Type keyword(s) to search

S17.E01: Mile-High Matrimony

• Start Topic

On 10/19/2023 at 10:05 AM, kristen111 said:

Then came Keisha with three of the girls talking nothing of value.  I didn’t even finish.  Total three hrs.

Well, there were a few interesting things when they got to the guys (this was a 1-hour show, and she interviewed the girls first and then the guys):

• Orion had a haircut, and although it was still long, it looked sooo much better.
  • Austin was wearing a freaking baseball cap...really, bro?
  • Brennan was wearing a t-shirt...and when women come on, they often overdress.
  • Orion told his story about having gone on a date with a guy, and Austin and Brennan had never heard that before. It makes me tend to agree with whoever said (either upthread or in a previous episode thread) that it doesn't seem like the guys got that close with each other this season.
On 10/19/2023 at 12:00 PM, Crashcourse said:

Also, Brennan kind of got on my nerves constantly talking about being married for life.  I kept thinking, "Just wait until you have to deal with drunken Emily for the rest of your life."

It was ridiculous, especially given that when one of his guys asked about what he'd do if they were miserable (or something like that), he indicated he would still stick it out. Makes me think he'd be the type to stay married in name, but not at all in spirit.

On 10/20/2023 at 4:28 PM, Meowwww said:

So question. The opening scene of the guy getting ditched at the wedding. Was that before what we saw on the rest of the show?  Or was it a future scene then they went back to the beginning?  

On 10/20/2023 at 6:02 PM, Crashcourse said:

They showed the opening scene of the guy getting ditched, then they flashed back to 14 (I think) days earlier when they showed his introduction and getting dressed for the wedding. 

Yes. On the screen, after the opening scene of the leaving at the altar, the screen showed "Two weeks earlier."

On 10/19/2023 at 12:39 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Michael has zero self-awareness. The "experts" destroyed what little credibility  they had with this choice. Girth or no girth. 

On 10/20/2023 at 6:49 PM, kikicat said:

I woke up right in the middle of the girth reveal during the After Party apparently. Unless they'd mentioned it earlier? 

On 10/20/2023 at 7:55 PM, Elizzikra said:

In his limited defense, he said on AfterParty that he was so drunk that he didn't remember anything about the conversation. I'm hoping the producers prompted the guys to talk raunchy for that segment and he just exhibited really poor judgment. 

Michael wasn't the girth guy...it was Orion.

The main mention of the girth was during the bachelor party...they were re-discussing it on the After Party.

And I don't believe for a second what Orion said on After Party that implied the "girth certificate" comment was a drunken on-the-spot comment. I think he's used that line many times before.

On 10/19/2023 at 9:53 AM, suzeecat said:

I think blonde got ghosted in the past because she drank too much.  

On 10/21/2023 at 11:33 AM, JenE4 said:

With Emily, I feel like the matchmakers should have observed her “in her natural habitat” on a date to see why no one has ever stuck around for more than 3 dates instead of just going by the daytime, sober interviews and thinking, well, she seems okay to me. Hell, had they spoken to her “best friends” they would have eagerly revealed all of her red flags in advance. 

The 'experts' talked about Emily not having been in love before or been in a relationship, but they did not give near enough weight to the fact that every time she dated a guy, she never got past the third date and they ghosted her. And perhaps most importantly. in terms of her throng of red flags, is that she said she thought the relationships were going well and she doesn't know why they ghosted her!  When people you date choose to end the relationship after the third date AND it's 100% of the time AND they always choose to end it by ghosting AND you thought the relationships were going along well AND you have no idea why they did it, that should have warranted some serious consideration/discussion/dissection/examination by the 'experts'!

• Like 7
  • Applause 4
6 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

And I don't believe for a second what Orion said on After Party that implied the "girth certificate" comment was a drunken on-the-spot comment. I think he's used that line many times before.

You know it!  Either that or it was something he thought up just to be clever on tv - which is even worse 😂

• LOL 4
15 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Well, there were a few interesting things when they got to the guys (this was a 1-hour show, and she interviewed the girls first and then the guys):

• Orion had a haircut, and although it was still long, it looked sooo much better.
  • Austin was wearing a freaking baseball cap...really, bro?
  • Brennan was wearing a t-shirt...and when women come on, they often overdress.
  • Orion told his story about having gone on a date with a guy, and Austin and Brennan had never heard that before. It makes me tend to agree with whoever said (either upthread or in a previous episode thread) that it doesn't seem like the guys got that close with each other this season.

Thanks for this summary. We don't get the After Show in Canada so it really helps to know what people are talking about. Anything interesting about the girls?

