix!

• Like 2
(edited)

I thoroughly enjoyed the finale, even though I think they rushed some stuff considering where we left off last week and not everything made sense(Jubilee can breathe in space? lol) but gonna overlook it because they gave me so much I loved. So many characters got awesome moments.

The series really did justice to Cyclops. I love the way they write his power, and the visuals are just so cool.  Then the scene of Him and Jean with Cable, got me in the feels. So good.  Show is making me want to read more Cable comics too.

I swear I feared so much for Kurt's life when he was fighting Bastion so glad it was just a cool teleporting fight scene and nothing more.

Rogue with the Gambit lines? Felt so right, whiplash with her writing but I'm letting it go because I loved it and her kicking ass in his name. 

I even liked Sunspot and Jubilee!

I feel like you can really tell the show runners love writing for Magneto, every episode is on point for him.

Overall it was a pretty satisfying end to a pretty satisfying season and I can't wait for season 2. I hope its not years in between seasons.  

Spoiler

So grateful for the med credit scene, Gambit has to be coming back as death right?

Edited by Grumpymonkey
spelling
  • Love 1
(edited)

Sorry Rogue and Lilandra, but it's pretty clear Magneto and Xavier are each other's favorite person and always will be.

I wonder where Morph and Wolverine ended up. 

Edited by baldryanr
  • Like 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

I loved everything about this finale and the whole series. I mean, everything except Gambit's death. The action sequences were amazing, but the same thing that really made me love the original series is what made me love this one: the emotional beats and dramatic moments.

Also, in an earlier post, I said the original cartoon Magneto was hotter. I recently watched some of those episodes, and I was dead wrong. This Magneto...🔥!

I can't wait for next season.

Edited by Enigma X
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

I kind of liked the ending.  Kind of.  There are still too many plot threads hanging like what's become of all the people who became Prime Sentinels?  Are they dead?

And I have sinking suspicion on how the X-Men could be integrated into the MCU:

Spoiler

people just forget about them, Genosha, and mutants in general.  Mutant births probably slow considerably over the next 27 years.

In other news:  Daredevil cameo!  Black Panther cameo!  Dr. Strange cameo!  Cloak and freaking Dagger!  And a cameo with Peter Parker and Mary Jane.  He was able to get her back after she got lost in time.  He may have brought Captain America back the same way.  Long story about what happens in the 90s Spider-Man animated series for those who don't know.

And some of the fans were right:

Spoiler

Apocalypse is more than likely going to bring Gambit back as his Horseman of Death.  I'm sure Rogue will be overjoyed, poor woman.

Also, I'm curious to see what happens with Jubilee and Sunspot next season.  Maybe they put together their own team of mutants.  A New Mutants/Generation X combination perhaps?

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, bmoore4026 said:

And some of the fans were right:

I HATE that last spoiler! Bad enough that

Apocalypse ruined Warren, even though we haven't seen him this season, except for when Morph, well morphed into him and he still had that blue skin! Now Gambit?! No. Just NO! I want Gambit back as

GAMBIT.  None of this metallic Death shit.

I'll be settling down to watch the last four or five episodes tonight.

(edited)

I thought the ending was decent.  I hope they slow down the pace next season because the rushing through everything really made a lot of the emotional beats fall flat.  Still find Sunspot and Morphe to be useless characters, so it took me a minute to realize that we don't know where they ended up.  I guess they're with Storm, Wolverine and Jubilee somewhere...probably having adventures in Europe or something (love this x-men skit and it's predecessor).

Rogue is my favorite X-Men but I really didn't care for what they did with her this season.  First she's basically banging Magneto (in front of Gambit, no less), then she gets all murder-y before straight up turning on her team.  Hopefully they do a better job with her in season 2.

I wonder how this did in ratings overall since from everything I've seen, this series didn't chart at all, which I find odd since it's gotten such high reviews.  Maybe people were waiting to see if it was any good and than binge it?  

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Like 1
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, bmoore4026 said:

And a cameo with Peter Parker and Mary Jane.  He was able to get her back after she got lost in time.  He may have brought Captain America back the same way.  Long story about what happens in the 90s Spider-Man animated series for those who don't know.

