Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 12/4/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Dec. 4 – Julia Roberts (“Leave the World Behind”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Tuesday, Dec. 5 – The Political View with White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre; Kenan Thompson (author, “When I Was Your Age”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Wednesday, Dec. 6 – Cynthia Nixon (“The Gilded Age” and play “The Seven Year Disappear”); Matt Rogers (album, “Have You Heard of Christmas?”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Thursday, Dec. 7 – Matt Bomer and Jonathan Bailey (“Fellow Travelers”); “12 Days of Holidays”

Friday, Dec. 8 – Triumph the Insult Comic Dog aka Robert Smigel; “12 Days of Holidays”

• Thanks 1

Oh, right, we didn't get Triumph the Insult Dog a couple weeks ago.

Looking forward to Cynthia Nixon because The Gilded Age is my current obsession.

I read Leave the World Behind some time ago.  It's creepy.

Is it just me or does anyone else think that adults dressed like elves jumping around is disturbing? 

I would like to see Liz Chaney as a guest. Her book release is soon, tomorrow? so I would like to see her at the table. 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I would have preferred that the idiots writers would have come up with a short script to mention some of Justice O'Connor's landmark decisions, instead of just a 10 second line and a picture of her. After all, they had the weekend to work on it, and this show is under the news division.

Oh, wait. I forgot what show this was.

Julia Roberts...blah, blah, blah...Whoopi is amazing....zzzzzzz. And no mention of Erin Brockovich, the role that got Julia her first Oscar? Her character was downright despicable in My Best Friend's Wedding. The former was a better movie role to ask about. But that's just me.

That said, I did like what Whoopi had to say during the first segment.

Did the 90s call and talk to Sunny? What was THAT with the sleeves/cuffs on her hands?

ETA: I would love to have a real tree, but a lot of my ornaments are Hallmark keepsakes and too heavy to hang without the risk of them falling and breaking. So I have an artificial one I've been using and reusing for years.

But really? A gold artificial tree? That just sounds fugly.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 5

It was obvious Julia Roberts did not want to talk about Matthew Perry. I have to wonder why her people and the producers didn't get together about avoiding painful topics. They must have known that Perry and Roberts dated for awhile around the time of her guest role on Friends.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
5 hours ago, Sue in her 60s said:

It was obvious Julia Roberts did not want to talk about Matthew Perry. I have to wonder why her people and the producers didn't get together about avoiding painful topics. They must have known that Perry and Roberts dated for awhile around the time of her guest role on Friends.

Right! She totally avoided the question. I was multi-tasking and thought I had missed something but I was too lazy not interested enough to rewind.

10 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But really? A gold artificial tree? That just sounds fugly.

I imagined tinsel gold, but its yellow. I haven't seen it, but on the podcast (which I just recently started listening to and thoroughly enjoy) Brian compared it to Big Bird. He told her it was more yellow than gold.

9 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Right! She totally avoided the question. I was multi-tasking and thought I had missed something but I was too lazy not interested enough to rewind.

I imagined tinsel gold, but its yellow. I haven't seen it, but on the podcast (which I just recently started listening to and thoroughly enjoy) Brian compared it to Big Bird. He told her it was more yellow than gold.

1 hour ago, Haleth said:

That sounds hideous.  I'd like to see is pic though.

It does sound hideous. I was picturing more of actual gold color gold, which is fugly enough. Blech.

Farrah:

What part of Jean-Pierre's "I'm the White House Press Secretary-I speak for the White House and not [insert what'sherface'sname], who will have to address it herself" did you not understand, when you kept asking if that person should clarify what she said?

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Their ability to totally ignore what they were talking about & allegedly come back to it after a break is astounding. On Tuesday Sunny asked a question about how a third party on the ticket would work & Whoopie said "we'll come back & talk about it" at the first break & it was never mentioned again.

Maybe they should just call it "GMA Light".

• Like 3

Ladies, you may not like, or agree with, the law, but what Sunny was saying is totally accurate.  Most hate speech is protected by the Constitution.  Sucks for us as citizens, but there are plenty of laws on the books that I don't agree with too (e.g. - six week abortion bans).  

