Type keyword(s) to search

Funny Woman - General Discussion

chitowngirl
  • Start Topic

It’s the height of the swinging 60s and Barbara Parker has just been crowned Miss Blackpool – but she’s certain there has to be more to life than being a beauty queen in a seaside town. With the bright lights of London calling, Barbara packs her bags and heads off to the city where she looks to take on the male-dominated world of comedy by storm.

The London Barbara Parker encounters is not as quite as swinging as the one she’d read about and seen on TV. However, after a series of setbacks Barbara finds herself in unfamiliar territory - an audition for a TV comedy show. Barbara’s uncompromising northern wit proves to be the X factor that the show has been missing. She gets the part and becomes part of a ground-breaking new sitcom.

Being a woman in a largely male environment has its own challenges, but as Barbara "finds her funny" she re-defines the prevailing attitude to funny women and in the process, reinvents herself.

Starring Gemma Arterton. PREMIERES SUNDAY, JANUARY 7 AT 10/9C On PBS

• Like 4
On 12/30/2023 at 3:40 PM, Shelbie said:

I watched this earlier this year when it aired in Canada. Really enjoyed it.

I watched 2 or 3 episodes over the holidays as the W network had it on demand. There were things that I enjoyed but the main sticking point for me so far is that Barbara seems to be so completely unaware of what she is doing and stumbles into her success for what feels like all the wrong reasons. I would rather see her more savvy about what she offers and how to achieve it even when the odds are against her. I am curious about how faithful it is to the source material and may consider trying to read the book before I continue.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)

Ep 1:

I spy Max from Vienna Blood

Was wondering how it would compare to TMMM but this definitely has its own charm to it. I like Barbara. Rooting for her.

Looking forward to more.

Edited by HoodlumSheep
  • Like 4

I liked it and set the series to record. Especially liked the fashions, sets, and music were consistent with the time period. 

• Like 4

I watched the first episode last night on local PBS. It's fun to watch, and I've set it to record. I was a young teen in that time period, and largely unaware of what was going on in England, except for the Beatles after they were introduced to America on Ed Sullivan's show. And Twiggy - when did she become well-known?

• Like 2

They’ve now dropped all six episodes on the PBS passport site.  I’ve only watched the first one so far, but I will probably binge, especially since there are no other new network shows yet. 
I liked it just okay. Agree with those who say she seems too naive. 

• Like 3

I'm binging on PBS passport. Did not know Barbara's manager is played by Rupert Everett (although he does look like someone in disguise/heavy makeup). Also didn't know this is based on a Nick Hornby book.

• Like 6
(edited)
5 hours ago, QQQQ said:

I'm binging on PBS passport. Did not know Barbara's manager is played by Rupert Everett (although he does look like someone in disguise/heavy makeup). Also didn't know this is based on a Nick Hornby book.

Yes Everett is unrecognizable!  The book’s name is Funny Girl, but they had to change it for the obvious reasons. I have not read it. 

The sudden period with white pants?  That was a memorable moment for this post menopausal lady. 

Twiggy became famous around 1966 or 1967?  

Edited by EtheltoTillie
  • Like 5
(edited)

Episode 2 was great. In spite of everything, she finally has some professionals in her corner and she has a job. There are many comedic bits throughout the episode, but I find myself frustrated with all the ways she self-sabotages her progress. Isn’t it enough that attitudes of the times are all against her? I’m not referring to the times when she speaks up against the chauvinistic attitudes, but things like making sure she’s on time and present. Those bits are frustrating to watch. Someone buy the woman a timepiece.

Edited by Daff
  • Applause 1

I wasn't particularly engaged during E.1 so I might go back and rewatch on Passport.

LOVED E.2.  I don't think her character is really clueless.  Sometimes comedians simply react in ways that would seem odd to me.  She is trying her hardest to get the attention of those who can help her and it looks like she has.

Can't wait for the rest of the season.

• Like 3

I loved the book and am loving the series.  Only two episodes shown here so far - is it okay to ask people to use spoiler tags?

I'm not bothered by things like her being late - it's part of the slapstick side of the show for me.

I think Gemma Arterton is brilliant in this.

• Like 3
7 hours ago, Ancaster said:

I loved the book and am loving the series.  Only two episodes shown here so far - is it okay to ask people to use spoiler tags?

I'm not bothered by things like her being late - it's part of the slapstick side of the show for me.

I think Gemma Arterton is brilliant in this.

We could do individual episode threads if people want to, especially since the show has been renewed by its UK network (though I don’t think we know the PBS status yet)

• Like 2
  • Useful 3
1 hour ago, DanaK said:

We could do individual episode threads if people want to, especially since the show has been renewed by its UK network (though I don’t think we know the PBS status yet)

Yes, if the new updates allow for individual episode threads, please do that! 

Otherwise, my personal system on single thread shows is to start my comments with something like "Comments about Episodes 2 & 3" or something like that, so people only on episode 1 know not to read it. 

I'm only up to Ep 3 on this show, and I'm really liking it!  I have PBS streaming, but I'm trying to space these out and not binge it. 

• Applause 1

I just finished watching the entire season on Passport.

Gemma Arterton is gorgeous, esp in her 60's clothes, hair, and makeup.

Arsher Ali is gorgeous. 

