Type keyword(s) to search

Working It: Bates Family Fashion, Frumping Down the Runway

• Start Topic

Let's talk about the fashion choices of the Bates clan.  There are so many outfits to discuss.  The fine fashions of their store, ever so often displayed to their best advantage, in heaping piles on tables and the floor.  Kelly's wonderful world of frumpiness.  The Bates brood breaking away from the restrictions of their youth.  How far will they go?  And of course the many oatmeal-colored outfits put on the youngest generation. 

Discuss their fashion choices here. 

Hair, makeup, every way they choose to present themselves to the world is open for discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • LOL 1

On the subject of hair, Erin's hair was sure voluminous back in the day.  It needed it's own zip code.  Another hair comment - I'm surprised Gil never took a weed whacker to Jackson's hair.  The guys growing beards was allowed to pass even though Gothard was against facial hair, but I would have thought Jackson's do would have been a bridge too far.

I will say that even if the outfits were pretty bad, Kelly always made an attempt to coordinate everyone in family photos.  The Duggar family photos always looked a bit sloppy once there was a large number of kids.  

I do find it interesting who has fallen into what camp regarding how they dress.  Michael has never gotten off the prairie, Erin and Tori are just frumpy modest, while the middle girls are letting it all hang out.  The picture from Jackson's wedding shows the contrast very well.

• Like 6

Josie was just laid up for a week with the flu and now she's taking pictures in the snow wearing a flimsy skintight dress. That material was so thin it was see through. I guess when you're an Influencer you prioritize vanity over common sense. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Love 1

I'd bet money she had covid again rather than the flu. Either way, a snowy maternity shoot wearing that dress is a little weird. She might as well tattoo LOOK AT ME, I'M THIRSTY on her forehead. 

Anybody else notice that Kelton's face looks very red in a lot of his photos? I wonder if he has hypertension. 

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
(edited)

I think Kelton has Rosacea. He always looks flushed. 

That’s quite the outfit Josie is wearing. It’s possible the photos were taken before she got sick. 
The flu this year is a particularly strong strain. Certainly it could have been Covid , but I doubt she is vaccinated against either. While the vaccine might not stop you from getting it, it can stop you from getting really sick. Given her high risk pregnancy I do wonder if her doctors recommended getting the vaccines.

Edited by 3 is enough
  • Like 5
(edited)
4 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I think Kelton has Rosacea. He always looks flushed. 

That’s quite the outfit Josie is wearing. It’s possible the photos were taken before she got sick. 
The flu this year is a particularly strong strain. Certainly it could have been Covid , but I doubt she is vaccinated against either. While the vaccine might not stop you from getting it, it can make can stop you from getting really sick. Given her high risk pregnancy I do wonder if her doctors recommended getting the vaccines.

It is recommended that ALL pregnant women get vaccinated against both the flu and COVID.  Plenty of research shows that pregnant women are very susceptible to complications with the flu or COVID and are far more likely to end up hospitalized with pneumonia and even die than their non-pregnant counterparts.

That white dress is ridiculous, she looks like a fool in it; particularly standing out in the snow in a transparent dress.  It's neither flattering nor sexy.  She looks like she's wrapped in a cheap cotton knit bedsheet.

Edited by Notabug
  • Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

I don’t understand how these folks think skin tight clothing is modest. I don’t need to see the shape of someone’s belly button. I don’t need to know if one is wearing a thong, granny panties, or something in between.  There is a time and place to wear such garb. 

• Like 12
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

image.png.435af438b61ac0a5d6af1f822e3abad5.png

2 hours ago, graefin said:

When did she morph into Kim Basinger? I watched an old episode this morning where she still had normal lips. 

I was about to say the same. How much has she been spending on lip fillers and Botox???

• Like 8
On 1/29/2024 at 11:06 AM, AstridM said:

I was about to say the same. How much has she been spending on lip fillers and Botox???

She claims that she hasn't had fillers. Everything just "swells up" during pregnancy. 

Sure Jan. 

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 6
9 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

She claims that she hasn't had fillers. Everything just "swells up" during pregnancy. 

Sure Jan. 

Fundies are nothing if not practiced, adept liars. I guess lying isn’t against their religion.

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
On 1/29/2024 at 2:06 PM, AstridM said:

And hair bleach. I know that she can and probably does color her hair herself, but that is a MAJOR change from the light brown/dark blonde she and Katie both had, once upon a time. 

• Like 4
31 minutes ago, zenme said:

The style of the dress and the look she's "trying" to convey don't match up.  