• Like 4

And what Whoopi and Sunny didn't say as strongly as they could have,  Is that similar hateful things are said about minorities and LGBTQ on college campuses all the time, and that too is protected.   One of them tried to make that point to Allyssa when discussing the difference between hanging a noose in a public space vs hanging a noose on a specific person's door.   One is protected speech the other is a direct threat.   But Alyssa seemed to be intent on a gotcha moment instead of realizing her own hypocrisy.      

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

The point the ladies were trying to make is that universities should have a student code of conduct requirement that forbids hate speech and demonstrations, with consequences when disobeyed. Of course this runs right into the First Amendment at public universities, but can private schools enforce this on school property?

19 minutes ago, Haleth said:

The point the ladies were trying to make is that universities should have a student code of conduct requirement that forbids hate speech and demonstrations, with consequences when disobeyed. Of course this runs right into the First Amendment at public universities, but can private schools enforce this on school property?

I don't think they can.  Private universities still receive federal funding, so I think it would still be subject similar rules as public universities.   I also doubt that a liberal arts private school would want to limit free speech (even hate speech).   It's somewhat of a slippery slope, as reasonable people can disagree on what is hate speech.  I don't remember if the example the ladies discussed actually occurred on the college campus, or was it social media posting of a student of the college.   

31 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Of course this runs right into the First Amendment at public universities, but can private schools enforce this on school property?

1 minute ago, After7Only said:

It's somewhat of a slippery slope, as reasonable people can disagree on what is hate speech. 

Slippery slope indeed!  I remember Joy once saying 'the constitution does not protect hate speech'.  I yelled from my couch 'oh, yes it does!'

I don't like Sunny but FFS Alyssa just shut up & let her say what she has to say without constantly butting in & trying to argue with her. I got so annoyed with it on Wednesday's show that I have no idea what Sunny was even attempting to say. 

As I'm having to watch a day later now due to AT&T and Tegna not letting me watch ABC at all I've paid more attention to the run time and it breaks down into 3 basic elements over about 40 minutes (seems less). 10/15 minutes of actual discussing issues followed by 20 minutes of interviewing whoever is promoting a show/book/movie on the day & 5/10 minutes of selling crap. So really unless you're interested in shitty interviews & them fawning over whoever & buying the crap (usually) they're selling  you get 10/15 actual minutes of anyone's view if you're very lucky. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Shrek said:

I don't like Sunny but FFS Alyssa just shut up & let her say what she has to say without constantly butting in & trying to argue with her.

Seriously! And Sunny was right: the law is the LAW. Language, even hate speech, is protected. And what Stefanik? was demanding in such hostile tones, was about conduct. And because of the constant interruptions by Farrah (the most), Sara, and Joy, I wonder if Sunny could have gotten to explain that right to free speech has consequences. It's not absolute. Farrah can STFU with her aboutisms.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1
6 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

If Farrah is now the worst (I don't agree) at interrupting, she was taught by the best on the show. That would be you, Sunny. And second would be Joy.

Generally, I don't mind interruptions, but what Sunny was saying in this case was important. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

If Farrah is now the worst (I don't agree) at interrupting, she was taught by the best on the show. That would be you, Sunny. And second would be Joy.

I felt bad for Cynthia Nixon, she was trying to make a point while Joy and Sunny repeatedly interrupted her.

2 hours ago, MMEButterfly said:

Generally, I don't mind interruptions, but what Sunny was saying in this case was important. 

I do mind interruptions, except when AFG is the one being interrupted!  ;)

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
On 12/6/2023 at 3:58 PM, sugarbaker design said:

Slippery slope indeed!  I remember Joy once saying 'the constitution does not protect hate speech'.  I yelled from my couch 'oh, yes it does!'

When I was in college 20 years ago, I had to write a paper about the first amendment..and it did bring up the point that hate speech is protected and trying to limit that would put people advocating for equal rights at risk for being censured (i.e. slippery slope).  Although I had read colleges was the worst place for freedom of speech (which I'm finding to be true).  Now those students could get job offers rescinded though.

Asking JR about Matthew Perry was weird.  

Sunny just seems negative lately.

