Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: The Overview Effect

• Start Topic

Hanover! I'm so glad Alex didn't get duped by that douche. 

And Chip as the whistleblower. 😅

I'm looking forward to season 4…which, because of the strike(s), likely won't be until 2025 at the earliest. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Like 4

“I’ll miss you.”    
“Me too.”

My favorite part of this finale is the hallway scene between Cory and Bradley. Ohh Cory… 😭💔

Billy f-king Crudup! 👏🏻

Chip’s meltdown is epic! 😆

The way Paul Marks says “Hanover” is quite chilling. He thinks he’s so clever that no one can outwit him.

Knowing what she knows, I feel suffocated seeing Alex sharing her bed with Paul the night before and he’s a light sleeper.

The merger of 2 news networks - is this really the best solution? Hey, let’s merge and let go half of our employees.

Instead of reporting the truth about Hyperion, UBA has chosen to trust Paul Marks in doing the right things? Is that it? His takedown is so underwhelming.

Bradley and Hal walking into the FBI HQ without their lawyer. Really?

• Like 3
  • Applause 3

I thought this episode was the best of the season.  It wasn't all over the place; it pretty much had a straightforward narrative.  The whole show is a bit too soapy for my liking but I love Chip and I Love Corey.   And I love Holland Taylor, more of her please!  

Didn't buy that Paul Marks who is suspicious of everything would blurt out the Hanover name to Alex so soon after he had seen Bradley's phone.  

Didn't buy that Laura would get a merger arranged so quickly, and I don't see how that solution is very good for news.  

Chris to me is completely unbelievable as an anchor (though I haven't watched any actual morning shows in quite a while, just because of the nonsense they do).    

I don't see the need for a next season but I guess its already planned.  Knowing me, I'll tune in.

I was going to cancel Apple, but the Buccaneers looks promising.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, weaver said:

I thought this episode was the best of the season.  It wasn't all over the place; it pretty much had a straightforward narrative.  The whole show is a bit too soapy for my liking but I love Chip and I Love Corey.   And I love Holland Taylor, more of her please!  

Didn't buy that Paul Marks who is suspicious of everything would blurt out the Hanover name to Alex so soon after he had seen Bradley's phone.  

Didn't buy that Laura would get a merger arranged so quickly, and I don't see how that solution is very good for news.  

Chris to me is completely unbelievable as an anchor (though I haven't watched any actual morning shows in quite a while, just because of the nonsense they do).    

I don't see the need for a next season but I guess its already planned.  Knowing me, I'll tune in.

I was going to cancel Apple, but the Buccaneers looks promising.  

To his detriment, Paul seemed suspicious of everyone BUT Alex.   If she was dickmatized, she clearly had him clitmatized 😂 

In all seriousness, he clearly thought he had her on lock…

The real crime of this season was the underutilization of Tig Notaro!

5 hours ago, Snazzy Daisy said:

“I’ll miss you.”    
“Me too.”

My favorite part of this finale is the hallway scene between Cory and Bradley. Ohh Cory… 😭💔

Billy f-king Crudup! 👏🏻

The way Paul Marks says “Hanover” is quite chilling. He thinks he’s so clever that no one can outwit him.

Knowing what she knows, I feel suffocated seeing Alex sharing her bed with Paul the night before and he’s a light sleeper.

The merger of 2 news networks - is this really the best solution? Hey, let’s merge and let go half of our employees.

Instead of reporting the truth about Hyperion, UBA has chosen to trust Paul Marks in doing the right things? Is that it? His takedown is so underwhelming.

Well don’t they have some things over on him to use as leverage? I could be wrong but I thought they did…

• LOL 2
14 hours ago, weaver said:

I didn't have a problem with Marks saying "Hanover." He's just seen it. He didn't have much time to process Alex's text to Bradley, before Alex walked in, and he's been diligent in trying to force a team with Alex in one way or another, since his introduction to the show. 

I think the merger arrangement was nonsensical, though. Somehow Laura, got to NBN to make an overnight (?) bid to merge, complete with a business proposal.