Interesting. On the Aftershow, Lauren said they didn't air her friend asking if she was marrying a man or woman. I doubt MAFS would ever do a same sex marriage & how would they participate in the bachelor/bachelorette party? Exclude them altogether? 🤔🧐

• Useful 2

Emily's vows were the worst I have ever seen in the history of this show (and I have watched every season).  Lindz, you are totally right that starting your vows by saying you have never had a relationship is not a smart move, to put it mildly!! But things got worse as she went on to say that she looked forward to him proving that she had done the right thing and making her feel good about herself for the rest of her life, and then using a horse riding metaphor and shouting WOOT when it was over like she was at a bar!! I'm amazed he didn't run away at that point.

I like him--I'm a New Yorker so that's part of it, but I also think he has class, as do his parents, and she has absolutely none.

• Like 5
  • Applause 4
1 hour ago, Alexander Pope said:

Emily's vows were the worst I have ever seen in the history of this show (and I have watched every season).

I cannot stand when they use their vows to just make a cutesy speech! There was not a singe "vow' in her vows - why get married if you can't take it seriously from the get go!

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
20 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

You're asking this of people who go on a highly manufactured reality TV show to marry a stranger selected by people with a dreadful success record?

So true!!!!! I am completely baffled by the responses on the after show that a couple of the gals had never watched the show! I get not having watched it if you were approached by producers through a dating app, and you didn't apply because you were a super fan, but how could you sign up for this without checking it out first? Or at least googling the success rate?

I did like that one of them addressed signing up despite the low success rate - "the ones that do make it are so inspiring" - maybe they convince themselves that they will be one of the few that do make a successful match? I think that severely underestimates the desire of the producers for drahhhhmahhhh....

• Like 3
On 10/24/2023 at 1:03 PM, Alexander Pope said:

I like him--I'm a New Yorker so that's part of it, but I also think he has class, as do his parents, and she has absolutely none.

Ditto from a fellow New Yorker. 

• Like 1
On 10/23/2023 at 3:34 PM, Lindz said:

Interesting. On the Aftershow, Lauren said they didn't air her friend asking if she was marrying a man or woman. I doubt MAFS would ever do a same sex marriage & how would they participate in the bachelor/bachelorette party? Exclude them altogether? 🤔🧐

The American version hasn't but the Australian and British versions have had same-sex couples!

• Like 1
On 10/25/2023 at 12:19 PM, Ilovepie said:

I did like that one of them addressed signing up despite the low success rate - "the ones that do make it are so inspiring" - maybe they convince themselves that they will be one of the few that do make a successful match? 

Lauren. Maybe she thought MAFS would find her a Greg, Woody. Or even a Vincent. 

• Like 2

So this episode was sitting in my DVR for a week and I finally watched it last night.  Okay, I ff'd through most of it.

Emily is a disaster.  No way will her marriage work.  I'm not shading her for being 29 and never having been in a serious relationship (unlike her "friends") but I will shade her for being a drunken fool.  Girl, you're on camera.  Your future husband will see this.  His family will see this.  Has no one (i.e., her "friends") ever told her WHY she's getting ghosted by 100% of her dates?  Obviously, the "experts" weren't interested in finding out but talk about a huge red flag.  I feel sorry for Brennan and I have zero hope for them.

I don't see Lauren and Orion making it - although I didn't see Brianna and Vincent making it either, so there's that.  I don't think Orion is manly enough for her, if that makes sense.  And please, no more "girth" comments.  Was that whole thing a set up?  Because Lauren was the one mentioning size from the girls' side as well.

I feel badly for Michael, regardless of the reason he had a runaway bride.  When he walked up with the crown and scepter and the asymmetrical hair and piercings, I honestly thought someone from the bride's side would legit send her a text and tell her to run.  From the intro, I was thinking that would be my fear if I was ever on a show like MAFS because if my first view of my husband-to-be at the end of the altar was Michael, not going to lie, I would panic.  Of course, once we got more info on him, he seems like a really nice, intelligent man.  He shouldn't have to change for anybody - but maybe tone it down just a little in the beginning until people get to know you.  

I pretty much dozed off in between ff'ing and don't really remember anyone else.  

• Like 2
On 10/25/2023 at 9:52 PM, PupCal said:

The American version hasn't but the Australian and British versions have had same-sex couples!

I think the reason they won't do that now is because they make the couples hang out and spend all that time together and that would put their numbers off.  And the can't just stick the same sex couple with their gender together, because the point of those meet-ups is to talk about your spouse.  But they also can't make one man go with the wives, or one woman go with the men.

