Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E15: Welcome to Conquest

• Start Topic

Michele takes Jay's crap and shoves it back into his face. After Nurys walks away from both of them after getting getting chewed out by Jay.

Jay moaning about how people are laughing after Asaf has a wife and child and really wanted to win for them. I guess Jay forgot Melissa has a child, too.

• Like 9

Jay is an idiot.  I wasn’t a Kyland fan, but he has grown on me because he understands it is a game and people do/should make decisions that further their own games.  

• Like 8

I’m sad to see Ravyn purged. I really hope she becomes a regular (assuming she wants to return).

Nurys was spot-on with her points to Jay, as she usually is. Like, was Corey not the one to totally throw his vote in the re-vote? Ed did the same but I get it in his position: he’s super unlikely to become a chaos pick if it were to come to that, and gets Emmanuel on his side for not voting against him.  

Michele better hope Jay isn’t on the same season with her if she chooses to return (since I think she has a great chance of becoming a regular): while I think she is a good enough social player to go deep in the future, being associated with him would really hurt her.

• Like 4

I choose to believe that TJ hates Jay with the fire of ten thousand suns.

Do you think that Jay watched this back and was like “wow I am a total fucking hypocrite because I was totally emotional with Kyland, who didn’t even have anything to do with Asaf going home, and I also am just a fucking hypocrite in general because I am a giant asshole?”

Yes Olivia.  You woke up far too late.

Anyone check Zara’s insta follows to see if James is there?

• Like 6

TJ hyping up Zara up trying to get up the wall… was kind of adorable.

What I think would have been great was that the first elimination winner chooses who goes home among the losers.

I’m still bored. I want to see the game flipped upside down. Ravyn goes home so the underdogs are more outnumbered than they were before and the usual suspects go into elimination. Yay… 🙄

• Like 6
31 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Do you think that Jay watched this back and was like “wow I am a total fucking hypocrite because I was totally emotional with Kyland, who didn’t even have anything to do with Asaf going home, and I also am just a fucking hypocrite in general because I am a giant asshole?”

That would require some kind of self-awareness and introspection and I don't believe Jay is capable of that.  Because Jay is a jackass.

I know I would get DQ'd but it would totally be worth it to hold his head under water for about 27 minutes.

• Like 6
  • LOL 2

Horacio is such a class act. Now I really want him to win. Him and only him. (I'll be fine with Kyland, but that's it.) 

When Jay was going on about Asaf and his family, all I could think was that Asaf could get a job, like a regular person if he's that worried about his family. 

• Like 10

Best episode of the season, by far. I loved everything about the conquest portion of the game. Last in the daily is purged, awesome! Schoolyard pick, great, although they should be forced to do it immediately, so as to not meticulously plan it out. Lastly, finally no more peanut gallery in the elimination!

Horacio beating Kyland on the puzzles definitely surprised me a bit. He’s probably leapfrogged back to being the favorite in the final, though it will be close between him and Ed if they are both there. 

Fuck Jay. That is all. 

• Like 10
(edited)

I belong to a Facebook group focusing on The Challenge. Every week, they compile the best tweets. One of the more recent tweets invoked the famous line from The Dark Knight: "You either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain." That was about Jay, and it fits even better this week.

What an asshole. Kyland can't enjoy Asaf getting bucked off by CT? Look, if you can't take pleasure in someone going home, then what's the point? I bet Jay gets some satisfaction in Zara's boot, which will make him a hypocrite. Sure, Kyand and Horacio are still in the game, but Jay still feels like he controls the game. At this point, I'd like Michele to see the light and smack the crap out of him.

Good mission. The Purge was brutal, albeit necessary to clear dead weight (sorry, Rayvn). The picking part exposed alliances, and showed that James is an asshole. I read someone call him a dog. I called bullshit, because people like dogs. What does James do, other than take up space and provide the ideal opponent to run against in the finale?

On 1/24/2024 at 9:38 PM, mojoween said:

I believe that Teege genuinely likes Horacio and Kyland, and that he wants both of them to run the final mission. If it had been Jay up there post-elimination, Teege would have grabbed Jay's cap, blown his nose in it, then put it back on Jay's head.

On 1/24/2024 at 10:52 PM, joanne3482 said:

Horacio is such a class act. Now I really want him to win. Him and only him. (I'll be fine with Kyland, but that's it.)

