Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E13: Exploring Intimacy at an Altitude

• Start Topic

Austen even wore that stupid hat at the After Party.  Bet he showers with it.

He's just not that into her.

I dated someone like this in my 20's.  Nice, cute, smart, perfect gentleman, even introduced me to his parents when they came to town.  Light kisses, but otherwise, never touched me.  Awkward end-of-the-night moments of brotherly type hugs.  Called me regularly, took me out, until finally, I stopped responding.  I think, looking back, he wanted a nice Jewish girl to show his parents that he was going to be ok on his own, but nothing more.

Austen's parents appear to be nice people, who Becca has charmed, and he may be doing this to show his parents that he's all grown up now, he married a nice girl, leave him alone.  Who knows....we will all see, as the show unfolds, if they make it past Decision Day, or if it's two "yes's", then past that.

• Like 5
(edited)

This show gets worse with each passing episode. This week was probably the dullest. Brennan is acting for the cameras. He doesn’t like Emily. He is not attracted to her and doesn’t even seem to be possible friend material. She constantly looks pissy and soured now.  She really needs to call it quits immediately. 
Austin doesn’t want to have sex with Becca. It might be the nose ring, the pink hair or he may find her too pudgy. He may be gay. Whatever the reason he is also just acting although I do find them to be more compatible than the other two. 
I have to respect Cameron and his telling Clare to leave him alone during his health crisis. He’s the only honest one. 
I thought the oddball was finally going to get married. They are dragging it out another week. I can’t imagine coming down the aisle and seeing that dude. It seems almost mean of MAFS. 
I really think they should change the format to the Australian and UK versions. It’s a bit trashier but at least the episodes are watchable.

Edited by Chatty Cake
  • Like 4
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, SummerDreams said:

To be honest I wouldn't care WHAT made him angry, the fact he reacted like that is enough for me to run away from him. It's like asking a woman who was raped "what were you wearing?". Doesn't matter.

You're totally right, but I still would like to know 😁

• Like 3

Good ol sex basket for an obstacle course assignment. Okay. He really struggled with intimate details, huh? That was an odd thing, what is someone supposed to say?!! Austin really put on a show with rose pedals & candles, huh? To set that up for no sex is just cruel. Becca is rejection prone, taking things as rejection, so she probably didn't take that well.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
17 hours ago, SummerDreams said:

To be honest I wouldn't care WHAT made him angry, the fact he reacted like that is enough for me to run away from him. It's like asking a woman who was raped "what were you wearing?". Doesn't matter.

I don't think it's the same.

He apparently didn't hit her, which would be an automatic "I don't care what she said, you don't hit her" for me.  But he threw stuff, and I would find it useful to know what kind of comment would lead a given person to do that.

And actually, I'd like to know what exactly he threw.  Pillows?  Her favorite stuffed animal?  Sure, that would still be alarming to me, but a lot less alarming than glasses or cast iron skillets.

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
(edited)
2 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I don't think it's the same.

He apparently didn't hit her, which would be an automatic "I don't care what she said, you don't hit her" for me.  But he threw stuff, and I would find it useful to know what kind of comment would lead a given person to do that.

And actually, I'd like to know what exactly he threw.  Pillows?  Her favorite stuffed animal?  Sure, that would still be alarming to me, but a lot less alarming than glasses or cast iron skillets.

I do think it's the same because whatever he's throwing it's likely coming from an anger management issue that he is not addressing.  Behavior like that is a sign of not being able to handle anger constructively and can escalate from pillows to worse.  And if the anger is really at her it's only a step from displacing it on inanimate objects to him threatening and even hitting her directly.  And I would very much doubt he was only throwing pillows.  At the very least he is trying to scare and intimidate her and that is abusive enough no matter what he threw.

It wouldn't surprise me if Brennan is a closet rage-aholic.  He doesn't express himself very well and keeps things inside to what looks to me like an unhealthy degree.  It's no wonder he would get to the point of boiling over inappropriately.  Often a partner of someone like that might inadvertently trigger their rage.  Emily may have made an innocuous comment but he interpreted it as an affront or a criticism.  I still say it doesn't even matter what she said because his reaction is destructive and abusive and nothing she could have said would make any difference in how I see that.  His reaction would be just as alarming to me whether he threw pillows or worse.

Edited by Yeah No
  • Like 3
  • Applause 1
9 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I do think it's the same because whatever he's throwing it's likely coming from an anger management issue that he is not addressing.  Behavior like that is a sign of not being able to handle anger constructively and can escalate from pillows to worse.  And if the anger is really at her it's only a step from displacing it on inanimate objects to him threatening and even hitting her directly.  And I would very much doubt he was only throwing pillows.  At the very least he is trying to scare and intimidate her and that is abusive enough no matter what he threw.

