Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 11/20/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Nov. 20 – Josh Gad (Broadway’s “Gutenberg! The Musical!”; “Wolf Like Me”)

Tuesday, Nov. 21 – Sarah Paulson (Broadway’s “Appropriate”)

Wednesday, Nov. 22 – “The View” celebrates Thanksgiving; Carla Hall (“Holiday Baking Championship”); JoJo Siwa (“Special Forces: World’s Toughest Test”); Tika the Iggy

Thursday, Nov. 23 (ENCORE BROADCAST OAD: 10/17/23) – Cast of ABC’s “Shark Tank” including Mark Cuban, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin O’Leary, Daymond John, Robert Herjavec and Lori Greiner; John Grisham (author, “The Exchange”)

Friday, Nov. 24 (ENCORE BROADCAST OAD: 10/25/23) – Morgan Freeman (docu-series, “Life on Our Planet”)

• Thanks 1

Well, well, well!  Whoopi has finally been ordered to act interested in the topics that don't interest her.  How do we know?  Whoopi herself told us, as she then proceeded to show exaggerated "interest" in the topic at hand in an animated "Ha! Ha! Ha! That's so funny!" way. 

So she's given a directive from the higher ups and proceeds to ridicule the directive.  Typical Whoopi.

• Like 7
  • Mind Blown 2
  • Applause 2

Ok, I am as old as dirt and the panel came out and joyful Whoopi proceeded with the first topic.

Eventually we received a few sentences about Rosalyn Carter?!!!

Then Whoopi pretends to be interested in making her being interested in another topic a joke.

I've never missed Joy more. Or Barbara Walters.

• Like 11
8 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

To be fair, these topics are bullshit.  I rarely side with Whoopi but WTF with this tired shit? There is so much going on and they discuss this?

They gave pretty short shrift to Rosalyn Carter.  I agree with you and Whoopi that these topics are usually boring.  So what?  Who cares?  I get that they want to have a lighter discussion in the second segment, but pulling up questions from advice columns is lazy.  

• Like 4
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I get that they want to have a lighter discussion in the second segment, but pulling up questions from advice columns is lazy.  

There is so much going on in the world and advice columns is what they come up with as hot topics?  I miss the days of Meredith holding up the newspapers and reading the headlines and that is what they talked about.

• Like 7

I think Whoopi must be a handful to deal with as an employee. She's told by management (and it is very apparent to the viewers) that she doesn't seem engaged enough throughout the entire (1 hour!) show, so she tells the audience that she'll be more "interested", thus undermining the effort. She's a performer and actress, for crying out loud - her job is to convey feelings that she doesn't actually feel. This shouldn't be difficult; it isn't like breaking rocks, after all. If she can't do that convincingly for 1 hour a day, she doesn't deserve that much lauded EGOT. I'll bet someone would love to fire her in favor of someone else, but there's likely a contractual/financial reason they have to stick with her. 

I was surprised at how little mention was made of the death of Rosalynn Carter. For a group that can talk about vapid reality show people for whole segments, they had pretty much nothing to say about Rosalynn who was an exceptional person and First Lady.

• Like 12
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, KittyQ said:

I was surprised at how little mention was made of the death of Rosalynn Carter. For a group that can talk about vapid reality show people for whole segments, they had pretty much nothing to say about Rosalynn who was an exceptional person and First Lady.

Seriously, even if the panelists are so ignorant they have nothing to offer, they can read tweets by Kamala Harris, Jill Biden, Michelle Obama, Laura Bush and Hillary Clinton.

Edited by sugarbaker design
  • Like 6
  • Applause 3
2 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Seriously, even if the panelists are so ignorant they have nothing to offer, they can read tweets by Kamala Harris, Jill Biden, Michelle Obama, Laura Bush and Hillary Clinton.

They have spent more time talking about a living former first lady.

This show will still do what Bill Geddie used to call "make sparks".  Which I always found insulting to the audience.  Like the only reason we would watch was to see trainwrecks.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I agree with you and Whoopi that these topics are usually boring.  So what?  Who cares?

Except Whoopi is paid millions of dollars to discuss the topics at hand, whether they be interesting topics or not.  It's not very professional to sit there with her chin in her hand, rolling her eyes, and leaving no doubt that she's bored.

• Like 10
45 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

Except Whoopi is paid millions of dollars to discuss the topics at hand, whether they be interesting topics or not.  It's not very professional to sit there with her chin in her hand, rolling her eyes, and leaving no doubt that she's bored.

Not to mention she’s only there for an hour.  It’s not like she’s putting in a 12 hour day at the Dairy Queen.

• Like 12
57 minutes ago, Gemma Violet said:

But there a lot of viewers who feel exactly like she does on these topics.   Whoopi helps us feel seen 🙂.

I personally don't want her to pretend she understands or is interested in topics geared to a younger pop culture demographic.   Women of a certain age just aren't interested in who's dating who....

• Like 6
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

But there a lot of viewers who feel exactly like she does on these topics.   Whoopi helps us feel seen 🙂.

I personally don't want her to pretend she understands or is interested in topics geared to a younger pop culture demographic.   Women of a certain age just aren't interested in who's dating who....