Indeed. Kyland wants to represent people who are different, and I think he's done a good job. Horacio is too pure for this game. Maybe he and Olivia can reconcile and go on The Amazing Race? Eh, probably not.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Like 6
  • LOL 1
(edited)
58 minutes ago, ImpinAintEasy said:

Best episode of the season, by far. I loved everything about the conquest portion of the game. Last in the daily is purged, awesome! Schoolyard pick, great, although they should be forced to do it immediately, so as to not meticulously plan it out. Lastly, finally no more peanut gallery in the elimination!

Horacio beating Kyland on the puzzles definitely surprised me a bit. He’s probably leapfrogged back to being the favorite in the final, though it will be close between him and Ed if they are both there. 

Fuck Jay. That is all. 

After weeks of there being about 16 out of the original 24, two got eliminated in this episode.

Yeah both games were good, though you just have to trust that the producers are timing the Dailies truthfully, because it would be so convenient to pick who's purged.

So they're going to Croatia and Horacio did some paddle boarding just in case.  A couple of the women are not good swimmers nor did they try to learn.  Well in this case they had life jackets so they only needed to dog-paddle.  In the Final, there should be longer swimming.  So not being able to swim, you can't really have expectations of doing well in this game.

Horacio failed to win because he couldn't get the ring toss quickly.  Otherwise he was probably first back to shore.

It's Ed's prerogative to pick which alliance he wants to be a part of.  Again, the design of the game shows that the producers want alliance drama.

But he must know that if his alliance loses the Daily, he'd like be among the bottom 3.  Then again, if he flipped sides, he might be in the bottom of their list too.

The Conquest Elimination was a lot of athletic ability and the puzzle solving, otherwise, Zara would have no chance.  Unfortunately, she's dyslexic.

She has the best attitude in this season, along with Horacio and Kyland.  Low drama, always positive and ebullient.  Has to be way more pleasant to be around than any of the other challengers, especially the women.

But even if she didn't go into the mud at the wrong time, I'd think she'd struggle to climb that wall.  Really they don't have a lower wall for women? I'm not sure any of the other women could lift themselves up over it.  And also be at risk of falling and turning an ankle or worse.

It's interesting that they didn't let the others observe.  Maybe they plan to use it for all the Conquest Eliminations.

They haven't done trivia in the Daily challenges this season have they?  Wonder if they're going to make most of the Dailies more athletic-centric than the Dailies they've had already.

They could do one that is very puzzle-centric but people working on puzzle isn't that interesting visually.

Edited by aghst
  • Like 3

Part of me wants to think that Jay is hamming it up for the cameras, but I just can't get myself to believe he's that good of an actor.  He really is just this much of a narcissistic asshole, isn't he?  Michelle continues to get my dislike largely a/c guilt by association, but let's be real, it's also largely earned by her own merit.

Moriah/James might be the most boring Challenge hook-up ever, in terms of both parties being complete zeros *to me*.

I really came to like Zara, and I actually liked her plenty coming off that Challenge-Lite world thingy she was in (partnered with Wes, right?).  Great attitude; great athlete, and she's only lacking in mental acuity skills that she can actually work on, even given her dyslexia, if she truly wants to.  I hope she does.  Also doesn't hurt that, for my tastes, she is a fine-looking human being.

• Like 6

Jay: I’m not playing an emotional game.

Also Jay: Asaf went home, it hurt my feelings. You’re gonna pay for it.

7 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Moriah/James might be the most boring Challenge hook-up ever, in terms of both parties being complete zeros *to me*.

I’m sure Moriah’s a sweetheart and all… but I couldn’t help but wonder while watching this episode why is she on my screen. She’s not interesting to watch.

• Like 5
(edited)
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Indeed. Kyland wants to represent people who are different, and I think he's done a good job. Horacio is too pure for this game. Maybe he and Olivia can reconcile and go on The Amazing Race? Eh, probably not.

Maybe he and Kyland could. I'd be good with that! He is too pure but in a show that is full of crazy drama and manipulation he's a good break from that. 

I think his pure heart is why TJ likes him so much. I think TJ really respects his, "Pick me, save one of the women."  Is it totally sexist of him to do so? Yup. But, in a game that is mostly inherently unbalanced, I can understand it. I know that in some finals the women have carried the men with their skills, but I'd be stunned if a woman were to win this one. 