It wouldn't surprise me if Brennan is a closet rage-aholic.  He doesn't express himself very well and keeps things inside to what looks to me like an unhealthy degree.  It's no wonder he would get to the point of boiling over inappropriately.  Often a partner of someone like that might inadvertently trigger their rage.  Emily may have made an innocuous comment but he interpreted it as an affront or a criticism.  I still say it doesn't even matter what she said because his reaction is destructive and abusive and nothing she could have said would make any difference in how I see that.  His reaction would be just as alarming to me whether he threw pillows or worse.

I don’t really trust Emily’s description. “He threw something” could mean anything from “he tossed his phone down on the sofa in frustration” to “he broke every dish in the house.”

I don’t like either one of them and I don’t think either one of them is above exaggerating to make themselves look good. Remember Brendan on AfterParty saying Emily “tried to smother him” when it turned out she passed out on top of hi in bed?

• Like 7
(edited)

All of these contestants are pussyfooting around what they really think and what they really want to say in order to "look good" on TV.  I want answers and the contestants on this show won't give them to us.  It's so frustrating to watch this show- Emily's smirks and eye rolls, Brennan's dead eyes and "taking it day by day" phrase, Becca's huge pleading eyes 🥺 staring at Austin, Austin's childish backwards baseball caps, Clare's bad blonde dye job, and Michael's completely bizarre outfits.   The only thing I liked on this show was Clare's dog, and we don't even get to see that anymore 😆! How many more episodes are left of this season?! It's going on forever!  By the time this ends, I'll have a fucking husband and kids! 

Happy Monday everybody! 😅😙

Edited by Hip-to-be-Square
  • Like 3
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2
(edited)

Becca & Auston:  All they do is laugh a lot.  Maybe a kiss here n there.  That’s it.  I doubt it will last.  He’s not interested in her .. maybe as a friend only.

Edited by kristen111
  • Like 2
  • Love 2
14 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Emily may have made an innocuous comment but he interpreted it as an affront or a criticism. 

If she made an innocuous comment, then you'd think she'd want people to know what it was. 

I think it's a pretty big leap from someone accusing him of throwing unspecified things to concluding he did it to scare and intimidate her, never mind positing that he's a closet rage-aholic who gets to a point of boiling over inappropriately. 

• Like 6
On 1/21/2024 at 12:28 PM, Chatty Cake said:

. I can’t imagine coming down the aisle and seeing that dude. It seems almost mean of MAFS. 

Holy cow. This WAS mean. Just because you don't find him attractive  doesn't mean other people wouldn't. 

• Like 5
  • LOL 1
8 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

The only person I like is Cameron, and he has heart issues.  I hope he's ok. 

He was the nicest in the whole bunch, and they paired him with Miss Know it all, Claire, who thinks she’s a big shrink.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Jodyj said:

Holy cow. This WAS mean. Just because you don't find him attractive  doesn't mean other people wouldn't. 

I don't think he is not attractive but he is very special and definitely doesn't have an appearance we are used to. There is a chance his wife takes this seriously and is willing to stay and give it a go and she likes him in time. On the other hand, I thought Orion was special as well but Lauren seemed crazy about him so who knows.

2 hours ago, kristen111 said:

He was the nicest in the whole bunch, and they paired him with Miss Know it all, Claire, who thinks she’s a big shrink.

I don't think he was the nicest, but him being with Clare and him liking her and being someone who is rejected made him look good in our eyes. I didn't appreciate him not informing his family in NZ about his marriage. This is how this show has always worked, you are supposed to inform and invite the family to make it appear real at least. I think he just wanted to be on TV like everyone. His life didn't change at all after that, only he will have more women hitting on him.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
11 hours ago, kristen111 said:

She’s not a shrink and she‘s not big but she is actually a therapist.

I don’t think Cameron is nice. I think he is sarcastic, cold, pushes people away and is a lousy communicator. He might be a nice guy underneath all that but he’s not nice right out of the gate. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 2
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

I don’t think Cameron is nice. I think he is sarcastic, cold, pushes people away and is a lousy communicator. He might be a nice guy underneath all that but he’s not nice right out of the gate. 

Truthfully, I think this whole show is scripted.  If they happen to fall in love during the process, that’s a bonus.

• Like 3
On 1/19/2024 at 5:29 AM, kristen111 said:

Nah !  By now everyone is confused .. not only you.  I can’t remember the names half the time.  The Sx Therapist wears the too tight neon suits,  and Keisha wants to make the show her own, imo.  This show took a turn for the worst.  🤷‍♂️🤮  but we still watch.  Anyhow, the second wedding is coming up.  Another disaster.  Mismatch imo.