On 10/28/2023 at 7:40 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

As for Orion and Lauren: How does being proud of one's own culture translate to being thrilled to learn about someone  else's? 

In their case they both made a huge deal out of it - they seem more than proud; both said their new spouse had better understand it or else, and they both did mention openness to learning about a spouse's culture as well.  In this particular case I think they could really enjoy each other.

• Useful 1
5 hours ago, princelina said:

And the can't just stick the same sex couple with their gender together, because the point of those meet-ups is to talk about your spouse.  But they also can't make one man go with the wives, or one woman go with the men.

They did in the season 7 UK version!

On 10/23/2023 at 3:34 PM, Lindz said:

I doubt MAFS would ever do a same sex marriage & how would they participate in the bachelor/bachelorette party? Exclude them altogether?

I forgot the new season of MAFS was beginning, missed the first three episodes, and am now getting caught up.

Married at First Sight UK had both a lesbian couple and a gay couple in the most recent season. 

They had one of the lesbian women and one of the gay men attend the hen do (British term for bachelorette party), and the other lesbian woman and gay man attend the stag (British term for bachelor) party.

It worked out fine because one of the lesbian women and one of the gay men presented as being more feminine, while the other lesbian woman and gay man presented as being more masculine. 

Edited by TwirlyGirly
On 10/18/2023 at 11:12 PM, Ms.C. said:

If he really wants love and marriage, why present himself like a psycho?   I wonder if he had any relationships before?  Accepting him was a HUMONGOUS mistake.  He is not what any woman wants to be surprised by.

On 10/19/2023 at 12:39 AM, LennieBriscoe said:

Michael has zero self-awareness. The "experts" destroyed what little credibility  they had with this choice.

If I was in my late twenties to mid-thirties I absolutely would date Michael. And just for the record, it would not be because my personal style is at all similar to his; it's not.

Michael appears to be quite intelligent, and his quirky style tells me he's confident, playful, and open-minded. Someone who lives by "Don't sweat the small stuff; it's all small stuff."

Those are all great traits. 

I understand that many of you wouldn't date him because you don't care for his personal style, and that's okay.

But you not wanting to date him doesn't mean there are no women who would. Each of us can only speak for ourselves.

In regards to Brennan and his refusal to divorce no matter what: he seems to be forgetting (or is refusing to acknowledge) his bride can file for divorce whether he likes it or not. Brennan doesn't have unilateral control over whether he and his wife stay married, or get a divorce. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
On 11/1/2023 at 10:41 PM, TwirlyGirly said:

Married at First Sight UK had both a lesbian couple and a gay couple in the most recent season. 

They had one of the lesbian women and one of the gay men attend the hen do (British term for bachelorette party), and the other lesbian woman and gay man attend the stag (British term for bachelor) party.

It worked out fine because one of the lesbian women and one of the gay men presented as being more feminine, while the other lesbian woman and gay man presented as being more masculine. 

But in the US version it's not just the bachelor/ette parties but all of the times they're put together in groups to talk about the spouses.  Isn't there some sort of modern day way to take offense at having one half of a gay couple be considered the husband/wife?  And they'd be taking a chance that they'd be happy with that.  I'm good friends with 3 gay couples (1 female, 2 male) and I don't think any of them would be happy to be sent with the other group.  I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but that they way they have the show set up makes it not worth the potential trouble.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, princelina said:

But in the US version it's not just the bachelor/ette parties but all of the times they're put together in groups to talk about the spouses.  Isn't there some sort of modern day way to take offense at having one half of a gay couple be considered the husband/wife?  And they'd be taking a chance that they'd be happy with that.  I'm good friends with 3 gay couples (1 female, 2 male) and I don't think any of them would be happy to be sent with the other group.  I'm not saying it couldn't be done, but that they way they have the show set up makes it not worth the potential trouble.

They could alternate them or ask the couple themselves who wants to go where. Honestly, I’d put up with some changes to format to see them work with a same sex couple (although to be fair, why I’d want to subject anyone to the misguided “wisdom” of the “experts” is a mystery…)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

They could alternate them or ask the couple themselves who wants to go where. Honestly, I’d put up with some changes to format to see them work with a same sex couple (although to be fair, why I’d want to subject anyone to the misguided “wisdom” of the “experts” is a mystery…)

They could, but maybe the people would say, "We're both women and we want to be with the women, thank you" and then it ruins the dynamic of talking about the marriages/spouses while the other is not present.  I'm not saying it couldn't be done, just why I think it's not.

• Like 1