7 hours ago, Duke Silver said:

Also doesn't hurt that, for my tastes, she is a fine-looking human being.

I completely read this in Duke Silver's voice. 

Edited by joanne3482
  • Like 1
  • LOL 1

I have been hating on Jay and Michele for most of the season and Jay is really giving me more reasons every week. His conversation with Nurys was the height of self-importance. I think he actually said he won't play his game for anyone else, yet he expects everyone else to play his game. Shut. Up. Jay. I sincerely hope one of the other alliance members wins next week and orchestrate it to where Jay ends up in the bottom 3. Or better yet... he finishes dead last in the daily. Dude needs a comeuppance. 

• Like 4
(edited)
18 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

Jay moaning about how people are laughing after Asaf has a wife and child and really wanted to win for them. I guess Jay forgot Melissa has a child, too.

And I'm sure if it were Jay and Asaf in the lead at the final, Jay would surely step aside on behal of Asaf's wife and child, right?  right?  [crickets]

He is such a hypocrite.  Follows the usual path (for me) of people going downhill in my esteem from one season to the next.  Kyland has gone up slightly, Horacio was already pretty high, Ed has stayed pretty level.  Interestingly, Nurys has gone up, but I didn't really have a big take on her before.

I was prepared to extend a lot of credit towards Moriah because she was done so dirty by Fessy (whom I don't like), but meh.  

ETA:  LOL at TJ being amused by Zara writing that James was dead to her in her journal.  

Edited by Jobiska
  • Like 5

Jay:  I'm not playing an emotional game.

Also Jay:  throws a hissy fit when he doesn't get his way.

Further Jay:  devises the absolute most personal game of pick 'em ever just for the fun of it.

Also Jay?  Stop rubbing your stupid hands on Ravyn's back when she loses after the way you talked to her after "not taking the game personally".

• Like 8

Asaf also had a really lousy attitude, this unearned sense of superiority and entitlement, like the prize is only for their little circle.

His only previous Challenge appearance was to be eliminated on the first day?  I didn't recall that.

He looks pretty fit but apparently can't perform under pressure and the math puzzle stumped him.

Yet he was acting like he was this social game mastermind as well as some physical beast.

Jay at least has some ability -- won in several eliminations -- and he's taken lumps over several seasons.  Not that it excuses his behavior but once he found himself in an advantageous position, the asshole within came out.

• Like 5

You could make a case for anyone causing the stalemate, it's interesting that Kyland and Nurys are mostly is getting most of the blame. Why not Corey or Ed? Especially Ed. He could have kept himself safe and voted Emmanuel. Uh oh, mom and dad (Jay and Michele) were going at it. OK Jay, we get it, your friend left, but turn it down some.

Nigh challenges are cool. Raven leaving broke my heart. I really like her. The new conquest eliminations are interesting. I remember the pick a person to save thing from previous challenges. They get so predictable after a while. The main alliance is so big, that if Horacio and Kyland's alliance doesn't win, they will be going in every time. 

I loved hearing TJ encourage Zara getting up the wall. TJ seems to be team Horacio and Kyland??? Called them the two strongest challengers left! I hope Kyland and Horacio act like Wes and Casey from fresh meat, and say nothing about the elimination when they get back to the house, or lie about how bad it is, like Wes and Casey did when they kept winning exiles and no one knew what to expect. 

• Like 3
On 1/24/2024 at 9:55 PM, ImpinAintEasy said:

Schoolyard pick, great, although they should be forced to do it immediately, so as to not meticulously plan it out

This! 

• Like 2

That schoolyard pick is awful. If TJ really respects Kyland and Horacio (and he obviously sees what's happening), then switch up the process - throw a little chaos into conquest, or whatever dumb name they're giving this phase. Cutting the last place person is good, but let the winner pick one person to go into elimination, and that person picks their opponent. I mean, I guess the politicking is part of the game, but it's dreadfully boring and disheartening to watch the smug/scared majority pick on the generally more skilled outsiders. 

• Like 5
18 hours ago, aghst said:

Jay at least has some ability -- won in several eliminations -- and he's taken lumps over several seasons.  Not that it excuses his behavior but once he found himself in an advantageous position, the asshole within came out.