Whaaat!   I was always under the impression that most guys will screw anyone even on the first date.  3-6 months is ridiculous.  Who’s he kidding?

I had a British friend who used to say who looks at the mantle when you’re poking the fire. I had not  thought of that or her in decades. 

• Like 1
On 1/22/2024 at 4:34 PM, Jodyj said:

I think it’s meaner to not inform someone that they are matching her with a dude who runs around in a crown, wears earrings and leggings. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
On 1/22/2024 at 1:40 AM, Yeah No said:

I still say it doesn't even matter what she said 

Yet I still really want to know! 😄

18 hours ago, kristen111 said:

I think he was a gaslighter and a liar.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
2 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

I think it’s meaner to not inform someone that they are matching her with a dude who runs around in a crown, wears earrings and leggings. 

Ok - the crown was a gift from his wife-to-be and it was sweet of him to wear it to the ceremony. Plenty of men wear earrings.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Ok - the crown was a gift from his wife-to-be and it was sweet of him to wear it to the ceremony. Plenty of men wear earrings.

She will either love his quirky look or run out like the first one.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, kristen111 said:

She will either love his quirky look or run out like the first one.

Makes you wonder what the first one was expecting to see wearing the crown and sword she gave him! 😂

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
6 hours ago, Chatty Cake said:

The crown was a gift, right? Or am I misremembering?

• Like 5
On 1/22/2024 at 4:21 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

If she made an innocuous comment, then you'd think she'd want people to know what it was. 

I think it's a pretty big leap from someone accusing him of throwing unspecified things to concluding he did it to scare and intimidate her, never mind positing that he's a closet rage-aholic who gets to a point of boiling over inappropriately. 

I think it's a pretty big leap to go from someone having a wild time at their bachelorette party to believing their spouse who wants to throw her under the bus at any opportunity that she got wasted to the point of trying to jump his bones and whatever else he said she did off camera, and that this and the show calling her a "party girl" makes her an alcoholic with a wild lifestyle that he supposedly has a right not to appreciate and shame at any opportunity.   I don't know whether any of that is true but considering the sources I'm staying somewhat skeptical on that and don't feel it would be fair to base my opinion on either of them on what the other one said about them. 

My question, which has been my question all along, is why is Brennan believed when he talks about stuff she did off camera and she is not believed when she talks about stuff he did off camera?  I don't get that.  Neither one of them is credible and the show itself isn't either.  The show is well known for throwing people under the bus too (like we discussed re: Sheila).  They especially seem to like to make women look like shrews, sluts or wackos, and they've even convinced most of the audience of it in many cases when it was completely undeserved.

Besides, my opinion of Brennan is based on what I see of him in general and my gut instinct about him, which I trust better than anything coming out of the two of their mouths about each other.  My gut has been more reliable than going by anything people have ever said so I swear by it.  And I don't trust the show to paint an honest picture of anything they said or did - She may have disclosed what lead to his behavior but the show conveniently edited it out.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
On 1/22/2024 at 4:21 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

By the way, whether or not I'm talking about Brennan or anyone else, it is well known by people who keep track of these sorts of things that people that throw things in anger often do it to scare and intimidate their partners and that they often lash out that way because they hold their anger inside to the point of boiling over in a fit of rage instead of dealing with it constructively.  It is not generally considered that big a leap to come to those conclusions.  Call any domestic abuse hotline if you don't believe me.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Have to agree with all that and include socially deficiency!  He has family problems and even though he tells us he co-owns a high class bike business he lives in some family that befriended him's basement with spiders.

Some basements smell and it seems that visit to his home did uptown Clare...in!

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My question, which has been my question all along, is why is Brennan believed when he talks about stuff she did off camera and she is not believed when she talks about stuff he did off camera?  I don't get that.  Neither one of them is credible and the show itself isn't either.  The show is well known for throwing people under the bus too (like we discussed re: Sheila).  They especially seem to like to make women look like shrews, sluts or wackos, and they've even convinced most of the audience of it in many cases when it was completely undeserved.

Well for starters I believe them both.  She told us at the beginning that she likes going out and getting drunk, she showed us at the bachelorette party and on the honeymoon, she told us he changed after she pressured him for sex, so I believe him when she says she told him she likes one night stands and got drunk and tried to shower with him.

I believe he gets mad like she says because of his demeanor on the show, but that's not really evidence like she has left behind.  It's why I'm curious as to what preceded it - but she didn't want to say.  And I don't believe it was edited out due to her terse exchange with Keshia - she basically told her it was none of her business.  Which only serves to make Emily look worse, not Brennan. 

That's why I think he is believed more than her.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, LennieBriscoe said:

The crown was a gift, right? Or am I misremembering?

Yes, the crown and scepter were gifts from the first wife-to-be.