Personally, I can't get enough of the Taylor/Travis love story.  Much better than the Lopez/Affleck dreck we were subjected to.  Just sayin'!!

3 hours ago, After7Only said:

However, most of us are not being paid to participate in these discussions. Even at work, when a conversation ventured into areas that didn't interest me, I at least refrained from rolling my eyes and acting like a bored child. Of course, I had the option to leave, but in the interest of being polite and getting along with my coworkers, I could follow the discussion to a certain extent, although I didn't have any particular input to share. 

The hosts should be able to offer input and suggestions prior to the show, and the viewers can also offer feedback about the topics covered. If enough people say they aren't interested, it should give the producers something to think about.

• Like 7
18 hours ago, After7Only said:

but if you were paid whatever huge amount whoopi gets for sitting there, wouldn't you maybe not make faces that show how bored you were with the topic.  just politely sit there until they are done with the topic and on one you like, like herself, her favorite topic

• Like 3

Until she was (apparently) scolded the bored look was her schtick. She would look to the audience/camera to get a laugh, like she used to do when she’d sneak out to steal whatever the show was hawking. It seems she was told to cut that out too. 

• Like 4
19 hours ago, After7Only said:

I totally agree, I'd rather she stay authentic and show her contempt for these sorry topics.

• Like 5

You know, like many of you, I watch plenty of CNN and MSNBC.  I am exposed to what is going on in the world currently.  I welcome a little relief from talking about the news - The View spends a lot of time talking about politics and current events and I like that.  But there is nothing wrong with a little light topics here and there.  

I have a SIL who is not on any social media and only watches British TV programs.  She rolls her eyes if you talk about anything else, she knows almost nothing about pop culture - oh and she lets you know it is beneath her.  Frankly I find that behavior boring and rude.

• Like 4

So on all the Thanksgiving topics discussed today.  I'll admit, if I had to do it again, I would have skipped some family Thanksgivings between the ages of 23-27.  I was recently out of college and things weren't going stellar both career and relationship wise and just as Alyssa said, all my uncles and aunts had to ask me about it (some of them even making fun comments along the way!).  It didn't help that I was the oldest of all the grandkids, so the rest of my cousins were still in college, so there was no one else to ask but me.  I had run the idea of skipping to my mom and she guilted me into going about three years in a row.  So yeah, I think if you need to skip a year every now and then, that's understandable.  

As for politics at Thanksgiving, why?  And no, Joy, people do not need to be "educated" about why their political views are wrong.  That strategy isn't going to change anyone's mind.  If you want to have a polite, calm conversation where people with differing view points talk about why they hold the positions they do, then great, but usually, it just devolves into, "I'm right, you're wrong, so there!"  Personally, I don't need that kind of stress added to my holidays.  

On a side note, I liked Whoopi's hair today.  She looked perky!  

• Like 6
  • Hugs 1
19 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

As for politics at Thanksgiving, why?  And no, Joy, people do not need to be "educated" about why their political views are wrong.  That strategy isn't going to change anyone's mind.  If you want to have a polite, calm conversation where people with differing view points talk about why they hold the positions they do, then great, but usually, it just devolves into, "I'm right, you're wrong, so there!"  Personally, I don't need that kind of stress added to my holidays.  

So true! That attitude of "educating" someone is what leads to major arguments. It is condescending and obnoxious. How would Joy like someone to take it on themselves to "educate" her about something she feels strongly about?

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

So on all the Thanksgiving topics discussed today.  I'll admit, if I had to do it again, I would have skipped some family Thanksgivings between the ages of 23-27.  I was recently out of college and things weren't going stellar both career and relationship wise and just as Alyssa said, all my uncles and aunts had to ask me about it (some of them even making fun comments along the way!).  It didn't help that I was the oldest of all the grandkids, so the rest of my cousins were still in college, so there was no one else to ask but me.  I had run the idea of skipping to my mom and she guilted me into going about three years in a row.  So yeah, I think if you need to skip a year every now and then, that's understandable.  

On a side note, I liked Whoopi's hair today.  She looked perky!  

Thanksgiving is the time to not talk about politics.. just focus on the food and other fun activities.  Joy is just a bitter person in general nowadays.

With that said, if you have a family that can't avoid politics or pushing their beliefs on you then opt out of going home for the holidays.   There were years in my 20s (22 to 26) where I hated going to family for the holidays because of their disapproval over anyone that was LGTBQ+.  So eventually I said I wouldn't be coming to the holiday gatherings because I was tired of being asked if I was seeing anyone, when I would get married, etc... and they do ask men this as well.. especially those that bring no one home nor mention seeing anyone.

Nowadays I don't celebrate the holiday nor can I afford to pay the higher cost to travel during the holidays so I just sit at a local Starbucks/coffee shop on Turkey day with 'A Christmas Carol' book and read as I sip my coffee.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 2
41 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Today is the second day Aylassa wore an outfit that makes me think she’s with child. 

Although I wish this for Alyssa because I think she has mentioned wanting this, I'd hate to see self-righteous Whoopi pat herself on the back because if the premonition she had a few weeks ago 😕 

• LOL 2