That's why this is the true measure of his character. He was the underdog. He was called down time and time again by the big boys. Now that he's somehow* the big boy he's doing exactly what they did to him to Horacio and Kyland. I suspect, but could be wrong, that if Horacio was ever top dog in a season he wouldn't be that guy. 

*I say somehow because I'm honestly still not sure how he got to be the big boy this season. I suppose that is his actual skill, master manipulator, because I don't think he's as physically capable as some of the others. 

Ed's alliance with Jay and his following their plan to force Ravyn's hand has made Ed go down in my esteem a little. He's better than Jay. Why is he playing Jay's game? (Especially since Jay doesn't have Ed as his "number 1")

• Like 3

Jay has managed to be even worse than before. I can't stand people who expect everyone else to play their game--as in "I, Jay, get to take care of me and the rest of you have to play in a way that benefits Jay as well." =

Please win Horacio or Kyland next week. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, joanne3482 said:

*I say somehow because I'm honestly still not sure how he got to be the big boy this season. I suppose that is his actual skill, master manipulator, because I don't think he's as physically capable as some of the others.

He came with friends. Jay dated Michele. Jay and Asaf are friends outside of the house. Jay and Nurys are (or were) friends outside of the house. They've known each other for years. Then, you have Michele's numbers. Michele is a very social person.

Jay's friends combined with Michele's friends creates a big shield.

• Like 2

The Michele thing is truly a puzzler for me. Everyone treats her as their number one, but she can't possibly have anyone's back the way they have hers. She already turned on Colleen. When she turns on Berna, Berna will have an epic meltdown. I am not even sure who her true number one is among the girls. 

Also, I know this is super shallow, but I can't stand to look at Moriah. I don't think she is ugly or anything, but her overall look and style is just really off-putting to me. Maybe its a generational thing. I do feel for her a bit though because I think James is totally using her for protection. 

• Like 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, angelamh66 said:

Also, I know this is super shallow, but I can't stand to look at Moriah. I don't think she is ugly or anything, but her overall look and style is just really off-putting to me. Maybe its a generational thing. I do feel for her a bit though because I think James is totally using her for protection. 

Moriah is going out of her way to protect James and James can't even give that back to her. James doesn't win shit. James has no friends. James has no alliances outside of Moriah. The one time he did win and had power, he couldn't even return the favor to Moriah because Moriah was also a winner and had power in her own right. James put the one friend he had into elimination by saving Nurys, which was Zara.

James is probably the best case of poli-dicking I've seen in a long time, maybe ever. His entire season so far has been carried by his fling with Moriah.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 4

At the very least, I think TJ hates it when people throw challenges almost as much as he hates quitters, and I'm sure he could tell that Jay et al. were throwing that one in the soggy truck with the letters, and poor pure Horacio was just too innocent to notice.  Teeje sees who tried hard and who throws things.  Kyland may go off on the wrong track (when Jay tied knots in the chain vs. whatever Kyland did, for example), but he always tries.  So based on that alone Teeje is going to like them better than he does Jay!

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

At the very least, I think TJ hates it when people throw challenges almost as much as he hates quitters, and I'm sure he could tell that Jay et al. were throwing that one in the soggy truck with the letters, and poor pure Horacio was just too innocent to notice.

I think Kyland was on The Challenge podcast recapping that episode. Kyland says he also didn't know they threw the challenge until he saw the episode. I take that and assume that others who were not in on that plan to throw the challenge also didn't know they threw the challenge, and that could also include TJ.

• Like 2

Something tells me TJ has no problem when someone like Bananas throws challenges (like he did during Ride or Dies), so if he gets frustrated when someone like Jay or Michele does it, he can take a seat. 

• Like 4

We don't know how much of a say TJ has in how the seasons are plotted out, the themes, the rules (which they make up as they go along), who's invited, what kind of individual stories they want to feature, etc.

He could just be the on-air talent with little say in how the seasons are shaped, including who's disqualified for medical reasons or for fighting or whatever.

Does he make editing decisions, like how Nurys was suppose to be close to Jay and Michelle but they forced her to choose between Olivia and Horacio this episode.  Or when ASAF was smirking on his THs like he and his partners were masterminds in manipulating people both in and out of their alliance.

• Like 2

If I never see Asaf and Jay on The Challenge again, it'll be too soon.  There are others this season for whom I have zero interest, but these two guys, for me, are the worst of the lot.

• Like 4