Are both UBA and NBN (YDA's network) supposed to be broadcast networks, or is NBN a cable outlet? I don't know the ins and outs, but I do think merging two broadcast networks would be super complex, and the FCC might not even allow it. Broadcast airwaves belong to the people, so they are subject to additional scrutiny that cable networks are not.

14 hours ago, weaver said:

How so?

Edited by General Days
typo correction
  • Like 1

I thought Marks had hacked Alex's phone too, but I guess he was still just on Bradley's. 

I can't tell what emotion Aniston is attempting to portray, her face is so plastic. There was a sideview close up of her and it literally (IMO) looked like she was wearing a mask of her own face. 

It's like the writer's have a good idea, but they don't think it thru and just go ahead and put it in the script and it's up to the viewers to notice that it's so illogical it's laughable. No business deal of that magnitude is done on the say so of an anchor and the network President. There are attorneys, accountants, the FCC, the Board, etc.  And in the middle of the night to boot? Yeah right. 

Bradley's money should get her a really good attorney to defend her and Hal. Where were they? Already in the conference room where she's going to give her deposition?

I'm not sure what Hal's defense is. "I'm an idiot who believed a bunch of stupid shit that got people killed" isn't going to get him very far. Bradley was trying to help her idiot brother and got caught up in the emotions of protecting her screwed up family.  I have to say tho, you got blamed for telling the police your father hit and killed a kid, then your brother gives you shit about not ratting him out for trying to overthrow the US government.  Maybe it's time to cut bait and get away from this bunch of losers. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
1 hour ago, General Days said:

I do think merging two broadcast networks would be super complex, and the FCC might not even allow it. Broadcast airwaves belong to the people, so they are subject to additional scrutiny that cable networks are not.

Yes, I'm no longer familiar with the laws/regulations, but generally news media cannot impose a monopoly. In the 80s there were conglomerates that owned all TV, radio and newspapers in one market, and they were forced to sell some of those off.

Billy Crudup is MVP of the season.

I can't tell what emotion Aniston is attempting to portray, her face is so plastic. There was a sideview close up of her and it literally (IMO) looked like she was wearing a mask of her own face. 

Margulies also displays this effect. It's like bumpy orange peel.

Aniston wore some distracting hair this season, including one episode where she had thick wavy hair one moment (a new look for her), followed by smoothly tousled curls, all in one long scene. My actress friend says aging actresses wear the casually messy hair to help hide their faces and necks. Add to that Aniston's limited range of acting choices: big eyes, quivery lips, tight lips, flopping around in bed, making exclamations to herself. Witherspoon is just as bad. Baharie is also not believable. Greatly reduced the quality of the production.

I've enjoyed them in other productions, but they are laughable TV news characters in this series (except for the realistic narcissism, which most TV news people have. One reason I left the business.).

I've enjoyed the supporting cast, especially Duplass and Pittman.

The 24-hour merger of two powerful networks is a joke.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, weaver said:

How so?

She's always projecting a silliness.  Don't know if that was the actress' or the writers fault.  Course one of the reasons I gave up the network morning shows was because of the silliness, so maybe she nailed it.  

• LOL 1
9 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

Yes, I'm no longer familiar with the laws/regulations, but generally news media cannot impose a monopoly. In the 80s there were conglomerates that owned all TV, radio and newspapers in one market, and they were forced to sell some of those off.

Billy Crudup is MVP of the season.

Margulies also displays this effect. It's like bumpy orange peel.

Aniston wore some distracting hair this season, including one episode where she had thick wavy hair one moment (a new look for her), followed by smoothly tousled curls, all in one long scene. My actress friend says aging actresses wear the casually messy hair to help hide their faces and necks. Add to that Aniston's limited range of acting choices: big eyes, quivery lips, tight lips, flopping around in bed, making exclamations to herself. Witherspoon is just as bad. Baharie is also not believable. Greatly reduced the quality of the production.

I've enjoyed them in other productions, but they are laughable TV news characters in this series (except for the realistic narcissism, which most TV news people have. One reason I left the business.).

I've enjoyed the supporting cast, especially Duplass and Pittman.

The 24-hour merger of two powerful networks is a joke.

The writing is so mediocre on this show I don't think Streep and Daniel Day Lewis could make some of this crap believable. 

