Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 10/16/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Oct. 16 – Kerry Washington (author, “Thicker Than Water: A Memoir”)

Tuesday, Oct. 17 – Cast of ABC’s “Shark Tank” including Mark Cuban, Barbara Corcoran, Kevin O’Leary, Daymond John, Robert Herjavec and Lori Greiner; John Grisham (author, “The Exchange”)

Wednesday, Oct. 18 – Rachel Maddow (author, “Prequel: An American Fight Against Fascism”); Dolly Parton (author, “Behind the Seams: My Life in Rhinestones”)

Thursday, Oct. 19 – Nathan Lane and Bowen Yang (film, “Dicks: The Musical”); Breast Cancer Awareness Month exclusive interview with Linda Evangelista

Friday, Oct. 20 – “50th Anniversary of Hip Hop” performance

• Thanks 1

Holy moly, two of my fav people on earth on the same day. I have been so busy lately and haven’t had time to watch every day, but nothing is going to get in the way of Wednesday’s show. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

As one of the panel pointed out, Jada and Will seem to be sticking to the letter of the law concerning marriage, but they have definitely lost the spirit of it. According to Jada, she promised she wouldn't give cause for divorce (at least, I think that is what I heard). What planet is she on? She's given more than one cause that most people would consider reason for divorce.

Technically they haven't gotten divorced but in every other way, they are divorced. Maybe there's an issue with money preventing that, but good legal representation should help with that obstacle. Plenty of people with kids stay on good enough terms while being divorced - there's no reason they couldn't do that. 

The mystery to me is that Will Smith seems to go along with this, supporting Jada's antics while she chips away at his image. Maybe he does something behind the scenes, but you never hear about any pushback on these things.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

So is the Smith drama the top story of the day?  Really?  I don’t give a flying… whatever about them or their relationship, but I give Wil credit for not fighting her in public. (Of course he had no qualms about fighting Chris Rock in public.)  If that makes him appear weak to some, so be it. 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, 2JEWELL said:

No Sunny, that glimpse into Jada’s toxic thoughts does not rehabilitate Will’s assault on Chris Rock. He is just as bad as she is.

Will Smith was a different person before he got involved with Jada.  Being with her changed his personality.  And not for the better.  I'm not blaming her for that.  Will is his own person and chose to stay with someone I think was not good for him.  I said on a different thread I think she was in love with Tupac Shakur but he only loved her as a friend.  And after his death never let Will forget he wasn't Tupac.  Also I think he had regrets about his first divorce. On the day the papers were signed his first wife asked him to give their marriage another try and he signed the papers and left to be with Jada. In his book he said he never really got over doing that. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
6 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I don't get why they are both writing books about their miserable relationship and their kids.

Do not care.

I'm guessing there are several reasons: a) money - not just book sales, but excerpt money and so on; b) keeps them in the public eye, when neither of them is very popular. Will, especially, lost a lot of good will after that Oscar slap; c) narcissism - some people just need to be in the spotlight, even if it isn't that flattering. 

I think that they (particularly Jada) are wearing out the welcome with the confusing narratives and the suggestion that they are somehow more evolved and "authentic" than other people. 

• Like 9
  • Applause 1
14 hours ago, KittyQ said:

The mystery to me is that Will Smith seems to go along with this, supporting Jada's antics while she chips away at his image. Maybe he does something behind the scenes, but you never hear about any pushback on these things.

There have been rumors floating around for some time that Will also enjoys the company of men, so perhaps that's why he stays with Jada. Because I seriously doubt he'd want her to confirm said rumor.

• Mind Blown 1
13 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

There have been rumors floating around for some time that Will also enjoys the company of men, so perhaps that's why he stays with Jada. Because I seriously doubt he'd want her to confirm said rumor.

I can see where that might have been an issue back when they got married, but currently many celebrities are announcing how their sexuality varies from what we learned about in health class. It seems to make them even more popular, or at least gets them publicity. 

7 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

The lady who is talking about breast cancer...is that her gray hair sparkling or is that  something added. I really love it so I'm going  to need to know. 

I thought she had tinsel in her hair!

Great show today with Rachel and Dolly. I could listen to either of them all day. 

• Like 7
12 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I thought she had tinsel in her hair!

Great show today with Rachel and Dolly. I could listen to either of them all day. 

I thought it looked like tiny pieces of tinsel too:  Dolly would approve of the glitter!   And Rachel looked like she was really enjoying talking to the ladies & being on the show,  I need to check out her book.