As someone that loved the cartoon, I need Disney+ to give us a spin-off series of how Peter pulled it off! I need more closure than just that cameo!!!!

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 5/15/2024 at 9:54 AM, Enigma X said:

The action sequences were amazing, but the same thing that really made me love the original series is what made me love this one: the emotional beats and dramatic moments.

I can't wait for next season.

Agreed, I watched the finale again and when they deliver with the emotional beats/moments, they really hit hard.

Hoping that follows through in season 2.

• Love 1

Something I've been thinking about with the scene with Wolverine and Morph when they turned into Jean.  Was Morph just saying what Wolverine wanted to hear Jean say or was Morph actually professing their love for him?

Also, I'm thinking about that poster board with the X-Men and other mutants.  Anyone else see Shadowcat as one of them?  If she shows up next season, I would love to know her back story, like if she was with the X-Men but decided to live a life in a the regular world and left.

• Useful 1

I watched the last four episodes last night.

I am so tired of the villains pretty much winning!winning!winning! in this new show. No big surprise who Bastion morphed into-I could see it coming and I didn't read any spoilers. BORRRRRING!!!!!!!!

I don't recall the original ever ending on cliff hangers; then again, it was a daily show, if I recall correctly, hence double the number of episodes.

I will admit, I got a big grin on my face when I saw that Chris Potter, original Gambit, is now playing Cable. And that Night Crawler is a regular! Glad Magneto isn't introduced in the openings any longer.

I really, really, really HATE Scott's/Cyclops original uniform that covers up all that glorious hair. Plus it makes his head look like an eraser on the end of a pen.

I did NOT like what Magneto did to Wolverine. AT ALL.

All that said, I did enjoy the battle scenes-Jean was AWESOME. Glad Cable dropped his bitterness and anger toward Scott; though from the original, we did learn that Corsair did say goodbye to both Scott and Alex when he strapped them in parachutes as their plane caught fire. So I guess this is coming from the comics where it was different? I'm not liking the changes they're making from the original run, which contradict what happened in canon, because comics! (I'm assuming).

So Remy was "your MAN!" was he, Rogue? When you are all but macking on Mageneto on Genosha before all Hell broke loose?

Interesting ending/cliff hanger there. Apocalypse pretty much looked like Gambit. I'm not liking that. At least with Bishop showing up, I hope they do a Days of Future Past and just RESET everything; Well, mainly just bringing back Gambit.

And HOW many TIMES will the Xavier school/home be burned to the ground? I won't lie, I got very upset when I saw that picture of Xavier with Warren, Hank, Scott, and Jean burning up.

Oh so many nice cameos! Captain America! And Morph as Hulk! And Quicksilver! I got fooled for a minute when I saw him, then went D'OH! It's Morph! Daredevil! Dr. Strange! T'Challa/Black Panther! Spidey! MJ!!!!!! And some others I know I should know, but the cameos were like a second and not long enough for me to pause my screen to see who they were. Though I wish we could have gotten some of the cameos to actually...speak. I was hoping the show would bring back Havok/Alex and I would get a proper Scott/Alex reunion. But I can't have nice things. Well, at least Sinister got some comeuppance. 

And of course, that fuckwit Ross. HIM, I could have done without seeing.

So was this three parter a departure from the comics? Stuff was just too on the nose for me.

• Like 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Spidey! MJ!!!!!! And some others I know I should know, but the cameos were like a second and not long enough for me to pause my screen to see who they were. Though I wish we could have gotten some of the cameos to actually...speak.

Seriously! If Disney can get Christopher Daniel Barnes to revoice any of the princes whenever they want, then they can get him to be Spidey again!

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 2
On 5/16/2024 at 9:33 AM, Snapdragon said:

Still find Sunspot and Morphe to be useless characters, so it took me a minute to realize that we don't know where they ended up. 

Morph isn't useless so much as overpowered, so they get to be the Worf and be knocked out all the time to show how strong the opponent is.   I just hope the season 2 plot doesn't include overtly pining for Logan while the guy mopes about Jean being with Cyclops.