Crudup is the best actor on the show as far as series regulars. At least Hamm made evil billionaires seem human. I heard Marks was an Elon Musk like character which is kind of an insult. Hamm has more charm than 10 men and Musk is a, well we all know what Musk is. 

As far as Hamm, I'm hoping Noah Hawley gives him some material he's worthy of on the new season of Fargo. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, General Days said:

Are both UBA and NDN (YDA's network) supposed to be broadcast networks, or is NDN a cable outlet?

I think they are both broadcast networks.  Think of it like the Today Show merging with Good Morning America.  It would be insane.   

• Like 2
4 hours ago, SeanBug said:

I thought Marks had hacked Alex's phone too, but I guess he was still just on Bradley's. 

It's like the writer's have a good idea, but they don't think it thru and just go ahead and put it in the script and it's up to the viewers to notice that it's so illogical it's laughable. No business deal of that magnitude is done on the say so of an anchor and the network President. There are attorneys, accountants, the FCC, the Board, etc.  And in the middle of the night to boot? Yeah right. 

That side view close up made me think about how nose jobs can get outdated.  

When Alex was going into the board room and the classical music was playing it looked like they were copying Successions but failed.  

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Bluesky said:

That side view close up made me think about how nose jobs can get outdated.  

When Alex was going into the board room and the classical music was playing it looked like they were copying Successions but failed.  

There was an episode of Friends that was a flashback of Monica and Rachel going to the prom, I think, and they had a fake nose on Aniston, as it was pre nose job Rachel. That looked more realistic than what she's done to her face now. 

They really want to be on the same level of Succession.  And I guess they thought bringing in stars like Aniston and Reese, they had a winning formula.  Carell is actually a very good actor, but he was wasted on that half assed Matt Lauer harassment plot from S1 & S2.   

It's interesting that the best performances come from people who are not the big stars Apple banked on. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, weaver said:

She's always projecting a silliness.  Don't know if that was the actress' or the writers fault.  Course one of the reasons I gave up the network morning shows was because of the silliness, so maybe she nailed it.  

One thing I thought about this season was that for a show called The Morning Show, that show was mostly a background plot point this season.  It was all corporate intrigue and finding out Bradley's secret regarding the Insurrection. 

On the positive side, I did enjoy Chip's meltdown.  He came off as completely bonkers and I don't know how anyone could take him seriously, but they did it! 

I also still have no idea why they cast Tig Nataro as Paul's assistant given how little they gave her to do.  It's just like it wasn't clear to me why they kept Nestor Carbonell on the payroll when I don't think he actually did anything substantial this season.   

• Like 5
5 hours ago, txhorns79 said:

I think they are both broadcast networks.  Think of it like the Today Show merging with Good Morning America.  It would be insane.   

But it would actually be not just like Today/GMA, but like NBC merging with ABC, right? Wasn't that the nature of the proposal? 

I really liked the finale otherwise, but I found that ludicrous. 

• Like 3

I’d thought for most of the season that Marks had perpetrated the hack. Did he, or did he just mine it more throughly? I think Marks was originally interested in UBA for ego reasons but also saw it as a fat target for takeover and sell off as his problems at Hyperion got worse. I wonder if we’ll see him next season, claiming to be a reformed man.

If there’s even a spark of realism, the merged networks will sell off half their broadcast spectrum for big bucks and then sort out between broadcast and streamer. Alex and Laura together in the teacup, Yanko and Chris on on the streamer? Meanwhile Bradley, on parole after a plea bargain, becomes a citizen journalist

To me it’s pretty obvious that we’re getting Cory/Bradley next season.

• Like 2

But it would actually be not just like Today/GMA, but like NBC merging with ABC, right? Wasn't that the nature of the proposal? 

Yes, I was just trying to give an idea of what it would be like for TMS itself.  Maybe that means Mindy Kahling is going to be a regular character. 

On 11/9/2023 at 10:45 AM, Emmybean said:

Meanwhile Bradley, on parole after a plea bargain, becomes a citizen journalist

I'd be amazed if Bradley actually goes to prison.  I would guess she would plea out and get probation, or maybe a limited house arrest and then probation.  I am curious what they will do with her character.  If the full story comes out, I don't see how she could return to UBA/NBN in any kind of news position.

