Type keyword(s) to search

Episode Discussion: Season 3 and Onward

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

That ending with Elliot on the back of the truck! Am still not getting over Jamie’s death and now they kill Sam Bashir too? And Elliot is forced to take him to the “train station”??! 😢

Angus and Mama Boone are running a criminal enterprise disguised as a cult. Both Stephen Lang and Lois Smith have some memorable storylines in SVU.

That was Detective Bashir? In any case everybody seemed a decade too old for this story. And the simple I was in the 3-30 Marines in the Gulf seemed easy enough to crack. I guess I should have read that footlocker stenciling, did Elliot steal a Marines identity?

And exactly how did little brother afford that apartment but take the ready cash from his safe and he is already resorting to stealing from his family to feed his addiction

• Like 5
(edited)

It's necessary suspension of disbelief that everyone in a NYC based prime time TV show is living in an apartment that would cost at least $15,000/month.

Edited by cfinboston
Misspelled
  • Like 7
3 hours ago, Raja said:

That was Detective Bashir? In any case everybody seemed a decade too old for this story. And the simple I was in the 3-30 Marines in the Gulf seemed easy enough to crack. I guess I should have read that footlocker stenciling, did Elliot steal a Marines identity?

It didn't even occur to me that the corpse would be Sam; I thought that it was the guy that Elliot had the altercation with but his hair was shorter. All we saw was the back of a head and a wedding ring; I don't remember Sam's hair being that curly.

Didn't the locker have Elliot's name stencilled on it? We know Elliot was in the marines; the Gulf cover story wasn't a lie (Elliot was in that picture from the Gulf with the veteran's dad), Elliot was there, he just gave the honey people a different name (maybe his cover name was someone who had been in the Gulf with him). 

I'm sick of Elliot disregarding orders and doing whatever he wants; doesn't Ayanna know that she's the boss? How did Elliot, with his flagrant disregard for authority, fare in the marines where you have to follow orders?

I really don't care about the Stabler family drama though I am enjoying Dean Norris as Randal and enjoy all the scenes with him.

• Like 4

It never occurred to me that the body in the truck would be Sam. Any idea why it would be? I missed how the cases might be connected. 

I just thought it was hilarious that Stabler would be able to go undercover again and nobody would recognize him. Although I suppose after a couple of years, people forget. It also looked like the woman who first took Stabler in and got him a beer while he waited for Boone, she is looking like she's also an undercover, at least from the previews. Did anybody else get that? 

A couple of funny moments in this episode - Jett and Reyes as a couple who have a foodie blog and Mrs. Stabler upset that Elliot and Randall "ruined" little Joey when they started hanging out with him. It was sad to see Joe Jr's addict behavior, but I'm glad all he did was grab the baseball and he didn't actually physically harm his mother. 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, GiandujaPie said:

It never occurred to me that the body in the truck would be Sam. Any idea why it would be? I missed how the cases might be connected. 

Sam was working with Elliot and the forensics on the heroin found in Elliot’s bathroom. The forensics confirmed that it’s pure, uncut black tar heroin. They traced its origin to Helmand Province in Afghanistan. Sam reached out to one of his contact, Reyhan Wardak to arrange for a meeting with a group called “Ghani”. Reyhan used to work with them as an interpreter.

I straight away think of Sam being the dead body based on the shock and horror on Elliot’s face. Bud has shorter hair and he’s wearing a different jacket. 

DBD1B13E-77B1-49F5-B83E-896B07BD065D.jpeg

A3EA291A-6CD1-4F33-9B8C-B484EB675A17.jpeg

• Useful 1

Elliott getting word to the team about Sam and their reactions as they heard brought tears to my eyes.  Gosh, I liked Sam.  

The actor who plays Elliott’s older brother really seems like he could be related — good casting.  

• Like 6
On 4/13/2024 at 1:18 PM, christie said:

It didn't even occur to me that the corpse would be Sam; I thought that it was the guy that Elliot had the altercation with but his hair was shorter. All we saw was the back of a head and a wedding ring; I don't remember Sam's hair being that curly.