One thing I forgot to mention - Storm's laugh when we see Jean rising from the water as Phoenix.  That laugh just screamed "You're all k*cked now!"

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I'm kind of put off by all the "my X-men". It makes me feel like Xavier can't let go and let them stand on their own. I also don't like "my students" irl either for kind of the same reason, so it could just me be. 

Part 2
I was surprised to see the Hulk and then realized it was Morph. Still cool though. Is there a reason Morph can't Morph into one of the super sentinels? And is there a reason Jean was wearing the green dress get up than her usual fighting costume? What was the point with the goofy mask? They're all calling her Jean. It's not like a disguise. 

I was a little confused as to why they didn't just let Magento go and live on his asteroid if he wanted to leave, but I guess it was because he was the only one who could fix the planet. I didn't quite follow why Cable was shooting at Jean either. I liked the episode, but it was kind of sloppy. It's a streaming service; they're not limited by time per episode. I could have used a few more minutes to take it all in. 

Part 3
Uh oh. Even I know about the Phoenix when they showed in the credits.
I did have a good laugh when Magnus said people argue over who is the best victim. Still holds up. 

I was impressed to see Xavier be such a BAMF, and Magento actually look worried when he took over his mind. And Rogue! Can all of them breathe in space? Or was it meant to be that the asteroid was in low enough earth orbit? If it's the latter, it's ridiculously stupid to just shoot a bunch of missiles at it.  Why couldn't they pull up Phoenix to stop the asteroid? 

I like the pacing in this part better than part 2. Still a lot going on that I think I'm just missing with Magento Protocols, and Asteroid M. It always struck me as inefficient that Cyclops has to touch the glasses to activate them in a fight. 

Good for Cyclops to show some mercy for Bastion though. I think it was the right call. 

Also good call on Magneto saving the day. A little much with the "Magneto lives" but he's a drama queen. 

Coming up in Season 2 - The X-men help the Egyptians defeat Ra and bury the Stargate!

• Like 1

Untitled.jpg.d91a4c84dd90dca9a4cfd6851b0aee87.jpg

That's him and MJ (and possibly Flash behind them).

8 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

I didn't quite follow why Cable was shooting at Jean either.

Sinister took control of him.

4 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Sinister took control of him.

That’s Peter and  MJ of course, but we actually saw him as Spidey on a roof before we saw this. 

20 hours ago, Spartan Girl said:

Seriously! If Disney can get Christopher Daniel Barnes to revoice any of the princes whenever they want, then they can get him to be Spidey again!

If Disney is anything like Warner Brothers/DC, then it could be the casting director wants Barnes, but the brass won’t let them use him; something WB did with all the Batman movies that should have had Conroy, but WB Said NO.

We have the likes of Zemo, who gets a line or two, but Strange, Iron Man, Spidey are just shown. 

Overall? For me I much prefer the original show. Warts and all.

• Like 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, baldryanr said:

Yes, that's Flash Thompson behind them.

17 hours ago, DoctorAtomic said:

And is there a reason Jean was wearing the green dress get up than her usual fighting costume? What was the point with the goofy mask? They're all calling her Jean. It's not like a disguise.

That was her original costume as Marvel Girl when she was one of the first five X-Men, with Cyclops, Beast, Angel and Iceman. She also wore it during the climax of the Dark Phoenix Saga in the '92 show, when the X-Men were fighting the Shi'ar Imperial Guard on the Blue Area of the moon (a special part of the moon with oxygen, also home to Uatu the Watcher) for her right to live.

On 5/16/2024 at 9:33 AM, Snapdragon said:

Still find Sunspot and Morphe to be useless characters, so it took me a minute to realize that we don't know where they ended up.  I guess they're with Storm, Wolverine and Jubilee somewhere...probably having adventures in Europe or something (love this x-men skit and it's predecessor).

Sunspot and Jubilee made it safely back to Earth without being shifted in time. We saw them descend, and they're both listed as alive on Forge's board. Wolverine, Storm and Morph are still unaccounted for.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:55 PM, bmoore4026 said:

And I have sinking suspicion on how the X-Men could be integrated into the MCU:

Reveal spoiler

people just forget about them, Genosha, and mutants in general.  Mutant births probably slow considerably over the next 27 years.