4 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

I felt bad for Cynthia Nixon, she was trying to make a point while Joy and Sunny repeatedly interrupted her.

I do mind interruptions, except when AFG is the one being interrupted!  ;)

And AFG has as much right not to be interrupted as the others.

• Like 5
20 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I loved seeing everyone’s dogs but had to laugh. Not only does Sunny have the most ginormous dog, she has two of them!  No one is going to top that!

Same! I laughed even harder because Manny had to bribe...Finnegan? to get him to sit, lay down, and lift his paw! 😅

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

I don't think anyone said or even suggested that Farrah was the worst but on the show Wednesday she was insufferable to the point that what Sunny was trying to say about the law was totally lost. I am the last person I would have expected to stick up for Sunny but there we go.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
1 hour ago, Haleth said:

I loved seeing everyone’s dogs but had to laugh. Not only does Sunny have the most ginormous dog, she has two of them!  

And she strangely pronounces the breed as New-Found-Land instead of nu-fun-lun.  I noticed she said it that way the other day as well, but I thought she was joking.  

• Like 3
  • LOL 2

I thought Ana's dog should have won.  I loved her little dance and was impressed that she'd been trained to jump into her carrier.  That said, I thought it was funny that everyone but Sunny basically had the same dog.  LOL.  I always forget that Sunny has such big dogs because she doesn't really give off "big dog" energy to me.  Sarah I can see having big dogs (which is ironic as I believe her dogs were chihuahuas, weren't they?) but Sunny always strikes me as someone who would have small to medium dogs.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

I loved seeing everyone’s dogs but had to laugh. Not only does Sunny have the most ginormous dog, she has two of them!  No one is going to top that!

Cha Cha was robbed!....LOL.   Her jumping into her carrier on command looked like the best trick.   

• Like 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

It bothered me Sunny was so dismissive of Swift and her accomplishments and generosity.

She was offered tickets a while ago and she and her daughter had no interest in going, she said on the show.

And...Sunny said she thinks Swift maybe plays the guitar this week.

I no longer get Sunny let alone having a dog drooling guy to follow their dogs around, WTF?

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Shrek said:

I don't think anyone said or even suggested that Farrah was the worst but on the show Wednesday she was insufferable to the point that what Sunny was trying to say about the law was totally lost. I am the last person I would have expected to stick up for Sunny but there we go.

Understood. But let's face it, they're ALL guilty of interruptions at some point or another. It just took AFG a bit longer to get the hang of it.

• Like 1

No comments about Triumph The Insult Dog?  His jokes were pretty funny!  Joy seemed genuinely irked. What, Joy, you can dish it out but you can't take it?😉

My favorite joke was when he said that Joy, Sara, Sunny, and Ana broke the Actor's strike this summer because they were all actors. How so, somebody asked? He said you all act everyday that you actually care about whatever AFG has to say!  Say what you will about Alyssa but she's a good sport.  She laughed the hardest about that joke, 

• Applause 1
  • LOL 1
16 hours ago, HerkyJerky said:

No comments about Triumph The Insult Dog?  His jokes were pretty funny!  Joy seemed genuinely irked. What, Joy, you can dish it out but you can't take it?😉

My favorite joke was when he said that Joy, Sara, Sunny, and Ana broke the Actor's strike this summer because they were all actors. How so, somebody asked? He said you all act everyday that you actually care about whatever AFG has to say!  Say what you will about Alyssa but she's a good sport.  She laughed the hardest about that joke, 

Always enjoy Triumph...and good to see his 'handler'.

Joy is just becoming an old fuddy duddy (as she likes to call it). She seems to get irked over the stupidest things lately, like being exposed that she takes her shoes off on the airplane. So what, who cares? 🙃 As long as they're not in my face, I say stop sweating the small stuff, Joy.

Agree about Alyssa. You wouldn't see that with the previous seat filler.

• Like 2

LOL - Sunny does love her entourage even if the mop the drool guy was her godson. She happens to have more than these 2 dogs, even little ones like the others,  but had to make it all about herself, jmo.

The others were trying to make it a fun competition of doggy cuteness.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Like 2