• Like 1

I had a hairdresser who would call it my sparkles.  

I need to read Rachel's book.  I could listen to her talk all day because she knows her stuff.  

Dolly - she's the best thing about being from Tennessee.  She's another one I could listen to all day simply because she still seems so down to earth. 

Too bad more of The View's episodes can't be more like Wednesday's show.  I can't remember the last time I actually watched the show from beginning to end.   

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Nathan Lane and Bowen Yang were delightful! I wish they had been on longer.

Poor Linda Evangelista - she's had such terrible experiences with surgery of any kind! The initial breast cancer lumpectomy turning into double mastectomy is so awful. I've been told that DCIS treatment is less debilitating than more extensive breast cancers (and my personal experience bears this out) so it is horrifying that she ended up with such a radical result. 

• Sad 2
On 10/18/2023 at 1:46 PM, KittyQ said:

I can see where that might have been an issue back when they got married, but currently many celebrities are announcing how their sexuality varies from what we learned about in health class. It seems to make them even more popular, or at least gets them publicity. 

Depends on who's "announcing" their sexuality and whether they've been in what many considered to be a very happy hetero marriage. 

IMO, W&J were always over the top with their relationship. And now that many perceive Jada as emasculating, I doubt this would be the time to be making any "announcements". 

• Like 3
7 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Yeah, they were not too subtle with their disdain of some nepo babies baby. 

Right.  Not the first time Ana has made it clear that The View has not had a good experience with nepo babies 🙂

Loved Sunny's birthday hip hop concert.   Doug E. Fresh never ages!

• Like 7
  • Love 1

Lol, Ana's tirade was a thing of beauty.  I transcribed it for anyone who missed it.  BTW, Sunny must still be on good terms with a certain former host because she had a sour face while Ana was talking.*

Ana:   . . . . . . . . Nobody has an issue with a Gwyneth Paltro or a Liza Minelli or a Mitt Romney.  These are people who may have started off as a nepo-baby, who may have started off with doors opening because of who their father or their mother was, but who worked, who have earned it, who had talent, who had merit, who have risen up because of what they've done.

The people who give nepo-babies a bad name are the people who start every sentence with "my father" or "my mother," are the people who are talentless dolts and instead of being humble and grateful for the opportunities they are given because they won the ovarian lottery, are caustic brats, entitled and privileged, who make everybody's life hell because they know they can't be fired because of who they are. 

ETA: *OK, I might have to take that back.  The sour face may be for a different reason.  I was reading the comments on Youtube and someone said a certain former host has been liking tweets all week that criticize Sunny.  Take it with a grain of salt since I haven't checked.  

Edited by Gemma Violet
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

Lol, Ana's tirade was a thing of beauty.  I transcribed it for anyone who missed it.  BTW, Sunny must still be on good terms with a certain former host because she had a sour face while Ana was talking.*

ETA: *OK, I might have to take that back.  The sour face may be for a different reason.  I was reading the comments on Youtube and someone said a certain former host has been liking tweets all week that criticize Sunny.  Take it with a grain of salt since I haven't checked.  

Hopefully this doesn't need to be in the past co-hosts forum, but here's at least one tweet she liked that was attacking Sunny 

Untitled 7.png

• Useful 2
On 10/20/2023 at 10:05 PM, Gemma Violet said:

I loved it. Ana looked beautiful too. 

Not surprised. I couldn't be friends with someone who liked such negative tweets about me. 

• Like 2
On 10/23/2023 at 9:13 AM, After7Only said:

She has said on the show that she takes Ozempic  (for her type 2 diabetes 🙂)

I thought she was quoted someplace as saying she was taking it being “pre- diabetic “. Can you get drunk when you’ have type 2 diabetes? My best friend has been diabetic for several years taking different medications and changing them  and testing daily. He stopped even having glass of wine when we go out for dinner. 

On 10/25/2023 at 2:58 PM, athousandclowns said:

Can you get drunk when you’ have type 2 diabetes?

Yes. I'm type 2, and I get drunk on champagnee on New Year's Eve. 

We can still drink alcohol--in moderation. I take two meds: one twice daily; the other weekly.

And yes, I thought Ana said she took Ozempic for weight loss-as others do and this pisses me off-at the doctors and those taking it, because it's not going to those who NEED it and is causing a shortage.

• Like 3