Didn't the locker have Elliot's name stencilled on it? We know Elliot was in the marines; the Gulf cover story wasn't a lie (Elliot was in that picture from the Gulf with the veteran's dad), Elliot was there, he just gave the honey people a different name (maybe his cover name was someone who had been in the Gulf with him). 

I'm sick of Elliot disregarding orders and doing whatever he wants; doesn't Ayanna know that she's the boss? How did Elliot, with his flagrant disregard for authority, fare in the marines where you have to follow orders?

I really don't care about the Stabler family drama though I am enjoying Dean Norris as Randal and enjoy all the scenes with him.

Sam's hair definitely wasn't that curly. When I saw the texture, I immediately thought it was the Black man Stabler had a run-in with. I think the show wanted to leave room for doubt.

On 4/13/2024 at 9:34 AM, Raja said:

And exactly how did little brother afford that apartment but take the ready cash from his safe and he is already resorting to stealing from his family to feed his addiction

No, Elliot was a Marine and realized he had served with that guy's dad. Since his dad is deceased, he's not able to ask him about that guy "Hank" he served with.  But Elliot tapped into the parts of his story that are true and got the guy to trust him. In typical Stabler fashion, he's pretty close to people who could easily recognize him or be suspicious enough to look into him. But he's so endearing and good and forming bonds with people, that they take him at his word. But I'm always afraid someone will recognize him - not just from the news, but from his actual life as a lifelong NYC resident, cop, etc. 

Not sure yet what Joe Jr.'s situation is beyond the fact that he's using. I think that fancy place is a hotel and his brothers broke into his safe - was his cash there and that's why he shook down his poor mom?

• Like 4

Loving this current storyline and loving the addition of Randall. To me, this is the best of the three L&O shows and I'm gonna be super pissed if it's not renewed.

• Like 5
On 4/13/2024 at 10:46 AM, cfinboston said:

It's necessary suspension of disbelief that everyone in a NYC based prime time TV show is living in an apartment that would cost at least $15,000/months.

It would be too depressing if the characters lived in apartments they could realistically afford. 

Dean Norris, Randall, is perfectly cast as Randall. Stephen Lang is doing great work as someone who made a horrific choice when his back was against a wall, and next week, Tom Payne joins the cast.  I was about to give up on this show, but this storyline has me riveted.  

• Like 5

S04•E10 - Crossroads

This show isn’t afraid to kill people. RIP Sam Bashir.

The scene where Elliot has to discreetly deliver the news about Sam’s death and Ayanna has to hold it together is so powerful and heartbreaking. It’s well written and well acted. Strong micro expressions from all of them are everything. The intercuts between Elliot/Ayanna and Jet/Bobby/Kyle make it more suspenseful and emotional. 💔😥

The extraction of Bud Hightower from the vet clinic is smoothly done.

I would’ve expected the skrillex lady to be DEA, not ATF.

We all know that Joe Jr. couldn’t be the Redcoat. He isn’t that smart to be the money man.

Hey Randall, when you’re snooping around and committing B&E, stop yelling “hello, anyone around?”. Duh.

The comic relief scene between Randall and Kyle is so underrated. The look on Randall’s face when he sees the tiny smart car. He’s literally bigger than that car. 😂

• Like 6

Does anyone remember that episode in SVU Season 1 where they set up a sting to catch pedophiles and it turns out half of them were FBI conducting their own sting? I feel like that's what the honey farm is.

Elliot got close enough to Ayanna at the meeting to tell her where Sam's body was, so why the stupid dramatics about faking the story about burying a friend's body when he could have just told her?

So ATF Agent Lady guessed Stabler was a cop after being told the story secondhand, but the guy who recounted the story never guessed?

Why was Vargas sent to help search for Sam? He's not even a cop. I just envision him getting super excited that he's being included as part of the team. And how did he just randomly get Elliot's brother out of jail without telling Bell?

Does anyone else think Vargas is Redcoat?