Right? What vibe is she going for? Cottage Core Vixen? 🤣🤣🤣

• LOL 12

Are they really so dumb that it didn’t occur to them to iron the dam* dress before taking photos for marketing?  Apparently not.

awful dresses thus far. Unless you’re going as Holly Hobbie to trick or treat.

• Like 6
  • LOL 8

At least Kelly brushed her damn hair this time. She may have even washed and conditioned it. It looked like fried ass in one of the last photo shoots, where she had that dumb smirky expression. 

• Like 5
On 1/26/2024 at 8:26 PM, GeeGolly said:

Lets not forget how it all began.

image.png.7b9c16d662138ab633e366699098c867.pngimage.png.8952c0a0a57ef247811daee4691920d3.pngimage.png.8129e90621022fef7d40df510cc4aca4.png

Carlin, Josie and Katie.

image.png.faf19adda69b289ca78e06eff4a80bf4.pngimage.png.59b89538af574a152f5e26a18d4f452d.png

Did they actually wear those outfits in their daily lives or were they costumes for their musical performances and publicity photos?

• Mind Blown 2

Is it me? I have noticed that 75% of the BSB dress styles are cut from the same pattern. They use different material  but those "tiered-sewn together" bottoms are the same style for most of their cheaply made stuff? I hope this post makes sense...I just woke up.

• Like 12
2 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Did they actually wear those outfits in their daily lives or were they costumes for their musical performances and publicity photos?

I would guess these outfits were considered their dressy clothes. Worn for preforming, church, etc.

From what I can remember from their earliest show, the boys were usually dressed in polos and chinos and the girls in long jean skirts/jumpers and polos.

• Like 4

I have noticed that 75% of the BSB dress styles are cut from the same pattern.

I've noticed that they feature empire waists. Perhaps to mask post-partum weight gain. Heaven knows absolutely nothing will be worn to hide the pregnancy.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, floridamom said:

Is it me? I have noticed that 75% of the BSB dress styles are cut from the same pattern. They use different material  but those "tiered-sewn together" bottoms are the same style for most of their cheaply made stuff? I hope this post makes sense...I just woke up.

I've noticed it too! They sell the same basic style in different colors/patterns. I guess it must be profitable but I've never actually seen anyone wearing it in the wild. 

• Like 11
3 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

Those tennis shoes look absolutely ridiculous with that dress and Carlin looks absolutely ridiculous with duck lips.

And why a picture of Carlin with her phone? Clearly someone else could’ve taken the damn picture. 

2 hours ago, BitterApple said:

I've noticed it too! They sell the same basic style in different colors/patterns. I guess it must be profitable but I've never actually seen anyone wearing it in the wild. 

Temu! 😆

• Like 7
  • LOL 1

That dress on Kelly ridiculous. She is 56 years old and no adult woman that I have ever known would wear this getup.   And where in the heck did they find those shoes?  Has anyone here seen young women wearing dresses like these?  They look like costumes to me. I waiting to see Carlin strolling into church on Easter Sunday  in one of these lovely dresses.   On March 31st.  the temperature in Tennessee  will most likely be chilly if not cold. 

• Like 10

I watched Carlin's ILYD video...they were dressed up in costume ...so were a few others...but Josie, Katie and Whit were not - I am sure there were others, but Carlin panned so fast around the room - they were the ones that stood out to me...and what is interesting...C and E posted the video of the costumes etc pretty much the next day...but the rest of the bates are crickets on SM...makes me wonder if some are moving away from the bates family and brand...

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

All the little kids were dressed up. I think a few of the adults were dressed up and removed part of their costumes and some didn't dress up at all.

I think its typical for holidays to change focus as grandchildren come along. It becomes more about them than the adults. That is of course when you don't need SM content.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Dimi1 said:

.and what is interesting...C and E posted the video of the costumes etc pretty much the next day...but the rest of the bates are crickets on SM...makes me wonder if some are moving away from the bates family and brand...

It definitely feels like ILYD is losing its' shine. I imagine it was much more fun when UP was paying for the travel, food and costumes. Family members would post a flood of videos and pictures all weekend. I'm assuming those with YouTube channels are saving the content for their biggest moneymaker, but it still feels like the enthusiasm just isn't there anymore. 

• Like 6
  • Useful 1
36 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Oh my gawdddddd, make it stop. I'm all for size inclusivity, but ffs, use age appropriate models. Kelly looks absolutely ridiculous. 

Yup. None of their stock screams 50 something woman. 

• Like 6