Type keyword(s) to search

The View: Week of 9/25/2023

falltime
  • Start Topic

Monday, Sept. 25 –Day of Hot Topics

Tuesday, Sept. 26 – Cassidy Hutchinson (author, “Enough”)

Wednesday, Sept. 27 – To Be Announced

Thursday, Sept. 28 – Gerry Turner (ABC’s “The Golden Bachelor”)

Friday, Sept. 29 – One of Latin music’s biggest stars, Carlos Vives, with a performance of “Las Mujeres”

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, js9548 said:

What was Anna referring to with her pirate and peg leg comment? i guess I did not understand. 

I'm guessing some kind of penis-related joke along the lines of a man having a "third leg" but it was not well-thought out, IMO. Also, not funny. Joy is better with the double entendre comments; Ana isn't really all that funny, although she can be witty on occasion. 

• Like 1

Why does Whoopi seem to equate diminished mental facilities with psychopathology? She persists in muddying the discussion with things that are not equivalent.

You can be a sociopath or narcissist and have great mental abilities, and you can be a great humanitarian but not have mental acuity. It would be wonderful if all representatives were humanitarians and mentally able, but unfortunately, that's not the common case. Effective leaders need to be able to attend to business all the time and be able to understand issues and articulate solutions. They also need to be able to inspire confidence and support from their constituents. Older people are more likely to suffer from memory loss and difficulty focusing than younger people, but even some younger people with severe health issues can have these problems as well. 

Anyone of any age who is not able to do the job adequately should leave it to someone else. 

• Like 2
13 hours ago, KittyQ said:

Anyone of any age who is not able to do the job adequately should leave it to someone else. 

True, but who gets to make the decision as to whether the job is being done adequately? There can be widely diverging ideas on that.

• Like 5

Gah, can you imagine trying to date Sunny’s son?  Poor girl tries to make nice and Sunny calls it manipulative. Sunny is going to be the MIL from hell.

I think I’ll pity Travis Kelce when he and TS break up and alllll those teenage girls come after him. 🤣

Edited by Haleth
  • Like 7
  • LOL 2
9 hours ago, shok said:

True, but who gets to make the decision as to whether the job is being done adequately? There can be widely diverging ideas on that.

Party Leaders - aren't they the people who normally deal with the members when there are questions about their behavior or fitness? Also, I'm not talking about things that would be difficult to discern - obviously not being able to follow discussions and participate in committees, regular absenteeism, frequently falling asleep, etc.  From the Constitution: "Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, " - emphasis is mine.

I don’t think Cassidy really gave an answer to why she continued to support Trump after Jan 6 except to repeat he’s charming. Granted her mother brought to her attention when she was leaving for Mar a Lago that she had a flat affect and not herself… hmmm like in a cult?  

• Like 5
54 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I don’t think Cassidy really gave an answer to why she continued to support Trump after Jan 6 except to repeat he’s charming. Granted her mother brought to her attention when she was leaving for Mar a Lago that she had a flat affect and not herself… hmmm like in a cult?  

Yes. What she was describing sounded like a cult.  I still don't think she fully comprehends she was essentially in a cult.  I do give her credit for getting out.  That isn't always easy to do and I like that she said she realized you shouldn't have loyalty to a person but to ideals or whatever word she used.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Gah, can you imagine trying to date Sunny’s son?  Poor girl tries to make nice and Sunny calls it manipulative. Sunny is going to be the MIL from hell.

Nobody will ever be good enough for her little angel & I pity any girl that he even takes home to meet mommy dearest.

Edited by Shrek
Quoted wrong part.
  • Like 7
3 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Are you talking about Mama K or Sunny? 🤣

Oops my bad I deleted the wrong part, I'm talking about Sunny. Corrected it now thanks.

Edited by Shrek
  • Like 1
48 minutes ago, Shrek said:

Nobody will ever be good enough for her little angel & I pity any girl that he even takes home to meet mommy dearest.

Sunny is one of the most ironically nicknamed people that I have ever come across.  To be fair though, why does her son keep bringing these girls home?  He knows his mom is just going to give them the side eye and bad mouth them later.  Just spare everyone the headache unless it's serious, Gabriel. 

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Haleth said:

Yes! Heavens, in that anecdote about the gf Gabe brought home, it seemed that the girl could do nothing right - so you're a reader? What do you read? (Does Gabe really read philosophy [or whatever] for fun?) So she says she read Sunny's memoir and then Sunny thinks that was just to get in good with her. So what? At least she tried. After all, it isn't like Sunny wrote "Pride and Prejudice".  Maybe she should have said her favorite book was "Fifty Shades of Gray" or that she only reads graphic novels. That might be more authentic, but I doubt Sunny would appreciate that either. While part of the point of dating is to find out whether the couple (and in some ways their families) are compatible, the most important opinions belong to the dating couple. Everyone should at least give a good faith effort, though. 

In my family, there have been BFs/GFs who were heartily disliked by everyone except the person dating them, but we at least tried get along with them. 

Edited by KittyQ
  • Like 4
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

Altho the golden bachelor seems like a perfectly nice man, I wish the women would decide they don’t need a man to make them happy and would take off together to have adventures as girlfriends. 