I also thought about it and realized that between Bradley and Alex, they have had three on air meltdowns in three years.  Alex at the end of the first and second seasons, and Bradley this season.        

On 11/9/2023 at 10:45 AM, Emmybean said:

I’d thought for most of the season that Marks had perpetrated the hack. Did he, or did he just mine it more throughly?

This is one of the plot points that makes me feel like I should rewatch the season. I'm not sure they were ever definitive about it, but I'm pretty sure I'm convinced Marks orchestrated the hack.

If there’s even a spark of realism, the merged networks will sell off half their broadcast spectrum for big bucks and then sort out between broadcast and streamer. Alex and Laura together in the teacup, Yanko and Chris on on the streamer? Meanwhile Bradley, on parole after a plea bargain, becomes a citizen journalist

I think this sounds likely. Although I have wondered if Bradley's coverup of Hal's January 6th involvement was inspired by Chris Cuomo and Andrew Cuomo. I mean the sibling coverup aspect of it, since the Cuomo thing was not 1/6 related -- but they already covered most of the sex abuse/abuse of power in season one.

Bradley's coming storyline could be a takeoff on Alexandra Pelosi's January 6th documentary. Just a thought.

To me it’s pretty obvious that we’re getting Cory/Bradley next season.

I can't make up my mind if they'll go there or not. I can't imagine their story is done, though.

1 hour ago, txhorns79 said:

Yes, I was just trying to give an idea of what it would be like for TMS itself.  Maybe that means Mindy Kahling is going to be a regular character. 

Got it. My brain was a little hyper-focused on the improbability of such a big deal. I always want to see more of Mindy Kaling though, and she seems to relish this role.

I'd be amazed if Bradley actually goes to prison.  I would guess she would plea out and get probation, or maybe a limited house arrest and then probation. 

I agree.      

On 11/8/2023 at 3:25 AM, weaver said:

Yeah, that was way out of character for someone as smart and cagey as Paul, who should have known better. (I was reminded of my mom saying something that made it obvious she’d read my diary, because it was something innocuous I’d never mentioned to her. She was not the sharpest crayon in the box. I was around 11 or 12 and never wrote in a diary again.)

If I were Alex I’d have been creeped out that he might have been surveilling not just Bradley but Alex as well. Getting in the same bed again? Oh, HELL no.

My favorite part: Chip’s epic tirade and the snarky commentary that followed.

On 11/8/2023 at 5:18 AM, Sarahsmile416 said:

The real crime of this season was the underutilization of Tig Notaro!

I’ll second that!

• Like 2
On 11/8/2023 at 9:16 PM, General Days said:

That was how I understood it. But I don't get how that would be better than Paul selling off the whole company. Because the Disney/Fox merger taught me that one company can't own two broadcast networks in the US (which is why The Fox network wasn't part of the deal). So UBA and NBN become one networks, keep all the real successful shows and people and fire everyone else. And since there are only a limited number of hours in a day for network TV that is a lot of fired people.

On 11/8/2023 at 11:13 AM, General Days said:

I didn't have a problem with Marks saying "Hanover." He's just seen it. He didn't have much time to process Alex's text to Bradley, before Alex walked in, and he's been diligent in trying to force a team with Alex in one way or another, since his introduction to the show. 

Would he have just seen it? Was Marks just doing surveillance on Bradley. Because while Homeland was not a great show, one thing it did do well was show how hard surveillance of people really is. And if Marks was tapping the phones of a bunch of people that would take a ton of time.

On 11/8/2023 at 12:27 PM, SeanBug said:

I'm not sure what Hal's defense is. "I'm an idiot who believed a bunch of stupid shit that got people killed" isn't going to get him very far. Bradley was trying to help her idiot brother and got caught up in the emotions of protecting her screwed up family.  I have to say tho, you got blamed for telling the police your father hit and killed a kid, then your brother gives you shit about not ratting him out for trying to overthrow the US government.  Maybe it's time to cut bait and get away from this bunch of losers. 