Spoiler

I think they might be integrated into the timeline by a multiversal event where worlds merge, like DC's Crisis on Infinite Earths, since the MCU is currently in the Multiverse Saga.

On 5/15/2024 at 2:55 PM, bmoore4026 said:

I kind of liked the ending.  Kind of.  There are still too many plot threads hanging like what's become of all the people who became Prime Sentinels?  Are they dead?

I think the Phoenix made them no longer Prime Sentinels and that they're still alive. They stopped being purple when they collapsed.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness

I understand the history, but is there a reason why Jean decided to wear the Marvel Girl get up for this mission? Or did she just feel like being in a skirt that day? It's not like the X-men typically wear masks, like Spiderman does. 

I had to look up En Sabah Nur (which is fine). It looked to me at the end like Rogue and Magneto looked at each other when he said his name. Do they know who he is (or is going to be)? 

I think it's going to be interesting if Season 2 may be telling simulatanous plots over different timelines. (I'm unspoiled to anything; just riffing.)

The original show was not daily. It was part of Fox Saturday morning cartoons and the number of episodes was just different then. The show runner said he tried to get more episodes but was denied by corporate. By the way the first two season of the original series were only 13 episodes. Seasons 3-4 were longer and the last season about about 13 again.

Season 2 looks like it's going to be Apocalypse heavy what with a significant amount of X-Men in the past with En Sabah Nur (yeah, that's Apocalypse, if you don't know the name but do know the original series the blue markings were a tip off) and Jean and Scott in the future with Clan Askanii and teen Nathan. Original series did have the whole Apocalypse stuff with Cable going on so that walks hand in hand with their continuation of the original. And, of course, there's the big guy himself at modern day Genosha foreshadowing Gambit's return like crazy.

I love that they leaned so hard into Jean and Ororo's relationship. The action was terrific. I particularly loved how dynamic they made Rogue's fight scenes. I found  the beats they took with Rogue very interesting as she is generally the absolute stalwart for Xavier's Dream in the comics once she was accepted into the ranks. I know what role she played here in this adaptation and I found the beats believable so I think season 2 should be very interesting for her as well.

Forge putting together a new team in lieu of the majority of the X-men's MIA status should be very interesting too.  And Bishop's presence has got to be the means of bringing those in the timestream back, it just makes sense. Jubilee and Sunspot are in the present and Forge has got notable mutants like Iceman, Kitty Pryde and Emma Frost on his list of likely players. Who else? Psylocke? Havok? Polaris? He does have connections so that should be fun.

I was not expecting a hell of a lot out of this series but I thought they knocked it out of the park. This was a really really good show. 

• Like 3

It took me a while to watch the last episode, but it was worth it. I especially liked that they did not do a straight-up adaptation of Fatal Attractions as I feared, but changed the ending. Those scenes with Xavier and Magneto in his mind were so emotional. I liked Onslaught in the comics, but I'm not particularly in the mood for it right now. I want Xavier and Magneto working together, as they should.

I was ready to throw up from disgust when it looked like the X-Men were going to sacrifice themselves to save the world that, let's be honest, doesn't deserve them, but that is textbook X-Men, I guess. The twist with them ending up at different points in time looks promising.

Also, cameos of Lorna, Wanda and Pietro, yay!

On 5/18/2024 at 10:40 PM, Noneofyourbusiness said:

I think the Phoenix made them no longer Prime Sentinels and that they're still alive. They stopped being purple when they collapsed.

And I'm sure they will feel horrified by where their actions led them... Just kidding! They never do.

• Like 1

I wasn't expecting much either, while I enjoyed the original series when it came out in the 90s, it hasn't aged as well as the DC cartoons of the 90s did. But I will say I enjoyed this series quite a bit, much more than I was expecting to, and can't wait for season 2. Easily one of the best X-men adaptations since...ever.

• Like 3

In case you didn’t hear, the show got nominated for Best Animated Series at the Emmys. The episode submitted: “Remember It.”

• Like 1
  • Applause 1