• Like 3
On 4/13/2024 at 10:46 AM, cfinboston said:

It's necessary suspension of disbelief that everyone in a NYC based prime time TV show is living in an apartment that would cost at least $15,000/month.

22 hours ago, tessabq said:

It would be too depressing if the characters lived in apartments they could realistically afford.

I don't think they are really worried about being too depressing. It's not like they've shied away from dark moments. Just all about the practical issues of being able to fit the technical elements. It is actually much harder and more expensive to shoot on a stage set up like an actual NYC "affordable" apartment.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I don't think they are really worried about being too depressing. It's not like they've shied away from dark moments. Just all about the practical issues of being able to fit the technical elements. It is actually much harder and more expensive to shoot on a stage set up like an actual NYC "affordable" apartment.

Go to the museum for the I Love Lucy set.

• LOL 1
22 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

11 minutes ago, Raja said:

Go to the museum for the I Love Lucy set.

I am not saying it can't be done. Just that it is harder. Especially on a set that is not used every week and where it is not a priority like with Lucy or "The Honeymooners" or Louis CK's show. For something like we are talking about where it is not a priority having room for crew and equipment to allow for various blocking the director might want makes it more practical and cost effective to be unrealistic.

• Useful 1

From my understanding most sets on a soundstage have completely removable walls and ceilings that just hang so you can shoot any direction you like. You can fab up new rooms any time you like and tear them down for storage.

• Like 1
(edited)

Come on people. Do you think any NYPD Dept with 5 people have an office that large? With big desks and tons of space for every one.

Also, they have someone with the most sophisticated anti-crime computer system in the State and no one else in the Dept. wants to use him?

A real NYPD Detective office.

f6e603cf3de612355805cb68eaa1e454.jpg

Edited by edhopper
  • Like 4

I would've paid good money if almost everyone at that honey farm was undercover for a different law enforcement agency. They'd pull guns on each other and identify themselves:

"I'm NYPD"

"I'm ATF"

"I'm DEA"

"I'm FBI"

"I'm CIA" (assuming an international angle)

"I'm County Sheriff"

And it turns out the only civilians are Angus and Ma.  Now that would've been something to watch.

• LOL 17
1 hour ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

I would've paid good money if almost everyone at that honey farm was undercover for a different law enforcement agency. They'd pull guns on each other and identify themselves:

"I'm NYPD"

"I'm ATF"

"I'm DEA"

"I'm FBI"

"I'm CIA" (assuming an international angle)

"I'm County Sheriff"

And it turns out the only civilians are Angus and Ma.  Now that would've been something to watch.

This would have been awesome!

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 1

No talk? Wrapped up one gang and on to an international syndicate they should have no jurisdiction over. 

And did anybody not see his brother's involvement with the new baddie.

• Like 5
2 hours ago, edhopper said:

I saw that coming a mile away!

Great episode, great storyline. I'm loving Randall and hope he sticks around.

• Like 4
12 minutes ago, Toonces464 said:
2 hours ago, edhopper said:

I saw that coming a mile away!

Great episode, great storyline. I'm loving Randall and hope he sticks around.

Hah, I was half-expecting Joe Jr. to pop out of the car last week at the shootout!  Nah, that would be too soon 😆

He's not the Big-Bad, but he's certainly Big-Bad-Adjacent.  Good thing he wasn't on the plane with Redcoat (LOL good name) when El & Angus were brought there!  Can you just see it?

Just still loving Randall.  He's such a bull-in-a-china-shop.

And Lois Smith is 93 years old!  She's killin' it.   I looked up her age because I wanted to see if she were really old enough to be Stephen Lang's mother.  Yep - he's 71.

• Like 9

S04•E11 - Redcoat

Skrillex Girl is saved! Phew…

Angus better makes sure OCCB has arranged protective custody for him and Mama Boone because Julian Emery nonchalantly talks about killing him in jail with a pillow.

What’s with the nickname “Redcoat”? He should be called “Red Pyjamas” instead. 