Those kind of people don't sign up for a show like The Bachelor, I think. How many women applied for the show, I wonder. 

I will say that the guy seemed much more personable than I expected. 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Altho the golden bachelor seems like a perfectly nice man, I wish the women would decide they don’t need a man to make them happy and would take off together to have adventures as girlfriends. 

I'm a little confused by this comment.  It's a dating show.  They most likely signed up because they wanted to be on TV or because they thought it sounded like fun.  All the contestants are in their 60s and 70s, so it's not like they're looking to get married and start families.  No one is forcing them to do this and even with the usual Bachelor/Bachelorette contestants, most of them are just looking for 15 minutes of fame, not love.

• Like 3
On 9/27/2023 at 2:44 PM, bluegirl147 said:

Yes. What she was describing sounded like a cult.  I still don't think she fully comprehends she was essentially in a cult.  I do give her credit for getting out.  That isn't always easy to do and I like that she said she realized you shouldn't have loyalty to a person but to ideals or whatever word she used.

As articulate and bright as she is, I see (in her book which I've now read) what I think of as post-cult fog. Her mother must have seen when she mentioned Cassidy's lack of affect after Jan. 6. Trump represented (falsely) everything she valued. It's hard to rip your head away from that. 

• Like 1

I think Sunny calling Nikki Haley unqualified really triggered Alyssa.    Alyssa spent the first 2 segments trying to over talk everyone in defense of Nikki Haley.    Which makes me think Sunny might have been intentionally triggering her 🙂

• LOL 4
18 minutes ago, After7Only said:

I think Sunny calling Nikki Haley unqualified really triggered Alyssa.    Alyssa spent the first 2 segments trying to over talk everyone in defense of Nikki Haley.    Which makes me think Sunny might have been intentionally triggering her 🙂

If that’s the case - kudos to Sunny, lol

• Like 5
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

Why couldn't they do both?

• Like 4
On 9/27/2023 at 8:18 PM, KittyQ said:

(Does Gabe really read philosophy [or whatever] for fun?)

When I was in college, I ran into a good number of guys who had recently read or were reading The Art of War.  I think it's just a phase a lot of guys go through.  Makes them all feel grown up and manly.  LOL.  The fact that Sunny is impressed by it makes me roll my eyes so hard.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
17 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

When I was in college, I ran into a good number of guys who had recently read or were reading The Art of War.  I think it's just a phase a lot of guys go through.  Makes them all feel grown up and manly.  LOL.  The fact that Sunny is impressed by it makes me roll my eyes so hard.  

Yes, also some people read it for a class they're in, although I'd expect that more in one of the military academies where they study military strategy going back centuries.

I agree, being impressed that her son has read this book (which is not exactly as obscure as it used to be) is a bit much (unless he was never much of a reader before). When I was in school, I took a class on Eastern religions and read some of the classics in that field, but that hardly makes me a "scholar" who is better than anyone who reads popular fiction or non-fiction.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Snapdragon said:

Did she actually see him reading it? For all she knows he just told her that and he is in fact reading Sports Illustrated.  I'm sure Sunny's kids know it's best not to disappoint mom.

• LOL 2
17 hours ago, BuckeyeLou said:

I had not heard of Carlos Vivas before, but I enjoyed his music & his fun personality...I got a kick out of Sunny & Ana talking to him in Spanish & translating for him

I really enjoyed that segment and Vivas seemed so genuinely delighted to be there. I plan to seek out more of his music. 

• Like 3

I like Ana but she hijacked the conversation during the topic about whether you should wait for a habitually-late spouse.  It was Alyssa's turn to give her take on it and Ana started to talk about her trip to see Beyonce.  By the time she was finished, it was time for a commercial and Alyssa didn't get to talk.  

• Like 5
1 hour ago, maggiemae said:

Why does Sunny think she can have her kids be late for Easter Sunday services and then expect to make people already there move over and disperse for them?

Make them climb over to the middle seats! :-)

• Like 3
  • Applause 1
5 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Why does Sunny think she can have her kids be late for Easter Sunday services and then expect to make people already there move over and disperse for them?

Because she's an entitled witch. And if you don't move, you'll get the death stare of a lifetime, or however long the service lasts. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 2
12 hours ago, Gemma Violet said:

I like Ana but she hijacked the conversation during the topic about whether you should wait for a habitually-late spouse.  It was Alyssa's turn to give her take on it and Ana started to talk about her trip to see Beyonce.  By the time she was finished, it was time for a commercial and Alyssa didn't get to talk.  

yeah, Ana has seemed to want to move the conversation to her liking more.

11 hours ago, maggiemae said:

i thought that was a terribly entitied move on her part.  i would say no, i got her on time and this is where i want to sit. the nerve1 

• Like 6
7 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Because she's an entitled witch. And if you don't move, you'll get the death stare of a lifetime, or however long the service lasts. 

Well, that would just say, "It's Easter, Jesus Christ is risen", wouldn't it? (The death stare, that is).  Not everyone takes the message of the mass as part of their own lives, sadly.