6 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Have to agree with all that and include socially deficiency!  He has family problems and even though he tells us he co-owns a high class bike business he lives in some family that befriended him's basement with spiders.

Some basements smell and it seems that visit to his home did uptown Clare...in!

Eh - I don’t mind that he lives in a basement apartment. He could be trying to save money and while the apartment wasn’t grand, it wasn’t horrible either. Denver rentals are expensive! I didn’t get the impression that the smell of his basement bothered Clare but she wasn’t fond of the bugs (I don’t blame her) and she didn’t like the vegemite.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, princelina said:

Well for starters I believe them both. 

I’m the opposite - I sort of don’t believe either one of them. I think that Brennan intentionally uses inflammatory and misleading language (e.g. “she tried to smother me” instead of “she passed out on my back in bed and I had to push her off”). His insistence on controlling the dialogue every time they meet with Dr. Pia is also alarming to me and does remind me of domestic abusers, though I’m not ready to say with certainty that he is an abusive person. I also think he is avoidant and vague.

Emily - after the last AfterParty, I think she also is misleading and intentionally vague in her communications. I think she is very snarky and sort of baits Brennan at times, being sarcastic rather than direct in expressing her frustrations. 

I think both of them are much more invested in trying to manage how they come across on screen than they are in genuinely trying to have any sort of relationship.

• Like 3
  • Applause 2
2 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I’m the opposite - I sort of don’t believe either one of them. I think that Brennan intentionally uses inflammatory and misleading language (e.g. “she tried to smother me” instead of “she passed out on my back in bed and I had to push her off”). His insistence on controlling the dialogue every time they meet with Dr. Pia is also alarming to me and does remind me of domestic abusers, though I’m not ready to say with certainty that he is an abusive person. I also think he is avoidant and vague.

Emily - after the last AfterParty, I think she also is misleading and intentionally vague in her communications. I think she is very snarky and sort of baits Brennan at times, being sarcastic rather than direct in expressing her frustrations. 

I think both of them are much more invested in trying to manage how they come across on screen than they are in genuinely trying to have any sort of relationship.

Thank you, this is exactly how I feel about both of them.  I asked why one should be believed over the other but I really don't completely believe either of them pretty much equally.  I think they both twist the truth in order to look better than the other one and to throw them under the bus.  We don't really know truth from fiction with them.  I also think that Cam and Clare engaged in this to a lesser degree as well.

• Like 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

Eh - I don’t mind that he lives in a basement apartment. He could be trying to save money and while the apartment wasn’t grand, it wasn’t horrible either. Denver rentals are expensive!

And he lives in Boulder, where housing is even harder to find and is more expensive.

15 hours ago, Yeah No said:

My question, which has been my question all along, is why is Brennan believed when he talks about stuff she did off camera and she is not believed when she talks about stuff he did off camera

I absolutely 100% believe Emily's assertion that Brennan threw stuff at the wall in response to something she said, and have never even implied otherwise. 

What I'd like to know is what she said and what he threw.  She's refused to answer the former and the latter hasn't been presented to her as a question.  So there's nothing to believe or disbelieve there, bringing me back to 100% believing her assertion that Brennan threw stuff at the wall.  No disbelieving going on at all.

Edited by StatisticalOutlier
  • Like 3
8 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I agree with that, but I also think that she is still thinking that he was into her on day 1 and 2 so there's something she can do to get that back (like jumping in the shower with him)  And I'm guessing he's not the first guy she's felt that way about, which goes along with her (lack of) dating history.  I get it - she wonders what is wrong with her and why things always seem to turn bad when she likes a guy and thinks he likes her, and is trying to salvage things with sex, when she's drunk, while refusing to look at her drinking/sexually aggressive behavior as the problem

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
13 hours ago, princelina said:

I agree with that, but I also think that she is still thinking that he was into her on day 1 and 2 so there's something she can do to get that back (like jumping in the shower with him)  And I'm guessing he's not the first guy she's felt that way about, which goes along with her (lack of) dating history.  I get it - she wonders what is wrong with her and why things always seem to turn bad when she likes a guy and thinks he likes her, and is trying to salvage things with sex, when she's drunk, while refusing to look at her drinking/sexually aggressive behavior as the problem

She did say something like that - that she was sure they had a spark when they first met and she thought that meant there was something they could get back. I don't remember ever feeling like they had a spark. I always thought she was goo much of a "woohoo" girl for his taste.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

She did say something like that - that she was sure they had a spark when they first met and she thought that meant there was something they could get back. I don't remember ever feeling like they had a spark. I always thought she was goo much of a "woohoo" girl for his taste.

I think he wasn't turned off by her at first - I don't know about a "spark" - but I think he learned about the woohoo girl during the first couple days of the honeymoon and then he was turned off

• Like 5