I imagine Hal's only possible defense is no actual defense, just pleading guilty and hoping for some kind of leniency in exchange for that. Maybe giving up the guys who brought him to Washington in exchange for a lighter sentence. 

On 11/8/2023 at 2:55 AM, Snazzy Daisy said:

“I’ll miss you.”    
“Me too.”

Billy f-king Crudup! 👏🏻

Yeah...that was pretty sloppy...you would never see a high profile person like Bradley walk into the New York FBI building without at least one or two lawyers and their assistants accompanying her. And there certainly would be a gaggle of reporters and some TV news crews there also. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Hedgehog2022 said:

Yeah...that was pretty sloppy...you would never see a high profile person like Bradley walk into the New York FBI building without at least one or two lawyers and their assistants accompanying her. And there certainly would be a gaggle of reporters and some TV news crews there also. 

All Bradley ever needs is the supportive Alex Levy… 😆

The closeup on Aniston made me think they wanted to capture the magic of the finale of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, when there was a long closeup on Rachel Brosnahan's face. It worked there, because that Rachel can move her face!

I'm in agreement with the criticisms that putting the deal in place in one day was ludicrous. And how the hell would one of the big three networks have the money to buy one of the others nowadays? "They'll save money on shared expenses" was a pretty silly explanation.

I also didn't care for the respectful, calm conversation between Alex and Paul where he seemed to be repentant, and not holding any kind of grudge. It wasn't believable. Someone this driven and ruthless would not be pleasant to the woman who just publicly humiliated him and smashed his dreams.

Apparently the writers really like to try to redeem awful men this way.They spent season one showing us that Mitch was a predator, who used every manipulative slut-shaming tactic in the book when Hannah called him out, but then in season two they had to show us that he was really a decent guy who just didn't consider the power dynamics blah blah blah. I didn't buy it with Mitch, and I don't buy it with Paul.

• Like 3
On 11/8/2023 at 5:24 PM, SeanBug said:

There was an episode of Friends that was a flashback of Monica and Rachel going to the prom, I think, and they had a fake nose on Aniston, as it was pre nose job Rachel. That looked more realistic than what she's done to her face now. 

They really want to be on the same level of Succession.  And I guess they thought bringing in stars like Aniston and Reese, they had a winning formula.  Carell is actually a very good actor, but he was wasted on that half assed Matt Lauer harassment plot from S1 & S2.   

It's interesting that the best performances come from people who are not the big stars Apple banked on. 

Succession killed it with the casting.   Aniston and Reese are so commercial and are everywhere.  It would never be quality TV  just basic network stuff. 

On 11/13/2023 at 12:23 AM, Hedgehog2022 said:

I don't know. Her lawyers could certainly be meeting them in the lobby. I don't think Bradley and Hal were summoned to the FBI, right? They decided to turn themselves in. The media wouldn't know about that, unless someone told them. If there was no appointment, or whatever, there would be nothing to leak to the media.

On 11/14/2023 at 7:00 AM, Blakeston said:

I also didn't care for the respectful, calm conversation between Alex and Paul where he seemed to be repentant, and not holding any kind of grudge. It wasn't believable. Someone this driven and ruthless would not be pleasant to the woman who just publicly humiliated him and smashed his dreams.

Apparently the writers really like to try to redeem awful men this way.They spent season one showing us that Mitch was a predator, who used every manipulative slut-shaming tactic in the book when Hannah called him out, but then in season two they had to show us that he was really a decent guy who just didn't consider the power dynamics blah blah blah. I didn't buy it with Mitch, and I don't buy it with Paul.

I haven't made up my mind about the Alex/Paul stuff yet. I do see your point, but I also think the writers, directors, Aniston, and Hamm did a decent job of showing us that both Alex and Paul were smitten with each other and surprised by that. I think it threw them both off of their game.

I never thought the show tried to tell us Mitch was decent either, though. Even Mitch knows some of what he did was dead wrong. We could see it in season one (I think), in his scenes alone with the Martin Short character. 

• Like 1
On 11/10/2023 at 5:52 PM, txhorns79 said:

Ugh god please no.  I can’t stand Mindy’s valley girl voice and childish demeanor.  Everything I’ve ever seen her in she always acts so immature and shallow.