Elliot doesn’t know who Kyle is? 😳

Oh man, Randall needs to improve his storytelling skill. It’s all over the place. Knowing Eli, his big news can only be either of these - an engagement or a pregnancy.

For the sake of Bernie, am hoping Joe Jr. is working undercover with Redcoat & Co. Being discharged from the army is his cover story. He’s in too deep and Elliot/Randall will come to his rescue. 🤞🏻

• Like 4

S04•E12 - Goodnight

Jet and Bobby are boinking again, aren’t they? 

Vargas being so giddy about going on a field work is cute. Hope the intense experience won’t scare him.

I like how Elliot and Randall snatch Joey’s ass up. Welcome to Stablers family intervention! I laugh at Randall casually saying “Hey Joey” after kidnapping him. 😂

Come on, Elliot! You know better not to leave Joey with Randall. He’s easily fooled. I don’t trust Joey. He’s a hardcore addict who knows how to lie his way out convincingly.

Eli desperately needs to talk to his dad about something important but when he gets the chance to do it, he chickens out. What does Becky see in this guy? 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

Jet and Bobby are boinking again, aren’t they? 

Vargas being so giddy about going on a field work is cute. Hope the intense experience won’t scare him.

I don't think they are, but want to and they still feel guilty about letting down the team.

With his billions doing the public service of  sitting night watch on a computer screen hoping to see 1013 Morse code blinks from a light wasn't what he signed up for

• LOL 3

I liked the wrap up. I see they are continuing this story to Peacock. 

There seems to be only the Baddie, his kid, the lawyer and Joe Jr on the plane with the crew.

Shoot Mr. Menacing Smile, and the lawyer if she opens her trap. Tell the crew to land in the US. I doubt the crew would risk their lives. 

As I said before, not a show I will pay for.

S04•E13 - Stabler’s Lament

The writers are covering their bases by making Elliot reminiscing about past seasons, just in case. It’s still hurt to see Jamie Whelan again. 😥

Eli suddenly wants to be a cop is so random. He doesn’t have to quit college and give up on his dreams just because he’s expecting. Don’t follow Elliot’s footsteps. 

Random thing #2 - Randall trying to expand Mama Bernie’s palate by teaching her about cheese & crackers.

Random thing #3 - Skrillex girl is crushing on Vargas. The cute guy in the office, really? Opposite attracts. 

Jet/Elliot little moments are my favorites. The way she tries to explain to him about DM is hilarious. It’s part of her JD to explain “slangs” to grandpa Elliot. 😂

Joey, your boss gets you to babysit his evil spawn. It’s time to get a new job, dude. You’re screwed, how are you going to escape Cuba?

Emery has access to a preliminary report of the crime scene. Who is the mole? He’s always 3 steps ahead of law enforcement.

I really hope this Redcoat arc will not take so much of season 5. It’s a much shorter season. 😣

• Like 6

Just watched S4 E10, where they killed Detective Bashir, and this one jumped to me. Stabler had a dream about a military activity in a desert, presumably from his time in military service. In that dream he saw a V-22 flying over.

The problem is, the first episode of L&O:SVU, where Stabler was present, was in September 1999. V-22 became operational with the Marines only in March 2006, and it definitely was not in Desert Shield / Desert Storm.

Just watched S4 E10, where they killed Detective Bashir, and this one jumped to me. Stabler had a dream about a military activity in a desert, presumably from his time in military service. In that dream he saw a V-22 flying over.

The problem is, the first episode of L&O:SVU, where Stabler was present, was in September 1999. V-22 became operational with the Marines only in March 2006, and it definitely was not in Desert Shield / Desert Storm.

• Like 3

Did they run out of material/story. Was Stabler's cemetery visit time filler.

The theme for next year will have viewers wondering will Stabler's brother be outed/killed.

If going to Peacock won't watch because I cut the cord several years ago. 

• Like 1
On 5/18/2024 at 7:00 PM, TV Anonymous said:

Picking the wrong stock footage is the least of it. As a franchise they rarely got the military right. Ranks matching age ranges, as with Stabler's brother being an recent example.

• Like 2