Matthew Beard is adorable. Nothing against him here, but I liked him better in Vienna Blood.

My absolute favorite characters were the agent and his wife. Rupert Everett was just great. I'm not sure, but I think the only prosthetics he had were false teeth. However, I haven't seen him in anything for a long time.

Overall, I liked the show, particularly the music, clothes, and other period touches, like all the interior decoration. I thought Barbara/Sophie was very funny, and you could see the Jim and Barbara show being a hit, but one thing I didn't like was slapstick outside of the show-with-the-show. (I won't cite specifics so as to avoid spoilers, though I guess they wouldn't really be spoilers per se.) 

• Like 2
On 1/18/2024 at 10:47 PM, peeayebee said:

Rupert Everett was just great. I'm not sure, but I think the only prosthetics he had were false teeth.

I didn't recognize him at first and when I did the teeth gave me a sudden flashback to him playing Miss Fritton in the St Trinian's remake in which it turns out Gemma Arterton was one of the girls. 

I'm reading the book and so far Barbara has demonstrated more competence than came across in the show.

18 hours ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I went back to episode 2 to compare some of the scenes in the book to the show and was flabbergasted to discover that the actor who plays Clive also plays Matt in Based on a True Story with Kaley Cuoco and Chris Messina. 

TB was also in Behind Her Eyes on Netflix, and both Branagh adaptations of Christie's Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile.  FWIW, he's married to Daisy Ridley.

• Useful 2

I waited too long to watch this and missed my chance.  I bought Passport one year and was disappointed at how little they had so I won't be doing it again for one show.

it's odd to me that I can buy one month of Netflix for 16 dollars, watch a season of the Crown, and many other things, while the "free" public television makes you pay $60 to watch anything at all. 😒

• Applause 1

I donate to a PBS station (PBS SoCal) and get a Passport membership. I don't remember how much I donated, but I think it was less than $60. Plus, I've done my donation to the station, so Passport is just a nice extra. I've also found several shows on there that I liked.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

This show is riding on the shirt tails of Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and does not have the chops to compete with it.  Like Midge, in my opinion, Babs just isn't funny. And the entire cast lacks the cohesiveness that made Maisel such a joy to watch despite the premise of Midge not really being a comedian. Everyone seems to be  acting independently from each other and I can't see any chemistry between any of them. The character development is minimal at best.  She's a star by episode 2!  Ridiculous.  I fell asleep and won't be watching the rest of it.  Too bad the Britts seem to have embraced American banality. 

https://www.pbs.org/show/funny-woman

@JudyObscure Episodes 2 and 3 are streaming at the aboove PBS website for free. I'd think that Ep. 2 will be removed when Ep. 4 airs on Sunday so act quickly. Ep. 1 IMO, was weak in relation to 2 & 3. I don't think you miss all that much without seeing the pilot. There's a recap of the important moments  from Ep. 1 at the beginning of Ep. 2 and I'm spoiler tagging a brief description of Ep. 1 for you.

Spoiler

Ep. 1 Description 

Barbara Parker is a beautiful girl, living in Blackpool with her father and his sister, Marie. Her mother left the family years prior. She's engaged to the local butcher, who is also quite good looking. Barbara wins the Miss Blackpool beauty contest, but decides that she wants more out of life. She hands her crown and sash to the first runner-up and heads to London to make a different life for herself. She gets a job selling hats in a department store and befriends Marjorie, a sales clerk in the shoe dept. Marjorie is looking for a roommate and Barbara moves into her dumpy flat.

Barbara manages to get herself a manager/agent (played by an almost unrecognizable Rupert Everett.) She re-christens herself as Sophie Straw and by episode's end has worked her way into an audition for a television pilot.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

Yay!  Now I've watched it thanks to @ProudMary.  I had to go way back to "Tess of the D'Urbervilles" to find where I'd seen the actress before.  She looks so pretty to me, those hair and clothing styles were what I saw and admired when growing up and I think that remains the ideal somewhere in  the back of my mind.

• Applause 2
On 1/22/2024 at 7:51 AM, Kimmmmmm said:

I love this! Much more appealing star than on TMMM and a refreshing change from all the dry Victorian/Edwardian dramas.

What's TMMM?  Thanks.

On 1/23/2024 at 9:26 AM, sugarbaker design said:

TB was also in Behind Her Eyes on Netflix, and both Branagh adaptations of Christie's Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile.  FWIW, he's married to Daisy Ridley.

TB?  Again, thanks.

Sorry, my brain isn't good with initializations.  (Is that the word?  Or even a word beyond computer speak?)

• Like 1
On 1/25/2024 at 9:12 AM, JudyObscure said:

I waited too long to watch this and missed my chance.  I bought Passport one year and was disappointed at how little they had so I won't be doing it again for one show.

it's odd to me that I can buy one month of Netflix for 16 dollars, watch a season of the Crown, and many other things, while the "free" public television makes you pay $60 to watch anything at all. 😒

I donate $10 per year to my local PBS station and get full access. Absolutely worth it!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AstridM said:

I donate $10 per year to my local PBS station and get full access. Absolutely worth it!

Definitely worth it for ten dollars,  but my station, and most of them, have a 60 dollar minimum to get Passport.  I did it a couple of years but now I've seen most of the archived things I wanted and the new things I can watch online for a week after it's on TV.