Julianna Margulies is beautiful but dear lord she can’t move her face anymore.  I’d think that would be detrimental for an actor.  

On 11/17/2023 at 8:39 PM, General Days said:

don't know. Her lawyers could certainly be meeting them in the lobby. I don't think Bradley and Hal were summoned to the FBI, right? They decided to turn themselves in. The media wouldn't know about that, unless someone told them. If there was no appointment, or whatever, there would be nothing to leak to the media.

They could be but normally when you have a client surrendering to the FBI you sit on them and keep them in your sights at all times.

Also, why the NYC field office? Ok for Bradley cause she lives and works there but the crime and investigation is being run out of DC. Heck, if they wanted to do a quiet drop in on the FBI turn yourself in at the West Virginia field office. OR have your money lawyers arrange a meeting at their firm.

Just so stupid and unrealistic

(edited)
On 11/8/2023 at 11:27 AM, SeanBug said:

I've been distracted by her face all season. She looks ok from a distance but not in close-up.

I know he's playing a bad guy on here, but Jon Hamm is fine and very watchable. I will miss him next season, as I'm assuming he won't be back. 

The ending scene with Bradley and Corey was touching. Nice piece of work by Billy Crudup. 

Chip's tirade reminded me of how much coarser language has gotten over the past several decades. In the movie Network, the worst thing Howard Beale said was "hell"... "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" and one GD. No F-word. And it was an R-rated movie. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
(edited)
On 12/13/2023 at 3:03 PM, mostlylurking said:

Julianna Margulies is beautiful but dear lord she can’t move her face anymore.  I’d think that would be detrimental for an actor.  

I'm surprised how many actors still get work when their faces do not look natural. It is distracting to watch, especially in period films when there wasn't plastic surgery back then. I guess on a show about network news it doesn't matter as many of the anchors probably have had work done. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
On 3/24/2024 at 7:35 AM, Sweet-tea said:

I've been distracted by her face all season. She looks ok from a distance but not in close-up.

I know he's playing a bad guy on here, but Jon Hamm is fine and very watchable. I will miss him next season, as I'm assuming he won't be back. 

The ending scene with Bradley and Corey was touching. Nice piece of work by Billy Crudup. 

Chip's tirade reminded me of how much coarser language has gotten over the past several decades. In the movie Network, the worst thing Howard Beale said was "hell"... "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore" and one GD. No F-word. And it was an R-rated movie. 

If you liked Hamm in this, check out Season 5 of Fargo.  He is amazing.  I always thought he was fantastic in Mad Men. In Fargo, he shows range I had no idea he possessed.  He has played jerks of a sort in Mad Men and here on Morning Show, in Fargo he is absolutely terrifying. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
11 hours ago, SeanBug said:

If you liked Hamm in this, check out Season 5 of Fargo.  He is amazing.  I always thought he was fantastic in Mad Men. In Fargo, he shows range I had no idea he possessed.  He has played jerks of a sort in Mad Men and here on Morning Show, in Fargo he is absolutely terrifying. 

Thanks for the tip! I also thought he was great in Mad Men. I’ve been meaning to check out Fargo, at least the season he is in. 

5 minutes ago, Sweet-tea said:

Thanks for the tip! I also thought he was great in Mad Men. I’ve been meaning to check out Fargo, at least the season he is in. 

Fargo always jumps around in its timelines.  And don't fall for the "This is a true story" tag line.  I have lost count the number of people I had to explain, "no it's not true".

Watch the first season, it is a masterpiece. Billy Bob Thornton, Martin Freeman, Glenn Howerton, Allison Tolman and Colin Hanks star. 

The second is also great, I think Jean Smart won an Emmy for her role. Third and fourth are okay, (fourth is the weakest), but Hawley redeemed himself with Season 5.  It has some call backs to the movie in the way some early scenes are set up , and Juno Temple's character could have been in Special Forces, she knows more about booby traps than the kid in Home Alone. 

the ending was very anti-climatic.  a merger of two networks and laying off of half the employees is no better a solution that selling off UBN for parts.  instead of Marks getting rich, its the shareholders/board.  i doubt the fired employees are getting nice golden parachutes.  probably 2 weeks pay.